• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Racebuilding Contest #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Race Building Contest
Improved Melee Race

Contest Rules And Conditions

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
• If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
• All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
• Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
• Several screenshots of race in action.
• The file in the appropriate format.
• You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
• Your final submission must be bug free enough to test and play.
• Teamwork is not allowed.
• Finding testers to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
• Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
• The features that may be edited are:
• Gameplay constants
• Game interface
• Object editor
• Trigger editor
• The map's terrain may not be edited. The current four melee races may not be edited.
• Participants must download the (to be provided) template map, edit it and then resubmit it as their entry.
• The resulting map may not exceed 2MB in size.
• Your submission may not be started before the official launch of the contest.

Actual guidelines:

Your aim is to create an improved or at least an alternate version of the current Warcraft 3 races, be it Human/ Orc/ Undead/ Night Elf/ Naga. The race you will create must fit the name of the race you picked to change and must have many similarities to the original one (lore- and concept-wise). You can add new unit-types, as long as they can be conceptually assimilated to the original race. Generally, consider yourself being asked by someone to recreate a Warcraft 3 race into an improved, enhanced version. What would you do? This contest will show that result. You must create a new concept, meaning editing existing stats of a default race won't be considered an improvement. :]

Judging Criteria

• Gameplay (10 points): How fun the gameplay is; does it introduce a new way of playing? Is it too complicated? (If yes, is it still playable?)
• Strategy (10 points): This is what Wacraft 3 is. Does the race offer dynamic and various types of strategy or does it look like a simple race editing?
• Philosophy (5 points): Does it follow the theme of the original race? //Although the points are 5 here, having a score of 0 means elimination from the contest.
• Appearance (5 points): Does the final output look better than the original race?

Score: [Points] /30

P.S. I posted a new contest submission, because I am not fond of the existing alternative idea in the Sumbissions Forum.

Last edited:
There is nothing standard, it should be approximately the number of the units the original race has; you can make more unit types or less unit types, as long as there is a clear concept of the race you are improving and as long as the gameplay doesn't get really complex.

You are allowed to create a whole improved race, so you can import anything and replace anything, as long as they hold the size of 2mb.

You are allowed to remove common building-types, such as towers or player-shops (e.g. Arcane Vault), so that you do not stick exactly to the original race's pattern and be more creative.

The general outcome of the race should be a conceptual formation of the original race, where concept includes units' appearance, buildings' architecture, type of magic used and specific race-based criteria, such as Orcs being brutal, Night Elves being guardians of the forests, Undead bringing corruption with Blight, Humans using technology, etc.

Note: You can follow World of Warcraft's lore as well, to assimilate facts into your race, since they share the same lore.

Some things you will need to notice is refraining yourself from creating a whole new race. For example, when we knew nothing about World of Warcraft, in the era of Warcraft, we used to call Trolls and Goblins.. Orcs. If you are supposed to make an improved version of the Orcs' race and you have a render of a trolls' civilization, then you are supposed to be out of theme/concept, which will cause the elimination of your submission from the contest.

Level 35
Especially seeing as how that would limit creativity, I think it's just a guideline that there are no points taken for doing so. Mind you, the problem with following most lores is that things can easily become overpowered and imbalanced if not implemented appropriately.

One thing I'm wondering is are we able to take the subraces of the melee races and base our creation on that alone? For example, would we be able to do a Tauren race?

@ RED BARON, VeljkoM, you are right, it is not required, it's just typically possible that people can involve World of Warcraft lore. So, if you borrow some extra lore from this MMORPG, your submission won't be out of concept. In case something feels really different from the original Warcraft III race and the source of it is World of Warcraft, you should include some pointer/link from Wowwiki for example.

@Wazzz, no, I have stated that in the previous reply. The concept of this contest has to do with an alternative outcome of the default basic races. If we include Taurens, then Trolls, Goblins, Demons, Dwarves, Pandarens should also be included, which will lead the concept of this contest most likely to the common concept every racebuilding contest has.

I wanted to limit the case within the five big races. Feel free to discuss, if you want more races, but I sincerely find the original suggestion more amusing and competitive. :]

Level 35
lol, this is true although you wouldn't have to include goblins, demons or trolls as none of them are a part of the original races. But point taken nonetheless.

Mind you, that does raise yet another interesting point. What if you were to, for example, take the Human race and redo them from an evil perspective (i.e. bandits)? Like, without the inclusion of Dwarves or Elves in their race? Would that be acceptable?

@ Wazzz, yes, that would be acceptable. The contest limits you to shroud your race into the veil of the original one, but the concept is all yours. If your race is evil or not, that will be up to you, but the factors that should be taken in mind are: the race's appearance must fit with the original one (so yes, bandits are actually human (skin-color and anatomy)), the race must fit with the name of the original race (bandits can definitely bear the Human name) and their buildings' architecture (say tents) are also humanoid structures (used in expeditions and such).

@VeljkoM, like I stated before, you are allowed to remove unit-types, but the unit-types you are going to leave the race with, should identify it. So, nerubians don't really identify the Undead race; picking ghosts or flesheaters instead still forms an undead race. ;)

Level 35
Ah, that's another interesting part, so we can add subraces to the race of our choice, too... so, does this mean if (sticking with the original example) I were to do Bandit Humans, I could ally them with other.... bandity subraces? I'm not too sure what other races are bandity, come to think of it.... hmm..... but you know what I mean?

Or are we able to make races join each other based on our own lore so long as they fit together well? Sorry to ask so many questions, I just want to see how far I can go within the guidelines :p

You are right to ask questions, to prevent misunderstandings and to let other people know of the contest's concept.

You should know that the final race should not be really different from the default one, not to mention that use of subraces will not be tolerated, if used excessively. Remember, you are using bandit models to implement within a human race, you are not creating a bandit race.

You are free to make your own concept, as long as it doesn't differ a lot from the original race's. For example, making Night Elves a race that corrupts the land (sticking to the corrupted Night Elf models) does not comply with the rules, since Night Elves are supposed to honor and embrace nature, not destroy it.

So, to avoid misunderstanding with the use of sub-races, Orcs have two taurens as units (Tauren Chieftain hero and the Tauren unit), a Witch Doctor, Shadow Hunter (the hero) and a Headhunter (Trolls). They are consisted of sub-races, but they do not depend on them. Additionally, Undead's nerubians are not identifying the concept of Undead, they just enhance it. So, to sum up, you are allowed to enhance the concept of your race with extra unit types (which fit the race, e.g. Trolls/Goblins in an Orc race), just don't overdo it. You will be eliminated from the contest, if the outcome looks more like a sub-race than the race you were originally supposed to edit.

You will not create a lore of your own. You can visit Wowwiki for info on each race's lore or Wikipedia or the Warcraft III campaign events.

Level 9
I don't see how some people can misinterpret the rules.
To me it is very clear:
"IMPROVED melee race" means you take the melee race and IMPROVE it the way you see fit.
Not that much need to import models, just improve it.

For example if you were to improve the Night Elf race.
You would probably want to remove the faerie dragon and put something more epic there instead.
You would probably give the heroes new spells (and while your at it replace Keeper of the Grove with something cooler)
You would probably replace the glaive thrower with the ballista.
You would probably want to import
bannernightelfarcher.jpg

Maybe change some of the buildings... and thats how you improve a race.

Simply put - improve it, don't change it into something it's not.

Level 35
No, you can change it into something the original is not, as stated before. What you are proposing is taking the melee race and simply replacing some units. I suppose it wouldn't be entirely bad if you were to keep some of the basic units (although the level of originality required is entirely up to Pharoah_), but let me restate what I understand to be the guidelines:

You pick one of 5 races (the melee ones and the Naga are the options) to create an alternative race. For example, you may take the Human Alliance, but change it to be Human Bandits. This is allowed as you are maintaining the original aspect of the race (in this case, Humans). You are also allowed to include your own subraces (i.e. include Goblins with the Orc race). However, you are not allowed to make a race based on a subrace (i.e. you cannot make a Troll race).

And I believe that's as much as needs to be restated. If I am incorrect in anyway, do let me know, but as I recall this is pretty much word for word what Pharoah_ said. Which confuses me as to why there's people saying they'll make a Goblin race for example, as we have already asked the questions and received that answers.

EDIT: Oh, and you are not allowed to make your own lore. That's another key factor.

Wazzz totally got the point, well done :]

Zpider, you are not supposed to change the look of a standard Warcraft III race, you are supposed to improve its gameplay, its strategy, the abilities of the units and so on.

You can also imagine it like this: Let's say that Blizzard is supposed to create a Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - Part II, which will be Warcraft III into an improved edition from every aspect. The races stay exactly as they are conceptually, but the gameplay and the tactics you can follow in the strategy of the race-playing are seriously improved. Now let's say that, as a gamer, you are asked to design that improved race. Show us what would you do, so that your favourite (e.g.) Night Elf race will enhance the gaming experience of a player. Which aspects of your favourite race you would improve, considering them weak, to attract more players to play with this dead game?

Level 9
So, what your saying is:
"Yes, Zpider you are correct as always. But we wanted to post some walls of text here to make you feel uncomfortable"
I would definatly add new spells to improve the gameplay of my imaginary Night Elf race. I just couldn't come up with any "groundbreaking" gameplay changing spells while I was typing.

You pick one of 5 races (the melee ones and the Naga are the options) to create an alternative race.
But you write "Improved Melee Race" on the first page, whats the deal with that?
To be honest this is to confusing for me.
Are we supposed to make improved melee races or a entirely new one?

I am raging over a competition that hasn't even started yet.
If this competition ever starts I will be making a improved melee race.
Because thats what the competition is about. Right?
You can't make a goblin race, but you can make a bandit race - whats the deal with that? Bandits!?! How are they ever going to create a society?
Goblins are atleast smart enough to make an empire, bandits are just hobos looking for some quick cash.

This is how I feel right now: :ogre_rage:

You are supposed to improve the standard races, you are not supposed to make up your own concept, e.g. Demons or Witches, you are supposed to make Human/Night Elves/Undead/Naga/Orcs, but in an improved version, I think I left my points as to what that means.

As for the Bandits, you are allowed to use the bandit models to represent the units of the Human race, simply because the Bandit models are human. What is more, you can use walking tree models for the Night Elves, since this kind of model shares the philosophy of the Night Elven race.

The difference between this contest and the previous Race building ones is the fact that you do not create a whole new race, you edit the default ones, but use your imagination to make them become better (mostly gameplay-wise and by extension, overall look-wise).

The factor that will count the most is the gameplay: does it introduce anything new, is it fun, is it too complicated? (if yes, is it still playable?).

I will update the first post to present the judging criteria.

Level 35
Nah, I think we're waiting either for more responses or a general agreement to some fine tuning of the terms and conditions and such.

Let's attempt a 'good' version of the Undead =D
lol jks, I think that'd be impossible
But if someone can manage it.... actually, I think I might be able to. Don't reckon I'll bother, but I think I have an idea of how to do it :p

Level 17
So, for example, one could create a night elven race that focuses more on druidism or a specific type of druidism such as the Priestesses of Avianna?

Just to clarify, as I may participate.

@Wolfe, yes, you can enhance your race's concept with one aspect of the original, as long as it belongs to the lore.

@Wazzz, I might participate in this, because I have a couple of ideas, but that's just a possibility. See, I've mentioned your example before, in this thread, saying that no, Night Elves can't have corrupted version, because their whole philosophy derrives from nature, they can't disgrace it. So, no, that would be against the rules. Humans and Orcs on the other side can be bad or too brutal respectively.

NOTE:
You will create a race off of an existing one, but totally sticking to its concept or mostly sticking to its concept. You are allowed to change the strategy of the game, the features and other aspects, as long as you consider it an improvement to the race you are about to edit. For example, a contestant that uses a custom system, that doesn't exist in the game already, it is considered an improvement to the race's functionality. Beware though, you won't go to wc3c, pick every system in there and implement it to your map. You need to be innovative and create something of your own. Having an inventory system implemented won't be considered work of your own, nor anything original, so the "Strategy" parameter in the judging criteria will earn less points.
Implement innvoative stuff, people! Be it concept-, strategy-, anything-wise. :]

Level 38
I think this is probably the most clarifying text for what I believe the guidelines for the contest to be -->
Let's say that Blizzard is supposed to create a Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - Part II, which will be Warcraft III into an improved edition from every aspect. The races stay exactly as they are conceptually, but the gameplay and the tactics you can follow in the strategy of the race-playing are seriously improved. Now let's say that, as a gamer, you are asked to design that improved race. Show us what would you do, so that your favourite (e.g.) Night Elf race will enhance the gaming experience of a player. Which aspects of your favourite race you would improve, considering them weak, to attract more players to play with this dead game?

Sounds pretty cool, I'd join in if this got hosted.

Also, when I hosted the contest over half of the maps didn't have a custom name chosen for them in the map description, so they all looked the same when opening them in WC3. I would highly recommend putting something in the rules to disqualify maps without a viewable name in the map selection screen. Will make judging much easier. ;)

Heh, my night elf archer made it into this thread, my awesomeness precedes me :D

I think this is probably the most clarifying text for what I believe the guidelines for the contest to be -->

Sounds pretty cool, I'd join in if this got hosted.

Also, when I hosted the contest over half of the maps didn't have a custom name chosen for them in the map description, so they all looked the same when opening them in WC3. I would highly recommend putting something in the rules to disqualify maps without a viewable name in the map selection screen. Will make judging much easier. ;)

Heh, my night elf archer made it into this thread, my awesomeness precedes me :D

Hey, that's nice to hear. See I have already posted the contest thread, but I have no response from Pyritie. We're waiting for approval ;]
Here is the link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/contest-submission-233/techtree-contest-4-a-181277/

I wouldn't want to threaten people with disqualification for such an unimportant matter.

Level 12
I let him know, he said some extra attention is required and he probably is right. :]

Well he may be right, since Techtree Contest #2 only had 1 entry (years ago).

However Techtree contests #1 & #3 had a huge amount of contestants, and it seems the same thing will happen here.

Status
Not open for further replies.