• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

30k doodad limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
Why is there a 30k doodad limit?

The amount of doodads is hardly relevant - the amount of visible doodads is relevant.

In other words, density matters, not the absolute values.

30k doodads for a 480x480 map isn't the same as a 32x32 map.

To make things worse, in custom maps you can never know at what distance the camera will be.
In some maps it's very close, in some maps it's very far.

I attached two maps with the same amount of doodads, spread over the maximum density allowed in these sizes, just to prove the point.
The small map destroys WE.
The big map cannot have a proper density of doodads even if it wanted to.

So what's a proper solution? there isn't any. You can't calculate the density if you don't know the camera settings, which are completely arbitrary, and putting an arbitrary maximum is meaningless.

At the end the map maker and testers and players will know if the map runs good or not, regardless of any arbitrary limits.

Attachments

• SignPostsSmall.w3x
    149.6 KB · Views: 28
  • SignPostsBig.w3x
    422.2 KB · Views: 37
Level 11
My understanding is that placing doodads (along with everything else that's preplaced) is done during map initialization via script, and having too many doodads can lead to the script being terminated due to a timeout.

My understanding is that placing doodads (along with everything else that's preplaced) is done during map initialization via script, and having too many doodads can lead to the script being terminated due to a timeout.

If you are talking about JASS initialization from the main function, then that doesn't happen with doodads or destructables. Furthermore you cannot create a doodad with script and there are no handle types for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.