• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Any Knowledgeable Coders/Scripters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I'm seriously considering learning coding or programming or scripting or whatever (notice my lack of WTF to do in order to do that) and I figured this was the best place because knowledgeable people come here (assumingly) to help others.

Now I'm talking about real video game programming. If I had one sentence to ask in order to figure out how to reach the goals I want to reach, it'd be "How do I get started in order to make a game with unity." Can anyone ****ing help me I'm stressing so bad. I went to codecademy.com and It seem's to be legit and all and I'd even be willing to buy their premium(if it's worth it?????help???) but I want to make sure that IM ABLE TO LEARN THIS IN THE MOST --FUNCTIONAL WAY POSSIBLE--, similarly the way you'd learn warcraft 3 editor (Or how i did anyways: buy opening it up, terraining around, placing units, trees, eventually realizing what regions are used for, making a very basic trigger, making more complicated triggers, changing stats and information around within individual units, learning somewhat what it's like to model (gave up lul), and eventually coming to the point where I know I have the mental capacity to construct a well rounded video game(if i had the discipline to finish one)). Is there any place that you programmers/scripters know of that would be able to teach me atleast give me a foundation, on a way to eventually reach making a video game. (>inb4 oh start small video games take a whole team of people to make.)

LONG STORY SHORT: Anyone who KNOWS how to program (literally talking to anyones who, if they had a bag of adderall, could sit down and use UNITY to develop a fully functioning game.) please help me by telling me a website or program that offer's great teaching for this kind of stuff. Ive tried Codecademy but are there any others or anything else I can do to begin learning how to build a game with unity?????

,Thanks lol.

yes, ive researched this stuff for how many man hours now. I understand that even if i had the knowledge, developing a video game even with unity would require like a minimal of 3 people and would take months and months and even years.
so... >inb4 ''maken video geam is hard r u sure u went to l3arn it? :B''

>inb4 omg dont comment only but once an hour D:< +3 blackmark
>inb4 omg don't swear it hurts my feelings D:< +2blackmark
(idk if i swore while writing this and im not gonna reread it but i have a habit of swearing and it happens when i type too lmfao)

edit again: someone help lol fr. if you do (i have a sick memory) and i become famous and rich, i will totally remember you and definitely this website, i'll rebirth warcraft 3 editor and make it a practice tool for beginner programmers and video game creators lmao. ill get it into public schools bro it'll be sponsored by hiveworkshop (which i will purchase as my own of course anyways though im going to bed peace out)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 29
There are countless tutorials on how to do things with Unity, the power of the search engine is in your hands.

You don't necessarily need to program - there are probably plugins handling common things that you want, but those will also probably cost money, and might not exactly match your needs, depending on what you want to make.
If you do want to program, then you can start by learning C#. Whether you learn it by using it in Unity, or as a standalone, is your own choice (you should probably do whatever's more fun to you!).

No one can help you with "how to make a video game". If you have more specific questions, however, fire away (assuming you first searched in your favorite search engine, because someone likely asked your question and got an answer already).

Level 9
There are countless tutorials on how to do things with Unity, the power of the search engine is in your hands.

You don't necessarily need to program - there are probably plugins handling common things that you want, but those will also probably cost money, and might not exactly match your needs, depending on what you want to make.
If you do want to program, then you can start by learning C#. Whether you learn it by using it in Unity, or as a standalone, is your own choice (you should probably do whatever's more fun to you!).

No one can help you with "how to make a video game". If you have more specific questions, however, fire away (assuming you first searched in your favorite search engine, because someone likely asked your question and got an answer already).

See ive heard/seen C# and heard it was a popular powerful..uhh engine? program? uhh script uhh whatever LOL. and i didnt know you could mess with unity and learn how to do it????? ...??????!! (i may or may not have deleted the initial help boxes that pop up(???) in unity(if that even happens.) anyways. I just want to know what kind of scripting or programming or whatever i'd need to be able to construct a video game similar to pillars of eternity. and that game was made with unity so i have confidence it's possible.

edit: ive been googling this stuff for a couple man hours over the past week or two, and bruh it is not easy when you have no idea what you're working with. I simply do not know how to ask the questions.

Level 29
If you are incapable of searching for information, then run. Run far, and never look back.

C# is the main programming language used in Unity. It takes about one second to search for all of the information regarding how to use it in Unity, or as a standalone with Visual Studio.

Seriously though, if you can't search for this simple information by yourself, go find another hobby.
If you can't search for what C# is, or for simple Unity tutorials, then why would you be able to search for how to program, how to work with 3D data, with linear algebra, rendering, modeling, texturing, and the countless other things you will need to know?

I don't like to ruin the motivation of people, but you honestly seem like a kid that knows nothing and wants to build a game, and I've seen plenty of those over the years (hint: none of them made anything).

Last edited:
Level 9
If you are incapable of searching for information, then run. Run far, and never look back.

C# is the main programming language used in Unity. It takes about one second to search for all of the information regarding how to use it in Unity, or as a standalone with Visual Studio.

Seriously though, if you can't search for this simple information by yourself, go find another hobby.
If you can't search for what C# is, or for simple Unity tutorials, then why would you be able to search for how to program, how to work with 3D data, with linear algebra, rendering, modeling, texturing, and the countless other things you will need to know?

I don't like to ruin the motivation of people, but you honestly seem like a kid that knows nothing and wants to build a game, and I've seen plenty of those over the years.

are you mentally fucking retarded lol
nfpicx.png
nfpicx.png
[/IMG]
nfpicx.png

Last edited:
Level 9
hey dumb fucks try reading shit before you comment.

UPDATE: ANYONE OT THERE WHO KNOWS PROGRAMMING AND SHIT PLEASE HELP ME???? IT seems as tho the hive has a small supply of peopple with knowledge

thanks but no thanks, im not fucking retarded. if you had read my fucking shit you'd realize i fucking get the "im 13 and i want to make a vieoegdoe game :) mommy hehe" comment. but neither of you did, and you look like fucking tools because of it

this is a good read though js

Level 17
100% know what it is.

Think its a picture/gif of sorts.

>Why try covering up
>was happy to try the tinyurl link

K, its actually a useful resource, hover over it to see actual link.

Probably the most useful resource in the world.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
A lot of people here know how to program. For example I have a degree related to software engineering.

The problem is the sort of question you are asking do not have straight forward answers. Learning to program covers how to write game engines, all the way to the basics of how a processor works. Where as learning to use Unity is more about learning of art, game design and other high level concepts. Any programming you may require to use unity is very easy to pick up and there is already a lot of existing documentation to help you as you need it.

I could go into fundamental concepts of modern game engine design, shader pipelines, and data management. However if you are using Unity those should be pretty much covered already.

I could also talk about very basic programming concepts such as variables, locals, functions all the way to high level concepts such as coupling, cohesion, design patterns etc. However you can also learn these from a multitude of online resources. Even Wikipedia covers pretty much every design pattern in detail.

If you plan to use Unity I would recommend starting by reading the manual. You can then decide if you want to progress further, or ask if you have specific questions regarding content in the manual. Do note I am unfamiliar with Unity but do know programming in general so I can clarify jargon and other confusing parts of it.

Level 9
100% know what it is.

Think its a picture/gif of sorts.

>Why try covering up
>was happy to try the tinyurl link

K, its actually a useful resource, hover over it to see actual link.

Probably the most useful resource in the world.

sorry your troll brother's on this website make me cautious i appreciate your help botht hings you posted did indeed help/were interesting read.s

A lot of people here know how to program. For example I have a degree related to software engineering.

The problem is the sort of question you are asking do not have straight forward answers. Learning to program covers how to write game engines, all the way to the basics of how a processor works. Where as learning to use Unity is more about learning of art, game design and other high level concepts. Any programming you may require to use unity is very easy to pick up and there is already a lot of existing documentation to help you as you need it.

I could go into fundamental concepts of modern game engine design, shader pipelines, and data management. However if you are using Unity those should be pretty much covered already.

I could also talk about very basic programming concepts such as variables, locals, functions all the way to high level concepts such as coupling, cohesion, design patterns etc. However you can also learn these from a multitude of online resources. Even Wikipedia covers pretty much every design pattern in detail.

If you plan to use Unity I would recommend starting by reading the manual. You can then decide if you want to progress further, or ask if you have specific questions regarding content in the manual. Do note I am unfamiliar with Unity but do know programming in general so I can clarify jargon and other confusing parts of it.

Thank you I appreciate your help. and i am checking out those links now

Level 15
Unity has several official tutorials that cover some of the very basic stuff. Those can be found here. The rolling ball tutorial may seem extremely simple, but it is extremely helpful, especially for beginners.

I know you said not to say it, but what you're asking to learn isn't easy. It can be very daunting and difficult at times. Understand that before you begin. It is 100% normal to feel out of your league, you will probably feel incompetent at times. This is common. Just push through it, and study hard. And google, lots and lots of google. Most of the questions you have, have already been answered somewhere on the internet. You just need to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.