1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest. The contest is optionally paired. Best of luck, people!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

SC2 is warcraft 4?

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by The_wand_mirror, Mar 8, 2010.

1. The_wand_mirror

The_wand_mirror

Resources:
    Resources:
    With SC2 coming i don't see any use for a whole standalone Warcraft 4 game anymore, the editor allows you to make heroes etc. and does everything the Wc3 one does and more.

The only reason would be a story, but that would mean making all freaking models again only in higher quality or whatever. Anyway, i don't really see the need for a warcraft 4 anymore, maybe a downloadable(paid) sequal by blizzard made with the SC2 engine?

2. The_Phalanx

The_Phalanx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    How about no? That would be like saying that now that we have Starcraft we don't need to bother making a Warcraft 3, we could just make it a download to use the same engine back in 1998.

Furthermore, Blizzard is a company that wants to make money. They know that Warcraft, especially the RTS, is still a cash cow and people will pay for Warcraft 4. Starcraft is not a substitute for it.

As Technology advances, SC2 will become obsolete, and that's when Warcraft 4 will come out. Or a new RTS. But SC2 will not be the end-all-be-all of Blizzard's RTSes. That's just not how the gaming industry works. Technology advances, people become accustomed to better looking models and get tired of playing the same thing over and over again, they want something new.

3. The_wand_mirror

The_wand_mirror

Resources:
    Resources:
    Huh?

Editor-wise it is better than war3 which means more/better custom maps and the fact that all old features are still in there people would probably want to make a conversion sooner or later (if it gets done is another story xD). But i don't see it coming within the next 4 years or so.

4. bboy-tiger-

bboy-tiger-

Resources:
    Resources:
    SC2 will he here for another 10 years, then Wc4 will come. Well in 3+ years maybe or more...

5. Tyranid

Tyranid

Resources:
    Resources:
    ... and then Warcraft 4 comes out with an even more advanced editor and then a thread pops up that "there is no reason for Starcraft 3 since Warcraft 4 editor is so powerful!"

6. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes, it is true that one of the big aims of Starcraft II was to make a very moddable game. I think it's only a matter of time until Blizzard realizes they can start making big money with their product being the game engine itself.
    I think it's certainly possible. The question is if they realize their product is the game engine or not before Warcraft IV. Or perhaps they'll do WC4 for one final major upgrade to the game engine.

7. The_wand_mirror

The_wand_mirror

Resources:
    Resources:
    I just meant that warcraft 4 would probably take so long to being released because of blizzard having other projects under developement (D3, WoW, and SC2 itself) and SC2 pratically being the sequal to the modfest that warcraft 3 became.

And about that editor, i've heard about tons of stuff now that the War3 one was lacking (yes probably because of the advanced modding community but anyways) like for example that data editor. I don't think they can come up with something better unless they make War4 a whole other type of game/RTS.

8. JimBob

JimBob

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think WC4 will be announced in 5 years.

Blizzard is currently working on SC2 and than its expansions as well as the WoW expansion(Don't know how many more they will make)? They're also working on Diablo 3 and than its possible expansions as well as a next gen MMORPG which is suppose to be a NEW franchise. That's 4 Blizz teams working on games.

There will be a WC4 in the future, but I don't see one in the near future seeing how WoW is already covering the Warcraft universe. Expect a WC4; just don't expect it anytime soon.

9. The_wand_mirror

The_wand_mirror

Resources:
    Resources:
    And that's exactly what i ment (forgot to mention that new MMO btw)

So my conclusion, the purpose of the thread actually just stating my opinion here:

War4 won't be coming anytime soon,War3 is old, i'm off to Starcraft 2 because it's in any way better than War3 and i expect the same kind of multiplayer experience in custom games. (And i also never got to play the original so im also new to the melee variant)

10. Tyranid

Tyranid

Resources:
    Resources:
    ... and then while people are using Starcraft 2 editor they start complaining about different kinds of limitations in THAT system and some systems that could be improved. Then those will be improved for Warcraft 4 editor and this same thread pops up again, except this time it's no Starcraft 3 because of Warcraft 4.

11. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    There are only so many times they can implement the exact same basic concept without getting a system flexible enough to not need upgrade.

12. WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Starcraft 2:
    img
    [​IMG]

Warcraft 3:
    img
    [​IMG]

Yep, same franchise, definitely.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2010
  13. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You realize that if you strip the art aspect out of those images you end up with almost identical games? The UI is almost 1:1. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually reused code from WC3.

14. Darkness-4ever

Darkness-4ever

Resources:
    Resources:
    I wouldn't be surprised either, though it would be catastrophically stupid to completely redo the entire code whenever making a new RTS, the style has to be somewhat familiar or it'll feel too alien and might turn some people off of the game, pretty much every video game franchise reuses code from their older video games, its true for just about all of them.

15. The_wand_mirror

The_wand_mirror

Resources:
    Resources:
    And you did not notice the WoW-like launcher blizzard made for starcraft 2 to update it's content?

16. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I wish that but Blizzard want to make ppl buy games a lot sooner, so imo 4 years and warcraft 4 may be out for beta. Esp if they announce War4 next blizzcon.

With SC2 you would have to make lots of custom interface and such, which was the same futuristic in war3 - which made me actually stop doing war3 maps and continue from that point in galaxy editor.

17. DungeonM

DungeonM

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's thinking like this that makes innovative people cry.

Look to history. There are always people who claim that they have reached the top. They have always been wrong.

18. Na_Dann_Ma_GoGo

Na_Dann_Ma_GoGo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Why would you think so? In a BlizzCast Blizzard already mentioned that there won't be any upcoming Warcraft RTS game in the next years.
    It's so obvious that Wc4 will not come out in about at least the next 7-8 years.
    It wouldn't make any sense to build another RTS game when still developing both SC2 add-ons, which will take about 3-4 years (rather 4 as I doubt they'll manage to make each in 3/2 years).
    And even after the release of the last expansion I have my doubts Blizzard will work immediately on a new RTS engine. They'll rather want SC2 to age a bit before they come up with another RTS.

Trust me, there won't be Wc4 in this decade.

19. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Im glad to hear that as I dont wanna buy a game when another new game will come in 3 or 4 years. But who knows, when they make D3, their next game might be War4, I hope not this WoW. But it looks like whether they make war4 or not, there will be lots of WoW editionsn and the brother, mother and uncle of Arthas will come to make sure that Blizzard continue to earn money from their WoW nerds that will also never stop playing that game.

20. Na_Dann_Ma_GoGo

Na_Dann_Ma_GoGo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You sound like one of those mainstream rager that flame WoW for no real reason. I meanwhile, while I dislike RPGs like WoW as it provides Blizzard the money for the other projects ;P

And don't worry Blizzard already has two other projects running with on of them being another mmorpg. They've yet to reveal anything about these though.