• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Discussion] Would you be interested in working in a community project?

Would you be interested in working on the game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
lol what do you agree on making?^^
The side scrolling RPG idea has only been up for what...30h or smth? And i haven't seen too many ppl giving their consent on going with the murloc theme :p
Idk if everyone wants this idea, i like it, but i can't contribute with any practical skills like spells, modeling, animation etc. only thing i got is a head full of too many ideas so ofc i wont carry any weight when it comes to making the descisions^^
The most important descision is what type of game u'll be making so it's normal for it to take some time to descide, come with ur thoughts, lets see what others think about it and then see if it's the project most ppl would like to participate in :)
Can't just jump into it hehe, fitting that statheras' monitor is fucked for 4 days or so, that gives you kind of a deadline to when a descision should have been made and the concept begun to take form ;)

Level 28
Hmm.. well ok, I'll... I'll try to make a concept for the character - but... a murloc, a cow hero with lasers on it's back or a manly knight - what should it be?

And, will the game be serious or something more like JazzJackrabbit?

add:.. a deadline yes. Ok so, 4 days to decide :\ that seems like a nice idea - someone has to make a poll though.

Level 11
Hmm.. well ok, I'll... I'll try to make a concept for the character - but... a murloc, a cow hero with lasers on it's back or a manly knight - what should it be?

add:.. a deadline yes. Ok so, 4 days to decide :\ that seems like a nice idea - someone has to make a poll though.

serious ofc. there can be something funny like some funny words etc but not too much it should be serious...

Level 12
"how does unity work?"

I am not highly experienced in unity, but I have explored around in it.

Unity - A Development studio, for games, you can script, use c# code, use java code. all at the same time. its pretty powerful. mostly designed for 3d is my impression but would work 2d.

Plus - Highly Supported, Widely used, Portable to nearly any device, or phone.

Minus - Although there is a powerful free addition, if you want to port to more devices, it is quite costy.

Level 11

how about a dwarf?

Level 6
Anyone here heard about Unreal Engine 4?
Seems almost too good to be true, but i just downloaded it and about to check it out now, hope i figure out how to use it quickly :p
Think if we all like took some time and read some basic tutorials, and we made a really fucking epic game!^^
Idk i just got the feeling it's very userfriendly and probably easy to learn, i can't wait to check this thing out! :D
Hope my laptop can take it xP
It fulfills the min specs, but if u read a little longer down there i think i'd need a bit more RAM to get this working perfectly, so that might be an issue

Anyways i just thought it'd be worth sharing here incase not everyone had seen it before, first time i see this, but i haven't rly been searching for game engines before though :p
It seem rly fucking awesome, as i said almost too good to be true! :D

This seems really usefull Design workflow, everyone should probably check that out, even if we don't descide to use this engine it seems just helpfull in general for structuring the start of a project like this :)

Okay i'm too tired to start learning this right now, but it looks sick! You should try it, i didn't set up a server, but i installed that other visual thing, not quite sure what it was^^
Anyways it seems very userfriendly, probably not that much harder to learn than unity i bet, but i've never tried unity either, gonna check that out too now ;P

Last edited:
Level 12
How are you planning on Planning out the project?
something like this? I rushed this, but my point is this is a simple project, and it should be expanded out, about 2-3x as much to fill in details.

now if it takes someone more or less then the value, then that's to bad. they get the value period.

This value, would represent how much they did in the project, so when pay comes each month, they would get a part of what's left after overhead.

Example: Tic Tac Toe - Hawaii Themed 10 Hour Project
(Made for Windows Phone Sliverlight)

-
Code:
 Create Tic Tac Toe, In C#, Playable by 2 players, in console. Inputs ,0-8, Prompt again if invalid input, If win or tie, show result.
 (No PreReq)(Value 1 Hour)

- [Code] Create AI, 3 Modes ,Easy, Normal, Hard. Easy needs to always try to lose, Normal needs to play randomly, Hard needs to play the smartest move possible.
 (Code Pre Req)((Value 1 Hour)

- [Silverlight UI] Create Main Menu, Single Player, Two Player, and a exit button. Create Menu for single player, showing Easy, Medium, or hard mode, and a back button.

- [Art] The Board, X, O, You Win, You Lose images. 

- [Music] Menu Music, and playing game Music. (These are background music, they will be played low and shouldn't disturb players thinking).

- [Sound Effects] When a X, or O is placed, a single sound effect, When a player attempts to place a X, or O But cant, due to a X, Or O already being there, A sound effect to let them know they made in error. 

- [Silverlight UI] Create page for a board, that will send the commands to the back end code, when playing. When a player wins or loses, show in large text with a visual effect. Prompt, Play again, or return to main menu. also have a back button on the page while there playing, that will return them to the start page. Use sound effects, images, and music as needed. Add Adds into program.
 (Many Pre Reqs, all above)(Value 2 Hour)

- [Testing] Test Project, for any errors, if so report. If in issue is due to the person who did it, then they need to fix, no addition value added to them. If its a overall design flaw, and they did there job to specs, Then add new task, with the change required.
(Many Pre Reqs, All Above)(Value 2 Hour)

[U]Project Requirements to be successful[/U]

If 10 Dollars per hour is made per person in the life time of the project is considered a success.
Thus 100 Dollars, as its 10 hours, and no over head (assuming no updates required).

How many plays will it take to achieve goal? 
How Long will it take to achieve the goal?

Last edited:
Level 28
Level 11
So... more like this:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2..._sword_3_____wallpaper_by_ratrien-d57ddzv.jpg

or that http://www.google.bg/imgres?hl=bg&t...bnh=186&tbnw=248&start=0&ndsp=21&tx=132&ty=72

or something serious like Skyrim, but in 2d?

--->DwarfBoy, a dwarf xD well.. hmm.. I don't know. You could dig, it would be cool. Hmm.. but aa... a dwarf is a bit, I don't know, strange. You could dig specific types of blocks in the game or something like that... hmm.

About the serious thing check on google: Murloc RPG. if we want to make RPG

Edit: i thought i can help in coding but im learning C++ so i dont know C# dunno how similar they are.

Level 30
OK, If we are going on a Murloc RPG based game. How about I, Hell Master, share my own ideas on what the game Ive think of.

Story:
"...A human wearing ragged and torned clothes waked up on a forest, not knowing why he is there. Only one and only one thing he remembered, about a great Magician telling him of something.... and the other events became blurry and distorted on his mind. The human started to walk to find the way out of the forest where he is spawned.

Who is this great Magician? Is he someone that is needed to be find out first before anything else?"

Gameplay:
"... Like Murloc RPG, but here your character is a human summoned by someone to save the unknown realm where he is standing right now. As the game progresses, the human will found out the person who summoned him to engage on this perilous quest and also the real enemy that terrorizes the realm he is standing."

Character:
The main Character as we all know, the human in the story that goes by the name of Logan. At the start of the game, he doesn't know his name even anything about himself and he will discover them all as the story of the game progresses.

And for the Main Enemy of the story, he is known by the title given to him, the Dark Lord. He is a corrupted Archmage or more of a Necromancer that possess a powerful weapon. In the story, he is an enemy that in the first hides his presence to all humankind but is already making a plan of destroying the Human Realm and it is up to Logan to stop him.

Ok, that's all! Im still planning of a very good title for this idea Im coming up.

There, that's my idea of my game! Might add more such as what is the character of this game when I find the time... for now, Im that busy and I just find this good opportunity to share this.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Some of you people should have played more games instead of studying for your exams as those ideas are lame! (this is a joke, please do not take seriously)

The storyline focuses on an evil empire that is trying to take over the world(s) with ruthless force and oppresses those it conquers. Each of the heroes the player can choose has a personal vendeta against the evil empire, the reason varies based on chosen hero type. The hero starts out hindering the evil empire, grows in strength and starts liberating lands. Eventually he grows strong enough to attack the evil palace, where he defeats the evil empire and so saves the world. Each hero type has a different ending that reflects on his origin story and what his future holds.

It is no Final Fantasy (those writers are just too good) but more than enough to work with. You can bring in a lot of emotion into the details of the storyline. It is also awesome enough that you will not feel embarrassed playing it.

For an example class type I give you the Cyborg (idea mentioned earlier but rehashed for this).

Many humans believed that technology was the key to enlightenment. In time they began to shun the use of technology for hostile purposes as they realised that such purposes could only lead to their downfall. Thus began an age of peace for these humans as they formed treaties with lesser civilizations. Even though many of these civilizations did not share the same peaceful views, they either valued the treaties too much to attack or were deterred by the consequences from those who held treaties. The peace lasted for hundreds of years until the formation of the evil empire.

The evil empire was formed from many smaller civilizations who became united. Once peaceful civilizations became militarised and a huge army was formed. Seeing the peaceful humans as a source of unimaginable destructive technology they tried to force the humans into producing military technology through diplomacy. As the humans refused to such conditions, their greed drove them into attacking the peaceful humans. Those who the peaceful humans normally relied on for protection were mostly part of the evil empire or were too frightened to lend aid. Even when faced with unprecedented military might the humans still refused their demands. This lead to a huge massacre and the destruction of many settlements in a desperate act to force the humans into doing their bidding.

One of these people, the hero, was a adult going about his everyday life when the evil empire started attacking everyone. When trying to flee he was mortally wounded and left to die on the streets. A group of people who were trying to flee saw he was still alive and took him with them. In a makeshift shelter away from the fighting they fix his injuries as best they could with the robotic parts they had available to them. When the hero wakes he realises that everyone he knew must be dead and everything he had was gone. Swearing revenge against the evil empire for what they had done, are doing and will do unless stopped he decides to take matters into his own hands. The very technology their greed wanted would be used to seal their downfall as he will turn himself into a machine of death and destruction.

As far as character design goes, he starts off looking very much human with only some parts replaced with machines (hand being an example). As you progress more of him is replaced by machines. Ultimately he looks entirely mechanical with no visible human parts. The final look should be very much like Iron Man/War Machine from the Marvel comic/movie series.

The ending would focus on how he is proof that such destructive technology should never be made. Concerned that his presence will force more people into seeking such technology he exiles himself. However he promises to return if people ever forget how dangerous such technology is to put things right.

This was an example of a single character lore. Other humans or even non humans could be added as long as they are deep enough.

I will post more detailed game play some other time.

Bored, decided to try to mock up dsg's concept
just a W.I.P.

but that's what i can picture as the basic level

Attachments

• Cyborg.jpg
    Cyborg.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 55

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I ran out of time to post the gameplay part lol...

The game would play as a side scrolling action RPG. The style would largely be taken from Castlevania, where you are a reawsonably sized character that can use abilities to damage foes of varying sizes. The difference would be a focus on range combat rather than melee where you use your mouse to target and wasd keys to move. You have a total of 5 actions available to you where are spam, power, nuke, defense and offense which are mapped to the lmb, rmb, mmb, q and e keys. There is also block which places your character in a defensive position to take less damage but that is always mapped to space. There are two resources, spam which regenerates quickly and ammo which drops sometimes. Some form of skill system should eventually be added but can be ignored at the start.

The following skills are detailed.
Spam - LMB: Cheap resource attack that is often channelable.
Power - RMB: Expensive resource attack that is used when more firepower is required.
Nuke - MMB: Ammo using attack that has slow attack rate but deals high damage.
Defense - q: Provides some defensive advantage at the cost of resources.
Offense - e: Provides some offensive advantage at the cost of resources.

Gameplay would be broken into large maps that have objectives to be completed. Each map represents some events in the storyline and contains a central nexus room which is used to warp (via a ship) to other maps. The entire map is continious (no room like section changes) to give a feeling of scale. There will obviously be 1-2 bosses per map which are very strong and often very large. Due to the size of the maps, there will be shortcut (warp rooms) back to the central nexus room.

Enemies spawn from spawn points that are triggered when a player gets near. Some element of randomness is used so not all spawn points spawn all the time. Areas may also be given a random "flavour" when first entered which causes certain spawn types over others. Enemies do not respawn but some spawn points can be triggered again once the player has traversed a sufficient distance. A possible idea are ambush points which are when spawning is delayed until a player is in a certain area allowing him to be surrounded.

Enemeies have prety basic AI which involves them trying to attack you and chase you when possible. Enemies usually have only 1 or 2 abilities which they spam against you.

The cyborg class would focus on high physical damage but be incapable of dealing magical damage and also be weak to magic damage. Among his capabilities at higher levels of progress would be flight, where jumping (w) will allow you to gain altitude when held. Some example abilities...
Spam - Arm Laser: Fires a continious beam damaging all enemies it touches.
Power - Plasma Cannon: Fires a penetrating blast of plasma that pierces enemies dealing high damage.
Nuke - Missile Barrage: Fires a volly of missiles that automaticly home in on targets for high damage.
Defensive - Force Field: Converts physical damage taken to energy (spamable resource).
Offensive - Autoturret: Shoulder mounted autogun automaticly fires at enemies in range draining ammo.

The idea would be to make the skills "cool" to use. You could have the cyborg using a lightsaber as one possible skill that could block incomming range attacks. A nuke skill might pull out a huge cannon to shoot enemies with.

[19-53-25] Statharas: So I go in the shop
[19-53-30] Statharas: To check on my laptop
[19-53-43] Statharas: the repair guy tells me that the laptop needs its monitor replaced most likely
[19-53-49] Statharas: something which will cost 150 euros
[19-54-04] Statharas: so i look at his face and he starts telling me how i should buy a new one instead
[19-54-05] Statharas: i am like
[19-54-07] Statharas: Dafuq.
[19-54-40] Dr Super Good: Statharas, laptops suck lol
[19-54-40] Statharas: So basically, he told me how the problem was the exact same i told him it was, with the cable
[19-54-54] Statharas: And I paid 15 euros for basically nothing
[19-55-05] Statharas: At that point, i said fuck it
[19-55-16] Statharas: I'd rather buy a new one from a better shop this summer
[19-55-21] Statharas: i am going to work to gather the money
[19-55-28] Statharas: so i am stuck without a computer for now

Welp

Level 9
A lot of negative... Maybe he is creative :) we will see though we can search and see if its really creative or copy

Edit: Btw we need Sound though i think he is the first one to say about that role.

I insulted Moderators a while ago... that would explain The reputation.
I Made Several WC3 Maps. [The Blue / Champion Maze / Escape Escape / Drift King / The Italian Maze / 2009 Polar Escape / ETC]
I Run A StreeT MovemenT Influenced By Music.
+ Here are some of my Design Works (Not All Ofc)
Coorperate ART

Level 30
Just to update my post for this one: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2287994-post216.html

Character:
The main Character as we all know, the human in the story that goes by the name of Logan. At the start of the game, he doesn't know his name even anything about himself and he will discover them all as the story of the game progresses.

And for the Main Enemy of the story, he is known by the title given to him, the Dark Lord. He is a corrupted Archmage or more of a Necromancer that possess a powerful weapon. In the story, he is an enemy that in the first hides his presence to all humankind but is already making a plan of destroying the Human Realm and it is up to Logan to stop him.

Ok, that's all! Im still planning of a very good title for this idea Im coming up.

Level 19
Say, don't we all love the Mario universe? It never gets old, and you can always come back to it recognizing all the characters and places and items etc etc etc.

I'm just saying this now that you are still in the planning process, because creating a world with a hero, starting out as a nothing but a goodwilled swordsman, who fights an evil superpowerful mastermind wanting world domination, is kinda mainstream isn't it?
I mean, we could have unique characters like those in Mario that everybody would love, and still run an epic storyline - food for thought :b

By the way, I'm in for concept arts :)

Level 30
Say, don't we all love the Mario universe? It never gets old, and you can always come back to it recognizing all the characters and places and items etc etc etc.

I'm just saying this now that you are still in the planning process, because creating a world with a hero, starting out as a nothing but a goodwilled swordsman, who fights an evil superpowerful mastermind wanting world domination, is kinda mainstream isn't it?
I mean, we could have unique characters like those in Mario that everybody would love, and still run an epic storyline - food for thought :b

By the way, I'm in for concept arts :)

Hmmm... Mario... kinda childish but I really love some Mario games because its epic.

Level 6
How about making something simple and use the movement from meatboy for getting around?
The model could be an octopus and with the gimmick that it's be able to stretch it arms to grab stuff and hit enemies, upgrading it as you play making it bigger and have more arms.
The bigger it gets the more HP it gets and dmg it deals, you increase ur HP by grabbing and eating stuff.
Left click is to grab/hit stuff and right click is to let go of stuff, space is to jump and arrow keys to move.
Could make use of up/down arrowkey for something aswell, maybe to move up/down a wall when you have grabbed a hold of something.

Could maybe add some type of mana to it which it can use to cast special abilities such as "Pierce" which is an offensive attack where you make one of ur arms rly thin and hard and it will go through whatever monster that comes in it's way(possible to one-hit-kill several enemies at a time and deal extra dmg to bosses)
Or "Feed" which grabs and pulls an enemy towards you and you crush it with all ur arms before eating it and regaining HP, the bigger and more arms your octopus got the bigger monsters you can feed on, if you try to grab a monster thats too big you lose a small amount of HP and the monster is left stunned for a couple of seconds or smth.
Maybe something like "Double smash" which allows ur octopus to use 2 arms in the same attack against a monster, if it does not kill the monster atleast it will be left stunned for a few seconds
"Ink squirt" could be a skill with multiple uses,could be used for blocking enemies by squirting on the ground making it unwalkable and a second use could be to shoot at your enemy blinding them/stunning them for a few seconds and a third use could be to stick stuff to the walls so you can grab a hold of it when moving from one place to another

The arms could be made individually controllable so you use like 1 arm to hold urself to a wall/ceiling that has something you can grab a hold of and a 2nd arm to grab and hold a lever or something while using a 3rd arm to hit some enemies who's coming to get ya.
Ofcourse we should make mission objectives where you have to make use of a certain amount of arms, the lvl's could be timed and score depend on time, stuff picked up, enemies killed and HP lost, to make it addictive as hell we add a star system where you need to get atleast 1 star to make it to the next lvl and if you get 3 stars in all the lvls in one world you get a new, supercool and huuuge lvl with some special stuff :p
The lvls could be made to fit like 3 worlds at start with 10 lvls each for start and if you wanna keep adding to the game you'll just add more worlds ;)

Well this was just a quick idea that grew while i was writing, i just wanted to share it before i forget it :p

Level 6
I think the problem is that it's so hard to descide on what direction to take, what genre to create and what theme we'll be going for :p

I say "we" eventhough i'm only able to contribute with ideas and testing, hope noone takes it the wrong way, i don't expect to be a big part of any descision makings, i can just spew out ideas and it's up to the skilled ppl here to say if it's doable/interesting or not ;)

Level 19
I'm still thinking a game with a Mario-like atmosphere would be best - The gameplay is another thing, but characters, storylines and scenarios that reflects the Mario universe would be lovely for most people - of course it's just a suggestion, but personally I've just seen enough of the typical RPGs filled with stories that, in a way, all are alike :)
Couldn't the storyline be something that symbolizes us, as Hivers, since it's our community who's going to work on it. Where the villain is an evil fat bee-man or something :b

Level 21
I'm still thinking a game with a Mario-like atmosphere would be best - The gameplay is another thing, but characters, storylines and scenarios that reflects the Mario universe would be lovely for most people - of course it's just a suggestion, but personally I've just seen enough of the typical RPGs filled with stories that, in a way, all are alike :)
Couldn't the storyline be something that symbolizes us, as Hivers, since it's our community who's going to work on it. Where the villain is an evil fat bee-man or something :b

More like a bear, as we are the hive and the hive works together.

Status
Not open for further replies.