• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A Very Creative Form of Moderator Trolling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Throughout my time on Hiveworkshop, I've noticed that oftentimes I see posts that are edited by moderators, and have all sorts of errors inserted into them. At first I thought this was pretty funny, but it gets annoying after a while.

I've noticed that often whenever I disagree with a moderator about something, or a moderator is trying to make me look bad, they will start editing my posts, and inserting all sorts of errors into them. I didn't notice it for a while, but when I go back and look at discussions, I notice that my posts have been edited by other people, and that they are full of all sorts of grammatical and spelling errors, with numbers stuck into words, basically a moderator has changed my posts to make me sound like a noob who spams text speech or something, in order to make it easier to make his point against me by making me look unintelligent.

I'm not saying this happens a lot, and for the most part when I've disagreed with a moderator they've spoken with me as another person, and have not used their power as moderator as an advantage. But it does happen every once in a while.

I'm not here to report specific moderator abuse, or anything like that. I'm just saying, it's really irresponsible of moderators to abuse their power against normal users by editing their posts to make them easier to argue with. It was funny at first, but it really isn't now. It hasn't happened to me anytime lately, but I noticed it when I was looking through previous threads.

So come on, guys, knock it off.

Last edited:
Moderators aren't supposed to edit other people's posts so that they can make their point easily, we usually only edit them should there be bad language that needs to be filtered, etc.
If you could submit some posts you think have been edited in a bad way, just post them here (link to the post), it would definitely make your case stronger ;P

Moderators aren't supposed to edit other people's posts so that they can make their point easily, we usually only edit them should there be bad language that needs to be filtered, etc.
If you could submit some posts you think have been edited in a bad way, just post them here (link to the post), it would definitely make your case stronger ;P

As I said before, I'm not trying to make a cast against moderators, and I don't want to report anyone, or have anyone punished, for something so little.

I'm just letting people know, it has not gone undetected, and I'm hoping to not see things like that in the future. If I see things like that, from now on, I'll be recording it, but anything from the past is a clean slate. Just, the person that's done it, don't do it.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
An act like this has never been reported anywhere on this site, nor have I seen this happen myself. So there's really nothing I can do about this other than stating that such an act is quite disrespectful and would be an act of power abuse.

I would be very grateful if you reported any event of such actions in Admin Contact.

Level 4
Clever, but to preserve your words just in case:
Throughout my time on Hiveworkshop, I've noticed that oftentimes I see posts that are edited by moderators, and have all sorts of errors inserted into them. At first I thought this was pretty funny, but it gets annoying after a while.

I've noticed that often whenever I disagree with a moderator about something, or a moderator is trying to make me look bad, they will start editing my posts, and inserting all sorts of errors into them. I didn't notice it for a while, but when I go back and look at discussions, I notice that my posts have been edited by other people, and that they are full of all sorts of grammatical and spelling errors, with numbers stuck into words, basically a moderator has changed my posts to make me sound like a noob who spams text speech or something, in order to make it easier to make his point against me by making me look unintelligent.

I'm not saying this happens a lot, and for the most part when I've disagreed with a moderator they've spoken with me as another person, and have not used their power as moderator as an advantage. But it does happen every once in a while.

I'm not here to report specific moderator abuse, or anything like that. I'm just saying, it's really irresponsible of moderators to abuse their power against normal users by editing their posts to make them easier to argue with. It was funny at first, but it really isn't now. It hasn't happened to me anytime lately, but I noticed it when I was looking through previous threads.

So come on, guys, knock it off.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The closest I know of that happening was back when I edited some really bad posts. These were eithor flaming or discussing illegal content so instead of deleting the post I edited out that content or changed the content to be less offensive. I also used to go around editing the odd typo people made or inserting TRIGGER and JASS tags when people forgot them or made mistakes.

This was about 5 or 6 years ago mind you.

Level 34
,,A Very Creative Form of Moderator Trolling"
Come on, moderators trolling? Why this sounds familiar to me....

But it is creative, I never heard that moderators edit people's posts in order to make them look stupid. However, this does not surprise me either. I did not expect much more cleverness from staff, at least older one which is gone now. This new staff, Ralle's chosen ones look promising, and I do not expect such behavior from them.

TLI-Inferno, about which staff are you talking now, current or older one? When did you notice that behavior, recently or before? I assume cause you are talking about it now, that you mean on recent.

The closest I know of that happening was back when I edited some really bad posts. These were eithor flaming or discussing illegal content so instead of deleting the post I edited out that content or changed the content to be less offensive. I also used to go around editing the odd typo people made or inserting TRIGGER and JASS tags when people forgot them or made mistakes.

This was about 5 or 6 years ago mind you.

You're super good, don't make me feel guilty about accidentally making you feel guilty! You didn't do anything wrong.

,,A Very Creative Form of Moderator Trolling"
Come on, moderators trolling? Why this sounds familiar to me....

But it is creative, I never heard that moderators edit people's posts in order to make them look stupid. However, this does not surprise me either. I did not expect much more cleverness from staff, at least older one which is gone now. This new staff, Ralle's chosen ones look promising, and I do not expect such behavior from them.

TLI-Inferno, about which staff are you talking now, current or older one? When did you notice that behavior, recently or before? I assume cause you are talking about it now, that you mean on recent.

This was very long ago. I'm pretty impressed with our recent moderators, and most of the ones we had before weren't bad either.

This is hilarious, never heard of anything like it. Yes, which mod was this?

I'm not here to start a red scare or point fingers over suspicions, I'm just pointing out that it's been done before. When actions are brought out into the open, hopefully that will discourage people from doing similar things in the future, as people's awareness will hopefully prepare them against such abuses.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Recently, there has been a liking to accusing me of everything evil that happens around here, so maybe this is one of them? Your name is vaguely familiar, I think I did neg-rep you a few times for flaming. Or are you saying that someone set you up so that I would neg-rep you?

Recently, there has been a liking to accusing me of everything evil that happens around here, so maybe this is one of them? Your name is vaguely familiar, I think I did neg-rep you a few times for flaming. Or are you saying that someone set you up so that I would neg-rep you?

Firstly, despite being an Inferno, I didn't flame. Secondly, you're not the person I'm talking about. Thirdly, there's only been one post which you've neg-repped me for, it's just that you neg-repped me 8 times for the same post, without me even replying any further, and without even telling me why you neg-repped me, or linking to me what post I was neg-repped on. I actually had to talk to other moderators for a couple of weeks to find out what post I was given so much neg-rep for, because you wouldn't respond to my private message asking you what I'd done wrong. I'm not complaining about it, I'm just saying that if you're going to neg-rep somebody, you need to tell them why, otherwise you're not helping them avoid doing whatever they'd done. It's pretty obvious that you were really just using your powers for revenge, rather than for justice.

But I do remember you neg-repping me in the past over something that I really didn't think was worth neg-repping over -- Something I wouldn't have been negrepped for if I'd said it to a normal user. I wasn't going to bring that up, but you have, and people would undoubtedly investigate until they figured out what it was about, so I might as well say -- I said "I thought your ass was prettier" as a joke (it was not intended to be an insult, it really was just supposed to be something for you to laugh at) on a model thread, which most people would laugh at, not be offended by. My joke to you was quickly followed by 8 neg-reps to me from you. I guess I'd assumed you were a man; a man would not be offended by somebody joking about his ass, he would laugh about it, while a woman would be very offended.

You're only further showing why you're not even a moderator, now, by posting off-topic arguments in a thread that has nothing to do with them, just because you see my name.

This thread has nothing to do with any of that. You saw my name, and then you brought up the neg-rep incident from the past. Your comment had nothing to do with the thread; you were commenting based on my name. Posting a reply based on a person's past, and not addressing anything in that person's post, or anything in the entire thread, is holding a grudge.

All I've done is replied to what you've brought up.

Regardless, I'm not accusing you of editing my posts; that was not you, and the post you neg-repped me for was unedited.

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I did not use my power for revenges. Sometimes, user A was trolled by user B and user B would flame. Despite having a reason to do so, I have to neg-rep user B, perhaps even harder than user A. Of course, when that happened, the homologue to user B would reply to me with flamemail. Our rules tend to change at least once every year, but «do not flame» is a rule that's been there forever. If you flamed, I'd definitely give you neg-rep, no matter how much reasons user A could have given you — although I'd usually penalize user A as well for inciting trouble.

By 8 neg-reps you probably mean one neg-rep of minus 8 points. That's a system I came up with based on percentages. -10 rep for a user with 5 rep is huge, but -10 rep for a user with 1000 rep is meaningless. Therefore, it would be -10% (or 5% or 1% depending on the severity of the action).

Also, I doubt anyone would make any inquires unless they caught you on the Chat by accident.

I did not use my power for revenges. Sometimes, user A was trolled by user B and user B would flame. Despite having a reason to do so, I have to neg-rep user B, perhaps even harder than user A. Of course, when that happened, the homologue to user B would reply to me with flamemail. Our rules tend to change at least once every year, but «do not flame» is a rule that's been there forever. If you flamed, I'd definitely give you neg-rep, no matter how much reasons user A could have given you — although I'd usually penalize user A as well for inciting trouble.

By 8 neg-reps you probably mean one neg-rep of minus 8 points. That's a system I came up with based on percentages. -10 rep for a user with 5 rep is huge, but -10 rep for a user with 1000 rep is meaningless. Therefore, it would be -10% (or 5% or 1% depending on the severity of the action).

Also, I doubt anyone would make any inquires unless they caught you on the Chat by accident.

Your percents must be off a bit, because at the time of the 8 neg-rep, I had somewhere between 50 and 100 rep, which would make that 8-16%, not 1-5%.

And I really don't see what your whole speech about flaming and trolling has to do with anything, because there was no argument in the thread in which I'd been neg-repped. You found a post by me where I said a little joke about your bottom, out of humor, not as an insult, and neg-repped me for it. Don't invent some story about a troll/flame war and make up fake statistics about a system of determining how much reputation to remove, when none of that applied to the situation.

The bottom of the line is, you found a post by me where I'd made a joke (not an insult, quite literally just a joke) about your butt, and you abused your position to neg-rep me by a very large portion of my rep as retaliation rather than punishment for a "crime".

And again, I repeat, none of that has anything to do with this thread, my original post was about posts being edited to lower quality, which has nothing to do with you. If you want to argue with me about neg-rep, make a new thread for it, or PM me about it, but don't derail my own thread which originally had nothing to do with that.

Again, you're only further showing why you're not even a moderator, now, by posting off-topic arguments in a thread that has nothing to do with them, just because you see my name.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Your percents must be off a bit, because at the time of the 8 neg-rep, I had somewhere between 50 and 100 rep, which would make that 8-16%, not 1-5%.
Percentage values are based on severity, not your reputation.

You found a post by me where I said a little joke about your bottom, out of humor, not as an insult, and neg-repped me for it.
I don't remember neg-repping you over any situation between us two.

Again, you're only further showing why you're not even a moderator, now, by posting off-topic arguments in a thread that has nothing to do with them, just because you see my name.
Sure, I'll stop. Just two last notes: 1) P.S. — The subject came up because you confirmed you had been neg-repped by me and so I tried to explain you why. However, 2) it appears that, in your head, anything that's done to you is out of pure hatred and revenge — deducing from the grudge you still hold against me potrayed clearly in the above speech, after I specifically said that your name is »»vaguely«« familiar — which... further shows how this could be no more than an overreaction triggering delusions. Because apparently no one's heard of such an occurrence. Past or present staff.

However, if you have previously passed the message that your attitude in reaction to what moderators do to you is this, I know a couple of former moderators who would deliberately attempt to troll you. By editing your posts... or not.

P.S. — Furthermore, I do not like it when you (or anyone else, for the matter) go around sparking doubt and conspiracy on the staff. The entire site could come here to say moderators don't do this, but since no one can prove this statement to be false, the former staff remains under check eternally. It is almost always so easy to damage people's reputation.
If you say the prevaricator was former staff, why are we having this discussion? It either shouldn't have been started in the first place or it should be moved to the Off-Topic forum.

Last edited:
P.S. — Furthermore, I do not like it when you (or anyone else, for the matter) go around sparking doubt and conspiracy on the staff. The entire site could come here to say moderators don't do this, but since no one can prove this statement to be false, the former staff remains under check eternally. It is almost always so easy to damage people's reputation.
If you say the prevaricator was former staff, why are we having this discussion? It either shouldn't have been started in the first place or it should be moved to the Off-Topic forum.

I didn't make a "conspiracy theory" or accuse anyone. There was no hostility, and were no accusations, until you entered this thread with hostility and accusations of your own towards me. Leave the thread, you're killing it.

I think everyone's understood your point here already: Apparently some moderators have edited a few posts which they shouldn't have. You are however not backing up that claim with any proof whatsoever, so no action can be taken by the administration. It isn't very nice to accuse people who work hard to keep the site in check, so please, next time, report the post you think was edited in the wrong way.
Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.