1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

WoW is officially DEAD

Discussion in 'World of Warcraft' started by Darklycan51, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Phraz

Phraz

Resources:
    Resources:
    The European community became a suppurating sack of shit thanks to Cataclysm (sure lived up to its name) and that's why I ended up flying off the handle and cancelled my subscription.

The content wasn't all THAT bad though, I liked how the difficulty went through the roof *cough*HC Firelands*cough*

WoW is not dead so long as there are people playing it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  2. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    Chris Metzen itself said that he is amazed just how much story they managed to sell in Wc3.

In TBC they managed to end many story threads, with the death of Illidan, Vashj, Kael, Magtheridon. Currently they also found closure for Maiev it seems, as she never appeared. Than came WotLK, where they killed Anub'Arak and Arthas/The Lich King. And that right there, is 75% of Wc3 story characters.

Who's left? Thrall? Furion? Tyrande? They didn't use Tyrande at all. And all these are do-gooders, they exist only as an answer, a reaction to a threat. They themselves do not lead anything. They themselves do not start anything, they are just reactions to threats. Threat arises, better call Thrall, Furion and Tyrande.

Sure Sylvannas is left, she had some part to play in Cataclysm (Worgen starting area), but that's about it.

I would so much love to see these characters be the actual main characters of the world. See cut-scenes on how these characters change the story. To see their ideals. There is some of this but mostly amongst the characters from outside the Warcraft 3, like Garrosh, Varyan and Rhonin in WotLK. And than the 5 Dragon Aspects in Cataclysm.

I don't think that Deathwing itself was the issue with Cataclysm, but Metzen... no offense... but he is so old in terms of age, he should be so experienced in this...and he is... but when you look at the direction of the Warcraft story, you clearly see anime/manga and soap opera elements. No characters to back up the decisions.

Blizz order of thought about the storyline is "1 + 1 needs to equal to 2, so who do we have? we have thrall + garrosh needs to equal to garrosh warchief... okay... let's change/make both thrall, garrosh and circumstancs in order to make garrosh leader", and this isn't good.

What I would have loved to see is this "1+1 = 2, we have thrall, we have garrosh, we dont change anything about them... they represent certain character types, are they a match in order to make garrosh the warchief? Yes or No?" simple as that.

Two TV shows do this perfectly or almost perfectly in my opinion, and those are 'The Simpsons' and 'Grey's Anatomy'.

And this is what I would have loved from WoW storyline, a clash of characters, of personalities, which produce realistic character goals, ambitions and results. They did that a little with Varimathras, he 'killed' his own brothers, why wouldn't he betray the woman who forced him into it.

But characters just seem a means to an end. And for me characters are the end, and the action, the interaction are means to strengthen the characters themselves, and mature them.

3. chr2

chr2

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    While I agree with many of your points, I still have a few comments to your statement:

You clearly seem to base your arguments on the in-game story of World of Warcraft. What you fail to acknowledge are the books that run alongside the game. Books from which most of the in-game story is based. These books elaborate much on the characters you mentioned. Maiev plays a role in these (following the death of Illidan), and Furion, Tyrande and especially Thrall are usually some of the major protagonists.
    Also, the five dragon aspects were introduced in one of the books that ran alongside WC3.
    With that said, the books aren't all joy and fun. The authors tend to ignore parts of the Warcraft lore, or twist them through their own intepretations, which often leads to interferences or changing of our beloved WC3 lore, which in turn leads to the so-called "retcons". An example of this is Arthas' character in the book "Arthas: Rise of the Lich King". Golden, the author of that book, changed some of Arthas' main characteristics to those of her own interpretation.
    Also, it was through another of these books that Garrosh was chosen Warchief. Surely Blizzard must have made that decision, but the circumstances through which it happened were likely the works of the author.

As a final remark, I definitely agree with you about the direction in which the WoW storyline is heading. It is turning more and more into your average soap opera, which leads to it being predictable and much less exciting.

4. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    First of all, Blizzard are using comic-book rules, which means that what comes later/newer has priority over what was said long time ago. So if they said a certain thing in Wc1, and than in WoW they decided to retconn, the retconn side is now 'lore'.

Second of all, I didn't leave out the books on accident. I know about the books, but you know what, I am a gamer, A GAMER! I want to play through the story, not read it. Sure there is nothing wrong with reading, but I hate it when reading a book is necessary to understand the characters and make them believable.

Because really for me, I don't understand how Illidan gone desperately mad in TBC. I mean the guy lived over 10,000 years, and he fought demons, okay he failed at TFT, but he would have kept his calm, and he was cunning enough to not make mistakes like betraying the Draenei.

5. Teelo

Teelo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    To be fair, all the communities did. Noone wants to clear stuff for fun anymore, they need some big incentive, and they're dicks about it too.

"Oh we wiped? Fuck this I'm leaving, 'ur all dum fks go die i no tim 4 dis'"

6. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow is dead not just cause of lore and community issues. More and more great indie games which are F2P are coming to the scene and some of them just have more to offer. Moreover, Guild Wars 2 simply sealed the deal as it removed subscription fees.

7. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, to be technical a bit, WoW isn't dead as it still has a good subscription base.

Also, to be honest, I've been doing some research lately about MoP. I can't say much about PvP, and story sucks, but in terms of Classes, Specializations and PvE... they are really promising. I think they finally managed to shift from the TBC raiding formula to a different and maybe even better one. TBC raiding was all about team-work and having the required classes/special gear for many fights (Magtheridon, Kael, Illidan) than less individual skill fights (like Archimonde), while with the start of WotLK and Cata they tried to emphasize more on fights like Archimonde... however they didn't really properly succeed I felt, but now... at least the first tier of raiding in MoP looks bad ass.

8. chr2

chr2

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Guild Wars 2 sealed the deal? I beg to differ. GW2 was amazing to begin with, and brought what seemed to be a completely different way of presenting MMOs. After leveling for a while, it got repetitive, even more so than WoW quests, and I learned that their quest-system wasn't different at all, it was only meant to seem that way. Finally, as soon as I hit the cap, there was nothing more to do. No real endgame content, only the same repetitive grinding. That, and PvP of course, which was the only aspect in which GW2 was superior to WoW.

9. Footmanspam

Footmanspam

Resources:
    Resources:
    Pretty sure it will be ghost town due to payment.

10. Footmanspam

Footmanspam

Resources:
    Resources:
    Gallaylas - Moonguard (Fricken Goldshire) Thorning - Moonguard

11. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    there will most likely be another expansion but the big questions is wether there will be strong enough pc to run it.(i had to switch to a new graphics card to run mists of pandaria perfectly.) the pet battles are certainly fun but they should increase the level cap there. they should add more content next time and a higher level cap increase. Illidan was killed by arthas in the frozen throne by being cut in half so world of warcraft have slight differences in story.

12. Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What. Illidan didn't die there...

13. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    illidan was cut in half. nobody survives that.

14. takakenji

takakenji

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    wow lore has a ton of flaws and illogical things and thats undeniable really, i can go on and on about them all. mop isnt bad but cantreverse the damage already done

15. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
  16. PROXY

PROXY

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Illidan survives and Vasj and Kael take him to Outland >.>

17. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm surprised this thread is still alive, anyways everyone knows wow is dead now, i don't think anyone will start playing at mop and the only thing we can expect is hardcore wow players to be leaving wow each month.

18. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    lots of people are still playing world of warcraft but, blizzard have lost a lot of customers to the free servers. (i wont discuss them here though. i dont want any trouble.) blizzard might however have gained customers by offering free accounts where people can play to level 20. that enables people to get multiple level 20 character before they start paying.

19. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sounds like the ambient in The Kingdom of Kaliron community :p

20. Vengeful

Vengeful

Resources:
    Resources:
    No. Its so unlikely.

WoW is not dead and will not as soon as human use computer as a console. maybe cata and Pandarian hadn't pop like wol but eventhough wol will completly make it lover happy.

Even if blizzard crash and dossn't support free servers, WoW will be alive. It have to be!