• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Are moderators abusing their powers?

Are moderators abusing their powers?

• Yes, I have seem them abuse their powers quite often.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • Occasionally, I have seen some power abuse.

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • Infrequently, there are a couple bad eggs though.

Votes: 35 41.2%
  • No, I have yet to see the moderators provide any example of power abuse.

Votes: 25 29.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
I know this has long since been an issue at THW, and most internet forums in general. But lately it seems to really be a source of debate. Are there just too many crying wolf, or is there a real issue here? I want to hear the community's opinion on this matter.

Abuse: Improper treatment or usage; application to a wrong or bad purpose; misuse; perversion.

A couple recent exemplary threads:
One
Two

Also, to clear something up:
I didn't provide the threads as examples of power abuse specifically, I linked them because there were members on them implying power abuse.

Last edited:
Some, maybe.

Though the people complaining about the introduction thread I made, it's not because I'm a moderator people went along with it. It's because I'm partially known around the forums and chat. It wouldn't make sense if someone nobody knew made a thread like that for fun and people would just be like "gtfo".

Furthermore, most everyone who participated in that thread got punished so...

Level 13
What excactly happened at One and Two?
Anyways, probaly a little, because you can't complain about them, you'll be minussed and banned for a week.

Good thread ....

Level 22
TriggerHappy didn't abuse his powers, he just made a thread which went bad.
The second one is just like the title says, funny, but I agree it was stupid. Every admin/moderator who have abused their powers have been severely punished, and trust me, moderators who behave bad are punished more than users who behave bad.

To answer your question, there's just too many crying wolf.

Level 13
I have not seen it on Hive, but many other forums, this happens often, and telling them dosen't work on thoose sites.

Level 17
I didn't provide the threads as examples of power abuse specifically, I linked them because there were members on them implying power abuse.

Ain't it funny how 2 moderators has picked the "No, I have yet to see the moderators provide any example of power abuse." ?

One of those was mine.

Level 17
Well, I wouldn't call those two threads examples of power abuse, but not exactly a good example of moderators imo. Also, I've never seen a mod actually abuse their powers.

Like, 2 minutes ago.

The decision is left to the reader as to whether or not these are examples of power abuse.

Level 23
Maybe sometimes it happens that a mod acts a little to serious or a little to less serious, but all moderators are human beings, too (I hope I'm right in this point ;))

Overall I wouldn't wanna talk of power abuse. Overall the mods do a very good job, if you compare hive to other forums with so many users, this forum is a very good community with only some minor problems, which is mainly caused by good rules andd fair mods

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I wouldn't go screaming power abuse, but there are examples of too strict moderation and even to such an extent it might be considered power abuse - though it hardly was intended as such.

Level 20
It isn't as much malicious power abuse as it is just generally fucking around for no good reason. If that deserves to be punished? I dunno, but I definitely don't think it deserves a severe punishment.

Seriously, you guys think every little thing is power abuse. Loosen up a bit: most of it is just messing around, and is definitely not intended to harm anyone. That said, I still find most of it very annoying.

Level 35
I personally don't care.

This is the internet. We have to accept that some people are above us and they can do more things than the general user cannot. If one does not like it, he can always fund his own website.

The more serious issue is this I think; moderators and admins are going down too hard on issues that serve nothing more but entertainment purposes. Everyone (including the staff) is entitled to some fun. This is a GAMING community after all.

Level 31
I made a post in another forum that applies here.

This thread made me laugh. I guess the award served it's purpose after all.

It's funny how a mod makes something funny, and a bunch of people who want to be mods act very serious and revolt.

How silly indeed.

I even saw one comment that said "the Hive is rotting away". Well, of course it is. It is because people are not serious unless it makes them look good so they revolt against someone who is not being serious only to not be serious again!

Let's be honest. Nothing on this site will ever be serious. Why? Because it's a forum about modding a video game. You may say, "yes but the awards should be a serious matter!". Says who? C'mon. Nothing on this site is serious. And, I'm ok with that. Ralle isn't selling anything (except new user names and custom icons...) so why should we go all ape crap when the delicate internal balance of the Hive cosmos is tampered with to look a bit silly?

Everyone keeps on about "how a mod should conduct themselves"...as if they are paid individuals who are actually doing something important here. No.

You see, if I were a mod in his position, I wouldn't have done that, only because I wouldn't have thought of it. I would have done something just as silly though.

You remember all those times ralle would come into chat and screw up the text or colors? Those were good times. Now, it's a bunch of people desperate to be in a moderators position so they attempt to look serious and logical-ish!

Casing point, no matter how stupid and silly a thing that an administrator/mod does, it doesn't really matter! Because if you take things like the awards, the rep, the power seriously, then you shouldn't be on this site in the first place. You should be out there in the world trying to receive somewhat of a life...

People on this site need to understand how little stuff like this matters. I'd rather have fun than have serious awards. Further more, I'd rather be on a site that is loose and silly, than a site that takes itself too seriously for something that doesn't matter at all.

From what I can see, Py hasn't damaged the site. He has just made the awards less serious. Which is a good thing in my opinion. Sure we shouldn't just overwhelm the section with random awards, but the amount of silly ones at the moment is fine.

Though, the one that Triggio made was infact spam. Which is, infact, against the rules. So we did get punished for spamming the heck out of it. I have nothing against that.

What I have problems with is the users complaining. As my post above says.

to just point out, both of your examples are complete nonsense. The first one, ANY user could do. So its not the mods abusing their powers, its just trig spamming.

The second was only to maintain a small energetic life at the hive. It was something to get the users/noobs something about the hive to get excited about. It wasn't any harm done. it was fun and entertaining. and i totally agree with Mr.Bob

Level 17
Are you people blind?

There. Were. Not. Examples. Of. Power. Abuse. They were examples of people crying out power abuse. If I had posted them as example of power abuse, I would have said so. In fact, I quoted myself saying just the opposite right underneath them! Stop taking this as me trying to prove power abuse, I'm doing my best to stay unbiased.

Are you people blind?

There. Were. Not. Examples. Of. Power. Abuse. They were examples of people crying out power abuse. If I had posted them as example of power abuse, I would have said so. In fact, I quoted myself saying just the opposite right underneath them! Stop taking this as me trying to prove power abuse, I'm doing my best to stay unbiased.

by posting this thread you are completely biased. so your doing a pretty bad job at being unbiased...

Level 17
I did not say I was unbiased, I said I was doing my best. And how am I being biased? Did I not give a choice to everyone? Are there not four options for most views on the poll? I am asking the community a question, not stating a fact. By posting this thread I am asking everyone's opinion, not stating mine. Don't attack me over this because you couldn't be bothered to read what my examples were for.

honestly, how many of these threads are there?
"mods suck", "fuck the mods", "mods are power abusers", "mods are arrogant", "mods are dictators", "lets overthrow ralle", "i am voting myself as the new leader of the hive" etc etc etc

only little tiny thing happens and its Hive war 3 with user vs mods and then ralle is pretty much left like the UN, having to deal with both sides.

that funny award thing was just an excuse for users to let off steam, using pyritie as a scapegoat/conversation starter. the attitude around here is that when people are trolling in the OT and a mod stops it, its called "ruining the fun". when a mod makes a tiny little joke, its an "absolute power abuse" and that mod should get his head chopped off.

other than that, i dont really see any more corruption as i did when i first joined hive.

@leet: i know what you are trying to do, and its a good thing once in a while to check hive's status but you know as well as i do that you will never get a straight answer from any of the users and mods, myself included.

Level 35
Now that I think of it, the Hive's way is pretty retarded.

When I was a (chat) mod and kept banning off the misbehaving elitists, I got screamed at for abusing powers myself.

I think most people who scream "ABUSE" are just either trying to troll or get off well with some shit they did. I've seen a better staff at better places, sure. But abuse is like the smallest issue 'round here. For one, the mods have no dignity. Now that's a bigger problem.

Level 16
No, I haven't seen any concrete examples power abuse yet, although there are times when I'm irked because a mod refuse to punish a wrongdoer who happens to be a friend. I'm also aware that mods are humans and are not paid for moderating, so I'm more inclined to turn a blind eye.

Level 16
I knew Lee didn't make the thread seriously. Anyways, abuse is always thrown around for people to get off for rule breaking. Hell, I've kicked someone for breaking the rules, only for them to tell me it was abuse. You don't even have to rejoin, and it's just a warning. People make mountain out of molehills essentially, (you just got to love a cliche).

~Snap

I know this has long since been an issue at THW, and most internet forums in general. But lately it seems to really be a source of debate. Are there just too many crying wolf, or is there a real issue here? I want to hear the community's opinion on this matter.

Abuse: Improper treatment or usage; application to a wrong or bad purpose; misuse; perversion.

A couple recent exemplary threads:
One
Two

Also, to clear something up:

You sly troll. D:

Miz

Miz

Level 3
Well I am only inputting my opinion on the issue because I feel that a comment from just the outside is kind of necessary. (Just as a Super Moderator on TH.net) While The Helper and The Hive are in the similar genre of sites they are no way truly comparable, as both are entirely different communities.

However, I find the things that happen on this site, not just the Staff Members, but the attitudes in general just of everyone are ridiculous.

Are the Moderators corrupted power abuses? I can't really judge on that, speaking most of us don't get to see all the discussions that go on behind the scenes and mind you in every community there is simply so many. Even on minor decisions, which people think is one's moderators doing, such as the temp banning of a user, huge discussions are at play. On The Helper, many people like to send hateful messages to the Staff member they think did it but in reality, it was most likely days possibly even weeks or months of discussions with plenty of warnings that the User simply did not listen to.
I find it unfair that the Moderators, who are volunteers of the community that are spending their time trying to help you guys are so viciously attacked.

Yet, they aren't completely innocent. I have seen so many acts that the Moderators have done on this site, that if I did back on mine; I would be long gone for. I could consider that "Power Abuse" because Moderators also need to remember its a privilege to be on the Staff and they shouldn't just throw away Ralle's trust in them. In recent months the things people have complained about, some are just criers while others are legitimate. Moderators are suppose to represent the site, why are some of them acting so irresponsible? If these kinds of acts took place on TH Forums, not only would an Admin, Ghan or The Helper be on your ass, but other moderators and staff members would all try to have a strict talk with you and even have you demote or worse, punished.

I think what is needed isn't a change in staff members, they do a great job on managing a site with this many users, visitors and posts daily, instead they should be more disciplined. Ralle and the other Administrators need to take charge, which I see Ralle doing more and more, to control this site. So when he or another staff member says back off, or be quiet. Everyone will listen like dogs and obey the command. Even if they disagree for it is Ralle's site and you will listen to what he has to say before simply back-talking to him, even if you think its horribly wrong.

Now then, the Moderators have had my comments, but that isn't the only problem. Most of you members are not too much better on my report card. You have no respect for the Staff, you are completely rude to the Administrators and Ralle and worst of all many of you are extremely egoistical and think just because your a senior member you can also get away with things differently then other members. New Members are completely harassed, and insulted tarnishing growth and respective attitudes. These actions shouldn't be taken lightly ether. Just like Moderators, members also need to be held accountable even if they are one of the founders of this site. You are a community, you should start acting like it.

Lastly, like I said before, I do not consider TheHelper to be a perfect site, we have our problems, but none of them are as obvious compared to THW's, but this is because TH has been around far longer then THW and that THW is also a much bigger and faster growing site, with many more resources, and users. Yet numbers mean nothing, Quantity of members doesn't count for much when they are low in Quality. The extreme growth of the Hive is one of the major reasons some of these problems are occurring but if some changes are made. I think the Hive will stabilize and you will see many of these problems disappear. This site is at a cross-road, and its time for you guys to make the decision or not.
Don't let this issue divide the site, everyone needs to listen to one another!

That's my 2 Cents,
Miz

Level 31
Lastly, like I said before, I do not consider TheHelper to be a perfect site, we have our problems, but none of them are as obvious compared to THW's,

Yeah!! Right!! Just like graveyard a 100% working resources under a silly reasons even though it follow all submission rules and keep mum about it.

Yet numbers mean nothing, Quantity of members doesn't count for much when they are low in Quality

Then what makes you think TH member are any better than THW member? I been mistreated more at TH rather than THW and that is why I been here ever since I discover this site and leaving TH for good.

If you view my last post at TH, it was about 8-9 months ago. If you say I am wrong, explain to me the declining rate of visitor at TH.

You have no respect for the Staff, you are completely rude to the Administrators and Ralle and worst of all many of you are extremely egoistical and think just because your a senior member you can also get away with things differently then other members.

Who say those senior member are rude towards the staff? There is a senior member who often troll me at chat for no reasons (I don't want to mention his name for the sake of good) back when I was mod. But, he could act and talk like a mature adult when it comes into serious discusion without trolling and he even show respect to me when it comes to right time.

Like we say, do the right thing at the right time.

Yet, they aren't completely innocent. I have seen so many acts that the Moderators have done on this site, that if I did back on mine; I would be long gone for. I could consider that "Power Abuse" because Moderators also need to remember its a privilege to be on the Staff and they shouldn't just throw away Ralle's trust in them. In recent months the things people have complained about, some are just criers while others are legitimate. Moderators are suppose to represent the site, why are some of them acting so irresponsible? If these kinds of acts took place on TH Forums, not only would an Admin, Ghan or The Helper be on your ass, but other moderators and staff members would all try to have a strict talk with you and even have you demote or worse, punished.

Hello!!! what makes you think THW nvr did like what TH did to the mod that are deem to be power abuse?

I don't meant to be rude to you!! but most of your post sounds like you're comparing TH with THW and trying to discredit THW staff and member.

Level 14
The Hive Workshop is a friendly place, and i think the mods are doing a great job but there are days when they do turn bad but also it could be caused by: Not having enough sleep, or they are generally pissed off and feel like &#$%ing up.
And also don't forget they have a huge responsibillity and can base their ratings on some other item, eg. The Mod has just disapproved a bad model, then the mod looks at something just better and could approve it! Its like food, you eat something disgusting and abit after you eat some delicous because its slightly better.
Anyway I love the THW( The Hive Workshop ) because its awesome.

Level 30
This is indeed true. I find that we must act at once and demote and perhaps even ban the corrupted mods that have been destroying the hive for their own pleasure alone.
I'll list the mods that must be demoted as we speak.

First, most importantly and only: Pyritie. He has been the lamest mod I've ever seen in my life, here at the hive with his lame double posts for which he has no valid reason than "it was for teh lulz" and what about those stupid awards? Do you even remember how much drama that caused?
So my conclusion is that we should get rid of Pyritie, the pest that is killing thw as we know it.

Last edited:
are you kidding me? not everyone can be a "mature" 50 year old virgin who doesn't want to have a bit of fun with his life. and the fact that you expect that from the mods is complete BS. Pyritie has been part of the hive for a long while and he keeps the fun in all of it. the awards were somthing to get everyone excited about and make it so that everyone has somthing fun to look forward to when they come to the hive. It did not cause drama it just caused people like you to whine and complain about how you feel like you are responsible for who should be in charge and of who goes and who stays. It makes you look like a total retard in the end and does nothing to change anything.

Level 22
I say we bannadar Devine >:D
Him and everyone who agrees either fully or partially ^^
IP ban + trojan horses. FOREVAR AND EVAR!

[/sarcasm]

Seriously, this thread needs to be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.