• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

YOU relize that sc2 is an improved wc3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
If sc2 with all 3 expansion cost 180$ its not worth it, look at the game play the game is literally wc3 with better models, graphics...which not far from wc3.
the only thing that makes this game good is the editor. which not sure is gonna be easy to use.

Level 14
If sc2 with all 3 expansion cost 180$ its not worth it, look at the game play the game is literally wc3 with better models, graphics...which not far from wc3.
the only thing that makes this game good is the editor. which not sure is gonna be easy to use.

jim_carey.jpg

And world of warcraft is just like diablo2.

Level 7
I think I'm actually willing to pay 180 euros for SC2 with all the addons and a couple years of galaxy editor content... :)
But no, you're retarded if you think it's the same as wc3. You haven't even played both of them so you can't know. And if you think it's the same if you look at it, you're also retarded, because obviously these 3 races are way more distinct, there are no heroes, units die more easily, macro is more important (compared to wc3, where if you don't micro you're doomed, even if you macro very well), and online you're matched up against ppl of your own skill...

Level 2
you can do alot more custom stuff then you ever could on wc3 on sc2 so this is a easy buy and that im worn out of wc3 since there realy isint anything more that can be done to the game and the editor is gonna be able to do alot more stuff and easier to do aswell if you have even read about it

Level 17
If you think starcraft 2 and warcraft 3 is the same, it is probably about time that you actually try those games, or your taking drugs. But that doesnt matter.

Warcraft 3 & Starcraft 2 is entierly different games, gameplay is totally different, Warcraft is about heroes, creeping, and small armys.
Starcraft 2 is about macro, huge armys & keeping controll of alot of units at once.

The only thing that is similar is UI and the fact that both is RTS.
If you say that sc2 and wc3 is the same, then you could basicly say that all RTS games is the same game with different units.

Level 2
Some people are worried that there are no heroes in the game but there is actualy but only on custom made maps.

Level 22
Actually saying SC2 is a better war3 is nice, thank you very much. All are complaining that SC2 is just a remade SC1 with some changes (SOME changes !?, more like a complettely new game). I also prefer to compare it to war3 cause SC1 besides the concept of the 3 races and their buildings and resources, SC1 was 2D, SC2 is like war3 in many things: the units die slower than SC1, they are like war3, replays, hotkeys etc is like war3. Hello my new war3, competitive with units dying slower, and much better than war3!

Level 8
I don't think so
Actually, they are the same engine. However, Starcraft 2's engine is far more improved and worked on than the Warcraft 3 engine. Think of it like the Unreal 3 engine; its like the previous versions, only vastly improved.

There are also many other differences; have you seen the campaign? More specifically, the Hyperion bridge for the campaign? Compared to most games, the campaign alone is worth the money! Then there's the custom games to boot, the more advanced editor, and the online melee multiplayer scene! It is pretty damn well worth ~$60 for the first game, perhaps the two expansions as well if they are just as good (in terms of the campaign and possible additional units).

Level 2
I think he knows its better but hes worried cause he doesent have any money or a good enough computer to run the game and that when wc3 is dead he will have nothing left to play. Ive seen plenty of threads like this on mmorpg forums to know it:D

Level 4
You are missing my point sc2 is same as sc1 are practically the same, except graphics (NOT INCLUDING GAME PLAY) tell me whats different. just seem they care about $$$ and more people get excited about it the more it will sell, probably reason they waiting on it. and as far as wc3 and sc they are practically the same i mean i could make a sc game out of using wc editor and except adding a model i could use wc3 editor alone. if not for the editor the game would suck.

Level 2
You are missing my point sc2 is same as sc1 are practically the same, except graphics (NOT INCLUDING GAME PLAY) tell me whats different. just seem they care about $$$ and more people get excited about it the more it will sell, probably reason they waiting on it. and as far as wc3 and sc they are practically the same i mean i could make a sc game out of using wc editor and except adding a model i could use wc3 editor alone. if not for the editor the game would suck.

Dumbest thing ive ever heard why make any strategy game at all then when you have the all mighty wc3? Gameplay is everything they are not the same game whatsoever.

Level 8
jim_carey.jpg

And world of warcraft is just like diablo2.
I would like to echo this.
You must remeber that they are a developer; OF COURSE THEY WANT MONEY! They would loose their jobs if they went "let's make this game for freeeee". That may not be a bad thing though; to make the most money, you need to make the best product/video game out there.

It is not nearly the same as WC3 truthfully; in every respect, the engine is different. The models and terrain are extremely detailed. They have worked for years on this project; most developers take a year, maybe two, max of three to make a video game.

How will it suck? Please tell me. The multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay will be kick ass and awesome to play; the campaign will take WoW's superb storytelling and insert that into Starcraft's wicked story; and a wicked editor to boot! I also doubt you could make everything that is awesome about Starcraft 2 in Warcraft 3's engine.

All in all, there isn't anything else to argue about really. The "They are in it for the money" dealeo is true, as with every single developer out there, but remember that they want this game to last; why else would they take years? They cared enough about the model detail that they had their modelers re-do all the Zerg (and some terran) models, for cripes sake! ANY other developer would of gone "good enough, move on.".

In closing (D: raaant :(), I would like to echo this person.

Seeing how you compare two games "not including gameplay", you suck.

I sure hope I'm not being trolled. D: I am face-desking right now.

Level 4
point proven still hate fact its not that special, if not for galaxy editor

sc2 is still same as sc1 with better graphics and few changes

There are many fundamental differences in the engine that could simply not be done in wc3. For example, SC2 has a completely up-to-date IK-systen (inverse kinematics), complete seamless ground textures instead of tiles, cliff detection, beam-type attacks (like void ray, something that is very hard to recreate in wc3), and not to mention the implementation of an actual lighting system (instead of just vertex colouring individual faces), including bumb/normal mapping and specular maps, and the ability to mask objects using textures(!), like in the way debris fades away. Then there's also the new water system, allowing water to be dynamic beyond boundaries.
The IK-system in particular is practically impossible to replicate in warcraft 3.

Also, if we start discussing the new posibilities coming with the galaxy editor, we'd have to go on all night.
I bet you just saw those blizzard cliffs back in action and though: "oh, that reminds me of warcraft 3!"

Level 5
point proven still hate fact its not that special, if not for galaxy editor

sc2 is still same as sc1 with better graphics and few changes

You're an idiot. In your opening post you compared sc2 and wc3. Not sc1 and sc2. Quit trying to save your pathetic ass.

Companies want to make money. This is both new and exciting.

Starcraft 2 is different because it has

-Vastly improved graphics engine
-New gameplay elements such as: News units for each factions, rubble to cut through different areas of the map, small portions of the map that make your units invisible unless your enemy goes in it. Xel Naga Towers.
-A new campain, and a way of telling a story [the Hyperion bridge, for example.
-Vastly improved map editor.

Go die.

Level 9
I'm starting to this this is a troll. Let me give you some analogies.

Oranges are just like Apples, except with a few changes and more Vitamic C.

Actually, they are the same engine. However, Starcraft 2's engine is far more improved and worked on than the Warcraft 3 engine. Think of it like the Unreal 3 engine; its like the previous versions, only vastly improved.

No. They are not the same engine. It is not "improved" from the Warcraft 3 engine. It's made from scratch. -.- Just look at the data files, they're all different formats. Same goes for Unreal Tournament 2 vs Unreal 3. They aren't the same engine. They are 2 seperate, different engines, but with the same name.

Level 6
and just because the only difference in the name is a number (1vs 2 unreal 2 vs 3) does not mean there the same. it means it was the same developer making something entirely new to do a simillar job in an entirely superior way. starcraft is and isn't like wc3/sc1

things alike:
it's an RTS (wow new info)
you can shoot things
same universe
many simillar units

things different:
mousewhere for editor
new story
many new units
new/better models and formats
shitload of crap that you couldn't even do in WC3 (and i've had days when i can't think of anything WC3 can't do (i know there out there but still))

conclusion: starcraft 2 is way different. not technically completely different, but more than different enough to call it a new game. P.S. further argument is pointless, perhaps we should let this topic die.

Yeah, about that with the whole "you can basically make SC2 in WC3":
You can do pretty much ANYTHING in wc3, except it will likely look like crap. If i'd make a crysis map in warcraft, i don't think anyone will be like "OMG CRYSIS IS A WC3 CLONE" ect.

imo the awesome lighting system is the coolest improvement in SC2, if we had those dynamic shadows and normal maps in wc3, maps would look so much more awesome.

well, war3 and sc2 are similar in some things:
-they are made by Blizzard
-they are RTS
-they both have world editors

and about the difference between war3 and sc2?
-So many to say

and just because the only difference in the name is a number (1vs 2 unreal 2 vs 3) does not mean there the same. it means it was the same developer making something entirely new to do a simillar job in an entirely superior way. starcraft is and isn't like wc3/sc1

things alike:
same universe

I dont think warcraft and starcraft is in the same universe...

Level 9
Ahem, really who cares, the point is its going to be fun, not whats the same/different compared to other games. Comparison threads are good for looking back at the old games and seeing how far we came with the newest one, but something like this thread breeds only trolling and ignorance from both parties. Aside from the fact that the Warcraft 3 editor came farther than any game editor before it makes it a very hard mountain to climb by SC2 so I can understand how you feel that some things can be recreated, but with the editor not even out yet and the fact that I doubt you've played the game yourself, AND the fact that its just a Beta with just multiplayer enabled at the moment, its too soon for a thread such as this one to be created.

END THIS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.