• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why so much dota hatred?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I can't stop wondering why so much dota hatred on the forums. Why is it that everytime someone wnats to mention a crappy map they end up saying dota?

I know the general dota community really sucks (but that kinda applies for all multiplayer games) but the map itself is a quality one.

Personally, I really like this map. It's addictive, it's highly replayable for an AoS and it has some really tense moments.

Level 14
DotA kicks ass. It was a great and origional map, well made and advanced for the time.

It was then stolen to make DotA:AS. We don't like stolen maps. We don't like great maps being screwed over by someone wanting to become famous off the back of someone else's work.

And we also don't like maps that revolve around shooting your own troops, last hitting enemy troops, and spending most of the game item whoring and avoiding dying.

And the DotA:AS community sucks (I mean, they think using leavers' heroes is cheating...).

Level 21
i think the main reasons that alot of people dislike DotA is

A. It is massively overplayed, 2 out of 3 maps hosted will be DotA
B. It isnt as good as many other fantastic maps which dont get the recognition.
C. After 2 years of me playing it, im getting very bored of it.

Level 19
D. Most spells and icons have been taken from the old but ancient wc3sear.ch which has been turned up to thehiveworkshop.
For now, the creator is ripping original spell idea's from people here, and remaking them in JASS.
Before this, he just ripped them off.
Don't believe me? I have the living proof of a map which spells are included by dota.

Level 18

I completely agree.

Erg.

Level 6
D. Most spells and icons have been taken from the old but ancient wc3sear.ch which has been turned up to thehiveworkshop.
For now, the creator is ripping original spell idea's from people here, and remaking them in JASS.
Before this, he just ripped them off.
Don't believe me? I have the living proof of a map which spells are included by dota.

Thats the whole point of these communities? that you can use the recources. I dont think that the spells creators care about the credits since so great map dota turned out to be

Level 3

If almost all of the maps hosted are DotA, isn't it the community's fault rather than the map itself?

And I know there are better maps out there, but this is indeed a quality one and most of the other maps that deserve recognition are not AoS, they're very different from dota and are also great.

The only true reason I see to dislike DotA:AS is that the map creator stolen may have stolen resources from other people and crediting the accordingly. If it's heavily overplayed, it's the bnetters fault.

Level 8
The problem with DotA is not that it's a bad map, it's just that people don't seem to want to look at anything else. Dota makes it so that it is the only thing that gets the real attention. DotA's made itself into more than just a map. That means that all the DotA players get in the way of the people who only play custom maps, if you take my meaning.

Level 3
The problem with DotA is not that it's a bad map, it's just that people don't seem to want to look at anything else. Dota makes it so that it is the only thing that gets the real attention. DotA's made itself into more than just a map. That means that all the DotA players get in the way of the people who only play custom maps, if you take my meaning.

Yeah it sometimes pisses me off to see nothing other than DotA on the custom games list but isn't it just another sign of how good the map is?

Level 13
Yeah, I mean people used to ask "Do you play Warcraft III?" Now it's "Do you play Dota?"

And in semi-ontopicness, I present you with this picture.

Attachments

• Regret_by_ShrimpuS.jpg
    Regret_by_ShrimpuS.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 988
Level 3
Or a sign of how people just like to play maps that they can get a rigged hero and own anything in their paths, and then brag about how great they are at WC3.

Balance is such a problem on AoS maps and DotA deals really fine with it, if you consider there are almost a hundred heroes and items.

Yeah, I mean people used to ask "Do you play Warcraft III?" Now it's "Do you play Dota?"

And in semi-ontopicness, I present you with this picture.

QFT, unfortunately.

Level 14
People hate DotA because DotA people think DotA is popular.

DotA:AS has never been very popular. Sheep tag, kodo tag, ToB, some vampire maps, Sked's battleships, and so on and so forth...all were more popular. DotA's 'popularity' didn't come about until after the makers of all of the others moved on...as did the people who played them.

DotA:AS's fans have stayed to a larger degree. This means that, as a proportion of players, they have gotten bigger. This is mainly due to other maps no longer being supported, and the number of players falling - WC3 is an old game.

Age killed WC3, not DotA:AS. Get a memory, kids. DotA:AS used to be a child amongst behemoths, it just happens to be the one that still gets updated. The other map makers had lives and grew up.

DotA is decent map.
3/4 of the heroes are absolute rushed crap and the rest are well done, polished, fun to play and have unique abilities no other hero has. The crap heroes are useless.
And it has 80 heroes to choose from. WHY? There are only 20-30 that actually stand a chance and are fun to play!

It just doesn't deserve its popularity.

Besides, Wc3 will die in a year or two, and then DotA will be remade for Starcraft 2, and will get drowned in thousands of new maps.

Level 8
If SCII is as big an editing jump from WCIII as WCIII was from SC, it will be easy (well, possible) to make maps that are insanely more fun to play than DotA. Anyway, they will have to completely remake DotA when SCII comes out. That should give us all a bit of a grace period on getting a DotA killer out there.

Level 26
People hate DotA because DotA people think DotA is popular.

DotA:AS has never been very popular. Sheep tag, kodo tag, ToB, some vampire maps, Sked's battleships, and so on and so forth...all were more popular. DotA's 'popularity' didn't come about until after the makers of all of the others moved on...as did the people who played them.

DotA:AS's fans have stayed to a larger degree. This means that, as a proportion of players, they have gotten bigger. This is mainly due to other maps no longer being supported, and the number of players falling - WC3 is an old game.

Age killed WC3, not DotA:AS. Get a memory, kids. DotA:AS used to be a child amongst behemoths, it just happens to be the one that still gets updated. The other map makers had lives and grew up.
Dota isn't popular? please tell me one modern day second in time where you can't see DotA on the custom game listings. There aren't too many of those.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Thats the whole point of these communities? that you can use the recources. I dont think that the spells creators care about the credits since so great map dota turned out to be
Most spell creators ask for credits, and OBVIOUSLY the others who don't ask, want them to be given too.
I don't see any credit to Darky29 for the Chain Frost spell. Or credit to Razorclaw X for most spells taken from Wanderers of Sorceria?

Our problem is the present and the future, the past is gone. It was good, but it is gone. Now DotA Allstars is probably the most played map out there. And not all map makers "had lives and grew up"; once again I blame WoW for sucking half of the Warcraft III players AND MODDERS to it. As soon as Starcraft II is done, we can say goodbye to Wc3.

As soon as SCII hits the shelves, we're going to have a huge drop in players.
That's what I've been saying the whole time. People insist that most people will stay. I doubt it. WoW was RPG, but Starcraft is also a RTS, so I doubt it'll leave much people around here. It's as if we had an Arthas coming for us, us being the High Elves.

As for the Wc3 DotA to Sc2 DotA, I doubt that happens. Warcraft III is a mix of RPG and RTS with the addition of heroes. Starcraft II will have no heroes I believe. That means there's little or no chance for all the Sc2 spells to be re-created and modded to DotA's favor.

And if DotA was to move to Sc2, Warcraft III would come to an end. Most people even bought Wc3 only to play DotA.

Level 5
Thing is, in my eyes... I played SC as one of my first games that I kept playing. I grew up knowing that I could constantly replace units easily. That I could send millions of Zerg to die, and not need to macro/micro them unless I needed to. Then I played war3. I didn't have as much resources as I used to, AND, the more units I had reduced the amount of income I had. So I had a hard time picking which way to go. Then the heroes. When I first played. I was just like, meh... Screw em. Then I learned that they are NEEDED to play =/. (Basically). They may put heroes into SC2, I wouldn't mind it. Just as long as it's not the basis of it. Kinda how war3 is.

In Starcraft, I could fire and forget my units. In war3, I have to fire and watch them. =/

Oh, and if DOTA is made into SC2, I will break their maps =o.

I personally don't like the idea of DOTA. I just don't find fun in if I die, I lose money, and they gain money. I'm fine with them gaining, but me losing it? If not giving him money from me dieng put me behind on items, and then the respawn time for putting me behind in EXP, I now LOSE money too, setting me back even further. I just don't like the idea of being set back two steps and they being put up another step. I'm fine with dieng, losing a bit exp, and them gaining some money. But then, I can't buy anything after I died, and then it just stacks, because he CAN and I CAN'T buy any good items.

All in all, I prefer lots of units having a large meat party, compared to 1 on 1's, and then someone steals the kill, or runs away. Which is why I loved SC, it was a gigantic Meat Party. (Especially the zerg)

Level 25
I will just up and here say that DotA won't be on SC2 because of the highly possible lack of heroes in SC2

No heroes means no leveling up (At least without a leveling trigger system which the map maker needs to create), and with no items there goes about 3 quaters of DotA in about ten seconds

Therefore Warcraft 3 will probably still hold a majority of the crowd for AoS maps, though I do see a few good ones coming on SC2. But nothing can dethrone DotA now, it's a juggernaut and there's no stopping it

Level 14
Dota isn't popular? please tell me one modern day second in time where you can't see DotA on the custom game listings. There aren't too many of those.

Everything else is merely unpopular. Notice how there are far less listings at any one time than there used to be? Meaning those 5 DotA games being hosted makes up a bigger proportion than the 10 sheep tag games that used to be listed at a time, for example.

And I have seen quite a few instances of DotA not being on the listings.

Level 8
Whitehorn, are you trying to start flamewars? First you're calling a guy gay on the pics of you and your freinds thread, and now you are making someone's small mistake and making it worth a whole post...

Level 13
Technically, Whitehorn does this because he thinks he can get away with it, he sees his join date and goes "Oh boy! I'm older than the Hive, I can do whatever I damn well please!"

Basically, all Whitehorn needs is a good suckerpunch in the face from reality.

But Back On-Topic: I think the whole DotA thing is a huge chain reaction.

Mappers make their maps with hopes of having be played, but DotA really ruins their morale, and they don't see why they should bother.

Level 8
Mappers make their maps with hopes of having be played, but DotA really ruins their morale, and they don't see why they should bother.

Definately. Also, DotA palyers in my experience (by far the largest faction of WC3 players) look at a map and say, "Is it DotA, or at least an AoS that clones DotA well? No? Then screw you, it's a piece of junk."

Level 26
what i hate about dota players is that they think how well they play in dota measures the size of their penis, or some other metaphorical pride. I say "you suck at this game" and they're always like, "ok, 1v1 apem" or something like that. They're like the stereotypical american, can't see a world past the one they live in.
also, i'd like to point out that wc3 is anything but dead. it may not be what it used to be, but it's still the most played rts, and is a very great and customizable game, full of oppurtunity. on xfire, i believe its fame is second to only WoW.

Level 7
stereotypical american
Just like a stereotypical non-american.

I feel that we hate DotA just because it steals so much from others and doesn't even give credit... You can think of DotA as fads.. everyone does it thinking its the best thing but in reality is stupid. Theres plenty of AoSes which kick DotA's ass (aotz, lol2, tob, etc.) but people who play dota think that everything else is crap. Their reason? Dota is the most hosted map. If dota players would give any other maps a chance without saying zomg dis is are dota copy! it are have lanes and heros!!!11! then they would realize these maps are as good or better.

Level 26
Er wtf? WC3 isn't even on the top 10 list, and WoW is 2nd..
really? i must not have checked very often.
Just like a stereotypical non-american.
Sorry, you missed the mark. I was born, raised, and still live in California, which, last i heard, was a part of america. I was referring to how the most common american stereotype was that they didn't know there were other countries on earth. maybe i should have clarified what "stereotypical" meant.
I feel that we hate DotA just because it steals so much from others and doesn't even give credit... You can think of DotA as fads.. everyone does it thinking its the best thing but in reality is stupid. Theres plenty of AoSes which kick DotA's ass (aotz, lol2, tob, etc.) but people who play dota think that everything else is crap. Their reason? Dota is the most hosted map. If dota players would give any other maps a chance without saying zomg dis is are dota copy! it are have lanes and heros!!!11! then they would realize these maps are as good or better.
i never knew that dota stole anything, however i hate it with a passion, mostly because it's not anything special. heroes fighting each other. WOW! BONUS POINTS FOR ORIGINALITY! BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD!!! sure, it has a bunch of fancy spells and sound effects, but that still doesn't change the fact that it's just a bunch of heroes fighting each other, which we've had for years and years and years. the minute i get bored of an aos, which doesn't take very long, i begin to see it everywhere.

Level 8
Just noticed this while browsing games this morning. Kudos to the B-net community for diversity in map selection. [/SARCASM]

Attachments

• DotA is Overplayed.JPG
    DotA is Overplayed.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 142
Status
Not open for further replies.