• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New user post moderation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Don't know if anyone else is bothered by this but since I usually watch threads on the new posts page (New posts) I feel like sometimes I miss posts by new users because they are initially hidden and it takes some time before they are moderated.
The reduced visibility of posts may also be discouraging for new users to start engaging with the community.

Some ideas/suggestions for improvement:
  • Bump the thread when a post is moderated (not sure how easy this is to implement when threads are sorted by last post datetime);
  • Add a note to a post (similar to edited posts showing 'Last edited: datetime') showing when a post was moderated;
  • Add an option for (logged in) users to show unmoderated posts (either globally or for a specific thread only);
  • Show on a thread somewhere 'there are x unmoderated posts in this thread';
  • Make unmoderated posts visible, but hide the content until it is moderated (this option probably has the most potential to be abused, so might have to be combined with some kind of rate-limiter, for example a new user can only make x posts per day, or can only have x unmoderated posts at a time).

Level 18
I understand why the system is in place, but for legit new users it's still annoying.

As example, in my thread Map Adapter there have recently been some posts by some level 1 users.
When I check for new activity I only check up to my own last post. So when something is posted before my post but moderated after, I miss it. I only noticed there were new posts that I hadn't seen before when I had to scroll up to check an earlier post in the thread.

So basically, IMO it would make more sense that the posts in a thread are sorted by the date they became visible instead of when they got posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.