• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Discussion] Would you be interested in working in a community project?

Would you be interested in working on the game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Project

Would you be interested in holding up a community based game? The game would be built around what the community wants (No Warcraft IV or other copyrighted things, clean fresh game). The game would be focused around choices and concepts, while the resources would be made by the community itself. The idea is that everybody does what he is best at, by picking up tasks from a thread.

Resources

The resources would be made by the community per request (as in a bulletin board-thread which contains assignments you can pick up).

For example, a wolf model would be requested, two people choose to make one based around the specifications. If they're both good, they might both be used, else a vote would be put on.

The requests would, in my opinion contain the following:

• Models
  • Scripts (code)
  • Textures
  • Animations
  • Character ideas
  • Sounds
  • Abilities (code)
  • Concepts (areas, storyline, etc)
  • etc.

You wouldn't be working because you were "forced" to and would of course be credited for the work.

Concepts and Stories

It would be always up to the community to create characters, NPCs or not, as well as stories that would help progress the storyline. This would be our game, this would become how we want it to.

Roleplaying

The game should emphasize roleplaying as well as combat. Since the players and the community would be the ones guiding the game, it would be a perfect game to roleplay.

Monetization

(This is an example of what i have in mind. It would always depend on which the community wants more.)
In my mind, I have an MMORPG style, since many people on the hive love RPGs. It would, of course, be F2P, and a cash shop would be put up where you can purchase things like vanity items (No pay2win), for example, a witch hat.

The initial funds received from the cash shop (unless we somehow find funds) would be used to host the game on a server, percentages would be split across people (unless they chose not to receive money for their work), but 50% of the money would be directed towards the Hive, for the hosting.

Keep in mind that this is a discussion, as in, the project is not yet existent.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The project needs some direction if it is to take off. I advise comming up with a list of propositions to get it off the ground.

Some examples are action RPG (Diablo style), standard MMORPG (World of WarCraft style), turn based RPG (Final fantasy), tactical RPG (Final Fantasy Tactics) or even 2D RPG (similar to castlevania RPGs).

Wow..a new project...i don't know about coding..i don't even know about JASS....but i can share my ideas on this one.....

So how about making a MIX-TYPE GAME GENRE? it is boring to have only RPG...how about adding some new kind of game?..
This thread is about the idea of having a project based on requests.

Level 31
The more skilled a person is, the more experience that person has, and the more leadership ability that person has, the less likely they are going to want to help for free, lol. More experience = less fun, meaning more about work/money than "let's all have fun, yay ^^."

Just figured that I'd point that out. I wouldn't be surprised if you only found people with next to no experience willing to help out =).

Level 6
Hmmm... I see the word "models", which leads to me thinking that this gonna be 3D. Also makes me thinking that this project either is never gonna start, or you will have to make it on a "3 clicks" ready engine like World Editor in WC3.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
It need not nescescarilly be made with an existing game engine. Many games such 0A.D. made their own engines and are looking top notch. Emulators as well never required such foundations as they are of no use to them. Both are clear examples of fully open-source software made by un-paid people.

Level 5
It does sound like a nice idea. But Dr. Super Good is right, there needs to be a leader/director with as much experience, motivation and dedication as possible and who would be willing to do it for free.

I'd like to colaborate as much as I can, but I'm afraid there's little I can do since I have 0 programing skills.

Level 28
Leader? You don't necessarily need a leader. Just a person who will think of the story. And another one who will think of the style. Another one who will think of the gameplay. And other people who will make the models, skins, icon, triggers and such, following the selected style.

And when all these people do their job well and share their stuff here and other people say something like "This is not the style of the game, change this model a little, etc". Then everything will be alike. And that's all you need :\ what could the leader do > Think of the genre of the game? What else?

Well, I don't know much about Unity but I do have a friend who knows... something. And he has explained me these stuff (to some degree) so, I don't think it's that hard if you have enough people. See, with 2-3 people it's hard to create a game but with 30-40, well then it's quite easy. Then everyone can do what he does best and there will also be people who will do the same thing so you don't have to work that much.

Many cool games were created by 6-7 people, like Dear Esther ... ok, I can't think of another one xD but aa, Blizzard was started by 2 people -.-

I can help with ideas about creatures and such. I'm not good at drawing but I do have.... some* imagination (probably the only talent I have [if you can call imagination a talent... but I think it is :\]).

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Well, I beg to differ morbent. A leader is the person who makes everything come together. He is responsible for managing the game, giving directions as to when, what and how to do stuff and he/she indeed does his part when it comes to indie games. It's not like after a game is ready it magically pops up on a server and it is sometimes hard for 10-20 people to effectively sync their schedules in order to work on a project with maximum efficiency. That's when the leader comes in.

Level 28
Leaders are necessary wen were talkin about a company wit 200-1000 people wo dont know eac oter and dont really care about te project but just want teir money. Tey finis teir job for te day and leave. Tey dont care about te ame. But if we make te ame, we will ALL talk about it and everyone would do is part for te ame because e WANTS to. And ten, you wont need a leader, since were all leaders, we all sare ideas and opinions on te ame.

(My Laptop Keyboard is fucked up)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Leader? You don't necessarily need a leader. Just a person who will think of the story. And another one who will think of the style. Another one who will think of the gameplay. And other people who will make the models, skins, icon, triggers and such, following the selected style.
You need a director/manager who is dedicated to keep the thing going. Without one, the project will die in no time as so many others have. Keep in mind there need not be only 1 director/manager, as long as there is atleast 1 who has the dedication at any given time. The reason for this is that the project needs a direction. In order for a project to have a direction, you need a body that defines that direction. The directors/managers is not an easy job, they need to design and define aspects of the software for the grunt workers to follow.

We are not talking about silly WC3 or even SC2, this is a proposal for developing a proper piece of software.

And when all these people do their job well and share their stuff here and other people say something like "This is not the style of the game, change this model a little, etc". Then everything will be alike. And that's all you need :\ what could the leader do > Think of the genre of the game? What else?
The problem here is inefficiency and dedication. No clearly defined tasks and requirements result in a lot of wasted effort and people losing motivation. In a project such as this you need all tasks to be small and well defined enough that if someone quits, another person can jump in his place. You also want the definition good enough that the work people do is almost perfect first time (or only minor revisions needed). Obviously during the evaluation/testing phase there may be major task revisions as those cannot be predicted easilly (some times something looks good but turns out not to work).

See, with 2-3 people it's hard to create a game but with 30-40, well then it's quite easy.
If you have the directors/managers to work out what they are to do. If not then you will have 30-40 people doing random junk.

Many cool games were created by 6-7 people, like Dear Esther ... ok, I can't think of another one xD but aa, Blizzard was started by 2 people -.-
But atleast a few of them were defining what needed to be done... Atleast 1 person had the motivation to keep the project together.

*I can help with ideas about creatures and such. I'm not good at drawing but I do have.... some* imagination (probably the only talent I have [if you can call imagination a talent... but I think it is :\]).
So can most people. Everyone should be capable of giving ideas, whether they are good ideas though is another question.

Leaders are necessary wen were talkin about a company wit 200-1000 people wo dont know eac oter and dont really care about te project but just want teir money. Tey finis teir job for te day and leave. Tey dont care about te ame. But if we make te ame, we will ALL talk about it and everyone would do is part for te ame because e WANTS to. And ten, you wont need a leader, since were all leaders, we all sare ideas and opinions on te ame.
All team projects I have seen fail due to a lack of leadership. It does not mater if you are a group of 4 people or 400 people, you still need a leadership structure. With 400 people you will have sub-leaders who report to a main leader who assignes high level tasks to the sub-leaders who then work out the low level tasks.

Level 5
I sometimes work at a friend's restaurant. We're ussually 5-6 guys and there's always one that makes the decisions. We work in an organized manner. If I have any doubts I ask him because he's the "leader", he's in charge, and everything has to be done the way he wants.

If we were just 5 guys doing stuff however we wanted, each in his own way, the kitchen would be chaos, we would be fighting and discussing on how to prepare certain dishes and how not to prepare them.

In a movie, the director is what holds the entire project toghether. And so is in videogames. Wether the director is the guy with the idea or not, he's the guy that makes the decisions and that's no easy task. and, of course, he must have a more than basic understanding of every aspect of the production.

Level 28
Ok, I was wrong. You do need leaders. But why can't many of us be leaders? We will all share ideas and how the things must be done and we'll get to a consensus. One leader would suck. It will be.... the game will be, made by his ideas and his viewpoint about a game. Which would really suck. Cuz we want a game which is made by All of Us, not by one person. I think that 5-6 leaders would be fine, they don't need to "work" only as leaders, they can also be the ones who make art/music/codes and such.

Really, this game isn't as hard as you people think (at least in my opinion). I mean it would be hard, if we lacked people who can make codes/music/art/models. From what I've read, Stath can make the codes for the game and some other people will help him (some who know how to work with Unity), many people here can create models, I'm sure some will join. Same for art (skins, icons, UI, concept art and such). Sure, it WILL require a lot of time, but it's not impossible.

I think that this game would be a nice thing to do. It might fail but none of us (maybe some have) has worked in making a game. I'm not talking about a War3 project. And... it's... it's like some kind of experience in this industry. Almost all of us will work (I think) such a job (participate in making games with codes/models/art/etc.) in the near future (some already do). We would have this... hmm, bonus, which other people who want to work the same thing won't have. And people would hire you instead of someone else who has never made a game (of course, if you're good).

And it would also be fun :p sharing all your ideas with other people, thinking on the campaign, will it be an RPG? a strategy? or something else? and all these interesting questions to discuss with other people :\ I don't see why we should give that up.

Level 7
This sounds amazing... I would be willing to support this as much as I possibly can!

I'm no good at art/modeling (even though I am still learning)/coding but I do know how to create well rounded characters and develop them well, I'm quite good at writing lore and/or stories, I love being creative with monster design and spell creation (I am not so good with programming them... but I come up with interesting spell ideas).

I'd love to be apart of this no matter what role I can fit in. :)

Very shortly I will be doing a course that involves games design, so I guess that helps? lol either way if this gets started, I'll support it :D.

Big projects can only work out if you have coordinators / motivators.
If you all work on little parts and the coordinators / motivators put them together it should be fine.

But don't start with the whole stuff in one peace and move the game around uncontrollable so that some people have version 0.AX and others have 0.BX and both think they are working on the latest thing.

Level 30
This looks like cool and really a big game that many will enjoy and finally that Hive has it own game! I can help on the Storyline but not that sure because...well... you know.... I am not that good at it still I will try.

Level 28
Ok.. so it seems many people want to join. Lets start thinking of the game itself. Why not a strategy game? I have some cool ideas.

An RPG would be boring - there are too many RPGs anyway.

And the story... will it be epic or more common? Will it include, like, countries fighting and such, a main hero doing some shit and etc.

And another question - how will we get to a consensus xD? Everybody has his own ideas... it could be hard. Maybe a poll?

Level 14
I think if 5-6 users willing to carry on with the project and make the basic coding of the game, the main systems. If the bones are ready its easy to find people in the community who are willing to make some resources for that game for example UI, icons, models. After we agreed on the main theme and style of the game, the artists know what they have to do.

Again, the hard part of this is the coding, because everyone who contribute to the project with coding have to make bugless, effective scripts, in synergy with the main systems. For that, there should be guideline/tutorial threads.

In my opinion if we got that 5-6 users, it is possible to bring this game to life.

Level 6
I dont wana be very negative, but you should know the bad facts and not get yourself too overexcited about this project, followed by tragic disappointing. I have almost never seen a custom animation in hive models. Even if I did, they are such low quality, that 2D would probably suit ALLOT more starting such unexperianced starter projects. Also its true - you need a single or 2 leaders. You will need as well "tamed workers", who would do EVERYTHING you say. Imagine how it gonna be when you have hired some 15 years kiddo. He will just cry/drama about your ideas and quit. There is some very rare lucky chance you could succeed indeed, but its small after all! Starting such projects, and on 3D... I think its too much for a random starters.

Level 28
I'm a 15 year old kiddo. Hmm... I don't think I'll cry if somebody made me draw something. Although my art sucks.

Anyway, about the animations, you're right. I forgot about this one. Well, I'm pretty sure that if we have EVERYTHING else, this won't be a problem. Someone can always learn how to do it or we can find someone if everything else is done at 100%.

Hell Master by serious I mean... something which doesn't include Santa xD

But aa, I haven't checked that thread/project/whatever it is so I won't talk about Santa vs Mad King, since I don't know anything about it - can you share some of the story? (at first I thought that a game about Santa would be stupid, but I'm not sure, convince me it's cool enough for a game :D)

Add: Metalbear, it always starts "randomly". I mean, 2-16 people have an idea about a game and they start making it. And... when they finish it (if they do) they don't necessarily "win" (earn money, become a company, etc.) but now they have experience in the game industry. Some experience. Which is good enough ;)

Level 30
I'm a 15 year old kiddo. Hmm... I don't think I'll cry if somebody made me draw something. Although my art sucks.

Anyway, about the animations, you're right. I forgot about this one. Well, I'm pretty sure that if we have EVERYTHING else, this won't be a problem. Someone can always learn how to do it or we can find someone if everything else is done at 100%.

Hell Master by serious I mean... something which doesn't include Santa xD

But aa, I haven't checked that thread/project/whatever it is so I won't talk about Santa vs Mad King, since I don't know anything about it - can you share some of the story? (at first I thought that a game about Santa would be stupid, but I'm not sure, convince me it's cool enough for a game :D)

Add: Metalbear, it always starts "randomly". I mean, 2-16 people have an idea about a game and they start making it. And... when they finish it (if they do) they don't necessarily "win" (earn money, become a company, etc.) but now they have experience in the game industry. Some experience. Which is good enough ;)

Well, I know Santa is a bit "corny" and for the story of this Santa vs. Mad King. Actually, it doesnt have an exact story, it just started with the gathering of minions in each side... and there, BATTLE TIME! But making a story from this is a good idea and for the part of convincing you..... I'll try but Im not assuring it because as I said I am not that good at storytelling still Im trying hard.

EDIT: Im planning the game to be this.... the characters are based on the participants at the Santa vs Mad King (if only the group is still open, we can have a peek on the participants.). Each force, Santa and Mad King, has its own storyline. And finally, those two storyline will lead to the ending where the two forces will battle out. OK here is an example of a starter for each forces' story....

For Santa,
"Santa and his elves are busy preparing for the day of the christmas. Preparing for the day of the Christmas where Santa will roam the world giving joy to everyone. But will this day be succesful or be ruined by someone....?" and so on....

For Mad King,
"The Mad King had finally walked inside the realm of the Humans. Waking without much strength and memory of his past but only a single memory to bring destruction. The Mad King roamed around the world to find great and worthy minions to join him and bring destruction." and so on...

Hope this is somewhat good. Well, here's what I can say.... I know that Santa is so "corny" that none will ever make it on a epic game but nothing is impossible... even the corniest character can be good and somehow epic.

Level 28
Yep Jack.

And Hell Master :cgrin: I mean Santa is... a fat guy who makes toys. Actually gnomes make it for him. I mean... he's not epic. He's nice and kind. He's a symbol. Of... of kindness I guess. But I mean... why not create a real playable game? I mean a. Normal game. Like a strategy with races: Demons, Water Creatures, Elves, etc.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
But why can't many of us be leaders?
Nothing stops that, as I stated, but you need atleast 1 person to lead. Mutliple leaders need to be in close contact with each other otherwise you get the nasty situation of parallel projects forming.

One leader would suck. It will be.... the game will be, made by his ideas and his viewpoint about a game. Which would really suck.
If the game was made by everyone it would also suck as most people have little idea about what they want in a game. You need someone (or some group) to filter the useful suggestions from the garbage and to fill in ideas that are missing.

I think that 5-6 leaders would be fine, they don't need to "work" only as leaders, they can also be the ones who make art/music/codes and such.
For a project with 30-40 members this is true, but for the scale this is at the moment we would be lucky to expect any leader let alone anyone to be led. Nothing stops all members of a project leading as long as they communicate with each other enough and share common goals. As the group size becomes larger this becomes less and less possible as more and more time would be spent communicating with each other.

I mean it would be hard, if we lacked people who can make codes/music/art/models.
Which is exactly what we do lack..

Stath can make the codes for the game and some other people will help him (some who know how to work with Unity),
Stath is about the only person who knows how to work with unity. Also if you look at what he does he seems more an artist than a coder (I am not you, feel free to correct me).

many people here can create models, I'm sure some will join
There is a company offering $200 for a single model if you win on the main page and no one has joined. You think people will work for free if they are not willing to work for a possible reward even?

Almost all of us will work (I think) such a job (participate in making games with codes/models/art/etc.) in the near future (some already do).
Not really... 90% of people who come here will probably never get a job in the industry. Many will become pure software engineers which make professional software rather than games.

And people would hire you instead of someone else who has never made a game (of course, if you're good).
Or they would just hire from one of the many low level colleges that teach game development. Game developers are very cheap to hire because they do not need the skills that software engineers do (they only need a subset). Yes if you make yourself a name in the sector (like Will Wright) then you can expect good pay, but remember that many of such people started out when computer science and video games were still quite new.

And it would also be fun :p sharing all your ideas with other people, thinking on the campaign, will it be an RPG? a strategy? or something else?
If you looked at any professionally made game's forum lately, you will see that over 70% of suggestions are rubbish.

I do know how to create well rounded characters and develop them well, I'm quite good at writing lore and/or stories, I love being creative with monster design and spell creation (I am not so good with programming them... but I come up with interesting spell ideas).
So do a lot of people... Too bad we are not writing a book.

But don't start with the whole stuff in one peace and move the game around uncontrollable so that some people have version 0.AX and others have 0.BX and both think they are working on the latest thing.
That is called version control software and is a non-issue. The main problem is when part of the team thinks they are making a ARPG while the other part thinks they are making a MMORPG since it is obvious the work will not overlap much.

I can help on the Storyline but not that sure because...well... you know.... I am not that good at it still I will try.
So can a lot of other people. Too bad we are lacking anyone to actually make the thing.

And another question - how will we get to a consensus xD? Everybody has his own ideas... it could be hard. Maybe a poll?
Initial phase will probably be poll driven, after that the project leader(s) have the final say on choices to stop the game turning into a mess.

I'd rather a strategy game over an RPG game. A strategy game like WC3 (RTS) or similar would be amazing but when it comes to the story line we should focus on it (make it epic).
Too bad stories mean quite little compared to the actual game play in this case. I advise comming up with game play ideas and then writing a story to fit it.

Again, the hard part of this is the coding, because everyone who contribute to the project with coding have to make bugless, effective scripts, in synergy with the main systems. For that, there should be guideline/tutorial threads.
Anyone who has taken software engineering or similar degrees already have the prequisit skills to do this thus no tutorials are required (we are not a university).

In my opinion if we got that 5-6 users, it is possible to bring this game to life.
Any number of users will not make the project live if no one has the nescescary essential skills that such a project requires. Does anyone have experience with Direct3D/OpenGL programming? How can the game engine be designed without such experience?

About the game... I think they should make it about the recent Christmas Event... Santa vs Mad King. Looks cool and epic.
Um what?!

Can you do anything to help though? If not art then?

Well, I know Santa is a bit "corny" and for the story of this Santa vs. Mad King. Actually, it doesnt have an exact story, it just started with the gathering of minions in each side... and there, BATTLE TIME! But making a story from this is a good idea and for the part of convincing you..... I'll try but Im not assuring it because as I said I am not that good at storytelling still Im trying hard.
How will competitive match making be done in multiplayer? Why only 2 races? Would Coka Cola give us rights to use the Red Santa Clause that they own?

Santa vs Mad King
What on earth is this you keep refering to?

Hope this is somewhat good. Well, here's what I can say.... I know that Santa is so "corny" that none will ever make it on a epic game but nothing is impossible... even the corniest character can be good and somehow epic.
Why Santa? Why not have some anthromophic animals brawl it out instead? Or why not have humans as aliens invading other planets (the opposite of usual alien invasions)? Why not a good old classic JRPG as those are much easier to create stories for?

Can you contribute anything else other than "ideas"?

Apart from the animations, we have plenty of people.
The world has pleanty of people. Too bad only a small part of them have skills applicable for this situations.

Level 5
For the first project I think its a safer bet to make it 2D as 3D is rather risky unless we find someone with decent animation skills.

Regarding the story and the gameplay style, I think we should first decide on the setting. Is it fantasy medieval? cyberpunk? steampunk? present times? does it go from stone age to information age like in Empire Earth? is it a hybrid of different syles? etc. I personally prefer rpg over rts although there are plenty, there's still room for uniqueness in the genre.

Then, as said before we need organization, not only in the form of a leader but, also, in the creation of work teams. But that comes later, I guess.

I quote Jackhammer, "I'd love to be apart of this no matter what role I can fit in. :)" I too would like and I think I could help out with the story, characters and lore.

Level 28
Yeaaa.... Dr Super Good, you're right, as always :p No one will leave another person to lead him...

I will though.

And if not art, I can give ideas about creatures? I think I'm good at that, I mean it may sound a bit egoistic but I... I think I'm good enough for such a project. And I don't think any of us are expecting something which will be AMAZING. It's just for hmm.. skill?

And I don't think we lack art/model/code makers. There are plenty, I'm sure SOME will join. And I'm too lazy to re-read your other answers to answer. Anyway, you're quite correct. Especially about "There is a company offering $200 for a single model if you win on the main page and no one has joined. You think people will work for free if they are not willing to work for a possible reward even?"

But aa, give it time, soon (I'm sure) (ok 99% sure) (or maybe 98%?) many people will start making models (I MEAN 200E!) Just give it time. It hasn't been seen by everyone yet. This announcement came in about 7-8 hours ago.

Although, for free, well.. sure, many Won't work but some will. I mean, I have *some spare time (not much) but I can give in an idea or two... draw some concept arts (sucky, but... something). So it's not a COMPLETE Failure as you see it. This project can succeed :p Really. Even if we're talking about a 2d game, or a simple game like CS, or , or... a 3d arena game? Or something like Mortal Kombat 4 but with many more characters and combos. And I'm pretty sure that other people (except Stath) can make codes on Unity. I mean, I have a friend who's 15 and he can do that... to.. to some degree. And he hasn't even went to lessons or something, just some YouTube videos and he understands Unity Codes pretty well. And here, we've got a lot of people who know how to code games, have made some games, have made some modes for a game or such. I doubt that Unity codes are that different from the others. You just need some time to understand them and you're ready (of course, if you know how to code from before (code other games, etc.)). But aa, oh well, if you people think that this will fail than it will :\ If you don't believe in something, you'll never see it come to life.

Add: Oh and, if a company came HERE to ask for a model then that means that this Community is really good at these stuff. Many people (15-21 years) start their own "company" and create fair enough games. Why can't we do it? I mean, we (The community) aren't worse from the others ;)

Level 21
I will help as much as I can and bother.

My strong sides:
The ability to give good critique,
Unique ideas,
Relatively good english.

My weak sides:
Not enough persistence to make something from scratch, unless I have support,
No experience in coding outside warcraft.

Everyone has their own ideas and their own vision of what they could do, here is mine.

I guess we should just make a structured plan. The first thing in line is what the game is about. The lore, the concepts and most importantly the gameplay mechanics.
Can't really do anything before that. When that has been reached, then I am happy to help with critique and lore.

I suggest that it should be a medieval+sci-fi fantasy game, that can be played online. Something that would incorporate both RPG and strategy elements.

For the whole of their known history the race have been living in peace with themselves and their environment, but now it is destined to change.
A new race has descended from skies. A race that seems to value conquest and expluatation over all else. The humans.
The humans tell that they are fighting another race high up in the skies and that they know many more worlds.

The game can be played as either race or humans.
The humans have to battle the other race in space and to do so they need resources. Homever race does not understand the reasoning behind it and are actively trying to resist humans. If the humans get too weak, then the other race from space will also arrive. If the native race becomes too weak, then the humans will exploit the planet too much, causing the planet's ecosystems to go out of hand. This creates a conflict that seems impossible to fix.

Please comment and give critique, as I haven't seen any other idea go this specific. Also, credits to Dr Super Good for the idea of humans being the invaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.