• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wilderness Survival Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I can't see how you can die with just animal attacks. The chance of you meeting a bear early on is very very low, and you can easily outrun a mammoth. A raccoon only takes a one attack an a stone to kill it. And once you get an axe you can easily kill a bear. Without even any items, two players can also kill a bear. This map is really not that hard, it takes patience, creativity and most importantly teamwork to succeed.

Yes bears are not carnivores and most of them even run when come in contact with humans. But momma bears are very territorial and protective to their cubs, perhaps this could be used instead..?

Also I wish the intro isn't so long :D

Level 4
i find bears all the time in the begining, but i use the trap to kill it. Trap kills anything.
I recomend the animals to run away from the trap, cause trap only hurts who atack it

Level 12
-Polar bear to be exact, to answer a few of your questions the polar isn't there to literally eat you, like boyot888 said somewhat bears can be territorial and yes protective around their cubs. As for the intro being to long well that is fixed it doesn't take long to load now it might take a few seconds to load up. As for you espatula I don't understand your problem, bears in my map don't spawn near starting locations nor do mammoths are you sure your even playing the right wilderness survival? A trap is a trap the name says it, basically a trap with hardly a chance to escape.

Level 4
oh no, i start walking and preparing everything in the way across the map, so some times i find one in my way, what make things dificult, but is not a problem don't worry about, the real problem is the trap that kills any animal, even the big foot(i do it all the time). reduce the life and the atk speed if you don't want to make some thing more complex

Level 12
I'm in need of help with somethings if you guys really want to see this map ever get done it's kinda hard to accomplish it by myself. Go back to the first page on this thread and the links are located there thanks!

By the way I understand you guys are coming up with some more ideas on the map but lets try to focus on the really important things rather than small little things that can be fixed with easy patches/versions. My main focus right now is just getting most of the important stuff out of the way and completed first so that the map can at least be released in a beta stage so that people can start playing thanks!

Last edited:
Level 12
the recipes in the skills are very confusing, make it in some where else or don't make it at all ;D

I have to disagree with this and so would others, to me there quick access and they are always with you plus if you play the game all the time you should know where the recipes are located or you will just end up remembering all of them by memory. If you keep coming up with more problems then my map maybe just isn't for you? On the other hand if you are having difficulties then write a bunch of things down then type it up into a paragraph rather than just individual postings. I mean I do appreciate the thread bumps but now your just spamming my thread with things you don't like one at a time.

Level 1
I registered a username once I found this thread. I really admire you working so hard on this map so late in the WC3 life cycle and I thought I'd chime in so maybe I could help with the motivation a bit. ;D

My friend and I were playing a LAN game of Wilderness survival 1v1 about a month ago and loving it. It seemed every time we played we were talking about how awesome it would be if someone were to expand upon the idea.

I stumbled upon your thread about 20 minutes ago and couldn't believe it! Someone actually was making it happen!

You are a champion for making this map and I think it really will be appreciated within the community! I wish I could help out but I'm only good for melee maps and primitive triggering within the editor. However if you needed beta-testers i'd be glad to help.

Also, I hope you'll add the possibility of playing with only one team if you haven't already. I couldn't really tell from your original post if you had nor not. Like the poster on the previous page said, it's fun just to stick it out in the wilderness with a friend and with the previous game that wasn't possible.

Again, thanks for all the hard-work man! If I wasn't totally broke I think I'd even make a donation. Keep it up and I'm looking forward to the finished product!

-Chad

Level 4
ice sword should cause more damage or slow, cause it's the same damege that the spear, plus the spear can be shot.

The Bone Helm bug my computer.

Level 1
Very nice map. Fun to play.

Some ideas:

Remove the floating bag. It looks stupid.

Tamed animals should move freely but only attack enemys.

New recipes:
dogs collar- to gain controll of tamed wolf
backpack- that gives u the new bag skill (more slots)
sleeping bag- recieving energy while sleeping faster
waterskin- to carry water
fence- to build it around the base to avoid wolfs entering the base, while u are away from it.

The "story" of this map is, that u are stranded on a winter island? The target should be leaving the island. Maybe final recipe is a big ship. To build it u need a lot of wood, stone, pelt, leather etc...

Tamed rabbits breed, so u get more rabbits to eat.
Neandertalers. CPU controlled enemy tribe.

Hope u will finsh this map and maybe add some new stuff.
Keep on the good work! Its one of the best maps i have ever played in wc3.

Level 12
Ok I think most of you are missing the first post that I wrote mostly everything that is being done to the map and firstly Id like to say yes the map is taking along time to accomplish but I've been really busy lately. Now to answer SonOdin. I'm actually disappointed that you didn't read anything on the very first post of my thread otherwise you wouldn't have asked those questions. The bag isn't there for looks its there to use because I couldn't trigger a better system for a backpack. Also as said in the very first post it has been already removed and replaced with a better system. Dog collar? Doesn't fit the taste of my survival map at all. Sleeping bag? Waste of a recipe & time there are already shelters in the game that recover energy. Waterskin? Another useless recipe there is a Well that you will be able to create in game and move around. Fence? Again as shown in the first post there are wooden walls that you will be able to make. Tamed rabbits breed? And again as shown in the first post all animals and tamed animals will be able to breed. Computer controlled AI's, ok people your asking for alot when it comes to AI control... there are many items and many things that would need to be triggered for them to work properly I don't have the time to do this however it would be a really awesome idea for me to implant it but it mostly likely wont happen sorry.

My map isn't a story its a game. Your idea to create a ship and sail off is basically saying game over. Wilderness Survival is about a fight for survival and more of who can survive the longest not who can be the fastest to get a game win.

-Gausslander
-Miss Foxy
Ummm there are screenshots on the first page that's really all there is. Animals, items, and structures are not spawned in the screenshots plus I don't want to spoil everything.

As for the rest of you there is NO BETA to be released to anyone outside of the testing phase CREATOR/ASSISTANTS/& TESTERS ONLY. When it comes out it comes out and hopefully 100% working with very little problems

Level 8
I'm sorry to hear that there won't be an AI for this map as I like the ability to play a map by myself as do many others I'm sure.

I recently triggered a custom AI on a friends map > Modern War.

It took a while to make (a bit complex) but in the end it turned out quite well. The AI will build all buildings on the map, gather resources, replace any lost workers, rebuild destroyed structures, upgrade to the modern age, defend they're base, train units, form an attack group and attack a human player at random. The point I'm trying to make is it's an intelligent AI.

If your interested I'd be willing to make an AI for your map as I'm a big fan of survival maps.

Just let me know if ya want my help.

And keep up the good work :D

Level 12
I'm sorry to hear that there won't be an AI for this map as I like the ability to play a map by myself as do many others I'm sure.

I recently triggered a custom AI on a friends map > Modern War.

It took a while to make (a bit complex) but in the end it turned out quite well. The AI will build all buildings on the map, gather resources, replace any lost workers, rebuild destroyed structures, upgrade to the modern age, defend they're base, train units, form an attack group and attack a human player at random. The point I'm trying to make is it's an intelligent AI.

If your interested I'd be willing to make an AI for your map as I'm a big fan of survival maps.

Just let me know if ya want my help.

And keep up the good work :D

This map isn't meant to be played alone adding an AI for a survival map such as this wouldn't be very well polished and could ruin the gameplay. It involves almost every aspect of the game, the biggest problem for an AI to have in wilderness survival would be the environment and most likely making items as well. The pace of the AI would either be to slow, slow, fast, or way to fast balancing would take longer to implement. If there were modes to chose from I'm sure most people would pick the slowest difficulty AI if you wanted a fast AI they could just go play multiplayer but my point is everyone would just pick the slowest to figure out the game and slowy build and figure out all the items and what they do, no that's not how its meant to be played. It's suppose to be played online with other players the game is suppose to make you think fast.

Level 12
This game is so damn boring because everyone just leave the game and then it ends. Wow. Realy amazing. Not...

Edit: Changed some words...

Be more descriptive when you say boring.

Just so you know that could happen for any game. Honestly I think this game is amazing thus far and how would you know you haven't played the latest version? The thread specify's Wilderness Survival UPDATES<--- also under map development which means a new version is being created and if you don't like it then don't play it maybe this map isn't for you on the other hand I suggest you actually find people that play my map and give a try because I guarantee that you'll change your mind and say wow this is amazing... As a side note I will admit it does have a learning curve to it and it might take a few games to figure it out but the new version has a revival system so players won't have to leave I'm trying my best to fix all problems and add new features I'm sure all will be satisfied once its released. Thanks!

Level 1
We want map! :p

I have question : How big will it be? I mean, how much space (Mb) does it take?

Level 4
Be more descriptive when you say boring.

Just so you know that could happen for any game. Honestly I think this game is amazing thus far and how would you know you haven't played the latest version? The thread specify's Wilderness Survival UPDATES<--- also under map development which means a new version is being created and if you don't like it then don't play it maybe this map isn't for you on the other hand I suggest you actually find people that play my map and give a try because I guarantee that you'll change your mind and say wow this is amazing... As a side note I will admit it does have a learning curve to it and it might take a few games to figure it out but the new version has a revival system so players won't have to leave I'm trying my best to fix all problems and add new features I'm sure all will be satisfied once its released. Thanks!

I mean the "feature" that the game ends when there are no more enemies. And because the most of the ppl left after some minutes, it was realy annoying to restart the game everytime and just wait for the others to leave. A survival, and not deathmatch more would be cool.

Level 2
I strongly encourage you to set a limit to the "gatherable items respawning". I´ve played a lot of maps with that kind of stuff, and after an hour the game become extremely laggy fault of the thousands respawned items.
Take it as an advice, and good luck with the Beta. Im still playing your map since June 2009, i hope that the changes on the new version doesnt make it a completely diferent map.

MoGg.

Level 12
I strongly encourage you to set a limit to the "gatherable items respawning". I´ve played a lot of maps with that kind of stuff, and after an hour the game become extremely laggy fault of the thousands respawned items.
Take it as an advice, and good luck with the Beta. Im still playing your map since June 2009, i hope that the changes on the new version doesnt make it a completely diferent map.

MoGg.

In the version that you're probably playing Wilderness Survival Co-op 3.0 I would assume, the items actually stop spawning after x seconds so to answer you're question yes there is now a limit. To make it a completely different map is a good question however based on my opinion the newer updates is making this game to what it was suppose to eventually turn into. I can say that you will definitely enjoy this update greatly and how will I know? It's still the Wilderness Survival you know and like I've said I try very hard to keep the game as balanced as possible I only took out what needed to be taken out but if I have taken out something it might have been "improved" or "exchanged" in for something else in return but still keeping the same aspect of the game to survive in a winter cold environment. If you're wondering about how difficult the game will become I will say this, the learning curve for beginners might be kind of higher this time around reason being the environment will be difficult to survive in but it really puts the player in a survival situation. In the original you could easily run around the map like a peace of cake metaphorically speaking and now it literally just puts you in the position where you as a player need to focus on your character to stay alive rather than just running around killing things and trust me the intensity goes way up yes you can resurrect but only to a certain extent but there are dependency's. You still will be doing the some of samething's like in the original but this depends on your own efficiency.

Last edited:
Level 2
yay a release date, but did it really took 1 year to make an update or you just started to work on it like 3 months ago ?

Level 6
Inventory Equipment == BAD BAD BAD

Extended inventory schemes are terrible for gameplay.
Complicated and unrealistic.

Also item charge stacking is ok only if there is a limit to number of charges.

One of the best things in your map is that you have to periodically empty all your inventory inside the base to make room for new stuff. That is what "gathering" really is.

A general advice: Do not complicate it too much.
Most mappers think that having more stuff is always better than having less, but this is rarely the case, especially with items whose recipes are not intuitive.

If you need some really complicated jass work let me know.

Level 12
Inventory Equipment == BAD BAD BAD

Extended inventory schemes are terrible for gameplay.
Complicated and unrealistic.

Also item charge stacking is ok only if there is a limit to number of charges.

One of the best things in your map is that you have to periodically empty all your inventory inside the base to make room for new stuff. That is what "gathering" really is.

A general advice: Do not complicate it too much.
Most mappers think that having more stuff is always better than having less, but this is rarely the case, especially with items whose recipes are not intuitive.

If you need some really complicated jass work let me know.

Extended Inventory? I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to get at here the inventory system is different from all other systems that is from what I've seen thus far if it is simply to (as you suggested) to complicated then I will simply remove it and make a swap with it for something else but for now I think it's easy to use. As a side note I think it's more realistic than last time making the equipment appear as the inventory IMO much more realistic than before. Also you can move any of the equipment you desire there is no specific slot as long as it's labeled equipment. Materials and such cannot however be put into the equipment slots. Bags can easily be opened using the icon menu using the spellbook method.

Limit charges you say, yes that's already done.

Gathering is one of the major aspects of the game which is why it would have been combined with complication if I haven't done what I chose to do. Gathering consists of time alot of time yes you still have to gather but there might be a few things to make it easier and such.

I see your point of statement 3 which is - Most mappers believe having more stuff is always better than having less. My map isn't entirely being added with more of this so called "stuff" it is being replaced or rebuilt with somewhat a few extra things added mostly just tweaks to systems and changes to the environment however I do like adding things but adding simple things as items or units and how they work differently isn't a big a change nor is it effecting the gameplay of Wilderness Survival. I understand where everyone is coming from I respect it but just put this into your mind that its still Wilderness Survival.

Last edited:
Level 1
Please make other version or a mode wihout victory conditions and diplomacy one of my favourite things in survival maps are play whit friends wihout dm
(I make account in hive workshop for this map im a big fan of you)

Level 12
Please make other version or a mode wihout victory conditions and diplomacy one of my favourite things in survival maps are play whit friends wihout dm
(I make account in hive workshop for this map im a big fan of you)

Victory conditions is a must. Its a fight for survival game not a free roam game. As I said before Wilderness Survival is suppose to be a fast paced survival game it makes you think and want to move quick its suppose to get intense by doing this you must fight an opposing team. There are fun modes you can play the 2 listed those will give you 2 hours of time to play with friends against the wilderness should be enough time to explore the game and do everything as well.

Level 12
That's what I'd really love to see.

I'm gett'in tired of play'in Stranded 2 ;)

Single player? What exactly are you looking forward to if it had single player if it is You versus another AI (survivor unit) that won't ever happen I've said this multiple times it would be almost impossible and require alot of trigger work and knowledge to be done other than that the 2 new fun modes only require 1 player to be in game with that being said you can play by yourself.

Level 8
So you can play the map by yourself. Ok great wasn't aware of that.

That is all I was interested in was being able to run the map in singleplay.

That's the way Stranded 2 is. There is no AI opponent in that game! It's strictly Single player. (too bad) Against Nature. Wild animals. Lions and tigers and bears.

Oh my.

I would never ask for any kind of scripted AI opponent.

Whad'ya think I'm tryin 'ta kill ya?

Gee, I didn't even bring my rucksack :/

Level 12
So you can play the map by yourself. Ok great wasn't aware of that.

That is all I was interested in was being able to run the map in singleplay.

That's the way Stranded 2 is. There is no AI opponent in that game! It's strictly Single player. (too bad) Against Nature. Wild animals. Lions and tigers and bears.

Oh my.

I would never ask for any kind of scripted AI opponent.

Whad'ya think I'm tryin 'ta kill ya?

Gee, I didn't even bring my rucksack :/

Wilderness Survival (the map) isn't Stranded 2 so technically they aren't the same although I understand what your trying to say. Scripted AI: I don't think your trying to kill me I'm just letting you know encase you were about to ask about it like a few others have asked in the past.

Level 1
Awesome map dude! I have a last minute proposition! (or you could add it on the next map prior to 3.1) Could you make the color of the player (survivor) blue if they are freezing? Like what you see when they are poisoned (green).. this is only of course to help NOOB players so they DON'T DIE early in the game. And also include an indicator or warning (easy to see in the screen) if they are freezing already so it would not be hard for noob players to keep forgetting to look at the condition of their warthm. Please and thank you! btw the map's really awesome! (haha said it once before!) Godspeed!

Level 12
Awesome map dude! I have a last minute proposition! (or you could add it on the next map prior to 3.1) Could you make the color of the player (survivor) blue if they are freezing? Like what you see when they are poisoned (green).. this is only of course to help NOOB players so they DON'T DIE early in the game. And also include an indicator or warning (easy to see in the screen) if they are freezing already so it would not be hard for noob players to keep forgetting to look at the condition of their warthm. Please and thank you! btw the map's really awesome! (haha said it once before!) Godspeed!

Actually its already in the game but it works differently. When your warmth a.k.a (mana) hits zero/0 you gain hypothermia. Hypothermia reduces your movement speed, degenerates your health points and you are unable to use any sort of abilities and items. Its basically a second life but you have to find a fire or a get a team player to help you.

Level 1
Actually its already in the game but it works differently. When your warmth a.k.a (mana) hits zero/0 you gain hypothermia. Hypothermia reduces your movement speed, degenerates your health points and you are unable to use any sort of abilities and items. Its basically a second life but you have to find a fire or a get a team player to help you.
yeah, I get your point. I know and understand how all things work in the game haha.. I'm just saying that if there is an easily seen indicator for "BEGINNERS" (like what I've said in the previous post, the survivor would turn blue only if they are freezing) so that they don't die a buncha times and so that the experienced (regular players or pros) won't get frustrated on remaking the game over and over again just to make the beginners to finally understand how the warthm/mana works. I'm saying this with all do respect. I don't mean to dictate the game or to offend you or get on your bad side dear creator, your game's so awesome yo! haha.. I'm just saying that it's a really good idea. I'm saying this in part of us playing here who love your game. We keep spreading the game to all our friends and their friend's friends! Keep up developing the masterpiece and God Bless! Godspeed!

Level 1
BTW I'll be studying computer programming (this is next year) after I graduate from my current course. By then I would like to help you in developing the game if it went popular to the public that the people really like it. :)

Level 12
yeah, I get your point. I know and understand how all things work in the game haha..

I don't think you do because I just told you so I will explain it again I stated that it is already in the game but how the unit turns blue is affected differently. I was basically telling you that when you gain hypothermia then you turn blue. Spoiler alert - Also your screen will flash blue as well(you will still be able to see the screen) This same effect works with poison [green] and bleed [red]
I don't announce every detail in the game because I don't want to spoil everything until its been played I don't want to take out all the fun and might I say the map is coming along great.

Last edited:
Level 1
Oh is that so.. okay, gotcha..;) Thanks dear creator >and the condition effect you added there is a nice touch..:) I have no more things to quote about, for now until the map is released..:) We're so thrilled! BTW Merry Cristmas! This new map will be the most awesome christmas gift for us thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.