• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lone Paths

Reactions: Map Designer
---------- ----------

LONE PATHS

Map Info:

This is my entry for the melee maps groups contest
I'm not that good at using tiles or doodads, but i tried taking inspiration from other mappers here on hive.
It is a quite big 2 players map, with a lot of opportunities to creep.
The map has been studied quite a bit, testing harras timings and creeps difficulty/time,
trying to make it as balanced as possible for all races (still not sure about some creep camps though).
Main base can be closed (mainly for humans), and there quite a few spots to build ancients (mainly for ne).
There is a lack of choke points, since there are open spaces mainly.
Maybe(?) there is not much room around the creep camps to creep.
There are some unusual item drops in the map, such as ring +1 allstats, ring+3 allstats,
nightvision item, orb of darkness4 (+4attack+1armor) (this one i had to edit so that it is not an orb effect)

Features:

This is a 2-Players melee map.

Gold Mines:

There is one natural expo for each player

Two hard red camped mines, for later expansions

Neutral Buildings:
-1 Shop
-2 Mercenary camps
-2 Shipyards
-2 Goblin Laboratories
-1 Marketplace
-1 Fountain of health
-1 Tavern

Screenshots:

Image Description:
map overview

239133-albums7592-picture91807.jpg

Change Log:

1.0 first release

1.1 fixed some of the prices of the "unusual" items mentioned above

Sorry for bad english, if you find typos or such, please tell me.

Also, suggestions and critics are appreciated.

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
Melee, map, lone, path, paths, lordaeron, summer, village, sea, isle, rain, fog, grey, human, orc, undea, nightelf.
Contents

Lone Paths (Map)

Reviews
Moderator: StoPCampinGn00b Lone Paths by AYF REVIEW Lone Paths is a 1v1 melee map created by melee "map making contest #1" contestant, AYF. It's balanced in it's current state (v1.1) and it has questionably too similar - but no doubt well...

M

[TD]
Moderator:
StoPCampinGn00b
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif

Lone Paths
by AYF
navbits_start.gif
REVIEW
Lone Paths is a 1v1 melee map created by melee "map making contest #1" contestant, AYF. It's balanced in it's current state (v1.1) and it has questionably too similar - but no doubt well made - looking terrain of those made by Blizzard. Read below for a more detailed explanation regarding the quality of the map.
navbits_start.gif
FEEDBACK
Gameplay:
There is a wide variety of different types of creeps to hunt down. Though using a slightly customized drops, they are fair, not too powerful or weak. The drops by chance are symmetrical across the map. If a creep in the west is set to drop a level 3 permanent item, the mirrored creep in the east will also drop a level 3 permanent item. There are more orange camps than green camps, which isn't seen too often, but that isn't really an issue and rather a preference to some.

Adding on to the symmetry, the map itself is so symmetric down the Y-axis of the map. The same amount of neutral buildings and resources are the same distance away from both starting points. The starting points are enclosed and can be satisfying to those who have a specific build order. You've stated in your description that the map is too wide open, but if you look around the middle, there are actually a lot of chokepoints. It's not too open, there is a great mix of how much space there is in the map to fight with different styles.

What could bring a 'question mark' up are the mercenary camps. They are relatively close to starting locations and somewhat near each other (which could account for double purchases and advantages for night elf and human). There are many things that are compensated for the camps already being made such as the fountain and two shops being present for orcs, allowing only one early expansion for humans, and enough resources and the critters being present for undead.

In total, the use of melee components (and it's balance) was simply a lot better than most melee maps people will see uploaded. Many strategies can be used, including those shipyards at the bottom.
Visuals:
The map visually is so similar to Blizzard's style of Lordaeron Summer.

The tile usage was pretty standard, no areas were empty and it was consistent throughout the whole of the map. The height leveling was a fun amount, not effecting melee gameplay in a negative way. The cliffs were used well, especially in the shallow water areas.

It's slightly more decorative than most Lordaeron Summer maps with a fair mix of environmental doodads and rural medieval structures such as mills, small houses, and other aesthetics like fences and lamp posts.

The big question, can it be improved? Only slightly if the map isn't crazily changed to become one with an over the top creative look.
Miscellaneous:
None.
navbits_start.gif
VERDICT
This map is now approved with a moderator rating of 4 stars out of 5. This map is suitable for tournaments, but it does not have the over the top visuals like some of the 5 star maps on Hive Workshop.
navbits_start.gif
FAQ

[COLOR=white

Map Making Related

[COLOR=white

[COLOR=white

] How can I get my map approved? Learn here.
Where can I get world editor assistance and find tutorials? Here.

Forum Related[/COLOR]]How do I navigate the Hive Workshop? Learn here.
What does reputation mean at the bottom of my profile? Learn here.
Where can I discuss a problem only with the staff and/or higher administrators? Here.

[/COLOR]
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
[/TD] [/TD][/tr]

Level 32
[TD]
Moderator:
StoPCampinGn00b
user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif

Lone Paths
by AYF
navbits_start.gif
REVIEW
Lone Paths is a 1v1 melee map created by melee "map making contest #1" contestant, AYF. It's balanced in it's current state (v1.1) and it has questionably too similar - but no doubt well made - looking terrain of those made by Blizzard. Read below for a more detailed explanation regarding the quality of the map.
navbits_start.gif
FEEDBACK
Gameplay:
There is a wide variety of different types of creeps to hunt down. Though using a slightly customized drops, they are fair, not too powerful or weak. The drops by chance are symmetrical across the map. If a creep in the west is set to drop a level 3 permanent item, the mirrored creep in the east will also drop a level 3 permanent item. There are more orange camps than green camps, which isn't seen too often, but that isn't really an issue and rather a preference to some.

Adding on to the symmetry, the map itself is so symmetric down the Y-axis of the map. The same amount of neutral buildings and resources are the same distance away from both starting points. The starting points are enclosed and can be satisfying to those who have a specific build order. You've stated in your description that the map is too wide open, but if you look around the middle, there are actually a lot of chokepoints. It's not too open, there is a great mix of how much space there is in the map to fight with different styles.

What could bring a 'question mark' up are the mercenary camps. They are relatively close to starting locations and somewhat near each other (which could account for double purchases and advantages for night elf and human). There are many things that are compensated for the camps already being made such as the fountain and two shops being present for orcs, allowing only one early expansion for humans, and enough resources and the critters being present for undead.

In total, the use of melee components (and it's balance) was simply a lot better than most melee maps people will see uploaded. Many strategies can be used, including those shipyards at the bottom.
Visuals:
The map visually is so similar to Blizzard's style of Lordaeron Summer.

The tile usage was pretty standard, no areas were empty and it was consistent throughout the whole of the map. The height leveling was a fun amount, not effecting melee gameplay in a negative way. The cliffs were used well, especially in the shallow water areas.

It's slightly more decorative than most Lordaeron Summer maps with a fair mix of environmental doodads and rural medieval structures such as mills, small houses, and other aesthetics like fences and lamp posts.

The big question, can it be improved? Only slightly if the map isn't crazily changed to become one with an over the top creative look.
Miscellaneous:
None.
navbits_start.gif
VERDICT
This map is now approved with a moderator rating of 4 stars out of 5. This map is suitable for tournaments, but it does not have the over the top visuals like some of the 5 star maps on Hive Workshop.
navbits_start.gif
FAQ

Map Making Related

Forum Related

How can I get my map approved? Learn here.
Where can I get world editor assistance and find tutorials? Here.

How do I navigate the Hive Workshop? Learn here.
What does reputation mean at the bottom of my profile? Learn here.
Where can I discuss a problem only with the staff and/or higher administrators? Here.

user_offline.gif
user_offline.gif
[/TD] [/TD][/tr]

Last edited:
Level 16
^ Perhaps you should see other maps because I'm already working on this one. You can do it if you really want to, but my recommendation is to find some maps with no feedback given on to it. Reason? For, you know, equality :)

I normally get a list of 10 and review them all within the 2 week Limit I set myself for. I will drop it down to the bottom and start from there.

Level 16
Map Review

JC's Review
[rainbow]Map Review[/rainbow]
by: JCarrill0

Map Name: Lone Paths
Map Author: AYF

Intro

I was told to hold off on this but I wanted to check it out since it looked like an official blizzard map

Unexpected tab 1

[tab][tabheader]GENERAL:[/tabheader]
  1. Looks like Blizzard made it
  2. Seems to be even (symmetrical)
  3. Always love a good Lordaeron Summer Map
[/tab]

[tab][tabheader]PROS:[/tabheader]
  • Looks like Blizzard map makers created it.
  • Lots of creep Camps (Balanced I might add)
  • Goblin ship yards, YES!
[/tab]

[tab][tabheader]Need Updates:[/tabheader]
  • I think to get a Goblin Alch you should have to fight Red (not Orange) creeps, seems a bit easy to do imo.
  • There was no map Description, come on man....
[/tab]

[tab][tabheader]Needs Fixes:[/tabheader]
  • The Expansions to the north seemed too enclosed, perhaps open it up a bit.
[/tab]

[tab][tabheader]QUESTIONS:[/tabheader]
  1. Why Murlocs and Trolls? isn't there a Murloc unit that acts like the troll Trapper?
[/tab]

[tab][tabheader]SUGGESTIONS:[/tabheader]
  • Maybe work on the expansions (northern)
  • Update a few Creeps (murocs, make Golb Alch a bit harder to clear. even if you want to keep it orange orange, maybe make it just under the red qualification.
[/tab]

Conclusion

The map was incredable, I actually thought it was made by Blizzard at first.

Rating: 4/5
Vote: Approval

[Rainbow]Disclaimer: I am not considered an "Official Hive" Map reviewer as of yet, but I do hope to become one in the possible future.[/rainbow]

Level 18
^
Thanks for the review
-Sorry, i don't get what you mean by "goblin alch"
-I know northern expansions are a bit enclosed, but they are meant to be lategame expansions.. will think about opening it up a bit tomorrow (night here)
-I know there are murlocs that ensnare, but i wanted a mix of piercing/ranged and normal/melee damage, also considering the spot of the camp

@SCN
thanks for the review aswell
-it could be improved, but it would need the map to be changed a lot i think. Also, i like keeping maps this simple, with nothing too creative and such

Level 16
^
Thanks for the review
Anytime!
-Sorry, i don't get what you mean by "goblin alch"
Goblin Labratory, (Sorry it was a Typo! Goblin Alchemy Lab building from wc2)
-I know northern expansions are a bit enclosed, but they are meant to be lategame expansions.. will think about opening it up a bit tomorrow (night here)
Fair Enough :)
-I know there are murlocs that ensnare, but i wanted a mix of piercing/ranged and normal/melee damage, also considering the spot of the camp
The murlocs that can ensnare don't use piercing ranged attacks? Murloc huntsmen (ah I see they do melee, not ranged.. Oh well)

Level 16
one way to go about being close mercenary camps is to switch the camp with the starting location, and turn the woods in a way the the bases are not too close. thats it

Edit: not saying that it should happen, just if you want to do it and dont know how, but im fine with double mercenary abuse ^^

Level 15
Contest Review

Summary

The terrain execution for this map is really outstanding! It’s neat and really flexible as there are plenty of paths to go on. Doodads are place modestly clean all over the map, strong emphasize on Blizzard cliffs as well as the terrain height, the shallow water portions of the map are really lovely. It’s really a cool map! Robust creep camps and item drops. Also, the Shade ‘trick’ is rather clever and has an ironic item drop. ;)
However there are some questionable design flaws, such as the Goblin Shipyard; there is too little use for the neutral building, it’s nearly impossible to find any tactical advantage because shallows waters are walkable paths for land units, there is barely anything that the transport ship can reach which land units can. I guess it would’ve been more useful if it’s switched to a different neutral building such as a Goblin Merchant, with that changed, would change the middle into a Dragon Roost or something more substantial for territorial accessibility. Also, triggers are unnecessary for this melee set up, would suggest your remove it to garner a ‘Melee’ status for your map.
Finally though, you forgot to put Suggested players and description in your map. And calculate shadows for maximum fabulous effect.
Map originality – 26/30

Terrain/Layout- 22/25

Creep camp and neutral buildings – 18/20

Item drops – 13/15

Map presentation – 5/10

Total of 84/100