• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Contest #13 - Algorithmics

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

zephyr.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
3.png

algo.jpg

Algorithmics
Invent your own WarCraft III spell using all sorts of algorithms (recursions, array sorts and so on), may they be famous or not. Unleash your imagination to get the most out of it. From simple to advanced, all systems are allowed.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the spell submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Finding testers to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
  • Either GUI or JASS may be used to create your spell; you will not be penalized if you use GUI over JASS.
  • Spells must be able to be cast by at least one unit per player at any one time. (Otherwise known as "MPI")
  • Third party editors may be used in the creation of your spell, but you must clearly state which editor you used to create the map. If a third party editor is necessary to use your spell, add a link, along with your spell submission, to download the editor.

Examples of third party editors are:
    • World Editor Unlimited
    • JassNewGenPack (or Grimoire)
    • UMSWE
  • You may not use any existing systems and/or resources. The exception from this is TimerUtils system.
  • An infraction of any of the rules stated above may result in a disqualification.
prizes.png

• First Place: 80 reputation points and your entry on the award icon;
  • Second Place: 55 reputation points and an award icon;
  • Third Place: 40 reputation points and an award icon.

judges.png

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Efficiency
How efficient the spell is? How well is it coded? Are leaks properly avoided? Is it clear from workarounds? Is it easy to implement in any other map? Can it be easily configured? Is documentation present? Is the code understandable to read?/20

Originality
How unique the spell is? Are there some other spells sharing the same idea?/30

Visuals
How does the skill look? Is it overloaded with special effects? How explanatory is the tooltip/description of its functionality?/10

Algorithmization
Is any algorithmization principle used in the spell? How well it fits there? Does it have any important function for the spell to work?/10
  • 60 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 40 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on ZZZSTILLNOTAPPROVED and conclude on ZZZSTILLNOTAPPROVED, GMT

@rulerofiron99,
That's not actually too vague.
"make any spell you want, including algorithms"

For example, a recursive spell, or a spell where the array must be sorted in some way. Another good spell example is a spell where the damage is grown exponentially with every new unit (like a chain lightning, but in reverse). Many good ideas can be developed from such a topic.

The algorithm list is on Wikipedia actually. :)

People will maybe be motivated to code as complex as possible to get fency looking algorithms.. :/ If that will be the result I'm not a fan of it.
The theme is "Algorithmics". I'm not sure if the goal of making a spell should be how the code looks in the end.
Actually maybe each spell is using a algorithm (kind of), but I think when it comes important to good and efficient algorithms is for solving problems or systems.

Just my idea... let's see what others think. ^^

Level 25
An algorithm is a tool to code something, which is something that is useful in a great many spells. Put using hyperbole, it's like saying "code a spell using JASS". It's incredibly vague.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a neat idea to start with the math and work the spell up from there, I just think it's much too vague to be able to judge properly in a contest.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
So. Yeah. Given the controversy in formalizing a definition for the modern algorithm, this would basically be, informally, any finite set of instructions that terminates in a well-defined ending state, right? Almost... pretty similar to the conventional Arena mechanisms. This diagram for reference.

133407-albums3940-picture96695.png
It is clear from the diagram overview of my algorithm that prior to the actual submission comes a discussion of the idea. The module is also sequential; running it concurrently with multiple threads may cause unexpected difficulty in execution, given no mechanisms for controlling collision when accessing shared resources and critical sections.

Bam! Entry's done!

Sorry buddy, this will need to be reworked a bit before I can approve anything. And, more than anything, it won't be approved until the ongoing contest is wrapped up. This means you have plenty of time to discuss the next theme with your peers and can work out a well-defined theme with a smaller margin for loopholes.

Good luck.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
It's been said that you can't put your name in the judge list just like that. You need to ask the staffs whether they think you are quailified enough to be a judge in the field or not. Try to read this thread. As I don't really notice your name's appearing around spell section and giving criticisms.

And it's not wise to start another contest before the previous one is finished (heck, it's still in polling stage). It's also no good to put the theme in your mind just like that. What I meant with asking "what theme do you have in your mind?" was you should open a theme polling thread and put your ideas there, not simply use them in the contest. Remember, this contest is not yours, this is everyone's. Hosting a contest only means you're helping to organize everything in the contest, not owning the contest (except if you are the one who will give the rewards).

And I'm disagreed with this "algorithm" theme. It's like you can submit any spell you can think of, because basically, every spell uses algorithms.

And 80 reps reward is ridiculous. Who on earth suggested it? Just keep it around 50-35-20
:thumbs_up:

EDIT:
As Ralle said, maybe you need permission from the former Zephyr Contests host (Pharaoh) before you can host the next one. If this is your first time, you also need a mentor from staff rank to help you. PnF was my mentor in the previous contest. You need to consult about this matter in staff contact. Because, really, contests shouldn't be hosted by random people that easily. As I also did many regulations before I hosted the previous contest, even tho I did some disappointments eventually.

Last edited:
Some explanation of what's going on

Quilnez,
It's been said that you can't put your name in the judge list just like that. You need to ask the staffs whether they think you are quailified enough to be a judge in the field or not. Try to read this thread. As I don't really notice your name's appearing around spell section and giving criticisms.
Regarding examples of me doing some spell reviewing job, I thought people noticed... 0.0
Two spell examples from the list of spells reviewed by me:
If you need more examples, I can dig up more reviews I did or do more reviews instead.
Pardon me if I caused misunderstandings about all that.

And it's not wise to start another contest before the previous one is finished (heck, it's still in polling stage). It's also no good to put the theme in your mind just like that. What I meant with asking "what theme do you have in your mind?" was you should open a theme polling thread and put your ideas there, not simply use them in the contest. Remember, this contest is not yours, this is everyone's. Hosting a contest only means you're helping to organize everything in the contest, not owning the contest (except if you are the one who will give the rewards).
I repeat, it was not the idea to start the contest, it was the suggestion of topic for the next contest, properly marked up to make the job of markupping and shaping it a ton easier later.
Also, I quote the thing I have already said in THW Chat to Ralle:

[20-39-39]
user.png
bowser499: Ralle, such a method with any contest actually improves the amount of participants + the quality of the contest overall - lots of time to find judges (BEFORE contest gets approved) - this way there won't be chaotic judge appointment when contest is already running.

...like it actually came up in ZC #12.

And I'm disagreed with this "algorithm" theme. It's like you can submit any spell you can think of, because basically, every spell uses algorithms.
To make it all much more concrete, I'd like to add this:
Addition to the contest's rules
One or more algorithm types which must be present in your final submission:
I placed a links to Wikipedia so people can actually understand what's this all about and I think this time it's all concrete enough. Though, if you want more types of algorithms added, that's no problem!

As Ralle said, maybe you need permission from the former Zephyr Contests host (Pharaoh) before you can host the next one. If this is your first time, you also need a mentor from staff rank to help you. PnF was my mentor in the previous contest. You need to consult about this matter in staff contact. Because, really, contests shouldn't be hosted by random people that easily. As I also did many regulations before I hosted the previous contest, even tho I did some disappointments eventually.
I don't want to sound rude or something, but truly, bureacracy kills creativity. This mirrors for the users in kinda unoriginal, usual 'just-another-contest' typed topics which are posted in haste and nearly no time to properly select judges and/or get enough contestants in order to make the competition fair enough (just three who compete between each other like in ZC #12 is simply not really okay) - if posting such a topic now, it'll be wise regarding to these things:
  • Users' satisfaction. If a user lost one contest or skipped it, it's usually a pain to wait for another contest. If people will see that the topic of next contest is well-defined right after the submission time for the first contest will be finished, they will still have that will and that hope to participate in it and try more; they consider that as their second chance if done in right time.
  • SEO usefulness. Searching engines require a lot of time to index new pages (it's even up to 3 weeks in some cases). It will be a smart idea to post such a topic beforehand just so the topic will be properly indexed by search engines and will attract more outer attention of those who ask for Warcraft III-related contests.
  • Section's Activity Growth. This policy must double or even triple current audience of the Arena section. If people will see that new contests are properly discussed and already preparing, this will attract more people to improve the section. Just to remember: the fish always begins from the head. If current audience is doing something good, this will attract more attention of people => more activity => more participants for more contests.

You may ask me: "Alright, that's understandable but how in the world would you get much more contestants?"

There are also a couple of methods:
  • Sharing the contest as a rule of participation: This method is successfully used in deviantART's giveaways - one of the rules is to share that giveaway you want to enter with others "to give others a chance". In THW's way, it can be used as sharing the contests in social networks (like Facebook), in personal blogs or other sources where people interested in WarCraft III may hang out.
  • Placing the contest's link in the signature for both organizators and participants: The link must be visible; it will help the local advertising on THW to inform many people around here about the contest. This will also attract more attention.

And 80 reps reward is ridiculous. Who on earth suggested it? Just keep it around 50-35-20
Well, you gotta re-read THW Chat, buddy. It was initially 50-35-20.

[17-55-35]
user.png
Quilnez: 80 plz,
[17-55-43]
user.png
bowser499: ok, 80.
[17-55-45]
user.png
Quilnez: fladdermasken approves

fladdermasken,
Sorry buddy, this will need to be reworked a bit before I can approve anything. And, more than anything, it won't be approved until the ongoing contest is wrapped up. This means you have plenty of time to discuss the next theme with your peers and can work out a well-defined theme with a smaller margin for loopholes.
Actually, you just stated the reason on why I did that topic inbefore. I don't ask to approve it immediately, instead I just ask for more time to organize everything properly to avoid loopholes, misunderstandings and other types of bad things. Of course the contest is only approved after the previous one finishes. But still, please read everything I said above about all that.

I'm going to the Staff Contact right now to solve some issues.

Last edited:

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Alright, I wasn't here when you were giving some reviews. Still. staffs should approve you as a judge.

It's up to you if you want to force this algorithm theme. But I suggest just open a polling thread for the theme. Again, this is people's contest. Let's see what theme do they actually want. But you are free to put your ideas in the polling. Anyway, how can you be so sure if many people will like this algorithm theme?

As for ZC#12, it had followed complete procedures before starting up:
- A thread that discussed any theme that should be added to the polling, which runs for 1 week. LINK There were epic debates in this thread to choose the best possible themes.
- A theme polling thread with 13 available options. LINK. It runs for more than 2 months just to conclude the best and the most wanted theme. Eventually, "Combo" was chosen after some epic battles between epic themes.
- The thread has been made since the theme polling was started (2 months before the contest was officially started). So there was obviously enough times for preparation. I have appointed a lot of talented coders to be judges in the contest as well: TriggerHappy, BPower, Bribe, Maker, and many more. But no one approves.
- Since it's been delayed way too long (due to unavailability of judges), I decided to start the contest before our contestants' were out of time, and leave the contest. I pick the best possible time: several days after the Christmas and New Year Eve so less people are busy. But sadly again, I was at my vacation in my hometown for a month until February, where it's really2 hard to gain internet access so I couldn't really monitor how the contest was going.
- The contest runs for 1 and a half months, plus a week extension in hope more contestants will come and some late-joined contestants can finish their works. But still after the long way, no one was appointed to be a judge. The first judge (edo494) was appointed lately when winner polling thread is running.

So I conclude, the contest wasn't in a rush and it has followed ideal preparation procedures. It's just the matter of bad timing. The theme polling was unexpectedly runs for 2 months as well (there were some tied options). The discussion thread was also open for opinions about the rules, instead of forcing my own self-thought rules to be applied.

So.. No. I denied the statement of Zephyr Contest #12 was poorly prepared.

My first impression:

WTF?

Well, currently I have an idea. I CAME UP TO AN IDEA

Hell no. I disagree with this contest.

First of all, a simple code can be considered already as an algorithm. Second, if you are referring to "that" algorithm, people will have a hard time thinking of a spell that can do something like this.

So yeah, ZC#13 Algorithmics is just a plain Spell Contest.

I really disagree with organising this during the contest's polling stage (should be finished) and skipping the idea discussion thread - considering the theme proposed here wasn't so much as on the previous list. Even if it wasn't questionable to begin with, it would logically follow the the theme that came second would be used (though really an ideas discussion should come up with the ones that came second being automatically included)

Also even based on the algorithms provided, that basically boils down to pretty much any ability, especially sort/search and physics (get closest valid target(s), launch projectile(s) at it type abilities immediately come to mind) I just think the whole thing is a bit too open-ended. A restrictive theme which has little wiggle room tends to generate the most creativity - the only way you could do that would be to make the necessary algorithms really complex, which would then harm the participant count (The current contest suffered from this as it took as you know, a lot of effort and time to produce a single entry, more than usual)

Eitherway aside from the major things some things I also wanted to comment on:
Sharing the contest as a rule of participation
Hell no, some of us (such as myself) refuse to use social media and thus cannot do this, moreover aribtrary rules which limit those who want to participate isn't going to increase the amount of participation
Placing the contest's link in the signature for both organizators and participants:
We already have a notice at the top of the site that informs people of its existence, moreover some of us like our signatures the way we have them, if people want to do that individually then that's their prerogative
suggestion of topic for the next contest, properly marked up to make the job of markupping and shaping it a ton easier later.
Suggestions of topics should be done in an idea-collecting thread, not in a marked up post (though even if you did it in a properly marked up thread, the thread title should still be about idea collecting)

I also think people who're into warcraft III will have already come across or know about this site - I don't see a significant raise in participation via search engine relevancy.

I just do not think this is the right time to be doing this - I appreciate fast organising but not quite this fast

Level 34
If this is what you've got I am baffled. It looks like all you want is to create a contest. You don't really know exactly what its about yet.

I do not know whats is going on, but I know that several people today in chat complained to me about some dramas in last contest. I am even given archived thread from last few days. In that archive are some deleted posts from there and some guy which emo quit and wants to be removed from contest.
That is why I never joined in any contests, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.