• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Acolyte of Life

Tiny update with some fancy mansion interiors:
full

full

full

full

My oh my, that's looking real good. Especially the lighting and continuity in the terrain without any jarring transitions. Where do you get all those models from?
Thanks!

I mostly rip them from wow, and some of them are ripped Unity assets. Then I retexture it all to fit nicely together.

Just a suggestion, but I'd love to see a cinematic fly-by of some of your maps, kind of like a terrain showcase with music, etc. Maybe the camera can pan to show off the level of detail in certain areas, etc.
Have you checked the trailer in the main post? The first part of the trailer is basically only terrain shots. If you want more terrain shots I'm sure I can do that, but you'll have to wait until the next trailer is released (which is still quite far away).

Yeah, that was a good trailer. In this case since you regularly upload gameplay footage for preview purposes of your character running around the level, maybe you can mix in in-game cinematics showing off aspects of the level.
I could, the only issue with that is that the shots would be from the same angles as the top-down view you see when I move the character. THis is because all the terrain is built with the top-down view in mind, and will in many cases not look good from other angles.

Also making cinematic camera transmissions takes a lot longer than just running through the terrain 😄

Tiny update;

I've been working on the map transition system + saving and loading. Everything, including combat stats and talents are now saved and transferred to the next map. All maps have been added to the transition system, so actually walking through the whole world without loading the maps separately is now possible :)

Holy shit! Nice atmosphere! Love the depth!
Thanks a lot!
At some point we will send an application for project hosting, but at the moment there's still a long way to go before we can think about that. A fully working prototype needs to be in place first for example. Thanks for the suggestion though 😊

Love the dripping sounds and the theme bgm you put there
Maybe add some luminous things like mosses or shrooms or something natural that give the environment some life.
Looks like a diff game than wc3 👏👏👏
Thanks!

Those sounds are just YouTube videos running in the background, but there will be something similar in the final version.

I can probably add some stuff, but Warcraft III doesn't really like too many light sources in one spot, and I have packed them to the absolute max in pretty much all areas. How I wish I could just go ham with the light sources :p

Level 10
Thanks!

Those sounds are just YouTube videos running in the background, but there will be something similar in the final version.

I can probably add some stuff, but Warcraft III doesn't really like too many light sources in one spot, and I have packed them to the absolute max in pretty much all areas. How I wish I could just go ham with the light sources :p
I thought the sounds are imported in-game coz it fits already

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I'm getting some Minecraft flashbacks from that terrain.

Not because it looks like Minecraft but it has one similarity.
I don't know if this was common practice or not but short story:

When I was 13-14 years old me and my friends had LAN parties a couple of times a year, some of those times we played Minecraft survival mode coop.
During the night early game we could not see shit since we didn't have any light source.

The solution?

Enter the game settings and turn up the gamma to max, now we could see in the dark.
I have a sneaking suspicion the same would happen here if the gameplay inside that dark cave is difficult and the dark atmosphere is annoying.

Back on topic tho, that growing sound is super cool.

I have a sneaking suspicion the same would happen here if the gameplay inside that dark cave is difficult
It's a turn based combat system, so no combat will take place in the dark while walking around 😉

Although I don't feel like the darkness is too bad really, you can see the path clearly, and there are plenty of light sources spread out.

Maybe you have a 3000:1 VA panel with incorrectly configured contrast settings or brightness? Still I don't see that much difference between my IPS panel and VA panel.

Given how narrow some of these corridors are, is there a way to avoid combat? Do enemies gravitate towards the player?
Well since this is a turn based combat map the enemies won't actually be in the "open world" (for the most part anyway). There will be an encounter system, where you're likely to meet enemies randomly while walking around. When you meet an enemy you will be transported to an arena where the combat takes place, much like in some of the Final Fantasy games.

There will probably be potions or attire that prevents you from meeting enemies below a certain level, based on your party's average level.

Ah I see, so it's like older J-RPGs where combat occurs randomly. I thought it would be like newer games where you have enemies visibly wandering the map that the player could avoid.
Correct!

There will be some enemies visibly wandering around, but those will be bosses and other key enemies.

The campaign map transition system is killer. If something like that worked on bnet with multiplayer (somehow) that would solve all of my takes-too-long-to-load problems. I have a big RPG but everything is in 1 map (think it has to be for bnet multiplayer) and its a struggle now that it has grown pretty huge in terms of preplaced units/doodads.

I have been working on improving the light environment. I have now changed from simply adding a fog filter, and changing back/forth to night time when entering interiors to actually changing the entire light environment using custom made DNC models. I am using the method shown here to change back and forth between light environments when entering interiors, and when it's night time. I'm quite happy with the results. Some interiors and things may look a bit overly saturated, but that will be adjusted later on.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Can your character carry a torch with dynamic lighting?
He can, but some places have the max amount of light sources, so the light will start clipping if you carry a torch with lighting into those places. I have considered it for the roads though, out of town and such.

So, @Med. MapGuy, since you asked, here it is :D

I started working on a torch and walk/run system. You will automatically put down your torch when entering interiors, and you will change from running to walking indoors. Your preferences are saved, and you'll run or walk depending on what you did before you entered. The same goes for the torch, if you had a torch out when you entered you will pull it out again when going out.

Level 24
I have been working on improving the light environment. I have now changed from simply adding a fog filter, and changing back/forth to night time when entering interiors to actually changing the entire light environment using custom made DNC models. I am using the method shown here to change back and forth between light environments when entering interiors, and when it's night time. I'm quite happy with the results. Some interiors and things may look a bit overly saturated, but that will be adjusted later on.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full
It looks good, obviously. Maybe consider making trees transparent when the PC is behind them from our PoV?

Any ideas when you will release a beta or a test map? I am eager to try this one out already =)
If I'm gonna take a wild guess I'd say we will have a beta within 1 year, give or take. Hopefully sooner, but these things takes time. I'll definitely let you know though. We're planning a closed beta first with maybe 10-15 people, so I'll remember you when the time comes.
It looks good, obviously. Maybe consider making trees transparent when the PC is behind them from our PoV?
Thanks! Yeah I have done that with some other doodads in the other maps in this campaign. I have actually built the terrain in such a way that the overly tall trees mostly don't block vision. I have taken some liberties what visibility is concerned since this is a turn based combat campaign.

I have given the monastery a much needed revamp. I felt like it was the weakest link, and the overall worst made part of all the level design I have done so far, so obviously I had no other choice than to amaze-ify it. Includes both a night version and a day version, plus some nice night ambience towards the end.

Before amazification:
Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_6.png

After amazification:

The cave map is finished, and with that I can say that the level design of all 7 maps is officially done. Some things are still unfinished, like combat arenas, interiors in some maps and so on, but the 'overworld' in all maps is 100% complete. It has taken me over 1.5 years to complete the level design alone, and I have been working nearly every day for hours purely making terrain. Holy hell I can't believe the time sink it has been, but it's so nice finally being done with the biggest workload.

In the time forward I will be focusing more on the technical aspects like quest creation, cinematics, dialogue creation and other things.

Watch the final part of the cave below, it is my best terrain so far;