• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Doodad limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen a lot of speculation and many conflicting statements, but never an official response on the matter. Maybe none has been given and maybe my ability to do proper research sucks, idk.

Will we be allowed to exceed the 30k doodad / destructable limit?

Although a slim hope it would also be extremely nice to be able to use more than 16 tiles.

As it is it's just not feasible to make nicely decorated 480x480 maps. Anything bigger than 280x280 really isn't possible to properly decorate with quality terrain.

This is 2020 (soon) and most people's computers has enough memory to handle 100k doodads...

Level 7
I don't know if you;ve had a chance to test out the reforged editor yet but I worry what kind of performance you'd get if you maxed out the doodad limit on Reforged, the graphics are much more demanding than classic. Ingame map load times are also a factor, they don't load fast in reforged and doodads can also increase this.

I don't know if you;ve had a chance to test out the reforged editor yet but I worry what kind of performance you'd get if you maxed out the doodad limit on Reforged, the graphics are much more demanding than classic. Ingame map load times are also a factor, they don't load fast in reforged and doodads can also increase this.
As long as memory can handle it it's no problem. You only render what's on-screen anyway. No matter what performance people will be getting I should still be allowed to create a map with no doodad limits. It doesn't make any sense at all to have a limit as people most probably won't release maps that are laggy to a point where they are unplayable.

Level 20
The upper limit is going to be dictated by the lowest end toaster that can run Warcraft 3, the same as before. Only this time around it seems the lowball is 32 bit Windows 7 hamstringing it for the rest of the 64 bit OSs.

Level 4
Once again, it will be up to fans to create an option within the "Blizzard limits". lol
I think an excellent alternative to solve this, would be "deceiving" W.E., considering that units are almost "infinite" for insertion in the playable map. We could create countless Buildings units, but customizing their pahting-texture (huge sizes) for certain decorative objects that allow us to fill the map for path blocking or purely decorative areas ... modifying the model for sets of rocks, denser vegetation or even for several trees (obviously not used for harvesting), and through texture pathing it can not only limit accessibility, but create internal paths in the "Building" that allows faster "secret passages" between the trees.
Therefore, you would limit most of your Doodads to only trees that will be harvested near base areas or gold mines.

Status
Not open for further replies.