• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-mapping Contest #10 - Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.
You join just by showing work in progress sometime before you post your final map before the deadline. You don't need to import anything if you don't need or want to. In fact, you might get some extra praise if you can pull off a good map with few or no imports at all (especially if it's multiplayer to save on file space). But imports are allowed as long as they aren't rips from non-Blizzard games.

No imports? Challenge accepted.

Ugh, working on the terrain generator sucks! It works very well to create a thick, random forest with varied hills, mountains, and valleys. It'll even layer the trees and terrain tiles based on height. It works well with water too. The problem is that this is not what I want from it anymore lol. The new generator should create a cluster based forest atop their own minor hills. There is a central lake with rivers expanding from it. It should provide an uncluttered environment that isn't totally open either. What do y'all think?

Anyway, does Escape and Survival is the same genre? Because my survival map is sorta of survive till time thingy.
Zeatherann, seems nice, though I'm not pretty good for terrain stuffs.

EDIT : WIP

225806-albums6264-picture93210.jpg

Last edited:
May I be of assistance in judging this contest? I learnt a bit from my past experience and really want to do it again. Besides I wasn't the one holding up the last contest... =P

I wanted to participate in this however I feel that I will grow bored quite fast and won't be able to complete a good enough entry to have my name be put onto it. Only have one idea and well it is kind of lame and was better suited to the previous contest.

I decided to join the contest instead so I am dropping out as a potential judger.

Last edited:
@Dat-C3, I must admit your reviews are pretty great on the last contest, I'm sure you can try this one as well.

@unkn0wnD3stroy3r, welcome to the contest! I'm interested to see what will you make.

@ruleoffireon99, Nice map you're planning, maybe I should get more tense with my map as well.

Also, I'll try to keep my map as survivalist as possible.

Level 21
Anyway, does Escape and Survival is the same genre?
Yeah, escape is usually about surviving. Survival seems like such a generic theme in a game all about war and combat now that I'm thinking about it (Warcraft) :prazz:
My entry will be about spooky survival map called "Five Nights at Bear's" which is a singleplayer map you need to survive from any golems and robots.
That is a very unique concept to incorporate into Warcraft. If you're trying to make it very similar to Five Nights at Freddy's, maybe you should freeze the enemies when they're being viewed to give the wards more of a purpose like the cameras are in FNaF (except for the Pirate Cove fox). Definitely looking forward to playing that :pwink:

Level 14
That is a very unique concept to incorporate into Warcraft. If you're trying to make it very similar to Five Nights at Freddy's, maybe you should freeze the enemies when they're being viewed to give the wards more of a purpose like the cameras are in FNaF (except for the Pirate Cove fox). Definitely looking forward to playing that :pwink:

Thanks Tickles! I do my best in this one! :thumbs_up:

Level 3
Working...

I would like to join, even though, it's a bit late haha. I am currently working on a Gladiator Survival map. Includes team-play and fighting.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_010315_090852_02.png
    WC3ScrnShot_010315_090852_02.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 118
  • WC3ScrnShot_010415_071216_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_010415_071216_01.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Level 25

Seems to be turning more and more into Night of the Dead, not sure if that's a good thing.

Since the last version:
  • Various aesthetic changes - modern (metal/concrete) floors, items, etc.
  • Reworked shooting system. Previously I detected attacks, now it's an ability, which can also be activated by right clicking enemies.
  • Enemy spawning system. Spawn rate based on number of players, increases over time, different zombie types spawn over time.
  • Door system
  • Supply drop system - you can call in supplies (new weapons, ammo, equipment) which will be dropped outside.

To do:
  • More content - guns, enemies, equipment
  • Objectives/storyline
  • Custom fog of war system. Destructible LOS blockers have a tendency to sometimes let you see through them, and other times to block sight when they shouldn't.

Level 25
Those are some cool systems.

Stronger zombie creeps needed :)

Thanks! I've added some bosses :)

The deadline is approaching, so here's a preliminary entry.

My map just needs a bit more polish and bug-hunting, but in terms of content and gameplay I'm more or less done.

Please, have a play and let me know what you think.

Zombie Survival Z: Tribute
(working name that might be changed... it's evolved so far beyond just being a remake)
Genre: Defense/Survival
Players: 1-8 (Co-op)
After a few short objectives, your only goal is to survive until evac arrives. Destroy all the zombies, evade them for as long as possible or build up a strong point - you can choose your play style.

Attachments

• ZombieSurvivalZTribute035b.w3x
    4.7 MB · Views: 82
Level 21
Well, you won't win if you die too much, so it is kinda survival. Except the terrain and some triggers, the map is completely mine.
The survival genre itself is very general and can include a lot of different types of game types, but the one thing they all have in common is that death results in defeat. Someone could die infinitely in an AoS, and their team still has a chance to win. Unless you have a slim amount of lives you use up before you're defeated, then an AoS is not a survival game. It can be considered a defense game if anything else.

Also, you need to post a work in progress (screenshot, video or alpha/beta map) before posting posting a final entry to show how much you worked on it and that it is your work.
Zombie Survival Z: Tribute
Pretty nice zombie map with some interesting features :pwink: Loving that right-click attack style and the fully destructible walls. I'm definitely looking forward to playing the final version. But yeah, a new name is a very good idea.
Wait, the deadline is the 15th?! I thought it was the 6th for some reason. Good thing because I got an excellent idea the other day, so I'll see how far I can put together a full map.
That's going to be cutting it close :prazz: Good luck!

Level 21
Get your gecko groove on, and let your lizard loose.

I'm working on giving enemies new attacks/abilities to make them more interesting and difficult, but this is most of what I intended to have in my final version.

Attachments

• Lizard Gaiden v0.9.w3x
    5.9 MB · Views: 117
Level 25
Loving the grayscale colour scheme, really lets the red blood stand out.

Some things:
  • The ability hotkeys were very hard to see, the text colour has no contrast with the background.
  • The quest/menu buttons' regular appearance breaks the theme, but that's probably on your to-do list already.
  • I had trouble telling friend from foe. I realise you can't use green/red for friend/foe, but perhaps you should make the enemies more black, or remove allies entirely.
  • I wasn't sure which was my health bar. You should label them.
  • To make the game less clicky/spammy (for RSI sufferers such as myself) and keeping in mind the combo system, perhaps you could add the following:
    • Any right click sets your target attack angle. If you don't attack you'll still move there, but the location is saved for your next attack.
    • Casting the attack ability while its buff is already active causes the attack to immediately launch toward the location saved above.
    • In practice, you would 1. right click target, 2. press D, 3. press D, and your attack will launch.

EDIT: It's time for a tale of my journey with fog of war in warcraft.
My map has this annoying thing that you can sometimes see through walls, and other times you cannot see zombies in the same room as you.

The first thing I did was look at unit and destructible data. Occlusion height, fog size, elevation sample points, all that stuff. In a test map I placed some trees, a unit and an item behind the trees, tested it and saw I was unable to see through the trees, as it should be. I concluded that it must be correct and I just need to replicate the object data. But boy was I wrong.

I then placed some trees in the map proper to test... and it worked properly. Back to testing with my trigger-placed walls and no luck... so surely it must be that trees placed by triggers are the problem?
And wrong again. After placing several lines of trees on a test map, I realised that it's due to the way warcraft handles fog of war. Fog of war "cells" are different sizes to terrain cells. So even if I found the correct way to place them, it would only work properly for a few walls.

I've just finished making a system that replaces regular vision: while you are in a room, that whole room (and connected doors) is visible to you. This required me to fix my room generator to not overlap rooms. And now that I'm done and testing it... I realise that I completely forgot about the original issue: fog cells have a different size, so they won't work with my room and wall system.

And during this entire issue, I also tried several ways of making my own fog of war system. It was never going to work due to how fog of war cells are displayed, but I had to drop it because it was too computationally intensive. It would have been nice if it worked, I was also planning a feature similar to Dat-C3's fog system that only reveals an area in front of the player.

After several hours fighting with this, it makes me bleak that I might have to give up and just reveal the whole map.
/rant

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.