• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Discussion] Would you be interested in working in a community project?

Would you be interested in working on the game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
what would you put a item shop in a game? if u really wanted possible you could pay for custom skins? item shops annoy me lol.

Dr Super Good, I don't think I can convince you with what ever I say. At these early stages story writing or character development doesn't matter, but later it will make a more impact not just on the game, but the team as well.
Non p2w item shop.

Level 7
It's okay morbent I was just shocked at you keyboard D:

I'd have to go with a wc3 style RTS or similar.

I could help with anything involving story, characters, creatures, spell ideas, unit ideas or 2D art (I'm not very good and I am sill learning hehe :p). I can try to learn new areas, and I will be in near the future but I wouldn't be skilled enough to help.

Sadly it does seem like a lot of what people can do is what we already have, but I am sure if we give this time more people with experience in other areas will join in.

Level 28
Well. I can ive you 90% of te list now:

Concept art: 3-4 people.
Ideas: all of us, around 12 people
Story: 1-2 people
Models: 0
Codes: 1 (tat be Stat)
Art: 2-4 people

at least tat wat I remember from wat all people said in te discussion from before. Not muc Id say. Im sure tat modelers will join wen we actually make sometin. Until ten we can use differently colored cubes for units xD

And, lets just o for an RTS. Less Warcraft 3 style, more SC2&AOE style. Tere are MANY reasons wy te RTS would be easier tan an RP (not easy, easier DR SUPER OOD :)

Fantasy or not?
3 races or more? ow many if more? 4? 5? 6? 20 wic are alike?
if its fantasy wat will te races be? Some new races never seen before or sometin like Demons, Dwarves, Elves. Etc.
If Demons, Dwarves, Elves, umans, etc. - te tipical ones or some more strane? Like a _ray demon wic totally doesnt look like a demon but more like an alien but as SOME demon caracteristics (I can ive a concept of tat xD, cuz it mit sound stupid and ard to iamine)
Also - ow many resource types - like IN eroes 3 Mit and Maic - 10 resources (tat would be cool, unique and awesome) or more like war3 - 3 types of resources, or like 5-6 resources?

Id o for 3-5 races, eac wit unique stuff, many models to make it really cool, Fantasy wit te Unique not seen races before but wit elements of te known races like dwarves, umans etc, since people need some reality. You cant draw a circle and say tat an alien. It as to umanoid so tat it can look cool. And of course, were to witout umans? And it would be rEeaaaally cool to ave like 12 types of resources - sulfur, old, lumber, stone, iron, silver, etc. It would be interestin and I doubt it will be stupid. I mean, it CAN be cool. You dont need to ave like 12 types of different mines, you can ave like a Mine were you ater old,silver,sulfur,stone / lumber ofc / food (ouses and farms ofc) / _ems are atered wit tradin, etc. It would be unique and interestin, in my opinion. But tats only my point of view, ive some suestions :\

Level 11
Well. I can ive you 90% of te list now:

Concept art: 3-4 people.
Ideas: all of us, around 12 people
Story: 1-2 people
Models: 0
Art: 2-4 people

at least tat wat I remember from wat all people said in te discussion from before. Not muc Id say. Im sure tat modelers will join wen we actually make sometin. Until ten we can use differently colored cubes for units xD

And, lets just o for an RTS. Less Warcraft 3 style, more SC2&AOE style. Tere are MANY reasons wy te RTS would be easier tan an RP (not easy, easier DR SUPER OOD :)

Fantasy or not?
3 races or more? ow many if more? 4? 5? 6? 20 wic are alike?
if its fantasy wat will te races be? Some new races never seen before or sometin like Demons, Dwarves, Elves. Etc.
If Demons, Dwarves, Elves, umans, etc. - te tipical ones or some more strane? Like a _ray demon wic totally doesnt look like a demon but more like an alien but as SOME demon caracteristics (I can ive a concept of tat xD, cuz it mit sound stupid and ard to iamine)
Also - ow many resource types - like IN eroes 3 Mit and Maic - 10 resources (tat would be cool, unique and awesome) or more like war3 - 3 types of resources, or like 5-6 resources?

Id o for 3-5 races, eac wit unique stuff, many models to make it really cool, Fantasy wit te Unique not seen races before but wit elements of te known races like dwarves, umans etc, since people need some reality. You cant draw a circle and say tat an alien. It as to umanoid so tat it can look cool. And of course, were to witout umans? And it would be rEeaaaally cool to ave like 12 types of resources - sulfur, old, lumber, stone, iron, silver, etc. It would be interestin and I doubt it will be stupid. I mean, it CAN be cool. You dont need to ave like 12 types of different mines, you can ave like a Mine were you ater old,silver,sulfur,stone / lumber ofc / food (ouses and farms ofc) / _ems are atered wit tradin, etc. It would be unique and interestin, in my opinion. But tats only my point of view, ive some suestions :\

Lol ok but making the real names next to the position not just numbers

exact how much people and which position we have. Also new thread with the list and maybe there we can talk about the genre of the game.

Level 5
I could help with anything involving story, characters, creatures, spell ideas, unit ideas or 2D art (I'm not very good and I am sill learning hehe :p). I can try to learn new areas, and I will be in near the future but I wouldn't be skilled enough to help.

Sadly it does seem like a lot of what people can do is what we already have, but I am sure if we give this time more people with experience in other areas will join in.

Sadly that's all I could help, too. But I'm more than willing to work on the project.

Unity seems like a good enough engine. We gotta stick to our strenghts; if Unity is what everyone is more familiar with, let's use it.

Level 28
O. We really need to enter te cat (I mean c_at) all at one time and discuss it tere. its way to slow ere... maybe make a Skype Conversation? No, tat would be stupid, not everyone as skype. Anyway... I dont know te names, I mean I otta ceck em to tell you, te numbers are enou for now :)

... story, characters, creatures, spell ideas, unit ideas or 2D art... Dzerpic .. tats quite enou :D

Please tell me youre ood at makin te story since we dont ave many people on tat one.

I doubt tere will be spells Jackamme, cuz.. spells. I mean mm... tey will, as I said before, make te ame arder to make. Probably some minor spells like sield and etc.

Level 28
In my mind, I have an MMORPG style, since many people on the hive love RPGs. It would, of course, be F2P, and a cash shop would be put up where you can purchase things like vanity items (No pay2win), for example, a witch hat.

The initial funds received from the cash shop (unless we somehow find funds) would be used to host the game on a server, percentages would be split across people (unless they chose not to receive money for their work), but 50% of the money would be directed towards the Hive, for the hosting.

O, NFWar is tis wy you wanted to it to ave donations.. mm. Yes, suc donations are acceptable, but I dont like te idea of Item wic ives stats, etc. donations. But if its an RTS wat kind of donations ten :?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is. It costs money.
Just like the web server that hosts HiveWorkshop.

No, it's because Diablo 3 is childish, LoL style looking, bright, that dark atmosphere of Diablo 1 and 2 isn't there and it's really easy.
It is easy yet people still struggle to get to 60 in hardcore.

have you even played them :?
Yes, I made 2 Diablo II accounts full of >80 classes and own 10 level 60s in Diablo III. Diablo III is a great game, just as we age our expectations increase so games that were fun when we were kids start to seem simple and boring.

Well, what are you :p?
I am going to have an electronic and software engineering degree by the end of the year. Yes I do not have one right at the moment but I have mostly learnt everything for one at this stage. I can program, fairly easilly and in a variety of languages.

Maybe... he just... looks only on the Dark side of things rather than the Bright one.
I am trying to keep this real, otherwise it will spiral in one big bloom of hype for the next month or two before dying in a pool of broken promises and forgoteness. I have seen this happen to so many projects and am using my experience to try and help this succeed.

what would you put a item shop in a game? if u really wanted possible you could pay for custom skins? item shops annoy me lol.
They are called "micro transactions" and professionals speculate that they are the future of gaming. Yes people do pay for this sort of thing. Recently someone used DotA2 skins in a trade to buy a copy of WarCraft III and its expansion.

At these early stages story writing or character development doesn't matter, but later it will make a more impact not just on the game, but the team as well.
I know that, but the fact remains that it is still a very easy task and 90% of applicants seem to be applying for that position. I could probably come up with a good-enough story line and I only have middle high-school English qualifications (which are nothing to brag about, I did not even do well in them). Sure, I may never beat the makers of final fantasy when it comes to new ideas or the complexity of comic-boock writers, but do games focusing on multiplayer need that?

Diablo style ame. Well problem is tat we already ave toooooo many - Toclit 1 and 2, Titan quest, Diablo 1 2 3. And tese ames are really ood, I doubt we can create better ones... well, we CAN create a better one tan Diablo 3 it really sucked. Well, te art and te codin of our ame wont be tat ood tou.
I will give you ideas for a unique one, feel free to comment or use if you wish.

You take the Diablo III skill system foundations but combine it with skill trees so each skill has a unique tree. Each skill slot also is allocated a permanet role type which changes what skill nodes on the tree are available. As you level up, the number of points allocated to a slot/skill increases allowing you to unlock more nodes. Some nodes change the skill drasticly (but usually cost more). Items may also award points to skills allowing more nodes to be unlocked.

For example a cyborg class might have a skill "Photon Cannon".
If put in the combat slot you could have access to nodes that change the skill to fire a continious barrage of pulses very cheaply that deal damage like a mahcine gun.
If put in the support slot you could unlock "Blinding Intensity" flooding a large part of the screen in white causing enemies to miss most attacks for a while.
If put int the ultimate slot you could unlock "Doomsday Laser" which gives the skill a cooldown and high cost but causes it to fire a blast of very high damage in a huge area.

As for a story line that is unique... Science fiction with fantasy elements is the way to go as that is something the 3 have not done. Neither Torchlight, Diablo or Path of Exile have good science fiction in them.

You dont necessarily need Caracter Development or First person or Tird person camera. Not all ames ave to ave tese 2 tins to be cool. Republic Commando as no Caracter Development and its still AN AMAZIN AME.
You still need good reasoning behind it. You cannot have a primitive race suddenly building some sort of alien-like space craft.

I just loooooove buildin walls and towers and playin wit my friend, defendin vs say, 3 ardest (power level) bots.
I agree that compstomps are fun, just in professional level play you seldom see towers being used as such. In age of empires it revolves around trash spam and counters of such varients. The norm for age of empires was to hit 120 workers and spam down your opponent with troops. If you build towers or defenses they send siege weapons with or change their spam composition to compensate.

Most people hate defense orientated games as they are too slow. If you want one, you need to give a good reason to defend. Age of Empires had this to some extent with wonder victory but even then it was usually a better idea to destroy the opponent base rather. Can you come up with a better reason to defend?

200 units vs 200 units is fuckin epic.
No one ever did that outside of agreed duals as you would be long dead before then. The normal was 90-120 workers with 80 spam pop that you keep constatly built. If you had more than 80 pop worth of combat units in Age of Empires II people would laugh that you have not used them yet. 200 units at any time is worth nothing if you turn out 80 units every minute.

idin beind your epic fortress wit 1000 units, wen 6000 are attackin you. And te models dont ave to be _i__ poly. Wic makes te ame easier to make.
Personal Computers are not capable of that many combat units at any detail. Even in WarCraft III and StarCraft II you struggle to not have performance problems with 200+ units in combat at the same time. Age of Empires 2 and other old RTS games probably allow that but they have poor pathing systems, simple graphics and were designed for performance (with most of their engine being writen in X86 assembly).

And, ow can an RP_ make money from item sop? I mean, people otta first et te RP_ ame and te item sop would only ruin tis ame. And te ame wont even be tat ood. And people dont like donaters in ames. I mean, its unfair, since not everyone as some *spare c_an_e* to pay for teir ame. People want balanced and cool ames, were you can et to first place even witout donatin. Donatin (if you really want us to ave suc a tin) can be of te sort... mm, Custom UI, Custom Skins for units, etc. But no bonus stats and suc. And tats more possible in an RTS, since .. a custom skin in an RP_? Tat would be strane.
An example of an item for an RTS game would be disco costumes for trash infantry. Instead of their normal looks you can make all your infantry look like they are in disco clothing to all players in your sessions.

This obviously required DRM of some kind.

Guys first we need to decide engine, than we need to decide what type of game about RTS etc... than we think about the shop.
There is no engine, design one and make one. Not like making a game engine is diffuclt as long as you obey normal software development practies (or so the theory goes).

Please fix your keyboard or revise your posts. It is not like writing ink, nothing stops you correcting mistakes.

First i think we need a list and to see what are we missing before even talking about project. So i guess someone can make a list with position than hive name
This thread is for ideas.

Statharas since you started the thread can you make a list and post it in the first post with every position like this:
Because you actually have no one to do most of the positions? It would be like...
Programmers: NONE
3D Artists: NONE
2D Artists: some
Story and Lore: a lot

Until some form of director and stroy line is decided, you can forget getting anyone with the nescescary professional skills. I certainly will not join until some reasonable idea of the game is produced.

I thought he was more a 3D Artist? I do not recall him being a skilled coder (feel free to state otherwise as I am not you).

Until you understand software development you are in no position to state how easy or difficult something is. I would say RTS, RPG or FPS are all equally difficult to make in this day and age. Sure if you made an RTS like WC1 or a RPG like those old text based ones or even a FPS like doom it is quite easy but those are very old (20 years or more).

Why not read the director commentary made by many RTS developers? They find 2 to be the optimum for high speed competitive RTS games (as Blizzard has proved). 4 does work as Age of Empires proved but in the end it broke down into 3 or even 2 economicly late game (food was made from wood with farms and stone was only used in defenses).

Let me put this in perspective...
SC1/2
Trash -> Minerals
Special -> Gas
Defense -> not meant to defend

AoE
Trash -> both Wood and Food who became highly abundant
Special -> Gold
Defense -> Stone although defenses had limited impact on who won

Notice a pattern here? Empire earth broke this practice with gold and iron and demanding all units used atleast 1 of them but that resulted in the "boom or bust" approach where you had to streamline your economy for one of those resources and if the oponent choose a counter (done so randomly) you lost since you could not swap production.

One thing i dislike about having to make an RTS game is that
No.
None of your ideas of one so far are even original yet,
If you guys want to make a new RTS game, You might as well just use the SC2 Engine to make one using custom models and what not

Really, what can't be accomplished with the sc2 editor to create a RTS?
imo, I don't think this is the way to go

If we are trying to make some 'indi" game, we should take a whole new approach. If you look at The Behemoth, they started from small, macromedia flash created games that recieved critical acclaim, and now they moved on to bigger games like castle crashers and what not, that have been sold for consoles and on steam.

(before i read page 7, i thought morbent just started using a british accent, lol.)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Really, what can't be accomplished with the sc2 editor to create a RTS?
Something where performance is critical or that makes use of certain technologies.

An example would be a fictional RTS called "Planet Wars" where each player builds on a planet and trys to destroy the other planets. The entire RTS game involves building structures on a sphere (a planet) and then fighting out in space (the area between the planets). Multiple displays can be used to keep track on your opponent or base. Tesselation is used to provide detail on planets and also to create deformations such as when you hit a planet with a meteor.

It becomes very easy to image a RTS game that is outside the capabilities of the SC2 game enigne.

Something where performance is critical or that makes use of certain technologies.

An example would be a fictional RTS called "Planet Wars" where each player builds on a planet and trys to destroy the other planets. The entire RTS game involves building structures on a sphere (a planet) and then fighting out in space (the area between the planets). Multiple displays can be used to keep track on your opponent or base. Tesselation is used to provide detail on planets and also to create deformations such as when you hit a planet with a meteor.

It becomes very easy to image a RTS game that is outside the capabilities of the SC2 game enigne.

Then why has this been the only idea of one that has come by?
I understand there are many possibilities that the sc2 engine can't handle, but I guess what i'm saying is, give me some.

Level 5
After reading the page 6 and 7 in a row I went back to the idea that we have to make something simple. Yes, RTS would be sweet, but let's be real it's easier to make a 2D game. For example a sidescroller. Not necesarilly a beat'em up, you have games like Braid or Super Meat Boy that are great games made by guys who know their stuff.

It's the first project and, save for Dr. Supergood and his super doctorate (jus' kiddin'!), we're all new at game making save for some mods. "Rome wasn't built in a day" applies here too!

For morbent's pleasure, we could combine RTS elements with a simpler game (not necesarilly 2d). Dungeons of Dredmor is another good example of a simpler game.

Level 28
Just like the web server that hosts HiveWorkshop.

Yes. But what does have to do with the game? Except that we may need a web server for our game.

It is easy yet people still struggle to get to 60 in hardcore.

Yes? It takes a lot of time but it's still easy. And... I've talked to you about D3 before, lets just not talk about Diablos, it's just "Point of View".

Well, what are you :p?

This was supposed to be "What kind of person are you" not "what do you do".

I am trying to keep this real, otherwise it will spiral in one big bloom of hype for the next month or two before dying in a pool of broken promises and forgoteness. I have seen this happen to so many projects and am using my experience to try and help this succeed.

Yes but you never mentioned anything good about that game and what we can improve. You did help by pointing out the problems but, you see, people get a liiiiittle demotivated when they hear only bad news. There must also be some good news :)

They are called "micro transactions" and professionals speculate that they are the future of gaming. Yes people do pay for this sort of thing. Recently someone used DotA2 skins in a trade to buy a copy of WarCraft III and its expansion.

Micro Transactions. Hmm, whatever you say. Never heard it was called that way. Probably because I never work with these item shops.

I will give you ideas for a unique one, feel free to comment or use if you wish.

You take the Diablo III skill system foundations but combine it with skill trees so each skill has a unique tree. Each skill slot also is allocated a permanet role type which changes what skill nodes on the tree are available. As you level up, the number of points allocated to a slot/skill increases allowing you to unlock more nodes. Some nodes change the skill drasticly (but usually cost more). Items may also award points to skills allowing more nodes to be unlocked.

For example a cyborg class might have a skill "Photon Cannon".
If put in the combat slot you could have access to nodes that change the skill to fire a continious barrage of pulses very cheaply that deal damage like a mahcine gun.
If put in the support slot you could unlock "Blinding Intensity" flooding a large part of the screen in white causing enemies to miss most attacks for a while.
If put int the ultimate slot you could unlock "Doomsday Laser" which gives the skill a cooldown and high cost but causes it to fire a blast of very high damage in a huge area.

As for a story line that is unique... Science fiction with fantasy elements is the way to go as that is something the 3 have not done. Neither Torchlight, Diablo or Path of Exile have good science fiction in them.

It doesn't really matter HOW different it will be, cuz it WILL BE the same style. Diablo/Torchlight/Titan Quest style. And these games (these 3 games with expansions and etc.) are enough for people and I'm sure that people will prefer to play These games to Our game, from which we cannot expect something THAT great. Sure, it can be great when it comes to ideas, story, etc. but when it comes to quality of the, say, skins, models, coding, well... then I'm not sure how well we can do that part. I could be wrong of course.

You still need good reasoning behind it. You cannot have a primitive race suddenly building some sort of alien-like space craft.

I never said that it has to be that way, we're gonna (is the word match?) match them of course, that be the part of the artists, I guess.

I agree that compstomps are fun, just in professional level play you seldom see towers being used as such. In age of empires it revolves around trash spam and counters of such varients. The norm for age of empires was to hit 120 workers and spam down your opponent with troops. If you build towers or defenses they send siege weapons with or change their spam composition to compensate.

Most people hate defense orientated games as they are too slow. If you want one, you need to give a good reason to defend. Age of Empires had this to some extent with wonder victory but even then it was usually a better idea to destroy the opponent base rather. Can you come up with a better reason to defend?

I haven't said that it has to be exactly like in AOE, it can (SHOULD) be different, we will update the defending. And btw, who said that it has to be ONLY defending, it will be like in AOE, you can choose. Like in War3 Maps. You can choose whether to play a Melee Map, a Tower Defense, etc. The difference here is that you don't have to choose between maps, but between how to play and what to build and where and etc.

No one ever did that outside of agreed duals as you would be long dead before then. The normal was 90-120 workers with 80 spam pop that you keep constatly built. If you had more than 80 pop worth of combat units in Age of Empires II people would laugh that you have not used them yet. 200 units at any time is worth nothing if you turn out 80 units every minute.

What if in our game it was 200 :p We're not talking about AOE, I was just giving it as an example.

idin beind your epic fortress wit 1000 units, wen 6000 are attackin you. And te models dont ave to be _i__ poly. Wic makes te ame easier to make.

Yes this was a bit of a hyperbola :cgrin:

An example of an item for an RTS game would be disco costumes for trash infantry. Instead of their normal looks you can make all your infantry look like they are in disco clothing to all players in your sessions.

This obviously required DRM of some kind.

Yes, that's a good example.

morbent
Please fix your keyboard or revise your posts. It is not like writing ink, nothing stops you correcting mistakes.

:D I can't do that. At night I gotta use the laptop since the computer doesn't work. It needs to "rest". It's very very old.

I thought he was more a 3D Artist? I do not recall him being a skilled coder (feel free to state otherwise as I am not you).

He said he can make codes in Unity. Unless I've misunderstood.

Until you understand software development you are in no position to state how easy or difficult something is. I would say RTS, RPG or FPS are all equally difficult to make in this day and age. Sure if you made an RTS like WC1 or a RPG like those old text based ones or even a FPS like doom it is quite easy but those are very old (20 years or more).

Weeeell, yes I know. But hmm... the FPS IS easier than the other two unless it's a project really epic and huge. An FPS like CS is very easy to make.

Why not read the director commentary made by many RTS developers? They find 2 to be the optimum for high speed competitive RTS games (as Blizzard has proved). 4 does work as Age of Empires proved but in the end it broke down into 3 or even 2 economicly late game (food was made from wood with farms and stone was only used in defenses).

Let me put this in perspective...
SC1/2
Trash -> Minerals
Special -> Gas
Defense -> not meant to defend

AoE
Trash -> both Wood and Food who became highly abundant
Special -> Gold
Defense -> Stone although defenses had limited impact on who won

Notice a pattern here? Empire earth broke this practice with gold and iron and demanding all units used atleast 1 of them but that resulted in the "boom or bust" approach where you had to streamline your economy for one of those resources and if the oponent choose a counter (done so randomly) you lost since you could not swap production.

Hmm...

If you guys want to make a new RTS game, You might as well just use the SC2 Engine

You can't use the engines of other games unless you buy them from the owner. I think.

And, the ideas about RPGs weren't very good too, so why not an RTS? It has a bigger chance to succeed, since there aren't many RTSs (at least, that's how I see it... DR. Super. Good :cgrin: )

(before i read page 7, i thought morbent just started using a british accent, lol.)

#Laughing out loud xD

but let's be real it's easier to make a 2D game.

Well... depends. And RTSs can also be 2d. 2d games (most of them) look really cool and better (in some way) than 3d games since everything is art. I mean, the angle of the units in a strategy for example is different and made-well (in most games). And the 3d model just looks.. well. normal and too realistic. Sometimes Too realistic art just sucks. And 3d is most of the times like that.
But there's one problem - do we have enough 2d artists to make that? Can all of them animate 2d? I doubt it. I mean, I tried one-two times and it's hard as shit to know where, for example the hand should go now when he moves, what his body must do and etc. Only skilled artists know that. Now, I'm not saying that people here aren't skilled, but won't it be a little too much for the artists to handle? Well, it depends on the game of course.

Oh and about the Resources. I thought about it and came to this conclusion: 2 resources are often boring. I mean, they make the game Less Strategy more RPG (in some way) where you have only gold. And, I really don't think that War3 is a Real Strategy. It's more RPG than strategy, you use like 20 units (for an army), has heroes with items, and the resources are only 3.

Lets make them at least 4, I would go for 6 or 10 since it would be more unique but since it's full of War3 lovers here I doubt I'll "win the poll".

(Tzar had 5 (or 4? I could be wrong) resources and was a really great game. I don't see why resources are a problem when they are many.)

Level 7
The more resources the easier it can be to shut someone down by defending one of those resources, the same can be done with only 2 but that way you only have to worry about those two rather than 4 - 6.

It also leads to efficiency, less types of resources > easier to harvest > more resources spent on defense and offence > more strategies on defending yourself from the enemy > makes games not last like an hour.

Level 28
Well... not really. Following your logic it's:

takes your resources - GG - you live only once :X
Which is stupid. And if you have 3 more "mines" (although not all resources are in mines -.-) and someone takes 2 or 1, you still have Some left. Which is good. You can survive and make another epic battle, a strategy etc.

And as I said before - more resources - more uniqueness. And that's what we want is it not :?

And simply, look at how cool it is to have a variety http://www.google.bg/imgres?hl=bg&t...bnh=172&tbnw=193&start=0&ndsp=22&tx=24&ty=105 I wanna eat the sulfur.

Add: Why do you people like simple games T.T the more resources the more interesting and the harder (usually) the game will be

Level 13
Regarding that, the most people here is not a professional, you shall make some sample "jobs" to choose of and make and then decide if you want to accept him/her to work for this project. You shall pick your base team, get a hive-project forum from Ralle, then you have pretty much done for start. For coders you have Statharas, DSG, and maybe myself too, but as I said, I am not that much good yet. Then start gathering base resources for engine( even if you are making your own engine ), put on votes about the game. Anyways, you can decide the genre and others a bit later, till that, the core of the engine can be set to be ready. For the game you can even choose of some successful hive-project which is cool and put it into a whole game with more features, better graphics, more quests, more blabla... Or you can make something similar to Wc which would allow maps, scripts, and generally a better engine( now scII fags come with the too much heard sentence: "We already have it, its called starcraft II..." )

Level 28
Then start gathering base resources for engine( even if you are making your own engine )

See, we don't need an engine, Unity has one :\ I'm saying this for the 100th time -.-

But aaa... why do you always refer to SC2 and War3, it could be a totally different RTS. A new style one. Not like AoE, not like SC2, not like War3. Something for which SC2 "fags" won't be able to say the too much heard sentence, cuz it won't look anything like SC2.

And SC2 just sucks (My opinion), I prefer SC1 :p So... don't refer to SC2 :D The game is stupid. And the expansion costs a fortune and has only 6 (total) units added. Which is shit.

Add: I just read your signature. When was "Geries" with a small "g", like "geries"

Level 13
Having Unity or others won't mean that you have the core ready :D I was referring to you have to set up systems and other stuffs for any existing or own engine too.

Anyways the 'g' was changed into 'G' about a half year ago or something.

Level 6
Why only choose between RPG or strategy? RPG is imo pretty boring, just play it through once and ur finnished with it, and strategy is a little overdone :p
How about a super smash arena game based on thisn awesome map by zymoran and demestotenes?
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/warlock-099b-92687/

It makes for endless of hours of fun, and you never get bored of it! ;D
The warlock community has been hoping for a standalone version of the map for years now and it could really be something awesome! ;)
I hope atleast you check the map out, newest ver is here: http://ge.tt/1dxgoBX/v/0

And the community is still alive here:
http://www.warlockbrawl.com/index.php/forum/index

They mostly play on RGC: http://www.rankedgaming.com/download.html

Level 21
About having lots of resource types.
People seem to assume that when there's many kinds of resources, then you need every single one of them.
Well, that doesn't have to be true. We could go the exact opposite direction - So many resources, that when someone blocks one kind out, then you can pick another kind and use different strategy. So that no resource type could be blocked.
Also, why hardcode the amount of resources? It would be a lot better if new types of resources can be added/old ones removed easily.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
are enough for people and I'm sure that people will prefer to play These games to Our game, from which we cannot expect something THAT great.
That was just an example of a particular game play element. Everything from Classes to storyline would be very different from those games if it were to be defined properly.

As for quality, do not think those three are perfect by any means. All of them have bugs.

Weeeell, yes I know. But hmm... the FPS IS easier than the other two unless it's a project really epic and huge. An FPS like CS is very easy to make.
So you have worked on such games before? Do you know how complicated FPS games are?

I think unity is just a framework. It gives access to game functionality very easilly. It does not give you a ready made game engine like SC2 does where you can make a unit in under a minute.

Also, why hardcode the amount of resources? It would be a lot better if new types of resources can be added/old ones removed easily.
Age of Empires did this for speed as it was written in assembly. A well designed game engine would support this functionality very easilly.

Level 28
About having lots of resource types.
People seem to assume that when there's many kinds of resources, then you need every single one of them.
Well, that doesn't have to be true. We could go the exact opposite direction - So many resources, that when someone blocks one kind out, then you can pick another kind and use different strategy. So that no resource type could be blocked.

I totally agree... and now for Dr Super Good... oh I hate long posts:

As for quality, do not think those three are perfect by any means. All of them have bugs.

I know. But our will have more, since we're new to this. Some of us may have participated in games, I can't say. But most of us, haven't made a game before.

So you have worked on such games before? Do you know how complicated FPS games are?

Depends what type of FPS. If it's like CS it's: Shoot. Shoot, run around like an idiot, multiplayer and of course Leaderboards.

That's all. IT'S VERY EASY > Even one of my friends can do that (he has some experience in Unity).

I think unity is just a framework. It gives access to game functionality very easilly. It does not give you a ready made game engine like SC2 does where you can make a unit in under a minute.

Well, no. As far as I know it's an engine. But... it's not like SC2's engine OF course :D
It's sucky but not that sucky. Pretty good for a first game.

And lets add new resource types and (if possible) not use the so well-known resources like Lumber, Gold, Food. Well, you can't go anywhere without Food, but we can think of something. One of the races to have no food or something like that. About gold, well, if not gold, it's gonna be some other type of money, so, yeah, nowhere to go without gold. And lumber, if the game doesn't have trees it would be sucky... I mean, it has to be related in some way to our world, otherwise it would be a bit hard to understand. And that will lead to "Uncool"(is it with "un"?), since everything cool is related to our world. For example - if you have a huge beast which looks really "cool", it's probably because it has a similar musculature to some of our creatures or, at least a combination between them. If it had nothing related to our world it would have been hard and difficult to understand. Example: a dinosaur drawn by a 5 old. It doesn't look cool, cuz it hasn't got that musculature of our animals. Sure, it could be one of the strange-no-skeleton aliens on another planet but it's still not "cool".

So we gotta stick to reality and use Gold, Lumber, Food, these stuff ---> less uniqueness T.T

Level 5
what if, for example, you have 6 resources and 3 races and there're 2 different resources for each race. Race 1 gathers resource A and B, but Race 2 gathers C and D.

Level 28
Questions

But won't there be too many "mines" (woods, mines, etc.) in the map that way? and aren't 2 a bit.. hmm not enough? I mean, it's like having 3 to all races but you just have different icons and names on these two. Why not 6 for all races +1 special to each race? It could be nice like that. Nice idea DZerpic! Yes! I like it. A special resource to each race. But.. aren't 4 races better? 4 > 3 ---> more cool stuff to add.

Tomorrow I will provide (I guess) some concept arts for the different races.
Lets start working! More "Do", less "Lets Do". My bro taught me that and I haven't actually applied it very often but it sure works :p he always says something like that when I have to do something. Well, I also say it to him when he has to do something... so:

First: Lets create a "poll" (just answer here, I'll do all the counting)

1 Question: What type would you prefer the game to be?

- RPG (MMO or not?)
- FPS (Like CS, or something more serious?)
- RTS (and also, choose from RTS: More to AoE and RTS: More to War3 (for those who don't know the game AOE, it's that way: More units. Less spells. You have walls and such. War3 is more RPG style)
- 2d Sidescroller Beat em Up
- Arena Game (Like warlock for example)
- other (if other say what)

2 Question: How many resources? (If RTS)
- 2 for each race
- 6 + 1 special for each race
- other (say what)

Question 3: If RTS, how many races?
- other (say what)

Question 4: If RPG, more to:
- WoW
- Lineage
- Guild Wars
- other (say what)

Look, I really didn't want to make the questions Huge, I hate to draw the attention of others (although I often do that), but I want everyone to see them and please, answer. I really want to know what you people think and if not for me, then it's gonna be good for others to know too. We need to know our Points of View.

>>> MULTIVOTING IS ALLOWED <<<

Last edited:
Level 11
But won't there be too many "mines" (woods, mines, etc.) in the map that way? and aren't 2 a bit.. hmm not enough? I mean, it's like having 3 to all races but you just have different icons and names on these two. Why not 6 for all races +1 special to each race? It could be nice like that. Nice idea DZerpic! Yes! I like it. A special resource to each race. But.. aren't 4 races better? 4 > 3 ---> more cool stuff to add.

Lets start working! More "Do", less "Lets Do". My bro taught me that and I haven't actually applied it very often but it sure works :p he always says something like that when I have to do something. Well, I also say it to him when he has to do something... so:

- RPG (MMO or not?)
- RTS (and also, choose from RTS: More to AoE and RTS: More to War3 (for those who don't know the game AOE, it's that way: More units. Less spells. You have walls and such. War3 is more RPG style)

2 Question: How many resources?
- 2 for each race
- other (say what)

- other (say what)

- WoW
- Lineage
- Guild Wars
- other (say what)

Look, I really didn't want to make the questions Huge, I hate to draw the attention of others (although I often do that), but I want everyone to see them and please, answer. I really want to know what you people think and if not for me, then it's gonna be good for others to know too. We need to know our Points of View.

Was waiting this to start :).

Ok here are my answers about your questions:

1.Arena Game like Warlock etc or RTS game.Now its immposible to make MMORPG or RPG we need a lot of time for that and a lot of people with experience

2.You mean gold, lumber etc.????? First we need to decide what kind of RTS it will be but 2-4 resources should be enough

3. I prefer the smallest number for start since there needs a lot of balance so we should start with 3 races and add more races in patches or if this game has a lot of players maybe expansion

4.As said RPG or MMORPG is very hard and we need big group and a lot of time not to mention about the skill.

Level 14
The answer for the first question is: Arena game like warlock, and tho all the other questions are irrelevant :grin:

I really think that we should start with something small, but fun to play & test. And something that allows multiplayer. That could be an arena game.

If you ask me, we dont necessarily have to go with the warlock idea (knockback the enemy out of the ring), but spell trees inside a match and fantasy elements always do good.

Arenas have intense gameplay, fun factor, and also survival effect if thats what you like :)

Oh and edit: If my future allows me to join the project, i could take part in the coding. (Easier codes first)

Oh and morbent: Use your edit button. Its really useful!

In reply to morbents following post:
I doubt That! You just have to be eye attracting enough :D Also, the people didnt reply most likely didnt read your previous comment either. So i see no problem with editing.

Last edited:
Level 28
I do :) but.. aa. When the message must be seen (--> has to be the last message so that people can read it) and if there was a comment after my message I just type a new message since the Edit button won't work here. People usually read only the last message and won't look at a message they've already read.

edit: DAmmit, I Just broke my own rule!

edit 2:
I doubt That! You just have to be eye attracting enough :D Also, the people didnt reply most likely didnt read your previous comment either. So i see no problem with editing.

As I said before, I dont want to be eye attractive, I dont want to disturb people, alt_ou__ I often do. (laptop keyboard is fucked up)

edit 3:

2 votes for arena
1 vote for RTS (You can multivote if you want.)

Last edited:
Level 6
I ofcourse vote for arena map like warlock, i can come with tons of ideas! ;D

I can guarantee everyone in the warlock community would highly appreciate a standalone game inspired by this beloved map, it's been promised before, but it didn't go through, i hope this will be the one that makes it and makes it goooood! :D

Last edited:
Level 21

- RPG (MMO or not?)

2 Question: How many resources? (If RTS)
- 2 for each race
- other (say what)

- other (say what)

- WoW
- Lineage
- Guild Wars
- other (say what)

>>> MULTIVOTING IS ALLOWED <<<

1.Gejre
RTS with spells AND lots of units. But the spells should all have autocast, because not everyone likes micro. Autocast should then be absolutely stupid, to give an advantage to those who bother to cast themselves.
2.How many resources?
3 minimum, 4-5 would be nice and the amount of different res must be easy to change. Racial resources are nice, a whole new depth in strategy.
3.How many races?
2 at first, can add more later.

Level 28
Answers:

1. What type of game?

- (5 Votes) RTS: Foronisus, morbent, Xonok (War3 Style), Jackhamme, Hell_Master
- (3 Votes) Arena Map: Foronisus, kari0003, Jolly_jumper (Warlock style)
- (2 Votes) Third Person "Super Smash Bros": Just_Spectating, Statharas (Stath said that it was a nice idea and I assumed it was a "Yes to Super Smash Bros")

2. Resources (RTS):

- (3 Votes) 2-4: Foronisus, Jackhamme, Hell_Master
- (1 Vote) 4-6+1 Special resource for each race: morbent
- (1 Vote) 3-5+ Unknown quality Special resource for each race: Xonok

3. Races (RTS):

- (1 Vote) 3: Foronisus
- (1 Vote) 2: Xonok
- (2 Votes) 3-5: morbent, Hell_Master
- (1 Vote) 3-4: Jackhamme

4. RPG:

(Note: I will edit this post so check this page when you want to see the votes)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.