• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zombie Plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Seriously guys, all these misconceptions are simply hilarious. Zombies can run, can think and can make forum posts, the braindead dumb zombies you see on your TV are just as propagandistic as the braindead skinheads you see in the news.

Don't believe the media, kids. Zombies will eat your brains and write poetry / philosophy while doing so, probably inspired by the misconception of zombies in human thinking, especially if you base your method of survival on some TV show.

Level 17
I rather drink my own piss when it comes to survival.

BearGrylls.jpg

Level 9
Seriously guys, all these misconceptions are simply hilarious. Zombies can run, can think and can make forum posts, the braindead dumb zombies you see on your TV are just as propagandistic as the braindead skinheads you see in the news.

Don't believe the media, kids. Zombies will eat your brains and write poetry / philosophy while doing so, probably inspired by the misconception of zombies in human thinking, especially if you base your method of survival on some TV show.

lol. there you have it. we all do have different ideas on zombies. some of us think that they are stupid while others think they are smart. so wait till there is a zombie outbreak so all of us will know the truth (if there will be one.....) hahahaha LOL.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
1. Get a beer.
2. Find a nice program to watch.
3. Relax while calmly watching the program.

Nothing to worry about as Zombies are completly impossible. Thus if such an occurance as a "Zombie Outbreak" did occur, it would extinguish itself by the fact that Zombies are phsyically not possible.

Yes you get zombified ants, but that is quite different and a parasitic brain fungus. It does not cause stupid things like make them bullet resistance, spurt blood everywhere or make them rise from the graveyard.

Level 16
Dr Super Good is right about this one.

Zombies are so ridiculous. Everyone gives them ridiculous qualities such as being bullet proof and super strength. That's stupid. If any kind of parasite overrides an organism, and controls it, the parasite would not be able to endow such abilities. It only has the limited function of the host organism. Thuuuuuus, if a virus turned a human crazy and zombielike (which won't happen), it would not have the power to claw its way out of a grave, which is made of wood and 5+ feet below the ground. Moreover, the virus wouldn't be able to get to people in a graveyard at all.

Level 16
1. Get a beer.

Nothing to worry about as Zombies are completly impossible. Thus if such an occurance as a "Zombie Outbreak" did occur, it would extinguish itself by the fact that Zombies are phsyically not possible.

Yes you get zombified ants, but that is quite different and a parasitic brain fungus. It does not cause stupid things like make them bullet resistance, spurt blood everywhere or make them rise from the graveyard.

the fact that Dr. Super Good says it made me feel stupid believing zombies could exist.
i say,:thumbs_up:

Yeah, it is pretty well bullcrap. Though their are existing diseases that can make humans rather zombie-like, but those are usually fatal.

Just aswell, if you watch Discovery Channel, you'd know about a breed of wasp that protects its eggs by depositing them in another insect, usually with a toxin that turns that specific insect hostile towards all other moving creatures, in a bid to protect the eggs, usually buried around the head.

It'd have to be a bigass wasp to pull that off on us, though.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It'd have to be a bigass wasp to pull that off on us, though.

On top of that the condition is probably easilly treatable (wasp metabolisim is very different from ours so can be targeted specificly in a lethal way while leaving us unharmed).

We also would not become super powered like zombies are shown to be. The armies of developed countries could easilly deal with the problem.

Super zombies like in Resident Evil, Left 4 Dead or any of the sort are impossible at this point in time, and probably will be far into the future.

Leaving the idea of the 'infected' or 'resurrected' coming at us, however, as America is densely populated, it's easy to imagine an easy outbreak. But in one state alone, there are enough rednecks with multiple firearms per person that, not-so-surprisingly, even a covert "watchman" program won't even operate there, for fear of endangerment. And no, not those Watchmen.

Think, in a national crisis, all those hunters change their game from "three deer" to "those things trying to kill us". In addition, there are the police, various gangs with guns somewhere on their person, and the fucking military.

Just aswell, do you really think a sack of rotting flesh will have survival instincts? Hell if it starts out in some backwoods area, chances are a family of bears or a pack of wolves will stave off the outbreak. If there's a mountain in their way, they can't get up, and I'm pretty sure crawlers won't be a threat if they survive the damn fall. Hell, if you saw a zombie, it'd be in a bear trap, or half eaten.

Just aswell, they're rotting flesh. I mean, come on, man. As soon as your body stops functioning, theres nothing stopping germs and such inside your body from feasting on you. Those little germs are what give you gas. Wanna stop the zombie apocalypse? shut all the windows, lock 'em in a room and throw in a lighter. Just aswell, what about winter conditions? They'd freeze and die if their body doesn't just decompose.

Go find the most badly freezer burnt piece of meat in your freezer. Leave it on the counter for like a day. That mess is the zombie unfortunate enough to be stuck outside.

Level 17
1. Get a beer.

Golly, ya think? Thanks for that, Captain Obvious.

The topic is talking about the hypothetical sense that if, defying all odds, there is a zombie outbreak, what we would do to survive it. It isn't asking you if it's possible or not cause I'm quite sure everyone already knows that.

While we're on the topic of whether it's possible for zombies to exist though, I'd like to point you to the 28 Days Later/Weeks later variety. They aren't the living dead, they're quite alive but are inflicted with a disease that gives them the crazies and a craving for human flesh. Human rabies, basically.

You won't see any headless corpses walking around or anything, but it's pretty much the same idea and I can see something like that being very much possible. (Artificially developed, anyway.)

Level 17
Above. That would be due to abnormal levels of Seratonin-- Sanity chemical. =D

What would i do.

Well i would probably be dead, if not i would die. Otherwise i would run around made trying to set up a place of defense so scared and depressed i wish i would die.

Or if i come to terms to it i would open my front door. Sit down by the piano play a tune and die.

Mostly likely i will run and die though.

Yey cowardice!.

Zombies are very real/

There is a bacterium which infects rats and causes the rats to go crazy and run to the nearest predator to try and get itself eaten. The cat eats the rat and the bacteria breeds in the cats stomach. Then begins to spread again. It doesnt not however affect the cat/ But if it mutated and could be passed onto humans. First asia then the western world would be consumed in chaos

Level 16
There is a bacterium which infects rats and causes the rats to go crazy and run to the nearest predator to try and get itself eaten. The cat eats the rat and the bacteria breeds in the cats stomach. Then begins to spread again. It doesnt not however affect the cat/ But if it mutated and could be passed onto humans. First asia then the western world would be consumed in chaos

If you took biology in highschool you would know that there are large anatomical differences between rats, cats, and humans. A virus has trouble adapting between non-similar species, the reason why the rat cannot infect the cat with the disease. However, the virus can lay dormant inside the cat or exit through fecal matter. There is a variance in the chromosomes between humans, cats, and rats (the name escapes me, biology seems like forever ago), and it helps differentiate between species. The number of differences between humans and monkeys is 1, this is why the AIDS virus so easily transferred to monkeys (probably through eating a monkey). Thus, a virus that infects rats to seek out predators and get eaten will not pose problems to humans.

The parasite you in particular are talking about is named Toxoplasa gondii does infect rats. However, the only reason it steers its host towards the smell of cat urine (an easy way to find nearby cats), is because the parasite can only reproduce inside of the belly of a cat. There is not some malicious intent towards the rat. The parasite does not make the rat into a "zombie rat", it simply changes chemical signals in the rats brain to actively seek out cat urine.

Behaviour of this kind being caused by viruses or parasites is not new. The wasp Ampulex compressa inserts a specialized stinger into a cockroaches back, which gives the wasp total control. The wasp then directs the cockroach back to the wasps burrow. The cockroach is then eaten alive by the larvae, unable to resist at all. Isn't science wonderful?

Level 17
The point is the rat gets eaten. Thus suicide. Also the bacteria is taking over the rats mind for it to draw it towards the smell of urine. And yes that was the bacterium i was talking abuot well done ^^.

i do know there are large atomical diffrence. But a rat is very like a mouse. And mice are very like humans hence why we test on them. So the chance of it adapting is high. Also there is although very unlikely a chance where it will adapt when inside humans to take over the mind of the human and try to infect other humans.

Level 16
The Human Genome Project said:
The sequence data also confirms that the rodent lineage split 12 to 24 million years ago into the separate lines that gave rise to the rat and to the mouse. Researchers estimate about 50 chromosomal rearrangements occurred in each of the rodent lines after divergence from their common ancestor. The number of chromosomal rearrangements, as well as other types of genome changes, was found to be much lower in the primate lineage, indicating that evolutionary change has occurred at a faster rate in rodents than in primates.

50% chromosomal rearrangements between rats and mice. A lot less in the primate lineage. Correlated to why the jump between species for AIDS was so easy? Definitely.

But what does this mean? It means that close relation between species allows for parasites and viruses to target those closely related species, easier. I'm not denying that mice and humans are closely related, but rats and humans are not.

Level 16
That is completely ridiculous. If you believe science is good for only explosions, go without vaccinations, medicine, or hospitals. Your life expectancy will drop 20+ years.

If you really don't believe that science isn't useful for arguements, then you're stupid. Science is a form of pure reason, dictated by knowledge, trials, experimentation, and close observation. There are other forms of reason, but usually not as powerful or potent as science. An arguement without reason is a blind assertion, dictated by opinion and whim.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
50% chromosomal rearrangements between rats and mice. A lot less in the primate lineage. Correlated to why the jump between species for AIDS was so easy? Definitely.
Retro viruses have a high mutation rate, thus why they are hard to treat. We already have cures for such retro viruses as involved with AIDS but the problem is it would only kill 10% of them (as that is the faction of the retrovirus the cure works on due to rapid mutations) and quickly diminish down to 0. Even with a whole battery of cures for retro viruses, it can only hammer like atmost 50% of them as there are so many different kinds. The reduction is not enough to make any difference and after 1 application the effectiveness will drop to 0. Thus why there is currently no cure for the whole condition and no one botheres to work on curing specific retro viruses.

With enough exposure to something that is mutating that much, it is almost garunteed that humans will eventually get it. The problem with AIDS is not the concept behind it, as we have had retro viruses attack our immune system since humanity existed, but the way it does. Unlike human AIDS which is completly harmless to us (it was not even documented until recently as it farnkly does nothing), this was AIDS from another species that mutated slightly to be able to affect us. As such, most of humanity is suceptable to this form of attack without retaliation as it is just not recognized. There are even doubts it did cross the species barrier as older and older cases are being found. Some humans however are even immune to the dominint type of fatal AIDS so it could be looked as like any other deasease (could never kill the whole specices as some people would live and become immune).

But what does this mean? It means that close relation between species allows for parasites and viruses to target those closely related species, easier. I'm not denying that mice and humans are closely related, but rats and humans are not.
It all depends on how it interacts with the organisim. Humans and mice might seem different, but we are also very simlar. We are both mammals, meaning we have a lot of shared mechanics which are universally targetable.

The most common example is selmonela, a strain of bacteria. Selmonela is a mutation of a strain of primitive gut bacteria found in a many kinds of animals. For animals that are reptiles or birds it is completly harmless and infact can even aid their digestion productivly (its just another type of gut bacteria for them). The problem is that Selmonela is now very dominent in farming produce and even some pets (it is a mutation that has become mainsteam).

If most mamals consume food with a small dosage of selmonela bacteria on it (including humans) they will not be very well (this is an understatement, humans die to this even with immediate and extreem medical attention). This is because mamals evolved to use a completly different type of gut bacteria to their reptile ancestors. Different as we are, a rat and a human both use the same type of bacteria (common ancestry although different individually). Selmonela does not like this bacteria much and because of its dominence in the gut it goes into a state of relasing toxins to try and flush it out. Most mamals can not tollerate this toxin and it causes extreem medical problems and in nature is almost always fatal. Normal lab rats infected with selmonela have a 100% chance of fatality to put it in perspecitve. Humans infected with selmonela are immediatly hospitalized and have a high chance of fatality (only thanks to modern medication).

An example of a similarity between us and rats.

Because some viruses, bacteria or fungus target specific metabolic processes, these metabolic processes can be generic or only altered slightly. Thus it is possible that a flu that only affects birds could jump to humans if the human exposes himself to huge doses of the flu viruses. Eventually 1 mutation could occur enabling it to affect the processes in a human.

Mutant disease is developed to target the parts of our brain that make us human, give us restraint and keep you from a permanent state of rage. Quite a small part of the brain, too. There you have it, technical zombies. Improbable leap from Mad Cow. Should be a completely new strain of a similar virus geared directly towards humans. Mad Human perhaps? New Yorker Syndrome? Nevertheless, virus would have to be similar in function, not a mutant strain of another virus designed for another species.

Level 17

Hence why they jump to mice first ^^.

And its not batshit ...

Also you can create a zombie by wripping out a persons brain and leaving only there prime cortex ^^ Which is located near the neck and back of head.

Then they would become like potatoes.

Still the most valid reason yet so far for zombies is a Drug with Alters the Seratonin levels

ooh i read on abit. Nvm Dr super good proved the possibillity >-<

Level 11
Well i was only joking there...Because,using a browser game as a source for news would be the last idiotic,stupid,mindless thing a human could do,and i don't want to be first to try that xD
Now seriously if a zombie outbreak would arrive and my family would get infected which i hope that would never happen,i would leave my family there,and run away as soon was i see the first transformation signs,and run to the nearest police station or military base,as there you can have supplies and weapons,and plus,there is the army or police men which would keep the zombies away,i personally doubt i if would ever get to shoot one,as i would be busy hiding in a closet or something =))

Level 7
Even though mammalia, as a class, share certain similarities in their immune systems, and, as Dr Super Good correctly stated, share similar physical responses to stimuli from pathogens and bacteria, it must be noted that no two species share exactly the same immune system. It's been brought out, factually, that, even among the hominidae ('great apes'), the resident species possess distinct differences. In the case of HIV/AIDS and even Hepatitis B, it's been found that humans are far more sensitive to certain effects of the pathogens of those respective diseases than chimpanzees, which are believed to share 96% of the same DNA with humans. [source] So, really, even though certain diseases may affect a wide range of species - whether it be in a genus, family, superfamily or even a phylum - it would be illogical and incorrect to assume that one disease will have the same effects on one specie as it would on another. AIDS is notable in humans. In primates generally? Excluding humans, not really. At all. There may be one or two isolated incidents involving a monkey or ape contracting some strain of HIV/AIDS, but those are just those - isolated incidents, and are few and far between. Besides, I don't exactly see many veterinarians treating monkeys with anti-retrovirals. Just thought I'd add my two cents.

Back on-topic, I think I'd probably stack up on canned or tinned food and bottled mineral water. The usual, I guess. Unlike the cliche, though, I'd probably be nomadic, searching for other settlements of human survivors.

Level 14
As many people have said. Zombies are impossible. If they were to exist they would die off. If the virus specifically targets the brain and leaves the rest of the body. What do you reckon the Immune system will do. The Immune system will begin to fight the infection, either killing the person or rendering them clean with brain damage.

T-Virus is complete load of crap. Theres no way a virus could possibly reanimate dead cells. A virus works by injecting either RNA or DNA into the cell, then the nucleus reads these coded instructions. If the cell is technically dead then the nucleus would be dead also.

Plus. For the virus to compact enough instructions of behavior, instincts, and the fact that is also has to compact instructions of replication. The Virus would have to be huge. Wouldn't the immune system pick it up and quickly dispose of the virus. Then you ask me, "Wouldn't the virus have a defence mechanism" well. there you go. More need coded instructions.

As many people have said. Zombies are impossible. If they were to exist they would die off. If the virus specifically targets the brain and leaves the rest of the body. What do you reckon the Immune system will do. The Immune system will begin to fight the infection, either killing the person or rendering them clean with brain damage.

T-Virus is complete load of crap. Theres no way a virus could possibly reanimate dead cells. A virus works by injecting either RNA or DNA into the cell, then the nucleus reads these coded instructions. If the cell is technically dead then the nucleus would be dead also.

Plus. For the virus to compact enough instructions of behavior, instincts, and the fact that is also has to compact instructions of replication. The Virus would have to be huge. Wouldn't the immune system pick it up and quickly dispose of the virus. Then you ask me, "Wouldn't the virus have a defence mechanism" well. there you go. More need coded instructions.

Dead reanimations is close to impossible, rabies mutation is not. And by the way, we know more than a thousand viruses that is capable of bypassing the immune system in some way or another, HIV and the common cold to name a few.

Even then, some people are surprisingly resistant to them. For example, you could sneeze on my shit all day long, and as long as I wipe my hands on my shirt after touching something, you. won't. get. me. sick. However, I crash. Then there are others that are not as tolerant, but can weather the illness. Of course, cases vary, and a flatout zombie apocalypse would not happen if only types like me were susceptible to initial infection.

Level 17

1. It does not store data for the processes and behavior/insticts it simply augements those which are already in the body. Like Hunger-- This can be done by secreting the hormone and andrenaline or by imbalancing the seratonin levels.

2. You cannot reanimate the dead as of yet. But a virus can keep a person alive. It is possible for all of your brain apart from your Precortex to be dead. THe tiny bit near the back of your head and at the top of your neck. That is the only part of your brain you need to be alive. Albiet you will be a vegtable. Chickens actually have this part of there brain in there neck so yeh thats why you can behead a chicken. And it takes a hour or so for all b rains cells to die. Dependant on conditions. So it is all that likely they can "come back from the dead" For the virus is anerobic and can replicate itself enough that even though a human body may not be able to sustain such damage without implications if there was not excessive blood lost the adrenaline rush which if high enough could cause for the person to wake up in that "Vegatitive state" if there major organs had not crashed. But even then all a virus ahs to do is become a tuma around the nervous system and it doesnt even need the person to be fully alive to move them around. Just simply send signals in and out of CnS.

Zombies have been proven to be possible. And zombies do techinically exist. earlier in this thread there was a mention of the tribes which create zombies to work through drugs.

Rna and Dna is very compact.

The immune system has many flaws as said above

Level 14
Yes, the Immune System has flaws, but it will react over time. Eventually it will recognize the virus and start attacking it. It will start to produce Anti-bodies to combat the virus. This will lead to many things such as destruction of vital brain cells (Controls Movement, Behavior, ect), or Decay of the body as the Immune system begins to attack infected cells. And please someone tell me if there is a virus that can bond to, and infect all types of cells inside the human body. Unless there is, there is possibly no way for a zombie to sustain itself.

If the Immune system however is destroyed, weakened, or just doesnt work, im sure all types of invading microbes will seize its chance and start to kill the zombie.

Level 11
Yes, the Immune System has flaws, but it will react over time. Eventually it will recognize the virus and start attacking it. It will start to produce Anti-bodies to combat the virus. This will lead to many things such as destruction of vital brain cells (Controls Movement, Behavior, ect), or Decay of the body as the Immune system begins to attack infected cells. And please someone tell me if there is a virus that can bond to, and infect all types of cells inside the human body. Unless there is, there is possibly no way for a zombie to sustain itself.

If the Immune system however is destroyed, weakened, or just doesnt work, im sure all types of invading microbes will seize its chance and start to kill the zombie.

lol at the number of posts xD,just doesn't fits with the avatar,and yes i think you are right,the immunity system adapts to it's incomming viruses and other bad stuff,but sadly if ruins the fantasy of a zombie outbreak heheheh

Status
Not open for further replies.