• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #29 - Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

That would be amazing, lol.

Lol, now I am tempted. Might create something in that direction, if I cannot come up with something different.

Another idea I have is spaceships transforming/interacting with each other depending on animation ( when channeling, for example, they would form a badass Yamato cannon and such).

fladdermasken, even if the first post clears up a lot of points, I think there are still small points, like the questions I asked, that could influence creation process. When everything comes together, this is still a contest and if an idea does not fit, then it would be good to know that before creating the model for the contest.

fladdermasken, even if the first post clears up a lot of points, I think there are still small points, like the questions I asked, that could influence creation process. When everything comes together, this is still a contest and if an idea does not fit, then it would be good to know that before creating the model for the contest.
Yes, but if you do what he says and use your common sense hardly you will have trouble. ;|

Lol, now I am tempted. Might create something in that direction, if I cannot come up with something different.

Here is some inspiration for you ;)
boab28_siegeGang.jpg

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

HappyCockroach, true true, but I like to go for the safe point.

Hahaha thanks, The_Silent, I might go into this direction or
actually make him grab them, like rocks, and throw them.
I think about what I like more.

I also would like to hear a comment to the spaceship idea, small spaceships forming a squad and transforming into different shapes, depending on animations.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Getting picked up and thrown is less of a problem I would say.
The missile issue is a problem though.
But I already have an alternate solution:
Instead of throwing them, the ogre picks up goblins and
smashes them against the enemy ( this is a bit cruel though)

I am confident with this plan, I am going to model this, I already have some decent ideas for the other animations.

One last thing, about textures, does the difference custom/in-game matters a lot ?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hm, Misha, I think I can weak that point when creating the animations, for example, goblins surronding and protecting ogre in Stand Ready

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
A wip I bring thee:

165527-albums6053-picture106783.png

I want to do something like a frog-like race alchemist squad. they walk around pushing a cauldron on wheels and craft potions and whatnot. :)

The concept is still kinda rough, it will be refined as execution goes on.
Brilliant, also. I've been dying for a cauldron-couple (troll > frog, but whatevs :p), and this is perfectly "squad".

attachment.php

Still doing the Nunchuck thing, This time is more practical and less random then the older idea, added some extra "bromance" to em XD

Instead of using chain to do the "Nunchuck Attack", They cross arm instead, and have a upgrade version with armour so that they look more appropriate in war. Suppose to be hero, no racism here but I add an "Asian Dwarf" with his bro the "Warcraft-ish Dwarf", Most probably using custom texture. Yes, They are wearing punching gloves and half naked without the "upgraded form"

The Armour has a chain, so that they could nunchuck even better in the actual war

Third Sketch will be coming out and be more detailed, Gotta start to practice a proper workflow from now on (Hopefully XD) so that I could work more efficient (And hopefully more professional in future)

The reason why I haven't get into the model is because..... college stuff still not settle yet, So i did a quick sketch as my idea flow

Attachments

• 12596580_913153355449676_1227717899_o.jpg
    12596580_913153355449676_1227717899_o.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 565

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Meh, I don't like how the legs of my troll turned out.
I guess I do have to create a modelling reference for the muscles instead of going blind for it.

I am not sure what it is going to be. The idea I had before with a troll and several goblins, I dropped it, too many humanoid shapes and too difficult to animate.
Currently I think about something like an alternate Alchemist-like model.
A troll carrying other units and fighting together.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Yes, I model and sculpture the details with a high-poly mesh and then re-mesh it down.
Already did some tests, seems to work majorly fine without a greater loss in quality.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hey guys, I wondered how much of the mesh has to be custom.

Example: If I use the orc from the campaign screens as base mesh for my idea,
would it be better/worse or different than making a 100% scratch mesh and my own texture ?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Hey guys, I wondered how much of the mesh has to be custom.

Example: If I use the orc from the campaign screens as base mesh for my idea,
would it be better/worse or different than making a 100% scratch mesh and my own texture ?
The only "originality" requirements involve the use of custom textures. Otherwise, since geomerges are allowed (i.e. stitching together pieces of existing Blizzard models) & in-game textures (i.e. stitching together parts of existing Blizzard textures), it doesn't matter how much of the mesh is "custom".

IIRC

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Slight update. I'm super busy so my time is limited. Struggeling with the head though.
I like it, especially that twin-flanged coat thingie (like an opposite version of the Paladin's garb).

You should just remake the head from your *other* Orc Pirate guy; he was, like, perfect. Short of that, give this guy a huge, frizzy unkempt beard ("Blackbeard" style, even, with little smoking brands rolled in the tips!)

A wild possible contestant appears! xD

A question for you, would the combined versions of these two units from Diablo II be classified as a squad, or should I look to other games for designs?

Siege_Beast_%28Diablo_II%29.gif
Demon_Imp_%28Diablo_II%29.gif
While it's an awesome combination, it certainly feels more as a cavalry or war beast than squad. (If I remember well, the small guy mounts the beast? If both are on foot in most anims, the squad feeling is much more present)

You've done squads before - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/mon-gunner-team-261837/ and http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/sir-gunner-team-260894/ . And they're nice, I must say :)
Maybe read the contest guidelines again, there's much that can be done inside the theme boundary, and not at its limits.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Not really; more of a dude & his 'beast of burden' (though it does have a lot of spunk & character, so while it's a stretch it isn't a crazy one). Think more like Mortar Team or Sappers; 2-3+ individual 'units' running around next to each other.

@HappyCockroach, while I love the picture you chose, you should consider changing it; I think it's skewing a lot of people's concepts for this Contest.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hm, I think I drop my previous idea. I might alter the alchemist hero instead or think
about something new. Dunno, I am not a friend of the theme, it is so much animating
and I strongly dislike wc3 animating, I always mess it up..

@JH, being objective: no it doesn't. I'll say it again: there's so many things that can be done inside the theme boundaries. There's no need to stretch it the farthest you can. If you read the guidelines and use your common sense, you'll probably do a proper squad.

Start from this: a group of SEPARATE units, which belong to the same model, and may perform animations together. It really isn't that hard.

@HappyCockroach, while I love the picture you chose, you should consider changing it; I think it's skewing a lot of people's concepts for this Contest.
I'll do change it, soon.

hmm.. you guys sure haven't done that much .u.

extension anyone?
Deadline is 28th of May. There's more than 1 whole month.

Btw, I promise you my next post is a WIP xD

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
@JH, being objective: no it doesn't. I'll say it again: there's so many things that can be done inside the theme boundaries. There's no need to stretch it the farthest you can. If you read the guidelines and use your common sense, you'll probably do a proper squad.

Start from this: a group of SEPARATE units, which belong to the same model, and may perform animations together. It really isn't that hard.

I'll do change it, soon.

Deadline is 28th of May. There's more than 1 whole month.

Btw, I promise you my next post is a WIP xD
Oh yeah? What if I make you respond to me!? :p

Hm, I think I drop my previous idea. I might alter the alchemist hero instead or think
about something new. Dunno, I am not a friend of the theme, it is so much animating
and I strongly dislike wc3 animating, I always mess it up..
Eh, in a way this is more of an animating contest than purely a modeling contest (in the sense that, like the Mortar Team/Sapper Squad, the models themselves won't (can't) be all that detailed; it's the animation coordination that drives the entry). But I have faith in you. : )

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hm, I see, Kyrbi0, thanks :)
Mabye I find something I do would like to model, someting I can work on with greater passion,
though as HerrDave already said, it is hard to think of unique squads.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Hm, I see, Kyrbi0, thanks :)
Mabye I find something I do would like to model, someting I can work on with greater passion,
though as HerrDave already said, it is hard to think of unique squads.
Well, hopefully it's not that hard :p...
...If anyone is still groping about for ideas, I posted a few on the submission thread for starters... And there's probably dozens more if you poke me a bit. ; ) ...

(sometimes I wonder if people read my posts :<...)

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Oho, interesting ideas you have there. Dunno, are these really squads ?
They sound more like hero and sidekick to me, overall.

I have an idea, but it is somewhat crazy, not warcraft-ish at all.
I will see whether there is a good in-game texture for it,
if so, then I post a new WIP.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Oho, interesting ideas you have there. Dunno, are these really squads ?
They sound more like hero and sidekick to me, overall.
The first few definitely are; the last bunch (all the linked ones) are me being 60% silly & are indeed mostly "hero/sidekick".

But still, 40% serious; besides, what is a "hero/sidekick" team but a modified, smaller "squad"? Moreover, you can take those kind of combos (say, the bear & bird) and nerf the hero/buff the sidekick until you have two "equal" partners (and/or make up a 3rd buddy to make a trio, more "squad-ish"), perhaps like this duo. (Banjo-Tooie did this, in fact).

T'aint no thang. Seriously, there are plenty of ideas; just ask : ).

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Thanks, I take a close look on them again, maybe I find something for me :)

Level 26
Hm. Just read the description in depth. Does this mean that if I were to make say, a motorcycle with a sidecar, with a mounted machine gun. Then that would not be a squad?

It'll still be one driver and one gunner. If that doesn't count, then I guess my submissions will be invalid.
WIPs, because I haven't posted any. I keep adding onto the pastebin. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=zb517d

Technically speaking, it would be a scouting squad.

Hm. Just read the description in depth. Does this mean that if I were to make say, a motorcycle with a sidecar, with a mounted machine gun. Then that would not be a squad?
Of course not, that would be a vehicle, with 2 people riding it, or whatever. Does it feel like a squad to you? Squads are independent elements that are separate one from another by nature. Walk around separatedly, OR, perform attacks separatedly, or something. If you make 2 vehicles going side by side, and putting themselves together at some animation, alright, that obviously counts as a squad. If not, that obviously doesn't count. I grow tired of explaining that a million times as if it was a hard thing to understand.

Just broke my promise of bringing a WIP ._.

Status
Not open for further replies.