• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #5 - Innovation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
well i've just got to finish a couple of things on my race, only reason i haven't is because i've put it off, but will be doing that well before the due date (basically just the hero and some caster abilities to finish those off), dio and ghostthruster have submitted, and as far as i know that's all we've actually got so far (if i'm wrong let me know)

Level 7
only one competitor? so im posting my entry, ill be second! yay! :goblin_good_job::ogre_hurrhurr::ogre_haosis:

NERUBIAN RACE BY AHIMTAR!
-MELEE DEFENSE TOWERS (Tentacles!)
-2 BUILDINGS ON START (Main hall, and Sacred Obelisk to evolve your units)
-EVOLVING UNITS, WORKERS AND TOWERS (to more powerful ones with more spells, instead of normal upgrades)
-NICE USE OF INGAME MODELS (also a lot of imported ones)
-4 ORIGINAL HEROES ( str/ str/ int/ agi )
-TACTICAL BUILD ORDER (focus on siege or flying instead, more powerful melee or casters...)
-OTHER FUNNY THINGS !!!

the map " (6)SwampOfSorrows_Ahi_Nerub_Testing.w3x" is the version with all of the units at start and tomes of powers, so you can try them without wasting too much time building them and so ;)
also, some icons used in the first screenshot were changed, that's why i uploaded a bunch of newer photos.

none of the imports used were made by me, all are from hiveworkshop. also, i couldnt remove the bug with building-clicking...

Attachments

• Nerubian_race_by_Ahimtar.jpg
    Nerubian_race_by_Ahimtar.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 478
  • (6)SwampOfSorrows.w3x
    1.6 MB · Views: 134
  • ner4.png
    ner4.png
    2 MB · Views: 183
  • ner3.png
    ner3.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 348
  • (6)SwampOfSorrows_Ahi_Nerub_Testing.w3x
    1.6 MB · Views: 128
  • ner9.png
    ner9.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 161
  • ner8.png
    ner8.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 195
  • ner7.png
    ner7.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 207
  • ner13.png
    ner13.png
    2 MB · Views: 146
  • ner14.png
    ner14.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 133
  • ner15.png
    ner15.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 161
  • ner11.png
    ner11.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 151
  • ner1.png
    ner1.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Level 6
I posted mine a few pages ago, I cant continue it due to the lack of free time. It doesn't have a formal presentation, but will it be counted as an entry?

Edit:decided to fix some bugs first. Will probably upload by the end the week.

@Ahimtar, your map bugs, it crashes when i click the main buildings, recheck your triggers because this is an unplayable entry.

Last edited:
Level 35
words cannot express how happy i am to finally be done

okay, so you can play as Demons and Draenei (Draenei are cool, and they were already in the system, so why not)

Important notes for Demons:

- Build Power Generators next to your buildings in order to power them. Most buildings will just use power for shields, so it serves as a regenerator in that sense, but it is essential for producing units out of the Demon Gate. Yes I was going to include extra abilities to divert the power, but I didn't like them enough (might include the one for the base building if I change my mind before the due date).

- You can create Horrors out of your Slaves by putting them in the Genetic Laboratory. Horrors are suicide units, like the Goblin Sapper, but they won't deal extra damage for using their Detonation ability like the Sapper. Additionally they deal much less damage because they are much cheaper (still deal a good amount of damage if you're not careful).

- Birthing effects aren't really implemented because the triggers I am aware of are unsatisfactory

The rest you can find out for yourself. Attached is the map itself and a fanart from Dionesiist of mah Hellion. WIPs are throughout the thread, and I cannot find where I saved them. If required I will go and hunt them down.

EDIT: Knight26 is a saint, got all my WIPs, attached them

UPDATE: Fixed some issues, more detailed here

Attachments

• HEELLIIOONN.jpg
    HEELLIIOONN.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 347
  • Wip_3.jpg
    Wip_3.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 436
  • Wip_2.jpg
    Wip_2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 412
  • Wip_1.jpg
    Wip_1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 485
  • (6)SwampOfSorrows_Final.w3x
    1.5 MB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Level 35
Son, I'm dissapointed (that you didn't use my awesome model). :ogre_rage:

Nah, awesome race, will test it more exactly later.

AH YES that model! I would have used it had I been bothered to make more than one hero, but chriiiiiist heroes are an annoyance to me ^^

anyway, do have fun with the race folks, hopefully it's fun to play as (end of the day i only know it's fun for me before you folks check it out ^^)

Level 6
170273-albums3355-picture51579.jpg

After a long while of brainstorming and marvelous executing of concepts, I gladly present to you bees of the Hiveworkshop the mighty Archevin Kingdom:

Subjects of this kingdom are experienced warmongers and engineers. The dark arts are also one of their numerous knowledge. Combining these two skills, they created engines such as the sneaky shadowwings and the mighty trebuchets, both powered by shadow magic.

Outlanders of the highest peaks of Ireland also joined themselves to the quest of domination engendered by the high king. Mystics and Berserkers show experience in invoking the power of the old gods to aid them in battle, while gallowglasses combine the protection of their heavy armor and the thunder in their mighty hammers.

All of this regrouped in an army of heavy armored warders, highly trained longbowmen and quick Hobelars. Overall, I present to you the ultimate combination of troops in order to annihilate your enemies!

May your reign last long, Milord.

Note: it is vital to build a spire from your citadel as soon as the game starts.

Basics
I: Build a spire from your citadel in order to be able to produce heroes.
II: Send your serfs to gather gold.
III:build a Cottage and a Recruitment Center. Then send serfs to lumber
IV:Summon your hero from the Spire, I recommend the Morrigan Devotee as a first hero.
V: Start making Warders,your basic melee unit that serves as a tank, making 6 of them progressively would be an optimal choice, due to their Yeomanry ability that increases their armor depending on surrounding Warders(cap of 6 armor).
VI: Build a forge to allow yourself to recruit Welsh longbowmen.
Welsh Longbowmen are designed to eliminate casters due to their long range, and they can ensnare air units with their passive ability.

You are now ready to expand your base and Demand Reinforcements in order to build new units and Structures.

Advanced
Three units will spawn from your citadel as soon as the upgrade is finished:

The first one is the Hobelar, a quick rider designed to thrust enemy lines with its rush ability and eliminate all ranged units with its flesh tearing steel, it can be used to bring down heavy air units if ensnared by the Welsh longbowmen.

The second is the Black Witch, an offensive spellcaster, that casts its autocast spell "Release Shadow" on enemy units to slow them and releases their shadow upon their death as an allied unit. As soon as this negative buff has been cast on a handful of enemy vulnerable units, you should use the "Rising Darkness" spell to prevent enemy spellcasters from casting spells or make offensive units miss on attacks. As soon as its mana is over, you should transform the unit into an Avalon Guardian, an otherworldly spirit with degenerative health points, it is specialized against summoned units.

Last but not least, the siege engineer is your main siege unit. It can build vulnerable but deadly Field towers that have a chance to ensnare air units upon hit. It can also construct Trebuchets, immobile Siege Machines which fire rocks molten by dark magic at extremely long range. An ideal Strategy would be to position them under enemy bases and then provide them vision of the base with Shadowwings.

Shadowwings are stealth light air units that can be used in order to scout and detect invisible units. They can also be used to harass enemy workers with their Burning Cowardice ability, that causes affected workers to flee thus preventing them from working.

Demolition horses are extremely mobile but fragile suicide units. They can be used to enter to enemy base from behind while you distract their forces and thus cause havoc in their base.

170273-albums3355-picture51678.jpg

170273-albums3355-picture51677.jpg

170273-albums3355-picture51676.jpg

170273-albums3355-picture51675.jpg

Additionally, Mystics are essential Spellcasters that can first dispel buffs in a chain. When upgraded they would be able to decrease enemy armor and life regeneration with the autocast "Decrepit Strength" ability. Finally they are able to call down a sacred rain from Annwyn, The mythological Irish Heaven.

When Demanding Outlandish mercenaries from your citadel, you become able to produce a new Structure, the Irish Stronghold. From this structure, you may build The Irish Berserker and the Gallowglass, along with their respective upgrades.These two units, along with a Mystic will spawn next to your citadel.

The Irish Berserker is a spirit infused warrior riding on the back of its proud flying lion. Experimented in the art of invoking thunder, every one of the hammer it launches invokes the rage of Tuireann, The God of Thunder, the unit finally explodes if killed by a thunder hammer. This can be combined with the Black Witch's spell in order to cause an optimal amount of damage to the enemy.

The Gallowglass is a proud warrior of the highlands, it is first equipped with a fine leather jacket, but can be upgraded with premium quality steel. Its devastating hammer strikes spread fear into the enemy warrior's heart. It is a necessary unit in the end game.

Attachments

• (6)AshbringerArchevin.w3x
    4.6 MB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Level 35
Updated my entry once again

@Ashbringer: Played your race, was pretty cool although I am questioning the integrity of a free Alter. Then again there's always the plus side of having a more expensive barracks... i guess... doesn't really balance it out in my eyes

but what happens when you lose the Spire? because i'm too bamf i did not lose my spire so did not find out. do you get mana back to produce another free spire?

Level 6
I agree with the fact that a free altar is questionnable. However it was a last minute mesure for players not to build heroes from the citadel(which wouldnt allow it to build serfs at the same time.
In fact, you do not get your mana back if it is destroyed, i couldnt create one due to my personal lack of time(not that contest time wasnt enough). Anyways, glad you enjoyed playing the race!
I played your race too, And i think you gave the genetic stuff too much importance compared to other classical demonic themes such as fire. The unit building is quite good although it could cause unbalance. Otherwise it was quite fun and i played it for an hour

Level 35
well i didn't want to do any of the generic demon crap like fire and brimstone and all that, but i agree that there was a REALLY big implementation of genetic enhancements, which is the kind of theme i wanted (science fiction primarily, implementing plasma and biological transformation, that sort of thing), but the amount of times i used the word 'genetic' makes me lol a little bit xD

i agree that there could be imbalance in the Demon Gate being the only unit production building, but i believe it also balances out a little bit in that it needs power to function.

let's say you're playing against someone playing as the Demons, you'd have the opportunity to take out their Power Generators on more than one occasion, which would disable production.

however, on the other hand, Mobile Generators can increase production capabilities quite heavily (they transfer 5 mana per second, while the Power Generators output 3 mana per second, which, put together, is 8 mana per second [obviously], more than doubling production time).

it could possibly do with some tweaking, of course, but i believe the pros and cons outway each other for now ^^

UPDATE: Fixed some MORE issues, and took note that Ahimtar's race is not playable as the map tends to crash ingame for some reason

Last edited:
Level 35
i think we have 4 atm, 5 counting ghostthruster's

who i think we have:
- Dionesiist
- Ahimtar (hmmmmm does this one count his race crashes my warcraft)
- ashbringer753 (shezam)
- GhostThruster (if indeed that was his final submition)
- Myself (Wazzz) (me)

and i believe Kam and 67Chrome were close to completion, if there already

Level 35
is the judging live in real life or only here n the THW website?
because im almost always a judge in my town

what the hell are you smoking?

Here's my map it took me lot of time to do i'm always improving it and adding more stuff:
removed for safety
it has 22 races
---------------------------------------------
edit nvm i saw that you need to use another map and all .

A) you submitted this in July
B) the rules are clear

for those reasons alone i'm going to hazard a guess at this being an 'advertisement'.

to put it nicely, piss off with your advertising

Last edited:
Level 35
you have 4 days. if you make a fully functional race in that amount of time, it will be a miracle, let alone 4 races.

where do we even FIND these people who see 'techtree contest' and suddenly decide 'I'LL MAKE MORE THAN ONE! 22 DIFFERENT RACES! THEY'RE ALL GENERIC', completely ignoring the 'innovation' theme.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Huh, maybe I should go no-life and finish the race I started working on back in, like.. August.. or maybe not.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Minor concern here, Ahimtar's entry crashes the game when you select the Main Statue. No particular error code or anything, so it doesn't appear to be any software or hardware failure. By appearance I'd say it's a corruption of sorts; selecting the workers and the upgrade tower didn't similarly affect the game at all.

Might be reported already, but seeing as the first page still lists his entry as a submission...

I just thought I'd mention it before the deadline.

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
Judge added, GhostThruster, as he passed my mini-test "Proof of Judging Capabilities" :]
How your "test" look like? :D

>>
Show me your real-life photo
(5 sec later) ..eh you're ugly.. fail
:S ?

Guys btw, it's better just to create workers/main base istead of using this ugly "Altered Melee Starting AI Scripts". It sucks and RAM used is not worth that completely. Anyways, your choice.

@Ahimtar your GUI code script.. hurts ;/ Ton of leaks, lot of trash code, poor formula usage, non-MUI, non-MPI, not bugfree, not lagless, basically 1/10.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Figured I'd post a WIP before I go to bed!

I've pretty much fleshed out the techtree, so what remains is implementing it all, finding/making fitting resources for elements that currently lack those and balancing (naturally).

WIP1.png

* All but three models in this picture are subject to change. I'm definitely keeping Dio's Astherotian Disciple with my skin, Sellenisko's Inquisitor Malendis and Ampharos_222's Razorarm Automaton. I'm tempted to do some skin changes to Dio's Vampire Tracker. Will need to tweak the colours with the object editor on Pyramidhe@d's Nether Mage and Ampharos_222's Night Flyer to fit in. Might look for a heavier looking replacement for Ampharos_222's Dullahan. I have no idea what to think of judash137's Crimson Butterfly. I don't want to use Frankster's Bulwark/Bastion/Citadel simply because so many are using it, but it is awesome, so I'll keep it unless I find something more fitting. Ampharos_222's Assailant Spire is certainly not fitting together with that Citadel, though.

Luckily, the techtree itself has greater importance than the resources used to represent it! I'll attach my WIP "Design Document" and map as it stands right now. I have not really started making the units in the object editor (only on paper), I've just put dummy units in to have an idea of what I'm working towards. I'm not liking how my current set-up is resembling the normal WC3 races too much, though.

Attachments

• (6)SwampOfSorrows-TechtreeContest-wip3.w3x
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • Techtree Contest #5 - Innovation, Design Document.txt
    13.7 KB · Views: 79
Status
Not open for further replies.