• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

The Lone Footman

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Tremble Mortals, and Despair! The Lone Footman has come to Warcraft 3!

Righty, after a few months of working on this on and off (been busy in school and unpacking etc...) I have finally finished a rather long demo of my cinematic, the Lone Footman.

Just before you watch it, please make sure to remember that when the movie starts, press escape to actually start it, and don't abuse the escape key, or your gonna have a retarded movie....

I know this isn't A grade material, but this is the first version (and my first cinematic at that!) So enjoy everyone, and feel free to PM me or E-mail me over MSN if you find any problems, bugs, glitches and what not (or if I forgot someone in the credits!!)

Comments are really appreciated, as is some feedback.
Hope everyone Likes it!!!

Hellblazer-14

Update 0.2 --- Added a line of credits for Happy Tauren and his models, sorry man! I knew I probably would forget something :/

Update 0.3 --- Added a Minimap Preview :p

Update 0.4 --- Removed the annoying, looping background sound ruing the graveyard scene also fixed the file so the w3x at the end didnt get cut off.

Keywords:
The Lone Footman, Necromancer, Necromancy, Undead, War, Battle, Whatever, Stuff, zombies, survival, defense, death, undeath, lol, rofl
Contents

THE LONE FOOTMAN (Map)

Reviews
16:22, 6th Dec 2008 Rui: I have watched "The Lone Footman", which was overall an unimpressive cinematic. With a rating of 2/5 (Lacking), the resource goes to Reviewed status. See the moderator's full review.

M

16:22, 6th Dec 2008
Rui:
I have watched "The Lone Footman", which was overall an unimpressive cinematic. With a rating of 2/5 (Lacking), the resource goes to Reviewed status.

See the [self=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=85255&page=2#post932459]moderator's full review[/self].

Level 13
Incredible cinematic, 5/5, even if it's incomplete. And I didn't have any lag at all :grin: Anyways, can't wait to see it finished!

Only I thing I noticed, at the point when the undead are summoned, the zombie on the top left corner is asleep for some reason... You see the ZZZ on it :xxd:
Is that a bug or just a joke?

Level 12
thanks guys :grin::grin::grin:

Well, the sleeping zombie part is weird, I didn't add it, and it seems to occur randomly... but hell, i guess it could be a joke (nobody knows XD) Yeah, the lag is only for people with older pc's, sorry for that.

Well, I hope to keep working on this thing, depending how much free time I have after school. And yes, there are a few stronghold sounds in it (you actually recognized that , wow XD) so credit to them for those sounds.

Thanks for such a positive response!!!

Level 2
Yay! Thanks to my bro's editting, it works now! Great job on this! :ned: 9/10!

Pros
  • the terraing was realistic and able to work for the cinematic 3-Dimensionally
  • the custom music and audio made it even more realistic
  • the animations, triggers, and overall movie was great

Cons
  • the sounds were sometimes SO annoying :p - like during the WHOLE 5 minutes of the magician and stuff, the sound with the guys fighting and dying repeated for soooo long
  • the grammar and word usage/accuracy wasn't that good and was incorrect at some times; if you'd like, I could help you with it
  • at the credits part, some words overlap

All in all, it was a great start; superb! Can't wait for next parts.

btw, what was the name of the song at the end?

Level 12
If i forgot to mention this, the reason why people cannot open this map with the world editor
- it is made with world ed unlimited and contains advanced triggers, which can only be opened with Weu
- It is protected

If you want to watch it, all you have to do is get the map and put it in the warcraft 3 maps folder, open warcraft 3, go to custom games, select the cinematic as your custom game and press start ^^

Level 12
OK, for the people who didn't get this part of the movie, the magician is good before he casts the spell. He wants to summon the dead from the graveyard to help overcome the invaders.

Therefore he performs necromancy, but his soul is corrupted as he does this and he becomes a dark magus. He didn't raise the captain because there was no point :p his leg was shot off with an arrow XD

Yes, Pile "everything" you have against the gates XD

Level 23
Dude, it's Summer now. lol Your cinimatic is great as far as being your first. =D This holds you in good stead as a cinimatic master. Hmmm..... maybe Someone should make a unit called the Cinimatic Master... and a map, with the unit/hero named hellblazer... XD

Level 3
I heard the "our forces are under attack". I actually thought that was funny since an orc seemed to be saying it. But anyways great movie, man. I give it a 5/5 easy. I just can't wait until the second one comes out.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I have watched "The Lone Footman", and this is my review for the current version.

Rui's Review
Pluses and Minuses
√ Hive Workshop requirements
√ (No) Bugs

+/- Action/Ambient
+/- Camera
+/- Terrain

(X) Music/Sound
(X) Script
(X) Lore introduction
(X) Imported Material
"The Lone Footman" is a cinematic type map by [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/hellblazer-14]hellblazer-14[/URL]. It meets the Hive's requirements and is clear of bugs.

The movie started with an hasty runner, and I liked the terrain he went through. I didn't like the fort so much, though – it was not good. The camera did not reveal many parts of the terrain, and it wasn't all that good throughout the cinematic.
Soon, a somewhat laggy battle begins (I don't spoiling, but it is probably the top thing people have spoken about here). We can't blame it on the creator – it's a Warcraft III limitation after all. Even though, what I disliked mostly was the lack of true action and realism in a scene where the battle was the theme.
The things I couldn't stand were the lack of an introduction to the lore, as well as a waste of space on unnecessary resources, such as the ending music and the legionnaire model.A negative grade goes also to the script, which was very uninteresting. Why so many capital letters, if they are used only for proper names?
I didn't like the story all that much, but you are still capable of innovating: the Sect of the Holy Mother series had a similar start, yet in the end they were successful.
My rating for this resource is 2/5 (Lacking), and has been set to Reviewed status.

Level 31
Review
Notice & Contact
This map has been examined by Alexis Septimus. If you believe this map review is not accurate, or require another review, please feel free to contact Alexis Septimus via his profile listed below. This map will only be reviewed again, for the second and final time, under certain circumstances. Please don't repeatedly ask a mod or admin to review your map, as there are many other resources waiting for approval and it'd be selfish.

However, if you still insist of another review after it had been review for second time. Feel free to contact other admin.

To contact Alexis Septimus, use his
new_mail.png
Visitor Message.
Map Review

[Yes] Author & map name
[Yes] Map description
[Yes] THW rules & regulation
[Yes] Map in English language
[Yes] No Error/Crash/Fatal error
[Yes] Quality are acceptable
[Yes] Credit given to custom resources.
[Yes] Not stolen/hack/de-protect map

Condition : Average
Review : 1

Note : I notice the camera hardly have any action at all, it rarely move other than the battle scenery. Apart from that, the scout seems to be.... ugh*.. penetrate the gate towards the kingdom on his report.

There is no voice actor for this cinematic. To make the matter evens worst, there is no music at several scenerys as well. You should add some background music so the audience would not fall asleep reading all those conversation. The music something switch off all the sudden at some scenario, you should make it slowly fade instead of immediately.

I cannot said much about grammar error since my english is not that great either. But, I notice several typo errors in your cinematic which are rather obvious (Even if the person is not a native speaker of english, they could have notice it as well).

And there is a few contradiction at the battle scenery as well. For example, the trebuchet hurls a rock towards the castle wall and it collapse with a single blast ? It usually took a few rocks to give a forceful concussion to break it, and you should add some rock on the destroy wall area cause some hardcore audience would be thinking "Where the hell the stone used to build the walls have gone ?".

Another contradiction can be seen was the footman standing on top of the wall, but I could be wrong at this point. But, footman should be at gate entrance to ward off the invader while the archer should be at the top of the wall. But, the main question is... "Why those footmen was at the wall instead of archer ?"

Sound effect could be another matter either, I could have sworn I do not heard any sound effect during the battle scenery.

There is plenty of negative opinion over here, isn't it ? But there is some positive part of this cinematic as well. For example, the terrain had been carefully done with all those necessary detail have been implement over it. Ordinary user would love the terrain which have been naturally created for this cinematic, as for those who're expert in terraining. Maybe yes, maybe no.

Apart from that, there is 1-3 camera been set with a good angle. Given the audience a feeling of great battle is coming to storm the kingdom. It evens have some nice sense of humor scenario on it which show the human natural sides, such as the hunger for power and influence.

This cinematic could be a fine masterpiece if the author itself does not create it in such a rush to release it to the public. Apart from those minor error, it was free of bug that could possibly crash wc3. Thus, it deserves approval and if I should give rating to this resources. I would give it 2/5 currently.

Reminder
The map might not be fully tested, if any user of the map found bug/error or anything else. Feel free to contact Alexis Septimus by clicking this
new_mail.png
Visitor Message.

Level 12
Yeah it's my first cinematic. And it's very old now, those reviews kinda revived this thread :/

There were tons of sound effects in the battle scene, maybe you had the sound turned off on your pc.. and there was music on almost every part, and it always faded out as well. The only time I left out music was during the scene where the camera showed the destroyed city, so the viewer wouldn't get flooded with sound. I didn't have enough people for voice actors, I actually wrote a thread on the site requesting voice over actors, but I only got about 2 replies, and that wasn't enough to act out all the parts, considering there were way more characters than that :/

Footmen were on the wall to protect the archers in case the gate got stormed, so they could hold off infantry trying to kill the archers on the walls. There was no possible effect I could use for what you said with the rocks, I tried to make one but failed with my very poor triggering skills :cry:

I was never able to fix the issue with the Gate, I used the trigger- Destructible - play stand death alternate animation. You can even tell that the gate is doing this, but the fact is that there almost seems to be a second gate right on top of the first, not playing its death alternate, which is really odd. The cameras at some parts are really shit, I agree with that completely xD...
n why the hell did you say I rushed this? I spent months on this cinematic D:!!!

Oh wells Ima thanks for the reviews, But I'm going to leave this thing, It doesn't look like it's wanted. I know this is shit, I couldn't terrain or trigger for shit back then (or now as well?). I sound like a cry baby now, oh well, what the heck.
Thanks to all the people who watched this, I hope you got some enjoyment out of it :sad:

Level 12
First, I know you take my critique, unlike the others here...

well, for your first cin. it was very good.

Terrain - was good, but next time, work with fog, without fog, in distance there can be seen end of visible map, and that looks ugly.

Music - I only heard the music during attack, Imo it doesnt fit medieval battle

Effects-effects were very good. The battle itself was also on high standart. (it was laggy but that could be couse of my pc) It of course could be better, but it worked well with user's imagination about how the battle continued.

Cameras-here is the critical point, cameras. The tip "you have never enought" cameras" is actuall whole map. But it isnt about numbers of cameras, but also with movement. Dont be afraid to use "apply camera object for 0second (yes, zero)" It looks smoother than "apply camera for x>0 sec" and camera will move from point A to point B for almost 180degrees. And during dialogue, make camera closer to units. (when necromancers speaks with that promoted sergeant, sergeant wasnt visible at all)

Minors bugs-units were playing custom animation when they were speaking.
The captain (or who) when he speaks with necro, he standed on that little hill in front of entrance to the crypt and he was standing like ----/---- (and not normally like -----I----)

3.5/5 from me

Level 12
Thanks for the Critique, it helps me improve a lot :p
This map is now half a year or more old xD, but back then my triggering and terraining skills were very lacking, I didn't know how to add terrain fog :ugly: and many other things, I can do that now :p

I'll implement all I can into the new part, as well as more cameras. Thank you again for the critique ! :wink:

Level 5
Hey, i downloaded this cause i thought it was a game. But enven if it was a cinematic it was very good and i watched it to the end. And not like the others, i had no lag, i don't know why they had. Hope there will be a second part :) !!!:thumbs_up: