• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WotLK Lore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I created this thread to address a few things blizz' has done in WotLK with warcraft lore.

A lot of people bitch how you can kill important characteres like illidan' or about other lore flaws blizz' had to make for WoW to be made into an mmorpg. Well I was dissapointed about these things to, but I think blizzard is listening to our lore complaints and making an effort.

Anyone done that sweet ass quest chain in dragonblight? I suggest you do. They made a badass cinematic about saurfangs kid and some ally guy fighting the lich king. It was soooo cool, you see the lich king fucking wreck saurfangs kid, and the forsaken reveal themselves to the scourge after all those years of hiding and go ape shit on the scourge. I was impressed with the effort blizzard put into building the lore in that quest.

And after that it gets cooler.

UC gets taken over by the scourge so you go with thrall, sylvannas and voljin (if you're horde) and take it back. It's cool because you get to see thrall and sylvannas actually fight and at the end thrall fights the king of SW.

I was highly impressed by this and I think blizzard is trying to rebuild its broken lore.

My only complaint is this new king of SW. Where'd he come from? He's obviously not the real king as that would have to be arthas, any insight where he came from?

Share your thoughts on blizzards efforts to build lore in WotLK.

Level 6
My only complaint is this new king of SW. Where'd he come from? He's obviously not the real king as that would have to be arthas, any insight where he came from?
Wrong.
Arthas was the prince (and later, king) of Lordaeron.
Stormwind however, has never been a part of Lordaeron.

Level 7
ok so let me see if I get this.

I always thought arthas' dad was the king of the whole alliance, but he was only king of lodaeron, correct? And now lodaeron is mostly in control of the forsaken, also correct? Anyone wanna explain to me how that happened (the whole forsaken taking over lodaeron thing), I havn't played campaign in over 3 years.

Level 13
ok so let me see if I get this.

I always thought arthas' dad was the king of the whole alliance, but he was only king of lodaeron, correct? And now lodaeron is mostly in control of the forsaken, also correct? Anyone wanna explain to me how that happened (the whole forsaken taking over lodaeron thing), I havn't played campaign in over 3 years.
Arthas kicked out the traitorous Dreadlords out of Lordaeron and left for Northrend, while Sylvanas betrayed Arthas and with the help of Varimathras and some ogres, bandit, etc. took over Lordaeron.

Level 2
Lets see how shortly I can summarize this...
When the highborne - exiled from the night elves for their use of arcane magic - founded their own Kingdom of Quel'thalas (ghostlands and everything north) they were trespassing on sacred ground of the Forest Trolls of the Amani Empire and a war began to break out between the two races. Meanwhile, the Humans also lived nearby, but at this time (about 6000+ years before the Orcs came) they were small divided tribes and they too were having constant trouble with the Trolls. The Chieftain of the Arathi tribe of Humans known as Thoradin realized the humans needed to be united to fight this threat, and founded the Kingdom of Arathor. The King of Quel'thalas, Anasterian Sunstrider (Kael's daddy) decided to form an alliance with the Humans to eliminate the Troll menace and end the war (of which they were actually losing). Together they left the Amani Empire in ruins, and destroyed most of the Troll population. The High Elves owed the Humans a great debt. King Thoradin saw how powerful magic was, and the elves agreed to teach the Humans how to wield it, eventually forming the nation of Dalaran.

Humans flourished and their territory spread until King Thoradin's death, where the Kingdom would be split into seven nations. Lordaeron, Azeroth (present day Stormwind), Dalaran, Kul Tiras, Stromgarde, Gilneas, and Alterac.

When the Orcs arrived on the planet (also called Azeroth), the Kingdom of Azeroth (sorry, confusing?) was destroyed. Prince Varian Wrynn watched them burn the nation to the ground and watched a half-Orc assassin (Garona) whom his father knew as a friend, murder the King. The great knight Sir Lothar led the surviving humans (including Varian) to Lordaeron.

In Lordaeron, Lothar enlisted the aid of King Terenas Menethil (Arthas' daddy) who was greatly concerned about this new threat. King Terenas enlisted the help of the remaining Human Kingdoms who pledged their support. In addition, he also got the aid of the Ironforge Dwarves, the Wildhammer Dwarves, the Gnomes of Gnomeregan, and the High Elves of Quel'thalas (although King Anasterian would only send a small force)... and the Alliance of Lordaeron was formed. Alterac, the weakest of the Human nations, secretly assisted the Orcs in exchange for being left unharmed. The treachery was later discovered and the nation of Stromgarde obliterated Alterac, whose ruins can still be seen today in the Alterac Mountains. In order for the Orcs to achieve the full allegiance of the surviving Forest Trolls, they launched a surprise attack on Quel'thalas. Even though the Elves had not been very helpful in the war thus far, the Alliance came to their aid, and King Anasterian pledged his entire army to the war, which played an enormous role in the defeat of the Horde forces.

The Humans rounded up the surviving Orcs on Azeroth and placed them into internment camps. Orcs that were not caught retreated back through the Dark Portal to Draenor (Outland), where Ner'zhul returned to power and with Grom Hellscream and Kilrogg Deadeye, prepared for a new invasion. The Alliance knew of this and pursued them through the Dark Portal and into Draenor. The Alliance forces in Draenor overwhelmed the Orcs and Ner'zhul, seeking to escape, attempted to open portals to different worlds. The reckless magic tore Draenor apart, and the orcs charged through the Dark portal once again to Azeroth, and relative safety. The Alliance forces in Draenor made the decision to destroy the Dark Portal so that the destruction of draenor wouldn't take Azeroth with it. The explosion of draenor left few survivors, and the remaining fragments of the planet would be renamed Outland.

Post-Second War, the nation of Gilneas (which never really strongly supported the Alliance) created a wall surrounding their kingdom and completely isolating themselves, never to be heard from to this very day. The nation of Stromgarde, similarly, left the Alliance, angered that the Orcs were left alive. The Kingdom of Azeroth (Stormwind) is rebuilt. Ner'zhul, escaping from one of the portals he created on Draenor, is caught by Kil'jaedan who rips his body apart and tortures his spirit until he agrees to aid him again. His soul is bound in a suit of armor and he is encased in ice on Icecrown Glacier, becoming the Lich King. He found a powerful necromancer who would worship and aid him in Kel'thuzad, who began spreading the plague of undeath. From there you probably know the story, Arthas finds Frostmourne willing to bear its curse to save his people, becomes a death knight, kills his father (King Terenas) and destroys Lordaeron, tears through Quel'thalas (The Dead Scar), and returns to Northrend where he merges with the Lich King.

In short, Seven Human Kingdoms = Lordaeron, Azeroth (now Stormwind), Gilneas, Dalaran, Kul Tiras, Stromgarde, Alterac

Present-Day Lordaeron = In ruins/Undercity
Present-Day Azeroth = Stormwind
Present-Day Gilneas = Unknown/Completely Isolated walled-city
Present-Day Dalaran = Rebuilt recently and floating above Northrend
Present-Day Alterac = In ruins (see Alterac Valley)

As for Stromgarde, they re-joined the Alliance prior to WoW, now ruled by Galen Trollbane, and it encompasses all of Arathi Highlands. If you've been there, you can see that it's not doing so well.

Kul Tiras is the nation that Jaina Proudmoore is from. It is currently ruled by her brother, Tandred Proudmoore, and is still a member of the Alliance. Kul Tiras would be a large island off the coast of Eastern Kingdoms but it doesn't appear on the map and isn't currently accessible in WoW, though Horde players can attack their settlement of Tiragarde Keep in Durotar.

Theramore is ruled by Jaina Proudmoore and is mostly independent of Kul Tiras. It did not exist before Warcraft 3.

As for Varian Wrynn.. he is the son of King Llane Wrynn who ruled during Warcraft 1. Varian is the main character in Wildstorm's "World of Warcraft" comic book series, which is entirely canonical. He was trained in combat by the legendary Anduin Lothar and the Dwarf Hjalmar Anvilmar. He was also apparently best friends with Arthas Menethil (which is probably going to get played out in WoW later on..) when they were younger and great friends with Bolvar Fordragon. He is the father of Anduin Wrynn. His wife is dead and he is a very badass fighter. He has a strong dislike of Orcs after witnessing them raid and burn Stormwind as a child, and seeing his father murdered, and later (with amnesia) is forced into being a gladiator in Orc/Ogre arenas where he earns the Orcish name of "Lo'Gosh" (Spirit Wolf), which references an ancient Orc legend that is kind of similar to Malorne. Because he was forced to live in Orgrimmar and around other Orcs, he appears to know Orcish fluently and knows the inner workings of the Horde very well, which makes him extremely dangerous to the Horde. He has visited Thunder Bluff as well, where the Arch-Druid Hamuul Runetotem seemed to surreptitiously help him escape. From his gladiator days, he has made friends with the Night Elf druid Broll Bearmantle and the Blood Elf rogue Valeera Sanguinar who have become permanent members of the Alliance in Stormwind. Also with the aid of Broll, Valeera, Jaina Proudmoore, and a Dwarven warrior named Thargas Anvilmar, he killed the Black Dragon Onyxia, who had been manipulating things behind the scenes under the guise of Lady Katrana Prestor. He is currently very pissed off about Bolvar's death, skirmishes between alliance and horde in Northrend and blames Thrall for not keeping a tighter leash on his allies. His swords are named Shalla'tor and Ellemayne meaning Shadow Render and Reaver in Darnassian.

So no, he didn't come out of nowhere, WoW just neglected to really handle his story. He is mentioned in every Warcraft game, though WoW is his first appearance in one. The quest chain "The Missing Diplomat" in WoW covers his abduction but ends without a real resolution. The World of Warcraft comic explains all that has happened up to his return to Stormwind a few issues ago, and is pressing forward into recent developments and future storylines.

Level 16
Ya think some one would figure out Onyxia was Katran Prestor. I mean like come on you would notice she is really the one who is in charge controlling the Young king.

Level 12
:O

Where do I get the quest?

The chain quest to unveil Onyxia's true identity? If so, unfortunatly, I believe the quest has been removed since WotLK because the King Wrynn is back in action and Katrana is nowhere to be found.

This was a real dissapointment to me that has started playing not so long ago, as is the Ahn'Qiraj event. I guess I should've started when the game came instead of now.

Also there are quests that point to that the king has been captured by the Defias under Onyxia's guidance in dustwallow but it don't lead anywhere after you know that the king was the important passanger and has been captured. Even so, I enyoj these quests more than others because they tell the story much better.

Level 17
The Alliance 'guy' that was slaughtered by High Apocethary Putress and the 'New Plague' was Highlord Bolvar Fordragon.

And the Scourge did not take over the Undercity. There were always two factions within the Forsaken. The ones that followed Sylvanas and the ones who followed Varimthiras. When Sylvanas left, Varimthiras took charge and that is why Orgrimmar is crawling with Forsaken refugees.

And Arthas has never ruled anything but the Scourge. He was prince when the plague of undeath started in Lordaeron. Terenas Menethil ruled Lordaeron (obviously) while King Varian Wyrnn (once Arthas' best friend) ruled the Kingdom of Azeroth. When Varian set off for an Alliance/Horde conference, his ship was ambushed and he was taken to Alcaz Island where Onyxia duplicated him. One of the duplicates became Lo'Gosh whereas the other became Onyxia's (Katrana) puppet in Stormwind.

Status
Not open for further replies.