• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle for Tatooine

Presenting

Battle for Tatooine
Created by Darwin

Map Info:

Battle for Tatooine is an AOS-style Star Wars map using a custom flight system. Rebels resist an Imperial invasion of their research base in Tatooine. Players pilot starfighters, ground vehicles, cannons, and capital ships (ATATs and a recovered Republic Command Ship). Computer AI adjusts for player number, so you can play solo, cooperatively or competitively with your friends as a Rebel or Imperial. The game will detect how many players are on each side and adjust difficulty accordingly.

Features:

As a pilot for the Rebel or Imperial most of the time you will be flying a starfighter, strafing ground troops, dodging enemy fire, bombing enemy buildings and capital ships and shooting down enemy bombers. Features of starfighter combat include:

• Linked and single fire
  • Rolls and lateral slips
  • Turret fire
  • Three types of missiles: concussion missiles, bombs, and proton torpedoes
  • Missiles home in on targets
  • Ion cannons that ionize ships for capture
  • Aerial Mines and other countermeasures
  • X-foil technology on Xwings and Bwings
  • Ion boosters
  • Sensors and jamming computers
  • adjustable camera with zoom in, zoom out, and rotate features (use arrow keys)
  • in-game help menu

Finally, the map has real Star Wars sound effects including lightsaber attacks, TIE screams, explosions, laser blasts, and more.

Additional Features:

In addition to extensive starship combat, the Battle for Tatooine includes:

• Functioning ground vehicles: ATAT, ATST, T4-B Hover Tank
  • Custom hero abilities including laser reflection, force pull, and aimbot
  • An old crashed Republic Command Ship that has one last flight in it
  • Sandpeople raiders who can be influenced to take part in the battle
  • Cannon turrets you can use to shoot down enemy ships
  • Remote-controlled missiles

Images and Video:

Map of Battlefield:
This map shows the major locations of the map.

113609-albums5010-picture50558.jpg

Hotkeys for Flight:
Flight uses right-clicks to turn and WASD for movement.

113609-albums5010-picture50557.jpg

Star Warriors:
This video shows heroes, ground vehicles, and starship combat. Watch on HD for best visual.

Change Log:

Added:
  • increased Flare shuttle speed
  • minimap pings to announce bulk freighters and the loss of the droid factory
  • unlock all ships on both sides by typing "may the force be with you" (must be entered before the first ship is piloted to keep it fair)
  • shortened tutorial introduction slightly
Fixed:
  • bug that teleported Player 5 when someone else used Shuttle Flare
  • bug where Imperial Heroes did not have their shuttle flare cooldown reset after taking a ride on the shuttle

Fixed:
  • deleted a debugging trigger that allowed you to teleport your hero

Fixed:
  • fixed a bug which left heroes immobile after Force Stab

Fixed:
  • put in safeguards against Force Stab bugs

Fixed:
  • Fixed another Force Stab bug that left Rebel heroes paralyzed

Credits:

Special Thanks:
  • Olaf Moleman
  • Illidan(Evil)X
  • Ikillforyou

Models:
  • Qassamzed
  • Morbid & Amigurumi
  • Tim
  • Dan van Ohllus
  • Iron Warrior
  • Coxxon and Syc
  • The_Silent
  • Teaspoon
  • Cavman
  • Max666
  • ChirusHighWind
  • Tranquil
  • Domokun
  • Pyramidhe@d
  • Armel
  • Naro
  • Satax
  • Game_slave
  • Frankster
Tutorials/Systems:
  • Kobas
  • Mechanical Man
  • Aesthetics
Loading Screen/Map Preview Image:
  • AL Meerow
  • Nick Kurochkin
Other:
  • Star Warriors board game by West End Games
  • Paulo Gabriel (icon)
  • MediaCollege.com for sound effects
  • Vexorian's Optimizer was used

Author's notes:

This is my first and possibly only map released for WC3. I hope you enjoy it, and please feel free to leave feedback. The map is BNet compatible (under 8MB) but only after Vexorian's optimizer shrunk it. For that reason you cannot open the map and see what I did. I'm happy to share all my work with the fine people here at the Workshop, so let me know if you'd like the larger version and I'll put it up on a pastebin for you. I don't know JASS, so there might be better ways to do the things I've done in the map, but you're all welcome to my work.

This map was made with just the World Editor and some custom scripts given to me here on the Workshop (thanks to all the people who helped!) This map is complex with many repeating triggers. I've removed all leaks (as far as I know) but slower computers may still experience lag. You can zoom in or out using your up and down arrow keys while flying. Zooming in will reduce lag. I also ask your computer quality at the start of the game; this will adjust cameras when in cannons to reduce lag.

[Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
Star Wars, Jedi, Tatooine, Starfighter, Missile, Flight
Contents

Battle for Tatooine (Map)

Reviews
10:46, 24th Aug 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Approved Update: Vengeancekael: Private Message Date: 2011/Nov/12 18:08:19 Reasons: Other: Comment: Changing rating from 4/5 to 5/5 due to updates. I recommend this map to everyone! Flying a ship...
Level 15
My review

I love Star Wars! It is one of my favourite movies. :)
This map is amazing! I love the models especially the Imperial shuttle and teh Jedi fighers! Good work. :):thumbs_up:

Terrain

It was really cool and it gave back the real Tatooine scene. I like the doodads and the textures! 5/5

Units

Amazingly chosen models and icons and units, it is really given back the feeling if i were in ST. i liked it. 5/5

Abilities

I liked the abilities, too, i liked the Jedi skills and the fighter skills, and the other spells and combats.

Other

I think the space staion is really well done, too. I love this amp and i will play it again. Luckily, i have lots of free time to do it now, it is my Christmas Holiday. Merry Xmas to you,

I have only played the rebels, but i will play the rebels, too.
The whole map's rating is 5/5/ Good job!

Level 6
Hell, awesome map!
haven't seen better star wars map ever!)
5/5, +rep)
But maybe you should make pre-action challenge a bit shorter, don't you think so?)
of course i'm waiting for anothe SW map))

Level 14
Thanks for the recent comments.

RE: Camera changes

I'm not sure what kind of camera changes you are suggesting. Could you link the map whose camera system you liked?

I tried a couple of different cameras so far. I tried one where the camera always faced the ship's facing, but it looked very fuzzy when you turned so I didn't like that one. I tried another camera where the camera was behind the ship and you were looking out in the front (like a flight simulator) but the lag was brutal and you couldn't tell who was behind you which was very frustrating.

Also, I got a few comments about how great the models are. If you mean my choice of models was well done, then thank you very much! But I should point out I didn't actually make any of the models; the credits are given in the quest dialog box as well as on the first page here.

Thanks again for the comments; it makes it all worth it.

Level 2
Dunno if this has already been said but... this map has some serious hero-dissapereance issues - I shot a flare and the shuttle picked me up and then some guy destroyed the shuttle while it was taking me away, but i didn't die, i just dissapeared from map, couldn't select my hero or find it on map or anything. Next time it happened was when I was in ATAT. At some point i simply lost control of ATAT, i couldn't select it anymore, and then when it was destroyed my character dissapeared again. I also heard some other people saying they dissapeared...

Level 14
Dunno if this has already been said but... this map has some serious hero-dissapereance issues - I shot a flare and the shuttle picked me up and then some guy destroyed the shuttle while it was taking me away, but i didn't die, i just dissapeared from map, couldn't select my hero or find it on map or anything. Next time it happened was when I was in ATAT. At some point i simply lost control of ATAT, i couldn't select it anymore, and then when it was destroyed my character dissapeared again. I also heard some other people saying they dissapeared...

I tried to replicate this by killing the ATAT while I was in it, and my hero showed up fine. I can't host games so I can't test this in multiple player mod. If you have a hero disappearance issue please let me know. If it's rampant, I can put a corrector in there (e.g. type /revive ) or something, though I'd prefer to fix the bug itself if I can.

Level 14
Thank you! I'm glad you liked it.

I'm sorry to those who have been asking for updates. I had a few ideas for making things a bit better, but since I'm smack up against the size limit it's really hard to add to it. I think it'll just have to stand on its own for now.

Level 14
I've decided to make a newer version of my map to fix bugs, address balance issues, improve flight maneuverability, and if there's room maybe include a few more features.

I've gone through the feedback posted here already, but if anyone has any comments or suggestions please post them. I'm particularly interested in issues of balance, as I haven't played multi-player very much and am not sure if some heroes or ships are overpowered.

Level 14
I'm working on a major update with some new ships, redone abilities and so forth. It'll be a few months at least though. The hard part is - to keep it battle.net ready - I need to cut material for everything new I put in.

Level 9
I'm working on a major update with some new ships, redone abilities and so forth. It'll be a few months at least though. The hard part is - to keep it battle.net ready - I need to cut material for everything new I put in.

Oh Good News ! This map is really fun to play ! Can you add more ship control thigs and some events maybe ? Also the story need some work I think.

Level 14
Oh Good News ! This map is really fun to play ! Can you add more ship control thigs and some events maybe ? Also the story need some work I think.

I'm definitely adding more ships, and I'm redoing the "overturn" ability so you don't just turn fast but instead do maneuvers like one rapid turn. It should make the dogfighting more intense.

I worked on some more events, but I scrapped most of them. I just didn't think they were that fun. Right now I'm struggling with whether to keep in a sandstorm event that grounds all the ships and forces you to fight as heroes and ground vehicles. It is disruptive.

I'm afraid there's not much more to add to the story, is there? Empire is bad. Rebels are good. Empire wants to kill rebels. Rebels want to be able to abandon their base. What did you have in mind?

Level 9
I'm definitely adding more ships, and I'm redoing the "overturn" ability so you don't just turn fast but instead do maneuvers like one rapid turn. It should make the dogfighting more intense.

I worked on some more events, but I scrapped most of them. I just didn't think they were that fun. Right now I'm struggling with whether to keep in a sandstorm event that grounds all the ships and forces you to fight as heroes and ground vehicles. It is disruptive.

I'm afraid there's not much more to add to the story, is there? Empire is bad. Rebels are good. Empire wants to kill rebels. Rebels want to be able to abandon their base. What did you have in mind?

Thank you for the answer =) this map is realyfun after you learn how to control the ships, suggest you to focus on the ship gameplay...

Level 1
You could perhaps add the Star Destroyer? Or some large ship, the ATAT and Capital Ship are good but are not as interesting as they are very slow and can't control, could give improved them.

Level 14
storage.entgaming.net/replay/view_replay.php?file=7248203.w3g

Respawned forced chocked heroes getting stucked.
Please see replay from 27:11 to 30:03

Fan, thank you so much for this replay! I'm sorry about the bug; it did look frustrating. I'm just excited to see the game played, though. I live in Australia and the lag is terrible, so I tend not to play. I learned a lot by watching you guys though. If you have other replays it could really help me with balancing and so forth, so please send them and apologize to your friends for the bug!

I quickly discovered the problem, which was just as you said. If someone dies during the stab it appears to not reset their movement speed! I shutter to think how many people experienced this bug and didn't mention it.

Anyway, I fixed it and will upload the new version (new version is 1.3). I had some trouble with the compression program, but I got it below 8MB and tested it once myself. Let me know if you find any other bugs though.

Sincerely,

Darwin

p.s. I've been working on a new version for about 6 months or so. Hopefully in the next month or two I'll be able to release it. New ships, new upgrades, etc. I'm so happy people are still playing it.

EDIT: On double-checking the code I'm actually not sure why you were stuck. When a unit dies, it orders the Sith to stop casting, which should revert your movement speed. Regardless, I put in a few safeguards like reverting movement speed (and your height for that matter) whenever you die or are dropped off by a shuttle. This should fix the issue if it was caused by Force Stab, but please let me know if you encounter something like this again.

Last edited:
Level 3
Yeah this maps rocks lml, but I notice...

imp easily wins over rebels :

imp hero vs rebel hero easily overpowers at 1v1, mostly what happens in missions.
bounty hunter too OP: backstab windwalk + disabling flamethrower while manashielded... :(

bombers (it has 60 bombs vs 12 for counterpart at start) has anti-hero manually denotated bombs upgrades (counterpart has none -_-)
imps has faster/easier way to get to base at start (almost no effort on bounty hunters)
imps can land to enemy base can steal technounion researched and kill afk enemy heroes at rebel base :(
bombers harakiri at cliff near rebel main building
rebel main building is easily selectable whereas, imp destroyer hardly selectable when trying to be missile targets. switching to laser targeting, you'll find lots of the turrets in the way so hard to target too.

I'm glad you fixed the stuck bug and am excited about the updates.

Level 14
Excellent, thanks so much for the feedback. I wouldn't have thought of half of those things. Perhaps when I'm a bit closer you would be willing to gather some friends and play test the new version before I upload it.

A few questions if you don't mind:

I've been toying with the idea of making ship-fired lasers no longer hit ground vehicles or ground units. My goal is to make bombers more specialized at killing ground units. It also lets players use ground vehicles, which now are pretty useless as any ship can kill them quickly. My concern is that players might really like the feeling of spraying lasers at groups of ground units and mowing them down.

Are there other hero imbalances or useless abilities? I've changed the Bounty Hunter already so he loses stealth but gains an AOE grenade. This makes him a worse hero killer, but better at fighting enemy troops. I've also replaced the "stun setting" on the Rebel Sniper because it had very limited utility (I gave him a passive camera + range upgrade). I've sadly had almost no Hero vs. Hero experience. I have buffed the heroes a bit though, and make it so you can skip the introduction if players vote for that.

I'm also worried that missiles are not very useful in ship to ship combat. I plan on making them harder to dodge, but harder to launch (e.g. you cannot launch a missile unless you have at least 5 tracking on the target). If you have thoughts on missile use, let me know.

Anyway, thanks again, and send me some replays if you play again!

Level 1
Wow! It was really nice seeing this map getting an update. Definitely didn't expect it.
I'll be looking forward for the next version :).
And thanks for making this amazing map!

Level 3
Played yesterday 12pm GMT, and like I would've shared the replay that but my connection was hell at that time. Tried again this 5:30pm GMT and this Replay

A choice to watch cinematics by vote at start similar to some RPG like Gaias Retaliation (w/ custompatch) would be better. I see bounty hunter and clone troopers pass through some paths while the rest can't. I've seen the said hero pass straight towards the first red circle of power like those trees that normally block other units has a personal liking to him xD. Clone troopers could climb up the stony area (as seen in the end cinematics) whereas I tried using a non-bounty hunter hero, and failed and was forced to call the shuttle that came farther away from the base. It also would be nice to have a separate spawn point from the beginning flare-shuttle dropoff different from the shuttle dropoff after first flight away from the base as well as the respawn point - comparing it with imps respawn point, rebels have to walk farther to reach the research unit / ship selection.

This 2v2 replay, I got DCed early. Replay
But as I watched the replay chat log. There seem to be that trend to just hit the base, while enemies are in the middle of a mission. I wish there's some main building recovery or something that would at least make the missions worth takin.

3v3 I'm Imp for 2nd time: Replay
This shows how defenseless the base is. The other team is not even on a mission. My missiles are a bit out of range, it seems I'm hitting it, but damage by it can't be clearly seen (does sensors up the chance of hitting?) so the enemy's base was shot down mainly by lasers instead.

About the questions:
I don't mind answering but could you also show it in-game. Have you tried hosting via ENT.AU bot servers.
You'll stop lasers from hitting ground units? But antiair-troopers,etc. can hit air units at least when I'm flying slow enough... was even thinking update on ground vehicles to fire anti-air for more sky<-->ground combat.
About the next questions. I'm not sure about the missiles. I wish I could dodge them like you said. Made me want to see your replay or game with you to see how you play around missiles.

edit: I'll PM you about an abuse which will make any rebel player scared to ever fight against an imp user that knows the abuse.

Last edited:
Level 14
Thanks Fan, I'll have a look!

I wanted to respond quickly though to say that you can skip the opening cinematic if every human player presses "ESC" at some point during the cinematic.

I think adding a ground vs. air attack in an interesting idea. I'll look into it.

Level 2
I think you should add in specific classes like for example take a look at Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2, you can select a class which has a specific role such as a Heavy Trooper shooting at vehicles with a Rocket Launcher, a Sniper to shoot at units from a very far range, standard Trooper equipped with a Blaster Rifle and some grenades to deal AoE damage on ground units, Pilots to repair vehicles and repair them while using a vehicle, a Commander to give buffs to units like increased attack speed, defense and movement speed.

I honestly see so much potential on this map and just hoping it can get more updates and recognition on how much fun it is!

Level 14
I think you should add in specific classes like for example take a look at Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2, you can select a class which has a specific role such as a Heavy Trooper shooting at vehicles with a Rocket Launcher, a Sniper to shoot at units from a very far range, standard Trooper equipped with a Blaster Rifle and some grenades to deal AoE damage on ground units, Pilots to repair vehicles and repair them while using a vehicle, a Commander to give buffs to units like increased attack speed, defense and movement speed.

I honestly see so much potential on this map and just hoping it can get more updates and recognition on how much fun it is!

Thanks Honor. There are some aspects of this in the game now. The Gamorrean sniper, for example, can hit units from very far away. And mechanical heroes can do very well using the turrets in the middle of the map. I do love Battlefront though, and I'll admit it really doesn't have that feel. I kind of focused on ship to ship combat.

Originally I planned on letting heroes and ships fight (I imagined an "ultimate" where the jedi just pulled a ship down to the ground and crashed it). But in practice it was very difficult, and not very fun.

I have dreams of a goblin vs. dwarf style map where I integrate boat mechanics, air mechanics (e.g. zepplins, flying machines), and maybe a train or mobile shredder as well. Ideally I'd like to balance the sea vs. air. vs. ground. I'm not sure Battle for Tatooine can do that well though. One big restriction is the size of the map. With all the imported models I just don't have room for any more ground vehicles.

There will be an update shortly though. I cleared out some room and imported a few more models; made some new ships, new scenarios, etc. I'm hoping to upload it in the next week or two.

Level 3
Add Darth Vadar pls.
This map has Darth Vader Model... I hope someone can share or have similar models.

There is now a GOLD edition of this map available here:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/battle-tatooine-gold-278071/

I recommend everyone play the new version instead, as it has greatly improved AI, gameplay, bug fixes, and various other features.

Hi, darwin... could I join your BFT games? Or let's play via my GHostBot via BNET/PvPGN/Garena they're all supported. Maybe I should PM the GameHost server ip to ping check.

Level 5
This map has Darth Vader Model... I hope someone can share or have similar models.

Hi, darwin... could I join your BFT games? Or let's play via my GHostBot via BNET/PvPGN/Garena they're all supported. Maybe I should PM the GameHost server ip to ping check.

This request seems oddly prescient this week.

But this map does not have Darth Vadar as a playable character.