• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Create-ur-own Dota Hero Builder Map (Yes, yet another Dota ripoff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
AoS:Legends - Custom Hero Builder AoS

Ah yes the ever popular map Dota that ripped some ideas off and now everyone is ripping their ripped ideas off. Yes my map is based on Dota, yes it uses the Dota template and yes even some Dota skills. The one main difference I would like to see is people creating their own heroes and enjoying it rather than playing some pre-made ones with already mapped out strategies and builds. I created this map basically for my friends and a few people to play, I just want to share it with you all. So, this is what I would like Dota to be.

Name: AoS: Legends (not yet final)

Map Type: Technically AoS, but more of Hero Arena since it is entirely focused on hero building and slaying; and all other units are just fodder.

Game Focus: Hero builds, there won't be any god-like items for people to farm and collect; the most important choice is your hero skills because it will determine your build. Focused on heroes; not units, not AoS strategies, not hiring creeps, not upgrades, not items, not money, but heroes. Meant to be a non-serious map that aims to see how people would create their own heroes.

Terrain: Dota-template by SD_Ryoko and AceHart

Heroes: Self made, self concepts(some inspired), self backgrounds, not self named tho(some names taken from other media), 36 total heroes

Units: Basic Dota Creeps

Items: None as of yet. I am planning to add stat bonuses, damage bonuses, hp and mana bonuses and speed bonuses. There wont be any items that give you new skills because it will mess up selecting your hero's skills.

Abilities: All done by myself with some help from these forums. Mostly trigger based and added my own unique spell ideas. Thank you Dalaran_Guard for helping me with backstab, I will credit you in the final version. As of now, has 91 skills that can be chosen. Final level abilities damages are based on your hero's stats to allows further expansion of skill damages.

Beta: Please check for bugs especially in the spells. Mainly damage, mana cost and cooldown, if they are too uber.

Map Future: Hopefully if the spell ideas and heroes are good enough I can transfer them to a terrain of my own design and build my own creeps and make it more Aos-y.

Showcase: Mainly abilities, I want to show people what I can do with the ability editor, tho some ideas are not original (i used my own way of creating them from scratch rather than copy-pasting some jass script, that at least i can take pride on)

Progress: 70% ---> Still needs more spells, killing sprees and basic items.

Self-Rating: As a mapper: 3.5/5 As a player: 4/5

For Map Updates - look down below in this thread, newer version of the map are also attached to the latest update thread

Last edited:
Level 4
I got a suggestion i think this would be a wonderfull idea for end game, you know that point in the game where ur max lvl and ur inventory is full, make it so if you have ur inventory full and ur max lvl u can buy +str,+agi+intell, because i dont know about you guys but i hate it when i get to the point where i have nothing to spend my money on

Level 9
My views

well there are two things a wanna point out....

Firstly change the stat system... Make it so in the start of the game you only pick a hero for his model file and range. Then set base armor, attack recharge according to the range and starting mana or health according to the primary attribute. e.g strength will have more health. So when u pick a hero it is the same as all of the other heroes in his class. This will help to maintain the balance most custom hero maps don’t have. Add a spell book that allows you to manipulate your stats every level. which allows you to actually build your hero?

secondly and sadly... This is a dota style map (not a rip off because dota is a sort of map like an AoS ect) and since there is already a sucsessful dota i doubt this would take off... with lack of support you would probably not carry on updating it and it would become just another old map (like the ones that fill your maps folder that you never play). Many good maps are lost to the evil festering wound that is dota...

A few other this are:
*Fix the multiboard. Instead of a column for kills and one for deaths combine them to a kill/death column.
*Very nice terraining :)
*if you follow my advice about that stats DO NOT add merchant that you can buy stats from because that would defy the point of using yours for a proper build
*Item :) lots of items (i no there are non cuz this is a alpha version)
*More buildings (maybe make each tower a camp? with a barracks and range building that upgrade attackers units? makes the game interesting)

That’s bout it... btw a few more custom spells would be nice...
If it wasn’t for DOTA All-stars this would probably do quite well.
Im not trying to be harsh just realistic..

Level 6
I would love to rebuild the stat system to a more complex one, but I can't do it in a full customize. Why? Many people would pool their stat points into one attribute, causing massive imbalance. Imagine the spell Elemental Bolt, which deals 900% Int damage; now imagine a custom unit with 225 Int points, he would be able to deal so much damage. Plus I want the stats to match the hero model, I also need to prevent long range strength heroes.

The terrain was done by SD_Ryoko and AceHart

Any comments on the spells?

And thank you very much for testing.

My primary stat settings are Melee Agility heroes have .5 second less attack cooldown as compared to other heroes and all agility heroes run faster.

Level 9
i see your point but the idea of a custom hero is to customize your hero? sure the Elemental Bolt would deal a huge amount of damage but the hero would have basicaly no health?
He would get owned if he didnt get the 1st shot in?
but its ur map... my advice was just what i want to see in a custom hero map...
And i didnt have time to look at all the abilities...

Level 6
Hahaha for those with high mana but with no life, i suggest you use the mage armor spell. Anyways, I am putting a lot of different heroes with different stat builds to balance things out; I want the game to be as playable as possible and i doubt people will have time(neither do i) to rethink entire stat builds and ability choices. Anyways, thank you again for testing; I hope to be able to bring this map to battle.net soon.

Level 6
BETA v.5 Update

Fixed a lot of bugs, including Multiplayer support. (Yes the old one did not support multiplayer)

Here's a newer version:
New commands: -ms, -rmk, -suicide, -revive
New Abilities - More trigger enhanced custom abilities
Fixed Multiplayer Support
Fixed Killing Sprees
Balanced Bounty Hunter and Will of the Defiant, both of which were too powerful
Fixed revive a bit, still buggy on some occasions
Now actually playable with a friend

Test out this working version now!

Last edited:
Level 5
Ummmm i tested ur map and i think its pretty great..

i think u need more abilities and more heros tho, coz its kinda hard 2 make a good themed hero while just using the abilities for its type (str int agi)
i rlly think the ent hero is awesome! itd be great 2 see 2 more int heroes (an agi and an int one) but make the str one have ancient of war model, int one have ancient of lore model, and agi one have ancient of wind model :)
ur map kicks ass

Level 6
Hmmm I guess I could add a few more spell and heroes, but now I'm focusing on items and bug checking...I think I will be able to post a new version soon. Abilities and heroes are my last priority now since I have made enough for testing purposes and will make more only after I have wrapped things up. Thank you for testing by the way. I think ill implement ur idea later on as hybrid Int/Str and Agi/Str heroes.

Level 8
i love this map great job!
I only tested 4 spells but the Wrath of Pyros one, for a better looking effect to go with the art, couldnt it be changed to an ability based off fan of knives (without the missile effects)? That way units would die as the flame radiate outwards, rather than die as soon as the spells cast.

Also you might want to make sure units dont blink into the hero selection area or spell selection area. Not sure how but it might cause bugs. Also when i blinked into the hero area i got teleported to the spell selection zone, easily allowing me to teleport in the enemy base.

Level 6
Well the problem with that and most spells...units really do die instantly because final level spells are based of your character's attributes, which means most of the spell damage are triggered. It would be too complicated to trigger a wave that deals certain damage to a certain point after a certain time.

About using spells, under the spell selection area...units are not allowed to attack or cast spells...Ill try to find a way of stopping that though.

My only problem is if I add too many spells or heroes, people wont be able to maximize or even test every single one of them and just use the one they think is strong. Most of the spells here are unique in the nature that they are used, such some spells are built for spamming and killing waves of creeps while others are bent manipulating the area for you advantage.

Thank you again for testing :)

Level 6
BETAv.9 Update

This update contains a few new features:
-added gold every 10 seconds
-added a new command: "-damage" and "-damageoff" these commands causes damage taken to show overhead of units
-Fixed more spell bugs
-Added bosses
-Added basic Items
-Added 3 recipe items
-Fixed terrain a little bit
-Fixed bug that causes you to increase levels of your skills when reincarnating

All credits will be mentioned in the release version as I am currently adding a few imported stuff.

Here are some screens of abilities and spells.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 54,152
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 7,114
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 70,664
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 1,636
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 1,815
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 5,491
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 2,969
Last edited:
Level 6
10 times? Then u should have noticed the tons of bugs in it by now I hope, if not....damn maybe i dont have to fix bugs that people dont notice anyways...or maybe I'm just paranoid about having bugs? hmmm

Well thank you again for playing, please place in comments and suggestions in this thread...i need comments on the spells and general balancing...

Level 5
Well there was a few bugs I noticed, for one thing, the spells cooldown go alittle to fast, not really a bug, but its less then normal.

A real bug is when your that mannoroth looking guy, you barely see it but I caught it, his spells flinch, the spell barely moves and curves around and it lasts longer for a few half seconds which make the attack start over, but the damage is still there.I found that on a old guide.Makes the attack very powerful and its out of balance, you need to look carefully since theres alot of animations. You can just see it when you cast his spells.

Not really a bug again, but the heros eather level to fast or to slow, its not that balance, your bugs are really hard to catch, im glad I have 20/20 vision.

Last bug I barely caught was the fighting, when your attacking the animation slows down, just like dota, the guys would eather shake, stop, do a .5 second move. Im really good at critisizing and noticing bugs, tell me when the new version comes out.

Overal, there is barely no lag unless you have a host with a shitty internet named Dial-up. the bugs aren't really to bad, most Orpg and Dota like games have them, you need Jass to fix them up, GUI can't fix those kind of bugs, trust me, I grew up with Warcraft1 then 2 and now 3.

Edit: I just forgot, you see, most of your spells arent balanced, they have awsome animation and skins, but if you look very very very closely, you will see how unbalanced they are, like I said again, its not to bad, but it has some % of making the attack double, which will make a player scream there head off if they die. For example, Orc Gladiators has HORRIBLE UNBALANCED SPELLS, never play that game if your a super nerd like me lol. All there spells are eather unbalanced or unresonable. You may want to change some of your spells Aoe effects or the spell overall if you want it super nerd perfect:p

Level 5
I need a second page lol

well anyway, gota critisize this, dude, most of your spells go LONG range, which looks awsome, but its kinda cheap if someones running away and you get em, well that cool, you just killed them but thats how people leave in dota, they wuss out, and most people who wuss out are really pros. You should shorten your spell distance or atlease change the AOE. Overall This is a very good map, and the spells, omg, they pwn and look cool.

One last thing I should mention is the terrian, very Dota like lol, not to bad, but in the past I heard that there was this map just like dota, and Icefrog got pissed off and the guys map got all messed up and destoryed, if you never heard that, you like dota..... Watch out man, Icefrog may sound nice, but he hates maps that look like his.

BTW, Nice design with the heros, the builds are pretty good for any hero, most of them have the same AOE function, like ice and poison had simaliar AOE distance and effects, just different speeds and colors.

Very good map, I would rate it 6/5 compared to Dota
Would rate it 3/5 for the bugs into the game
Would rate is 10/5 Overal

Level 6
Thank you for criticizing, I know the bug your talking about...its when damage is dealt using triggers using the event a unit is attacked, because of such, the damage is dealt before the attack animation is completed..hence giving the unit another extra round of attack if ever the unit dies from the triggered damage...this is a bug found on God's strength, bounty hunter and will of the defiant. My only solution is, know that cleave spell in neverwinter nights? wherein your character gets an extra round of attack after killing some1? Consider that a bonus effect since i have problems with that bug(i.e. minimum wait time is .2 sec, unreasonable for attacks)...if this was a dota game, i would just use dummy spells to trigger damages to fix this, but the final level damages here are based on attributes, so i m forced to use triggers instead.

About the AoE, yes I am notorious about long range spells hehehe I will fix that soon. The terrain isnt made by me, it's made by SD_Ryoko and AceHart, it's a dota template map they made for any1 who wants to make their own dota map. In the newer version, I edited the tileset instead of using the ashenvale one and added a few effects to differentiate it from the current dota version.

The cooldown part is for balancing, I noticed that some spells are not as powerful as others, so the only reason people will pick them for is shortened cooldown = more usage. Spells like black heaven deal damages in a small area randomly in a wide chance radius, because of that, it cant hit the hero you want everytime and the spell finishes in around 6 seconds(a short wait interval between all 13 meteors), thus not instant, giving the enemy hero ample time to escape. Shortening the cooldown will make the spell a little bit more useful.

There will be more spells in the newer version, including lifesteal, a single target meathook and many more. Other adjustments would be more recipe items, boss balancing(seems like any str hero with god's strength can kill the boss easily), counter-stun gives more immunities. Im also trying to complete at least another 10 heroes in the next update(the only downside is they would have to be story-less since my head is way too cramped to think of character stories).

The new version also contains a -war mode I'm building, its sorta like one of those 3 corridor maps wherein there are tons of allied/enemy creeps spawns and a variety of creeps instead of the same ones. In this mode, towers will also be fortified to balance things out.

Dota isnt IceFrog's if I remember Guinsoo released it as open-source when he quit the map....well im not so sure...

Level 5
l33t5up4h4x0r;239133 Dota isnt IceFrog's if I remember Guinsoo released it as open-source when he quit the map....well im not so sure...[/QUOTE said:
Its been his ever since the first version, look it up.

I just want to point out a few bugs that the war mode might have, since theres going to be a hell alot of spawnage, the map my get to full and crash if people have low memory, or the allies will get stuck together and the enemy can get them a few at a time, and if you want to make a run for it, your units will block you and the enemy will finish you off. The towers will have to be fortified very well, big armer that will balance everything out, can't make them to strong or to weak:)

Level 6
Its been his ever since the first version, look it up.

Guinsoo and Eul made Dota, IceFrog made Dota Allstars...so it's different.

I have made precautions in spawnage by limiting the total maximum number of creeps per side. This mode is not an official mode since AoE nukers will have a big advantage and people might get stuck, although you can use the varying pathways to prevent this.

As a bonus, I will be adding sound clips and music from the 300 for a more honor/glory/war/kick-ass feel to it.

Level 9
Guinsoo did create dota. And to tell you the truth it was pretty bad. The triggering was horrible ect. Then IceFrog created dota allstars and hell froze over.
Damn the 300 still hasnt come out in South Africa, just make sure you dont push the file size up too much.

Level 6
Release Version: March of Darkness v1.0

I renamed the map to March of Darkness or MoD for short.

This is based on both sides being "evil" and fighting for supremacy.

This is version 1.0

Updates:
-terrain tileset changed to Northerned
-changed trees
-added weather effects
-added battle music "The 300 - Fever Dream" (1.17mb)
-added 5 new agility heroes and 5 new strength heroes
-added 8 new ability skills
:Meathook: Single target, snags unit back to caster
:Avalanche: Area Effect, stuns and deals damage
:Lifesteal: Each attack return % agility
:Vampiric Rage(Ulti): +lifesteal and +damage, does not stack with Lifesteal
:Moonfire: Single target spam spell
:Starfire: Area Effect damage spell
:Charge of Darkness(Ulti): Rushes toward unit at 522 ms, stun & dmg
-added 2 new item combines
-Changed The Ancients to The Corrupted
-Fixed a few more bugs
-added war mode(incomplete)
-Fixed starting money
-Fixed a few Balancing Issues

Total of 46 heroes
Total of +/-100 spells

Last edited:
Level 5
I checked it out, I don't see warmode yet. But anyway I tested it again I found absolutly no bugs! I have no idea what the music sounds like since my speakers don't work:(

Level 5
War mode can be activated by typing -war at the start of the game. It will be disabled after 10 seconds if you dont type it. Thank you again for testing, I will take a break for a while on this map and build a small project i will post here soon.

Alright, will miss the new updates but do whateva ur gona do:)

Level 6
1.12b Update

Here's a long lost update containing a few things:

-temporarily removed music for filesize
-added 14 new heroes
-added 3 new spells
-added a new mode lichking mode
-changed forsaken main base

Lich King Mode
-activated by typing "-lichking"
-The team whose player types it loses all their heroes and instead shares one demigod-like hero, the lich king to fight all heroes of the opposing faction
-It is recommended to be played with 6 players only, one controlling the lich king and five others of the opposing faction

The next update will feature all 72 heroes and much more skills!

Attachments

• MoD v1.12b.w3x
    806.2 KB · Views: 182
Status
Not open for further replies.