• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A Project that I've been working on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey fellas!

Guess I've been lurking for too long on Hive without doing anything productive. I'd like to show you some screenshots of a project that I've casually been working for a quite a while.

The campaign is still in a very early state so there's still a long way to the end.

cyzWfmq.jpg

PC5otzT.jpg

y0p0x1O.jpg

YfYPVzn.jpg

C4VT9Rt.jpg

bF4U5DT.jpg

mpq7Qrm.jpg

wYOzoSo.jpg
g4bUgr7.jpg
cXwAQWb.jpg
9UyZ0pl.jpg

Some of the pics are using SweetFX.

Attachments

• SANDBOX.w3n
    43.1 MB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Level 4
Could you show the unaltered/un-photoshopped terrains?
But from what I see you really need to find better fire models/ the ones you put don't fit into your HQ terrains, also that grass sticks out too much right now.
-------------------------------------
Also put those images into hidden tags or post them as attachments!

Only the first two screenshots are with SweetFX. It's a post processing modification similar to ENBs.
And yeah, I know about the fire, some models are placeholders till I find better ones.

Level 34
I reallllly don't like the SweetFX images. I think it looks super grainy and awful.

Good terrain other than that though. Does the game run smoothly with so many doodads on the map?

Level 14
This look like a pretty good start. I like the textures you are using and you have a good sense of where to place your doodads. It's all about the details if you ask me.

I'll be looking forward to updates.

Level 4
Another update!

A mine this time. It'll be one of the many instances in the zone.

Any suggestions on how to make the precipice better?

WOv0m7P.jpg

Level 14
I love the way the texture of the rocks blends with the ground texture. It gives it a very realistic look. What sort of camera are you planning to use?

As far as Day Night Cycle goes. You can make your own that is more realistic. There is a tutorial by HappyTauren here that can walk you through it. I use one like this for my campaign and I really like the effect.

Level 4
Thanks for the suggestions :vw_love:

I'm not sure about the camera yet, I'm thinking of something similar to Baldurs Gate or Diablo. Obviously I don't want the camera to be uncomfortable.

Right now it is like this...

8pCOjIm.jpg
OWxNm15.jpg

Level 4
Big thanks for the model and the fix! It looks a lot better now specially ingame, gives it more of a grassy forest look:

uYjEdEo.jpg

Ive also made another update, been working with the cliffs and precipices, but I think I've overdone em, looks a bit too messy imo.

JgVn3yi.jpg
0L9KBmB.jpg
ReSXZUJ.jpg

Level 4
The rocks are from Tobyfat50 Starcraft 2 Conversion Pack I think. Here's the full campaign, take whatever you want.

Attachments

• Project.w3n
    25.8 MB · Views: 99
Level 4
Almost 70% of the terrain is done, I think I'll finish terraining this map and all the instances within this week. In the meantime here's some new screenshots.

uSxpZu2.jpg
5JYNP2B.jpg
bLk0Y0t.jpg

Still searching for pine variations that will fit with the theme.

Level 4
Yeah, I know about those models, but the problem is that they look too intense for a simple campfire, so I don't think that they'll fit.

Also. Remember this place?

3lAFdZk.jpg

I've started working on the cave itself, and I'm not really that happy with the result. And the problem is that I can't think of anything better.

Here is how it looks right now, it still a WIP obviously.

gGVjQDo.jpg

So I need some advice before I'll go too deep with that direction.

Level 36
Fuck me, that's inspiring!

You've taken a fantasy-esque idea and moved it right into the realm
of realism, and it looks beautiful. I love the gloomy, dark and moody
atmosphere and did and did I mention how I love the welding of a
dream-world concept to the realm of reality? :)

It certainly needs more mushroom, though.

This might have just inspired me to do a small template terrain myself.
- Give us more, by all means, I want to explore this terrain.

Level 4
This took a lot more than I thought it would, and it is just the beginning. Very hard to work with the lighting btw, can't put light sources too close to each other, or otherwise they'll screw up the terrain.

mX56K4Z.jpg
JOGTWHu.jpg
cvH0y1U.jpg
T4Lwju8.jpg

That is all that I can show so far. I'm also very surprised that it looks so well with the standard ingame camera.

Level 4
Been improving the mushroom cave a bit, added some small details like vines and more noticeable ferns.

L6WE8Dz.jpg
MqPiyGG.jpg
Jp5O06y.jpg

And now a completely new WIP, it's a bandit garrison. It may change into something else later on however.

LNlL6da.jpg

I need some feedback about the fog in the mushroom cave, was the original orange one better than the green, or do you think some other color will be more fitting?

Level 4
Units are another problem, but I don't think that the original wc3 units are that bad. They have their own charms.

I didn't had much time today, all I did was made some updates to the garrison, here's how it currently looks...

broMQbV.jpg

Level 22
Your terrain is awesome, but i just can't stand those tents! I've always found these models were ugly because their texture has no shading at all...

Since it's playable terrain, you should also take care of gameplay and make sure it's easy for the player to move his units in this terrain, mostly by making it clear where the terrain is pathable or not. (not saying it's bad now, just take that into account)

Level 17
The mushroom cave is awesome, I prefer the green over the yellow fog for the cave, it goes well with the red glows.
The water is nice, overall nice.

I do however feel it is a little bit cluttered, it does confuse me quite a bit about what is pathable and what is not.

Level 4
The terrain of the first act is complete. I've attached the campaign to the main post, check it out.

Here's the top view of the map plus a new screenshot of the garrison.
1tdjFsU.jpg
0Dg4qmA.jpg

Right now I'm focusing on the dungeons and triggers, so there's still much to be done.

Level 4
Do you know/mind that it will be hard to add/place pathing blockers and platforms to your terrain?

Yeap, I've began placing them in the western areas of the map and it's not an easy task to say the least. Although the map size is not that big so the process won't be overly long, just a bit tedious.

+Some new screenshots of the mine that I showed previously, this time ingame:

foCm1Zc.jpg
9TE47go.jpg

+Started working on a new zone, or a complete remake of the first one depending on how things will turn out:

9Qu1Idk.jpg

Last edited:
Level 4
Sure, feel free to use it however you want.

The progress slowed down a bit due to not having as much time as I did before. And as I said before I decided to revamp the whole map, making it bigger and more focused on exploration.

Here a small update on the southern region.

Attachments

• Image.png
    Image.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 151
Status
Not open for further replies.