• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept-Art Contest #4 - EVOLUTION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Finally completed the first stage of my creature...

Looks bland and unoriginal now, but he will evolve into something better!
Any feedback?

Attachments

• stage1.png
    stage1.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 126
Well the whole ball point pen thing may be getting old but:

Ball Point Pen - Noun - 1: A writing utensil filled with any sort of ink which is bleed onto the paper or parchment being used when writing by rotating the small ball in the tip on the intended paper 2: An object that becomes very frustrating to use and may/will make the user look like a complete idiot randomly flailing the object around desperate to get the final drops of ink out of it so as that person does not have to pay 1$ (somewhere around .5 euro's) for another pack of 10.

The main problem with using Spore is that your just piecing your creation together from pre-made parts so in essence its not really yours. You can do anything that you do directly (draw it, draw it on the comp, sculpt it, model it, animate it, etc.) as long as YOUR doing the work. I don't anyone sees a problem with you getting your initial concept from something you made in spore as long as you make it your own but using a spore made file doesn't fit the spirit of the competition. It's not a test of your drawing skills, more so your creativity.

Level 11
Hey i got few question here,

1.) i today only saw the contest, may i join from now?

2.) is that only drawing contest? or need to make 3D model and animated it?

3.) Must color the picture?? can i only draw in white and black format?

Okay guys, I finally finished Exams and I have started on my concepts.
My 'Evolution' is a virus that spreads from a primitive animal and then grows and infects higher animals.
These images are like concepts for the concept art therefore they're drawn crappy and are small

Virus Chain
Chain.jpg
Infected Rat
Concept baby.jpg
Infected dog
Infected dog.jpg
And a human
Concept.jpg

The virus gets some characteristics from whatever the previous host was, hence the weird teeth on the dog and human.
I'm try to get some more done today & tomorrow

Hey i got few question here,

1.) i today only saw the contest, may i join from now?
Yes lol

2.) is that only drawing contest? or need to make 3D model and animated it?
Read the first post -- this contest is not just limited to drawing even though that's what everyone is pretty much doing.

3.) Must color the picture?? can i only draw in white and black format?
Nope, black and white is fine!

Level 18
An object that becomes very frustrating to use and may/will make the user look like a complete idiot randomly flailing the object around desperate to get the final drops of ink out of it so as that person does not have to pay 1$ (somewhere around .5 euro's) for another pack of 10.

Some days ago I bought a pack of 100 pens for just 1€, the exactly same pens like pyritie showed us in the picture ;) And they are very handy and good in writing! I just like them :p

Trying to finish the last Evolution step today, and starting to coloring the rest of them, just for training ;)

Level 2
Some days ago I bought a pack of 100 pens for just 1€, the exactly same pens like pyritie showed us in the picture ;) And they are very handy and good in writing! I just like them :p

Trying to finish the last Evolution step today, and starting to coloring the rest of them, just for training ;)

Hell yes, those pens are effin' awesome! Kicks gel pens off the podium anyday!
They don't smudge, have a pleasant feel when writing, and about a 100 times cheaper, probably a 1000 times cheaper when compared to the more branded pens.

Icoria

I

Icoria

Should I redraw this then color it? Or just color it?

Attachments

• CCF11302009_00000.jpg
    CCF11302009_00000.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 94

ok some advice:

1: Draw everything on a horizontal plane, unless you want us to turn our monitors onto their side
2: Pen outline = goodness
3: Perhapes get photoshop or gimp or some manipulation program to allow you to type the names of the creatures since its very hard to read your hand writing.
4: Contest rules are that you have 1 creature and 2 additional evolutions, you have 3 evolutions (we've had this same argument on pretty much every page of this thread)
5: Maybe find some way to color your creations other then crayon. Crayon is both messy and makes shading near impossible - colored pencils are nice, if your good at it you could color and shade it in paint.

-lets chalk that first one up as a WiP.

Icoria, you need to outline your picture darker or turn up the contrast (I know a scanner sometimes mutilates your depth when scanning but altering the pictures contrast can fix that). I can't see it good enough to tell you whether you should redraw or color - not your fault its the scanners I would say.

Level 15

look, i'll be constructive here, but i hope you are not serious, this is even hard to understand what it is, you even colored out of the lines, i suggest reading something on sketching and to use more detail, most of the guys here know i'm not the one to be an asshole to people, it is what it is, but what do i know, i suck

btw i already made a first concept, but il scan it tomorrow, dont expect anything great

Level 9
Ok, ill admit it, using spore was mostly a jokes on you type of question.

On a more serious note conceptual concepts of 4 subjects not all of them serious.
Eh, coming up with anything remotely original is proving hard, too many spiders and hands floating around in my mind currently but o well, still got time.

Page 1

1. Box -> Windows Vista -> Fail [lol]

2. Junk yard welder -> Adds more parts -> Has the ability recreate itself.
Are mechanical beings even allowed?

Page 2

3. ???? -> Buff cat w/ rocket strapped to its back? -> ???? [Too unoriginal]

4. Some sort of arcanid type of being

Other: Claw designs, torso shapes, aliens-like TRIPLE mouth :zip:

Attachments

• Evolution concepts 1.png
    Evolution concepts 1.png
    327 KB · Views: 92
  • Evolution concepts 2.png
    Evolution concepts 2.png
    637.7 KB · Views: 98
Level 9
ummm, im not shure i understand what is in the bottom right of the second picture??

Level 9
Tell me you don't see a guy with boobs next to a faceless women with equally large boobs under the rocket pig.

yeah.... what does chipotle have to do with the rocket cats tail?

Lol one of my friends got a hold of my paper actually :grin:

Chipotle has to do with the cats tail because it is being Burned by the exaust, creating a meat suitable for chipotle.

Lol Supersonic Swine Flu = the pig.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that you should use this:
["img"](insertURLhere)["/img"] (without the inverted comma's)
That's not attaching, that's just linking
Sounds fun! Going to make one for this! Can i join?

PS: Can somebody tell me on how to add pictures as an attachment? (n00b problem)
Go down to the "quick reply" box and hit "Go advanced". Scroll down a bit until you see the "Manage attachments" button. Click it. The rest should be pretty straightforward to figure out.

Level 35
Balls? WTF? xD Ever seen a chicken before? :p They kind of have such things around their legs. Look -

But they are not completely round as yours are.. I get the idea behind them.. but it looks like a set of balls... sorry :hohum: Maybe if you stretched them slightly from the body to the feet so it would be thickest near the body just like a real chick or something:con:

Level 4
Done it! İts not bas as my first i done the first and last evolution just need one.Its a fish-snake-human creature.Add it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.