• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Spells & Systems Mini-Contest #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
@Eccho
I don't get it. What's the synergy?

:p It's only the first spell.

is it ward plus trap? like summoning a ward and further improving it via some other spell adding those maces or clubs or whatever circulating around it? and normally they only fly towards some area?

plz tell us more ^^

n more comments and suggestions on mine ^^

comments on yours will come, soon, I hope :)
My spell lacks a tooltip at the moment, but the basics of it:
Summons a crusher ward with a weapon attached to a chain, spinning around the ward damaging enemies. In the same time, the weapon and the chain is accellerating faster and faster until it reaches a specific speed, which will break the chain and let the weapon fly away.
The damage increases with higher speed.
Max speed and damage increases per level.

Interesting WIP Eccho , cant wait to see your finished Spell(s)

My first Spell is quite finished now , i just thinking of maybe reworking the seconds Spell´s idea... ill see
But i like the outcome of my first one :)

And Ill look on that soon:p

man, Eccho's spell looks so advanced!

The coding became really complex, yes >.>

Level 23
Interesting WIP Eccho , cant wait to see your finished Spell(s)

My first Spell is quite finished now , i just thinking of maybe reworking the seconds Spell´s idea... ill see
But i like the outcome of my first one :)

Wow, that looks amazing =)

I dont like this part though
set g = GetUnitsInRangeOfLocMatching(HealthStealRange,l,null)

why?
1) You already assigned a "CreateGroup()" to the group variable, thus, by using GetUnitsInRange... will return a new group, overwrite the old one which is then leaking.
2) Null params leak. Avoid it by using a boolexpr returning true instead.
3) It's a bj:p
4) Why not use the native instead?
call GroupEnumUnitsInRangeOfLoc(g, l, HealthStealRange, Filter(function AntiLeak_null_or_something))

5) I suggest not using the loc native. X and Y coordinates pwn :)
6) -"- -"- using a global group instead. This is faster and does not need to be created/destroyed, just enumerated.

@ Palaslayer
Cool spells! Seems to be very well coded even though I know less Gui these days:p
The floating text is nice too... But the synergy was maybe alittle boring ._.

Level 10
@Palaslayer
Nice Spell, tooltip and effect is good but there's something need to fix:
1. When you use deep crush, you can make enemy "throwed" out of the map.
2. When you use deep crush, corpse is also throwed.

well, that's the only bug i can find. Overall, nice.

@-BerZeKeR-
Nice spell. but there's something i don't like:
1. When you cast Ice Burst, then Frost Grip, it won't combined.
2. When i cast Ice Burst, It randomly cast between nova or crystallize, maybe you can make it can target unit and point (Use Channel) and check if casted on point or on unit.
If casted on Point: Nova
If casted on Unit: Crystallize

Well, something like that. BTW, nice effect.

@-JonNny
I like the first spell, nice work! but there is a narrow region that not affected by that. Well, just small.

Level 15
Wow, that looks amazing =)

I dont like this part though
set g = GetUnitsInRangeOfLocMatching(HealthStealRange,l,null)
Whops o_O i also don know why i used it there
but i didnt know that it leaks
Changing it anway , thanks

I like the first spell, nice work! but there is a narrow region that not affected by that. Well, just small.

The Spell itself is finished , ill just add some modifications and documentation
Of course it can happen that a unit is not hit by a missile , just increase the Range or increase the number of missile if you want

Level 17
1.i hate arrogant jassers...
2.vjass should not be rated better than GUI because if GUI was so damn easy, do it yourself...
3.@Squiggy hell the first two spells look good but the synergy looks:
-not fittin
-lagging
-overpowered
.lol
better get another synergy effect idea...
4.ah, paladon, defend the GUIers!

Its unfair if vJassers get minuspoints for having a small leak in the code. If you convert GUI to Jass it is full of leaks and such ... I think we should take care of that. And again -. it't not meant as an offend against GUI users, you seem to react thatlike :D
Oh and btw ... I made my spells with GUI earlier, too, everbody has to start somewhere ... after I realized that GUI really sux due to the inefficientcy I started to make them into Jass and then I learned how to use vJass and now I know - I never could have made a better descission before. Evolve yourself too instead of bullish and lazy ;)

Level 8
Yea, and most damage detection systems leak trigger events and thats not a big deal really.

Just fix all leaks that can be fixxed.

Level 12
Its unfair if vJassers get minuspoints for having a small leak in the code. If you convert GUI to Jass it is full of leaks and such

Jassers can fix all thier leaks and inefficiencies. So if they don't that is a sign of slappy work. While with GUI you can't take care of all these things.

Level 13
Here you go again with the debate... Your just saying the same things over and over again but with different sentences... We get it (JASS IS BETTER THAN GUI). If someone already said that JASS is better then don't post another sentence stating the same meaning... Let's just get on with our contest thread... Or you just like to spam to increase your total posts?

Last edited:
Level 13
OOPs sorry about that its a wrong I meant JASS is better than GUI. WAH FATAL ERROR GUI can never be better than JASS. LOL its just like a cover up for it. Anyway lets not think talk about it anymore..xD

You should have told me what I have mistaken rather than just saying fail. It complicates things. hehehe

EOW very active on this thread. Just noticed. I think you replied to all the posts here. xD
btw, did you already submit your spell? or are you still working on it?

Level 23
Meh, I have just some things to add before you should end the wreckaged arguments.

1) Jass is more efficient
2) Gui does the job just as good as in Jass, but slower.
3) It doesn't really matter does it? As long as you succeed with the thing you are doing. I've seen many Gui-maps working without any issues (not mentioning my old own one).
4) When one find something which doesn't work in Gui, one simply just convert it to custom script, uses vJass or Jass and gets the work done.
5) No more periods.
6) Period.

btw, Eccho, I can't wait for your spell. xD
It's going to take some more time. Uh, this is how the second spell looks so far:
Those "trails" behind it is actually missiles, which will be shot in an area. I just didn't do that missile movement yet.

Attachments

• wip2.PNG
    wip2.PNG
    393.3 KB · Views: 101
Level 23
eccho your spell"s" look realy imba, so i will rework mine to have a chance... actually mine are a work of 20min^^+10 doccumentation :)

>.> Mine is eh... around 40 hours or so. I've worked on it like 11/7 the whole weekend and today.

And "current lines of code": 475 (with some spaces)... And I am not done yet :s I havent even started synergizing them yet.

I wont let you down I hope... But my mom is killing me and so on :/

Level 13
The thing is, though, GUI is JASS. It's just a graphical user interface for making JASS easier to code.
Just one last comment from me, since I'm bored of this theme:
The thing is, though, C++ is C... for a long time there were preprocessores that changed the c++ code into c code and then into the exe.
I still like GUI, it's much more fun then Jass :O but I'll stay with vJass xD kk, discussion ended :p

Level 25
Wow, now that looks epic, gotta start making a new entry.
This time i am ditching the ice theme and going for my second idea(which is hard but may just take the first place) so watch out i am making a new spell synergy for the contest^^
Cause of my laziness and school i couldn't get a strong grip on JASS so i am making it in GUI.

@echho
Really nice job, so good screenshots, i can't wait to see how they synergize.

[offtopic]
@xd.Schurke
I am using your spell for figuring out structs,scopes and static methods, is it okay with you? I find your spell really well documented and i think i am going to at the least figure out structs with it.
Also does it use some kind of your MUI system or is it just JASS?
And does it use vJASS or JASS?
+rep if i get my first uploaded JASS spell finished by your spells help.

BTNDarkRitual.gif
Frost GripShackles the Target with ice, making it move and attack slower by 35/45/55%.
Targets also suffers 40/80/120 damage.
Lasts 8/10/12 seconds.

BTNFreezingBreath.gif
Ice BurstTurns the target into the Ice Crystal, dealing 90/180/270 damage,
and prevents it to move for 1/2/3 seconds.

Or

Gathers the ice forces into the Frost Nova, damaging units in
AoE 300 for 70/140/210 damage and slowing their attack and
movement speed by 25% for 4 seconds.

If casted in combination with Frost Grip, results in massive
Field Freezing, that damages and prevents units in AoE 300 to move.

NOTE:

This is the final submission (I hope). So download this, not the previous one!

Level 23
I am done now too I think. At last =) (I guess I should add alot more documentation, but currently, meh._.)

BTNVorpalBlades.png
Crusher Ward

Summons a ward which spins a chain around it; this chain strikes ground enemies for damage depending on the chain's speed. After an amount of seconds, the chain is flung in the direction it is moving.
If a chain struct is hit by a Phoenix Strike it will ignite dealing damage over time and damage upon death.

Level 1 - 750 max speed, up to 75 damage per hit, 5 damage per second over 5 seconds if ignited.
Level 2 - 900 max speed, up to 90 damage per hit, 10 damage per second over 5 seconds if ignited.
Level 3 - 1050 max speed, up to 105 damage per hit, 15 damage per second over 5 seconds if ignited.
Level 4 - 1200 max speed, up to 120 damage per hit, 20 damage per second over 5 seconds if ignited.
BTNSoulBurn.png
Phoenix Strike

Summons a phoenix to bombard an area with flames.
Chain structs will ignite if hit dealing additional damage over time and damage upon death.

Level 1 - Fires 5 missiles dealing 50 damage each.
Level 2 - Fires 6 missiles dealing 75 damage each.
Level 3 - Fires 7 missiles dealing 100 damage each.
Level 4 - Fires 8 missiles dealing 125 damage each.
2jbpf9z.png
2a8lq4l.png
2sakpqh.png
30m1zrc.png

I may also have taken a few shortcuts at the end. I "borrowed" a copy of the poison ability to get my final effect. Let's say I was getting tired:p

Enjoy=)
Hint: Don't look at the code until you tested it. The code is really huge and confusing.

Edit: The spells have been compiled with JassHelper and JNGP v5b
The spells also requires a small library called PMB (Playable Map Bounds) it is included in the map
JASS:
library PMB initializer Init
    globals
        real        mapRectMaxX
        real        mapRectMaxY
        real        mapRectMinX
        real        mapRectMinY
    endglobals

constant function IsInMapRect takes real x, real y returns boolean
        return x < mapRectMaxX and y < mapRectMaxY and x > mapRectMinX and y > mapRectMinY
    endfunction

private function Init takes nothing returns nothing
        set mapRectMaxX = GetRectMaxX(bj_mapInitialPlayableArea)
        set mapRectMaxY = GetRectMaxY(bj_mapInitialPlayableArea)
        set mapRectMinX = GetRectMinX(bj_mapInitialPlayableArea)
        set mapRectMinY = GetRectMinY(bj_mapInitialPlayableArea)
    endfunction
endlibrary

Edit2: The Phoenix Strike appears to have a glitch: When you cast it multiply times in a short interval contantly, some Phoenixes never gets removed and messes up the phoenix script. Since I had a hard time finding where the issue is, and don't have enough time for it, I'll leave it as it is. Good luck to everyone else.

Edit3:
changelog v1.1 said:
*Changed Phoenix Strike's hotkey (thanks Bounty for spotting that out)
*Added cooldown to both spells (seems to not trigger the bug the Phoenix Strike has this way... however, be aware that the bug still exists.)
*Changed tooltips (thanks to PurplePoot for suggestions)
*Changed ability icons (thanks to -Berzeker- and OffGraphic for suggestions)

Attachments

• T&SMC #18 - Eccho - v1.1.w3x
    109.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Level 10
@l0git3c
you can join whenever you want, see this:
Entering
There is no specific required entry method. Just say you wish to enter, or post your spell when it's finished. Whatever works for you.

You can not enter this contest, if you
° Have a negative reputation or
° Won the previous spells & systems contest.​
you can join whenever you want or just submit spell and say joining.

Another GUI contestant! Yeah!

@-BerZeKeR-
Well, the synergy is changed, effect is well done. but, the spell is too powerful in level 4. you can kill the knight only use the synergy one time.

@Eccho
your spell is just superb. Not any single thing that not good. Great job.

Level 6
Ok...done, i just to attach my spells submission in here right?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frost.jpg

Ice
Description
Decrease enemy unit movement speed rate depends on this skill levels for 3 second. If you cast this spell again to targeted unit immediately, it will deals splash damage and decrease nearby enemy units movement speed by 50% for 3 second. If you cast Fire, and immediately cast this spell, it will silence enemy for 5 second.

Fire.jpg

Fire
Description
Instantly deals damage depends on this skill levels. If you cast this spell again to targeted unit immediately, it will stun enemy for 2 second. If you cast Ice, and immediately cast this spell to targeted unit, it will knockback enemy and deals bonus damage.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
sorry if this spell quality is bad, this is my first contest that i join....

Attachments

• S&S Mini Contest #18 l0git3c Submission.w3x
    43.1 KB · Views: 44
Its not so powerful, just a simple calculation 6 x 80 = 480 synergy only damage, + 120 from the Frost Grip, that makes the round 600 damage if both abilities are casted.

So if you turn it around is 3 x 90 = 270, + 120 = 390... synergy effect isn't even twice greater than normals spell, well it is AoE.

Still you just need to change one value, to lower the damage.

@l0git3c, ice + fire? hmmm... in both ways that would just neutralize. Thou i like the silence idea :D

Level 23
Yay! Eccho :D
[...]
Awesomeness :D

There is one thing..the icons, I'm sure you could find better :p

Yep I am still looking._.

@Eccho
your spell is just superb. Not any single thing that not good. Great job.

The vJass script is really a downside, trust me. I asked PurplePoot:p and I knew about it already. If I am not tired enough, consider it to be updated, elseway, it was fun (not really but still).

i think Ecchos got this in the bag in the hat under the rock with the moss on top of it.

Im sorry, what?^^

Still working on it - I'm doing the same kinda thing eccho was - spending practically all my free time coding.

@Eccho
Wow great spell! One small problem was that the crusher ward seemed way more powerful than the phoenix fire, however.

Don't code the whole night though. It was really killing me... Maybe that's the reason for my lousy script.
Both of the spells are configurable, very easy. So if the one spell is more powerful than the other, just change :)

@Berzeker
I like your spell, even though it is very simple, both in triggering and what it does to the victim:p I am just wondering, what does the texttags descibe when it says "value"/"another value", like 90/3, 160/4 ? Wouldnt that just be 30 and 40:p?

@l0git3c
So its your first time entering a contest? Well, the ideas might have been too simple, but a good thing was that you actually get synergy from both spells depending on what order you cast it (even though it wasn't really necessary for your submission). I miss some more effects though, and also, the expiration triggers wasnt a good choice. I mean, the spell demands at the moment 27 triggers to be generated in your map. Try to avoid that.
Also, your spell is not Mui. However, it is Mpi which is halfly enough and halfly not. Since Paladon is not allowed to enter this contest since he won the last one, ask him about some tips of making it mui.

Lord_of_sausage said:
Cool spell Eccho, but it would be awesome if you could make a version of Crusher ward, where the rope is attached to you!
I sure could, that's not hard either. But that will come after the contest in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.