• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A

Watch the video, then read this.

So, what did you like of the video? In the video a woman walked for 10 hours in NYC. She had pretty face, nice jeans, good shape, perfect skin texture. Strangers whistled at her and begged for her attention, and said hello for her, one guy even followed her for good 5 minutes.

What do you thing what's the meaning of this video? It's to raise awareness of street harassment, can't a woman walk on a street in peace? Would you like if you were interrupted on the street? Women are known to be sexually abused, so it's only good if you're cautious for it, and don't like to get interrupted on the street.

But, please read this informational link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminism
I like how wikipedia has told it quite neutrally :)

So after acknowledging what feminism is, you can see how pure feminism the video is.

But that's not a bad idea to push women's rights is it? I mean, men don't get interrupted by opposite sex on the street, do they? Also men are physically stronger than women, there must be rights for women to live in peace.

But, there is something "behind the scenes" psychology going on:

1. Woman was pretty
2. Woman wore tight closes (attractive)
3. Woman was alone
4. She walked for 10 hours, quite a moment to gather some footage
5. Video has thumps up/down disabled

For all the points, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP1Vxu2erq4

I dunno if there's a psychological term for it, but I'd call it bts mind trick (behind the scene), where there's some preset variables to the represented scenario.

Also the video abuses our mind's thought process. To be honest, I was for it for a moment, I was so easily tricked into thinking "oh my god, is that really how women are treated :O", before taking "bts mind trick" into account.

Now if there's someone standing against my point and being offended by how I'm against the video with so important meaning:

1. Why wasn't the girl ugly/fat?
2. Why she wore tight clothes?
3. Why was she alone?

And for those who think "being alone" isn't a valid point; ofc it is -,- think about it...

No, I'm not suggesting you to be against/for feminists, this is just a perfect example of how our minds can easily be tricked! Please be aware of what you're standing for!

Also, some comment read "... But also in my Country here is this normal that often always women be addressed by men, day for day..." that is your country's problem lol? It's not global... Also as I said I want to discuss about the psychological trickery behind this, not the content itself!

Level 35
Okay, I opened a discussion about this video with jondrean in private, but it seems there's a point missing, so I'll put it out here:

This video is racist. There are only black and mexican people wooing at the poor lady and it's all out to tell people that they're the only sources of threats a woman has to face when walking in NYC. I bet there were just as many white people wooing as well, except they focused on the part with minorities participating.

Do not watch, it spreads hate!

Level 5
Oh god, please don't bring that bullshit into here. That woman is an attention whore, and that video needs to buried into the endless void of the Internets. I'd say more, but I can't without being profane.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Watched it.

Seems like bullshit to me.

edit:
Also men are physically stronger than women, there must be rights for women to live in peace.
Really? How is this relevant? Since we're using the video as a reference this is clearly verbal stuff and not rape or something. Just sayin'

Not to mention that in the US you can get a weapon licence in Toys R Us for 10$ so it's not like you're defenseless even if that was the case.
do not take that argument too seriously, lol

this woman is not a feminist. this woman trivializes gender inequality; there are much more pressing issues than being occasionally told 'hey there', and emphasizing such insignificant 'inequities' only steals attention from actual fucking problems that women face. reactionary feminism only worsens society's perceptions of femininity.

Level 14
1. Woman was pretty
2. Woman wore tight closes (attractive)
3. Woman was alone
4. She walked for 10 hours, quite a moment to gather some footage
5. Video has thumps up/down disabled

So just to address this list, I have to say that that's bullshit if you think that those can be held against the video. No shit she was attractive and alone, that was the whole point of the video. Or do you think that it's okay that a woman can't walk on the street alone in peace? Also the point 5. has nothing to do with the validity of the claims the video makes.

Personally I can't imagine what's going on in the minds of people who latched onto her and kept pestering her.

this woman is not a feminist. this woman trivializes gender inequality; there are much more pressing issues than being occasionally told 'hey there', and emphasizing such insignificant 'inequities' only steals attention from actual fucking problems that women face. reactionary feminism only worsens society's perceptions of femininity.

Now this is just bullshit.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I gathered those points from the video I linked. And personally I think those are good points.

The guy in the video explains those points well :)

So, are you a feminist?

Level 21
One could say that nobody should walk alone (or walk really, it is seriously big city) in NYC, male or female. I at least wouldn't.

Also after 10 hours of walking, perhaps in questionable areas, I kinda expected well something more besides few throwaway lines of which not all have to be even aiming at the girl. Only one guy that walked next to her for few minutes was disturbing (maybe he liked to be on the camera). It is just barely 2 minutes of people saying "hi there" basically. I really ask you if you walk alone for 10 hours in city with that big population how exactly are you not expecting to be bothered no mater what gender you are. I was under impression that women face more important issues in USA like not having equal pay as men for same job.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Also after 10 hours of walking, perhaps in questionable areas, I kinda expected well something more besides few throwaway lines of which not all have to be even aiming at the girl. Only one guy that walked next to her for few minutes was disturbing (maybe he liked to be on the camera). It is just barely 2 minutes of people saying "hi there" basically. I really ask you if you walk alone for 10 hours in city with that big population how exactly are you not expecting to be bothered no mater what gender you are. I was under impression that women face more important issues in USA like not having equal pay as men for same job.
You're 100% right :)

Level 5
So just to address this list, I have to say that that's bullshit if you think that those can be held against the video. No shit she was attractive and alone, that was the whole point of the video. Or do you think that it's okay that a woman can't walk on the street alone in peace? Also the point 5. has nothing to do with the validity of the claims the video makes.

Personally I can't imagine what's going on in the minds of people who latched onto her and kept pestering her.

Now this is just bullshit.

"You're pretty"
"Help, I'm being harassed!"

Now THAT is just bullshit. I hope you white knights defending this wankery realize that it won't help you get laid.

Level 14
"You're pretty"
"Help, I'm being harassed!"

"You're pretty"? Looks like you didn't even watch the video. Though I do agree that the video had some bullshit moments like that, for example (IIRC) saying "good morning beautiful" is not harassment by any means.

Now THAT is just bullshit. I hope you white knights defending this wankery realize that it won't help you get laid.

Yeah sure, obviously I was expecting to have sex with the woman in the video by posting that comment, right? Sure.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

32 million view? you've gotta be kidding me!
Yeah and look at its date, it has gathered all those views in such a short amount of time.

Level 14
Now let's assume that they got some $2 / 1000 views adsense money (I think it's something like that..?), that's a pretty good profit for a video like that.

Plus of course the amount the organization that commissioned the video paid them.

What the woman faced in the video barely consitutes harrassment, being told "have a good day" is by no means harrassing, the others have already mentioned the few cases which could be interpretted that way and other reasons for why they may have occured. Considering the vast amount of footage the actual shown problems are fairly benign which implies that the problem is not that great (as to not have anything more notable) granted they were being filmed the whole time (and not in a subtle way). Showing only coloured people doing it is also rather questionable since I can't imagine it was just them doing it. However I will say this certainly isn't an issue that only has an effect on women - men do get called out to on the streets as well, provided they're considered attractive at a distance.

I was under impression that women face more important issues in USA like not having equal pay as men for same job.

I was under the impression of this being a well-perpetuated myth, or rather at the very least legally dealt with (proving that this is the case can lead to sueing and potential jail time for employers who do it, though I'll grant you it's not the easiest thing to prove) considering laws set out in the 1960s/70s

I do agree that there are bigger fish to fry as it were, but at this point they're not what you'd call "rights" issues - at least for women of America - which makes me question the idea of modern feminism being a "rights movement" it's devolved now to just a social pressure group if anything, since I've not seen them complain about anything which actually consitutes a right which the law does not already deal with (and doing more to deal with would actually create inequality via female bias)

Overall I just find the video petty and an attempt at viral campaigning for nothing but money which will go on to do also nothing, a bit like those "teach men not to rape" people who seem to forget that rapists tend to be well aware that what they're doing is not legal or "ok" and so saying such serves no purpose other than gather people under a rediculously silly banner as if that solves anything, just that in this case it's "street harrassment" which is arguably non-existant in the case of this video

Level 5
"You're pretty"? Looks like you didn't even watch the video. Though I do agree that the video had some bullshit moments like that, for example (IIRC) saying "good morning beautiful" is not harassment by any means.

I did watch, I just never made it til the end, it was too much BS to digest.

Yeah sure, obviously I was expecting to have sex with the woman in the video by posting that comment, right? Sure.

I think you know full and well what I meant.

I was under the impression of this being a well-perpetuated myth

That's because it is. A myth that should just die already.

Okay, I opened a discussion about this video with jondrean in private, but it seems there's a point missing, so I'll put it out here:

This video is racist. There are only black and mexican people wooing at the poor lady and it's all out to tell people that they're the only sources of threats a woman has to face when walking in NYC. I bet there were just as many white people wooing as well, except they focused on the part with minorities participating.

Do not watch, it spreads hate!

haha, first what I noticed about it. And those Vucumprà bother anyone they can, regardless how they look like.

There isn't some magical "attention bank" from which you withdraw when you complain about an issue. Complaining about less than life threatening issues isn't trivializing them.
attention can very easily be misdirected, idk what you're talking about. the issue isn't just less than life threatening, it's a non-issue as tank-commander points out.

Level 14
As if you had some concrete arguments in the first place. It's hard to see your opposition as anything else than being personally uncomfortable with the subject and thus wanting everyone to just "shut up about it". I maintain that saying "attention will be misdirected" is stupid. You can say that about anything at all. The time you took to write a reply took attention away from third world poverty, you know? Right.

Level 22
IIRC, Heinvers had a similar experience, but in reverse, he was the one being called on by the girls so this happens on both genders. So...

CTX125200-1.gif

As if you had some concrete arguments in the first place. It's hard to see your opposition as anything else than being personally uncomfortable with the subject and thus wanting everyone to just "shut up about it". I maintain that saying "attention will be misdirected" is stupid. You can say that about anything at all. The time you took to write a reply took attention away from third world poverty, you know? Right.
i can't see you being anything other than an argumentative contrarian.

here's my personal opinion: street harassment is bad. but the issue is not gender-specific. it's not even really directly solvable, unless you overhaul education and societal structure. the types of people who harass aren't the ones who respond to this kind of video with 'oh dang maybe i shud change'.

and the video itself is incredibly biased in its desperate attempt to expose this 'horrific' gender inequality. an attractive man walking for 10 hours in one of the largest (population-wise) cities, in areas with low socio-economic demographics, will get the same amount of 'harassment', if you can call 'hi beautiful' greetings that.

to my argument, it was never simply 'attention will be misdirected'; when you misrepresent an issue and people know it, you look bad and you make the people you represent look bad. when you inflate a non-issue, you invariable trivialize real hardships. how do you not understand this?

oh god, you've misinterpreted the meaning of 'misdirected attention' so much. it isn't, like you say, stealing from an 'attention bank'. it's inadvertently de-emphasising an issue. if i say 'the bruise on my knee is a real problem', that doesn't take away from third world poverty. if i say 'bruises on knees are one of the most prevalent issues of third-world poverty', that most definitely does. fucking damn if you still think 'you can say that about anything' then iunno i just aint gonna reply

Level 21
This video is a joke. Men are both physically and mentally superior to women and thus can handle situations like this without being intimidated. Women, on the other hand, have a right to demand protections from harassment because they are very fragile, helpless, weak and sensitive.

That sounds pretty much like an argument that some self-defined feminists use. Oh wait...

Look, if people want to create and sustain a cause (in this case feminism) and use it to make some people's circumstances better through whatever means, then it is acceptable as long as those means do not hurt or infract upon other people's basic rights.

If you watch something like this and have an opinion on this then you are the one getting involved in it, you are not being forced into it; if you were then there would be a problem. The woman is raising a point about street harassment - she wants it to stop. If it does, for even a marginal number of people, then it is a good cause but like I said it should not infringe upon anyone else, which, this video does not.

To be perfectly honest, I would probably also turned around for a quick moment had I saw her walking by. Why? Because she has well-above-average sized breasts. And that's pretty much it. Do the same experiment with a woman not showcasing her assets in a super-tight tanktop and you'll get different results.

If that offends you, all power to you, but this is how humans work. You see an attractive man/woman, you look at him/her a little bit longer than usual.

If I'd walk around in super-tight cycling shorts for 10 hours, I'm pretty sure I'd get at least one or two comments on that (or getting laughed at, whatever). Why is it a big deal here?

Men and women alike are meant to dress "properly" in public if they want to avoid confrontation. You just don't walk around NY downtown in revealing clothes as a women, the same as you don't walk around a preschool with trenchcoat and cycling pants as a man.
Let's move on. Nothing to see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.