• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Advanced Coding in GUI... NOT Recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
hello everyone, i just wanted to know, why is GUI so god damn buggy? i always heard this notion and thought it was bullshit, until i saw it for myself, for example iv had issues with hashtables and loops... let me tell you the story: iv attached an integer index to a picked unit to identify it as being hit so i wont hit it again, then after the missile is gone i clear all its index child, yet it doesnt seem to be cleared for some damn reason. As for loops, well in JASS you can do a simple loop and do damage over time, while in gui if i put any stupid waits it doesnt seem to work and it bugs. Is it just me? or is GUI not recommended with really advanced coding? i mean i did it all correct, like i was supposed to, but i had to encounter a bug with hashtables, loops i accept, but the problem with hashtables prevent me from creating a great, well-coded system for the public, which personally, pisses the hell out of me.... anyone want to throw in any comments to this? (i used to like GUI alot, but now im beginning to think it isnt for advanced systems that need stuff like hashtables, handles, even two handles attached to eachother and whatnot.)

Level 10
oh yes... you are right... for the first time of my life, i actually reccommend jass to someone rather than gui. OMG WHAT A TRANSFORMATION lool. well im not gonna learn jass, been gui since i began, il just stick to oldschool maps. But thanks for answer man, your a good-hearted fellow t.t usually jassers say its fun to code in with all these hard-coded scary functions, but u tell the truth, that it gets annoying but we do it cus it works ) thanks for your input bro

Learning JASS (or even vJASS) isn'T that hard either, if you know the english GUI functions you can learn JASS very fast.

I wouldn't stick on GUI.

Btw, my last map, Templar Arena, which is quite big, is full of GUI. It drained resources drastically, so you might want to check it because you can learn alot from it. I will release it as open source and its the time I switched from GUI to JASS.

Level 10
well you see the thing is... i know how to do almost anything in GUI, and i know gui VERY WELL without sounding conceited, its just that many things bug and it gets annoying when you get to higher-levels. although i might learn a thing or two, as we all arent perfect. BTW what do u mean drains resources?

Level 10
ur scaring me man, ur scaring me! il try to learn JASS, but i think itll be a long way for me to learn because i always see the codes with different types of functions, JNGP, basically words iv never heard about and being all stuck together in a scary format ! lol tbh, how many months would it take to be really good at jass? like to be able to use these "constant functions" learning how to do all of that professional coding? libraries scopes and whatnot >_<

JASS:
interface TheInterface
     interface function call takes nothing returns nothing
endinterface

library Answers extends TheInterface
endlibrary

library AnswerToPost initializer init requires Answers

globals
        private real X = 0.00
        private constant unit array Y[8191]
    endglobals

struct Instance
        private string fun
        protected boolean try
        public unit hey

public method test takes nothing returns nothing
        endmethod

public static method test2 takes nothing returns nothing
        endmethod

public stub method test3 takes nothing returns nothing
        endmethod
    endstruct

private function init takes nothing returns nothing
    endfunction

endlibrary

You mean like getting what this things are supposed to do?
Not much, depends on your learn speed.

Writing will take longer, as you will need to get to know how to
code in vJASS.

Level 22
I forgot the TESH thing :)
Before I used vJASS I had a little trouble at the beginning because I couldn't remember the function names, but I know them by heart now. But I don't need to any more because of TESH, lol.

Level 15
I'm not sure what your problems are, but I can use hashtables just fine in GUI.

I like vJASS a lot, especially since TESH basically writes code for you. But I don't use it as much because I tend to do a lot more Pascal coding than JASS coding and I get the two mixed up sometimes.

Has anyone else noticed that Pascal and JASS are very similar? Or is it just me?

Happy modding!

Status
Not open for further replies.