• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I have some questions about Dota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
My questions are why all communities hate the popular map DOTA. And where they went wrong.

1-5 Spell Questions

1. After reading an entire forum of people ragehating on dota i have found they dislike that DOTA did not give credit for spells, my 1st question is would Dota be more accepted had they given credit?

2. I read also that dota uses lack of creativity in their spells, An AOS from my understanding is usually fast paced spells, and i was wanting a few examples of quick cast GUI spells that are creative and fun to use.

3. I read that people dislike that everyone is trying to copy dota spells and it is ruining the diversity of WC3, My question is if people are using these spells in their map doesn't that mean that they like the spell because it is appealing to them? If so wouldn't dota have spell creativity enough for people to at least infer about a spell from their game?

4. I read that most "DOTAerz" are not map makers and that is why they aren't entitled to help from the community, I understand that people don't like to waste their time but if people helped these so called DOTAerz do you think they could eventually make a better version of DOTA.

5. What elements is dota lacking that makes it unattractive to WC3 players?

I only ask these questions because it seems like every AOS map on this site has someone QQing about how it is too similar to dota, and i am wondering 1. what the problem with dota is, and 2. What makes an AOS like or unlike DOTA they're all AOS maps.

Thank you i hope i can get some of these questions clarified?

This isn't the right forum for this. It fits more in Triggers/Scripts, World Editor Help Zone, Offtopic and Gaming Discussions, but to try to answer your queries:

1. Yes.

2. Use the spells section. Its called searching.

3. Yes, who said DoTa spells were uncreative in the first place? They have some neat abilities, and that is coming from me, who is a non-fan.

4. Yes, everyone and anyone can.

5. It is destroying Wc3 diversity as said, hogs most of the attention, and makes mappers jealous because it is quite simple yet so successful.

Level 4
thank you. I was thinking of where to put this when i was looking through the forums, My logic is that these are questions about the development of the game of dota so Map development seemed like the place haha.

My question number 2 is stating that it is hard to make alot of creativity in quick cast spells. Plus dota has the luxury of being the 1st huge WC3 AOS so they can get away with having basic spells like Storm bolt and Devotion aura on the same hero. so i do agree with you on number 5.

But i also think Tower Defense maps do very well for how simple they are, Example Legion and Green TD.

I don't know how to move the topic though so i'll just see who replies.

Personally i like dota for the fast paced team battles. I am trying to work on an AOS that combines the best elements of DOTA League of Legends and HON. and I just want to know how people would welcome an AOS style map, and what elements would be necessary and unnecessary

Level 9
thank you. I was thinking of where to put this when i was looking through the forums, My logic is that these are questions about the development of the game of dota so Map development seemed like the place haha.

My question number 2 is stating that it is hard to make alot of creativity in quick cast spells. Plus dota has the luxury of being the 1st huge WC3 AOS so they can get away with having basic spells like Storm bolt and Devotion aura on the same hero. so i do agree with you on number 5.

But i also think Tower Defense maps do very well for how simple they are, Example Legion and Green TD.

I don't know how to move the topic though so i'll just see who replies.

Personally i like dota for the fast paced team battles. I am trying to work on an AOS that combines the best elements of DOTA League of Legends and HON. and I just want to know how people would welcome an AOS style map, and what elements would be necessary and unnecessary
basically in Wc3 I've found 3 types of people
1- DotA player, 90% of them don't wanna do anything but play DotA and have no respect for any other type of map made in Wc3
this might explain the DOTAers thing to you
2- Pg player , and same here 80-90% of even them just like the old standard game and don't play anything else
3- Custom gamers - most of these people like every map leaving DotA and Pg
and they got a great number of map making which are the ones present here
most of the people here are surely not fans of DotA and so yea you can't expect much attention over it by them
it's not the fault of DotA or IceFrog but the people who simply wanna give up everything for it.
Blizzard introduced the WorldEditor with Great features which can take the gaming experience of Wc3 to much higher levels, The people here opt for them and yea they would like to see more new things coming up except the so called "DotA Rip offs"

Level 4
Thank you for your input as well.

My question is that most AOS maps could be considered dota rip offs even the ones that are pre Dota. I don't understand that. Is there another way to Make an AOS that is not a DOTA rip off?

I do agree that there are a ton of great maps, my thing is i don't enjoy Most of the RPG games made here because they are either boring or have too many other than wc rip offs for example naruto maps, i am sick of anime maps. The most fun maps are TD's, AOS because they have a competition either player vs computer or player vs player aspect that allows for a good time. I just don't get that feeling from some of these maps, either do to lack of effort, or lack of knowledge.

Sorry for ranting but I am just trying to understand what i can do to not have my AOS go under with all the wreckage that dota has. I do agree though the world editor has some amazing features that DOTA and Td's dont even come close to unlocking their potential. I love some of the Underwater Terrains i have seen but i have never seen a good map to utilize them.

IDK what do you think?

DoTa has actually out-stereotyped the AoS genre, so when they see an AoS, they immediately call it a 'DoTa clone'. What MrStormyZ is true. Most DoTa players have no respect for quality maps (I have real friends who do this).
RPGs have always been boring (have you ever played Oblivion?), but they are much more in-depth, like Gaias Retaliation for example. I actually think that TDs and AoSs lack effort and knowledge, as they are relatively easier to make and trigger.

There are many options to make an AoS unique. No one's tried an RPG/AoS/RTS merge. So, for example, in the beginning you choose 4 different heroes from any tavern to be your squad(this represents the RTS/strategy, as you control more than 1 unit). These 4 heroes have unique abilities, stats etc, and a unique inventory and skill tree(RPG). You can even add a storyline(more RPG). Lastly, the good old AoS feel, with hordes of creeps running around.
Hey, I never realised how unique that is! I might actually make a map like that one day!

Level 4
That was my exact idea for my map after i finish my AOS haha. but i see what you need, I didn't think about controlling 4 heros though. seems like alot of work but very final fantasy esc. But i would definately work on that RPG after my AOS lol i put that in my BIO.

Status
Not open for further replies.