• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Acheron

On which RPG Genre this project should be focused the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Well, cinematics are one big work, if I wish to get it ready for Azothan this month, then I probably will not be able to get those done no matter what, because most likely half of the time will be taken by modelling alone, then terraining, since cinematics will not take place in areas that are already developed. Cinematics and voice acting would make that part of game nearly finished though.

EDIT #1: Current loading screen below. It will resemble the map of the game to certain extent. Map drawn by hand by Molaf, so credits to him. Gameplay is complete starting from the bottom to the gates of underworld, upper part is not developed yet.

EDIT #2: Updated the loading screen, added more graphics and short intro into the story.
6zKFG36.png

Level 31
Character update. I stopped counting how many times I changed models of those characters, especially Hades, I guess it was like 3-4 versions already and yet changing the model completely, every version is better than the last one I hope. Currently working on others.

On the side note, may take part in Azothan's stream tomorrow as he will give it a try for the DEMO version.

daJnm7a.png

Level 3
Awesome APproject
Zeus are amazing
But in my opinion Hades look like titan in wow ,

But it is possible you create the helmet like (God of War) ?
I'm think make it more badass and more ancient Greeky

Am super hype for this Thank you !

Level 3
Screenshot_2017-12-18-00-40-29_1.jpg
I don't know I'm free to give my suggestion or not but this is my suggestion : this is an ogre from warlord of draenor and this is a helmet from God of War
Screenshot_2017-12-18-00-44-07_1.jpg
making this hamlet on ogre and re color his tattoo to purple and re color his body to darker (Brown) make a real Hades .

Sorry for my English and double post ;)

Level 31
Thanks, Kamyar.

Well, I will not try to paint Hades as the bad guy in this game, more like someone who is confused and lured into the trap. So I would not like to give it those rough helmets, because it would look like a vilain boss immediately. As for the helmet I have seen replicas on other models are that almost the same as in God of War, so it could be possible to get it really similar.

Speaking of real Hades, this is probably the most accurate:

320px-Hades-et-Cerberus-III.jpg

Will try not to make it look like vilain boss, trying to add human element to the models as well. Was looking for a model that would not make it look all muscular, but I had to pick what was available.

Thanks, Kamyar.

Well, I will not try to paint Hades as the bad guy in this game, more like someone who is confused and lured into the trap. So I would not like to give it those rough helmets, because it would look like a vilain boss immediately. As for the helmet I have seen replicas on other models are that almost the same as in God of War, so it could be possible to get it really similar.

Speaking of real Hades, this is probably the most accurate:

320px-Hades-et-Cerberus-III.jpg

Will try not to make it look like vilain boss, trying to add human element to the models as well. Was looking for a model that would not make it look all muscular, but I had to pick what was available.

I agree! Characters should feel like you could relate them to their actual representations in Greek mythology. The best bosses are often times the ones you can sympathize or love to hate, not how they look but by their deeds and goals.

I also like the fact that you made his skin pale, after all, he spends so much time in underworld away from sunlight.

Level 31
Thanks, A Void. In this game I will try to not make one pure good side and other pure bad side. Both sides will have arguments. And in the end hero will be left with a choice which path to follow.

Storyline is sort of developed, but current map has no cinematics and lacks other details, characters and other stuff will be implemented in the future. Yeah, pale felt just right. :)

I am also thinking of adding Shield armor, because currently it has 3 main pieces, head (focused on spell improvement), body armor (focused on defense) and weapon (focused on melee damage). I may add this later on, perhaps something universal. Also have a lot of plans for some legendary items that belongs to the gods, such as Zeus thunderbolt for the weapon, Ares helmet or Hades bident, but those will be hard to get.

Last edited:
Level 31
Major Update.

Currently there was 3 tier sets, consisting of 3 major pieces. Now into current game I will insert additional 3 tiers and a 4th tier piece: shield. A bit of a spoiler I suppose, but here are 6 tiers of current game. Considering around 60-65 % is complete, I am planning to add 3 tiers more in the future and have one extra tier called Deity tier, this one will not be found in some loot, it will have to be forged with items that are obtained throughout entire game.

full

Level 31
Hey. Not much at the moment. Got completety overwhelmed by job and exams. Started preparing intro cinematic, but it is at a very early stage, getting some models ready. I would like to get cinematics and voice acting done for current amount of gameplay that is developed, before it is streamed by Azothan or Wtii. I would like to give full experience, because when it is not finished, it might feel lacking/poor. Will send terrain updates during cinematic development, as it will require completely new scenary.

Level 19
the role play needs a dungeon master

it is frustrating to role play and create a trap/concept just for people to magically circumvent you

a dungeon master to begin a quest off with a premise for each player and for you to fill your role with preset abilities. along the way you pick up new abilities/items created by the dungeon master who also helps the story along

unfortunately.... I doubt anyone is going to step forward.

Level 31
I am not sure what is your point, TheLordOfChaos201. Are you saying traps/riddles/hard quests are frustrating because it is based on my personal experience/thoughts that are not tested by others? Indeed it is, that was the mistake I made in Iceborn, here player will be able to skip it and feel no pressure on lower difficulty mode. Abilities and items will be picked along the game, those abilities and items will not be revealed before reaching it in the game. Or you have some sort of ingame engine called "dungeon master" that would adjust the outcome during the game?

Level 6
This is the most awaited project by me ... Could you tell me how long it will take to be released? thank you so mush :D

Level 31
Thanks :) I am not sure, 1/3 left to be completed, maybe slightly more. Sadly time is not on my side. It is possible I would release it 2/3 complete, so mainly last part would be unavailable, but firstly I have to complete that voice acting and cinematics. As for the relase of 2/3 (which should be done this year), I am not certain yet, I fear it will be a mistake in case people play it, know all about it and when full game is released, not many will be interested to replay.

Thanks :) I am not sure, 1/3 left to be completed, maybe slightly more. Sadly time is not on my side. It is possible I would release it 2/3 complete, so mainly last part would be unavailable, but firstly I have to complete that voice acting and cinematics. As for the relase of 2/3 (which should be done this year), I am not certain yet, I fear it will be a mistake in case people play it, know all about it and when full game is released, not many will be interested to replay.

Leave it on a cliffhanger and they will sure come back.

Level 9
Oh I also forget to ask: will there be a summoner-style build for the main char in this map? I was playing Iceborn and Seth's Reign and love how you still handle minions in those map (The Icewrecker was my favourite BTW).

Level 31
Thanks guys. :)

@millzy What do you mean by overwhelmed? No, it does not lag at all, unless I zoom out a lot. Did you try the latest version of Iceborn or previous? Becaused I fixed a lot of leaks that were building up and crashing the game, so it may crash, but rarely now. Unless you are using a computer very low on parameters it might happen more frequently. So far no crashes from Acheron. :)

@nhs325 No, so far it will not be possible to summon minions. However, you will get to pick companions on your way, 1 is going to be always with you, 2 more may join upon certain decision making throughout the game, but those will be completely controlled by AI. However, I do not dismiss the ability to summon more minions, I may add such ability in the future perhaps, especially if player will fallow Shadows talent tree, as it gives more spellcaster oriented skills.

Level 31
Oh, never had a problem with that. When pathing is complete, I just run the game and order hero to go beyond pathing area, if there is a gap, computer finds it immediately. :)

Yes, it tend to crash during loading screen when a longer period of time was played, so RAM builds up over time due to leaks and crash occurs during loading screen ingame. But when game is restarted, RAM resets and it no longer crash for a while. That is why saving the game frequently is important. If you are playing the latest version of Iceborn, crash chance has been reduced significantly. But if it still crash oftenly for you, not sure what else could be done at the moment. Acheron seems to be clear of this issue so far.

Played Acheron for few hours and RAM increased from 300 to 400-500 MBs, that is pretty okay. In Iceborn at start with massive leaks it was from 400 to 2500 MBs in very short period of time, so any attempt to load will instantly crash. Last time I checked Iceborn few hours jumped into like 1000 MBs or slightly more, but generally no crash occured. Azothan played the latest version for a while, I think it crashed only once after playing like a half of entire game.

Level 31
Hey.

I doubt if it will be completed to 100 %, but I am willing to release 60-70 % of complete gameplay. Sadly it may end abruptly, story without an end, leaving space for future. Before that I still need to do a lot of things and for that I lack free time, it is crazy how much time my new job require, and after job I must pay attention to personal matters leaving virtually no free time at all.

However, few weeks ago I managed to open Editor and worked a bit on cinematic terrain, but progress is not worthy of posting. I spent loads of time for this project, it hurts leaving it undone, but I will try my best to come up with playable version in the future.

Level 6
@AProject thanks for your efforts. Have a question: It run in version 1.27?
Can't upgrade my warcraft3 to resent versions :(
The download give me errors!
Maybe if someone know a different way to do it or someone share his warcraft 3 patched to 1.29 for me to download.

Actually, map is still developed under 1.27, I will have to adapt it to recent patch in the future. The released version will be designed for the latest patch however.

Don't patch the game while still developing, newer patches drastically change modding. Most mod tools wont work anymore, MPQ is replaced by CASC. Another alternative would be to have two versions installed.

You should mod on 1.26 and play on latest patch.

Level 31
Hey, GrandMaitre,

Thank You for your interest to support me, some motivation and responsibility is always welcome. I had my account shut, I thought I was being naive that someone would be willing to pay for it, even if it was few dollars. I renewed the page. If you are considering to support me, know that it is highly appreciated and it surely would not let me stay lazy.

Level 7
Hi APproject, thank you very much for your great content of your maps. I just wanted to tell you that i am now pretty sure why some doodad models in our maps appear completely white currently: There are some custom models that were made before patch 1.30 that have a specific texture format which isn't supported since 1.30 anymore. So these models appear completely white (without texture) since 1.30. There are some other affected maps besides Iceborn and Human Error that include such models (my own for example). I have read that there is a possibility to fix those models for 1.30: The affected models and texture datas must be resaved with the newest version of the Wc3-model-editors from this side and reimported into the map. Then they are supposed to work on 1.30 too.

Level 11
Any chance you can release it as it is if you gave up on it? I'm sure a lot of people would like to play it even if unfinished.

Level 31
It hurts to say, but I guess I will have to release it unfinished, because I highly doubt if I will ever have free time at all. I planned to add cinematics before release, just to give more immersion, but it will require a lot of work and time.

Also, this map was designed on old patch, I fear new patch will have it twisted and not working properly. What are the main issues transferring from old patch to new one?

Level 6
I have Warcraft3 1.27 and other version in 1.30.
Question, Has you video tutorials how you make those amazing maps?!

Level 9
It hurts to say, but I guess I will have to release it unfinished, because I highly doubt if I will ever have free time at all. I planned to add cinematics before release, just to give more immersion, but it will require a lot of work and time.

Also, this map was designed on old patch, I fear new patch will have it twisted and not working properly. What are the main issues transferring from old patch to new one?

Can't you find people to finish it? and helping you?

Level 11
Well, transferring from an older patch to the newest won't have a noticeable impact on the map, in extreme cases it will just be a few broken triggers that will be easy to fix.

Level 31
But I guess most of guys already moved to 1.3, so I will have to give it a try, even though it contains a ton of triggers, so if anything goes wrong, it may cause some problems :)

No, I do not have tutorials, it is just a plain, long and time consuming process :)

No, I would not look for people to finish it, it would not be my work in the end.

Reactions: Edy

Edy

Edy

Level 9
But I guess most of guys already moved to 1.3, so I will have to give it a try, even though it contains a ton of triggers, so if anything goes wrong, it may cause some problems :)

No, I do not have tutorials, it is just a plain, long and time consuming process :)

No, I would not look for people to finish it, it would not be my work in the end.

I personaly would LOVE it if you would to release it (even as is now).
I have 2 different wc3s with different patches (one is for icebron). I've been waiting so long for this...

Level 9

Damn... let's ask for donations then.

Level 31
Hey guys. I has been a while. During the quarantine I seem to find few spare hours a day, so I can work on this project again. Recently got pumped by few models, hehe.

Played this map of current state few times, took me on average 2 hours to complete current content, of course I knew the content and I did not explore and moved on. Found few bugs and got few ideas for improvement.

It still lacks cinematics and voice acting, this I may skip at the moment and I may release a Demo. I would say 2/3 of entire content is complete, so it would require few months of hard work to get it all ready.

Few questions for those who follow:

1. On what game patch should I continue the development? Currently using 1.27.
2. During loading screen game sometimes crashes, 1/4 or 1/5 loading ends up crashing the game. It appears that problem lies not with the RAM as it was with Iceborn, because it sometimes crash on RAM-clean map. Any ideas what could cause this random crashing? It does not make it impossible to play, it just needs to restart the game from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.