• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Getting into map making and have tons of ideas i want to create in the world editor but lacking experience in map making. I'm guessing i should start with GUI triggering in my maps first but would like to try an advanced way of triggering and map making like lua. I hear lua coding is somewhat better than jass or GUI but not sure where to look for coding guides or tutorials. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading! Also, let me know if this is the right place to ask about coding

Getting into map making and have tons of ideas i want to create in the world editor but lacking experience in map making. I'm guessing i should start with GUI triggering in my maps first but would like to try an advanced way of triggering and map making like lua. I hear lua coding is somewhat better than jass or GUI but not sure where to look for coding guides or tutorials. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading! Also, let me know if this is the right place to ask about coding
I did GUI stuff for quite a while before transitioning more and more towards jass/vjass. I chose jass-route because I had a ton of jass in my map by the time I really wanted to code, and I didn't feel like trying to port everything to lua.

I'd recommend not really rushing it, because you kind of need to understand what tools are available, and GUI shows many of the available tools, although some more powerful ones are not available.
I tried to "force it" before I really had a feel for what was possible, and kind lost the spark for it for a while (everything took so long to do and it wasn't really fun. It's important that it's fun imo).

I'd say you can ask here or regular World Editor Help Zone.

Shameless self-plug, check out my map and the abilities I've made to maybe get some inspiration (although some of them are fairly technical and/or convoluted in their implementation).

Level 39

I would recommend you start with Lua (at the very least set your map to use Lua instead of JASS for GUI) and don't touch JASS unless you really have to. There are some incredible resources to enable many more things in GUI than used to be possible, and to do them easily/intuitively. Most of these new things do not require you to actually know how to program in Lua to use, they're neat tricks enabled by Lua. The main user on this site that supports/develops such things is @Bribe, so pinging him here may help. Here are a bunch of his threads that may be relevant for you:

Lua-augmented GUI:

Lua-specific coding stuff:

Other GUI:

Last edited:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Thanks for the shout-out! I'll add the best one, which sits at the core of what makes a lot of those possible:

Without this, waits in GUI are imprecise, have a minimum wait of 0.1 seconds, are always inaccurate and can be off by as much as half a second.

In the old days, you had to use JASS or some overly-complex timer system to get precise timing. With Precise Wait, it literally transforms Wait into something that actually works.

Status
Not open for further replies.