• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why do you hate DOTA..??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
I've shown DotA to most of my friends, and the only ones who hate it are the ones who have to play against me. It's a very deep game, with so much happening that it's hard to grasp. Even after 5+ years of playing I sometimes get wrecked in pubs (which is embarassing).

The DotA community is really hostile. Unlike most other PvP games, the active leveling/gold increase from kills makes noobs a very, very bad thing. In a game such as sheep tag you can recover from a noob on your team. In DotA, you cannot. When someone goes 0/8 by 15 minutes they've thrown the game right out the window. It's created a noob-hate enviroment that just gets unbelievably tense. The snowball effect is very present in DotA, so you can't recover from a bad start either.

Throw in a retardedly high skill curve. Not only do you have to know what your hero does, you have to know what all other 100+ (don't remember the exact number) heroes do. You have to pick the right item/skill build for the situation, or you get wrecked. You have to pay attention to what your enemies pick so you don't get countered. You have to ward 24/7 to prevent ganks. You have to execute your heroes combo perfectly or your entire team dies. There are so many split second decisions in DotA that small mistakes cost you the game. There are so mnay variables ans factors that you have to take into account that change every single game, it's part of the reason I love it, and part of the reason why it's a very hard game to learn.

Players who are coming in from LoL and HoN don't have the skills to play DotA successfully. A lot of new players come from other AoS games and expect to be able to pick up DotA in a second. Sometimes that happens, but more often then not those players feed, rage, yell at the team, and leave. I just played a game today where a LoL player fed, didn't buy a single item, flamed the lobby for 20 minutes, and left. It was annoying as hell.

There are some people who blindly hate DotA after trying it only once or twice. That's fine. They can think Icefrog is a noob mapmaker or w/e, but DotA will always be fun to me.

And the DotA 2 beta is interesting :)

Level 16
Well, you see, it isn't actually "hate". Most people just dislike DotA for being, as Jazztastic puts it, really unfriendly to new players, having a really hostile and unappreciative community, and, excuse my language, a metric fuckton of heroes, strategies and counters and yet only a small number is really viable due to people not wanting to experiment and lose and being called out as a "noob" or having their entire family, both maternal paternal, insulted to hell and back. Also, the terrain gets old after repeated plays.

Aside from that, DotA can be pretty fun. Its just the people on pub games who make it look like a total shitstorm, really.

Level 12
For one, I'm not attracted to these kind of games. While others may find it enjoyable, one thing I especially dislike about dota is the "pointlessness" of the game. You play a game, win and then what? Brag about it? Maybe. But even so, not even the results of your game are recorded. Maybe in a screenshot or a replay, but that's about it. To me, that defeats the whole idea of the game, making it more of a pointless timekiller than an actual accomplishing game.

Another reason is the shitload of retards and elitist that populate 90% of all games in dota. Almsot unquestionably, there will be at the bare minimum, one asshole in every game and one person dubbed a noob. This makes it very non-newbie friendly. Another thing is how sensitive these people can be. Correct them and they'll rage at you threatening to do something I'd expect that relates to a certain dirty body part, one of which is very popular would be the vagina despite 99% of the Dota fanbase is male. Not only is this shown in games, but this is also displayed very prominently in these people's lives. If many of your friends play Dota, and if you don't, then they would dub you to be a freakin' noob. Oh well.

So yes, I generally dislike Dota. But I have to admit it is a very good custom mod. And again, yes, it can be fun but that's only if you play among your non-douchebag friends.

Level 16
For one, I'm not attracted to these kind of games. While others may find it enjoyable, one thing I especially dislike about dota is the "pointlessness" of the game. You play a game, win and then what? Brag about it? Maybe. But even so, not even the results of your game are recorded. Maybe in a screenshot or a replay, but that's about it. To me, that defeats the whole idea of the game, making it more of a pointless timekiller than an actual accomplishing game.

Another reason is the shitload of retards and elitist that populate 90% of all games in dota. Almsot unquestionably, there will be at the bare minimum, one asshole in every game and one person dubbed a noob. This makes it very non-newbie friendly. Another thing is how sensitive these people can be. Correct them and they'll rage at you threatening to do something I'd expect that relates to a certain dirty body part, one of which is very popular would be the vagina despite 99% of the Dota fanbase is male. Not only is this shown in games, but this is also displayed very prominently in these people's lives. If many of your friends play Dota, and if you don't, then they would dub you to be a freakin' noob. Oh well.

So yes, I generally dislike Dota. But I have to admit it is a very good custom mod. And again, yes, it can be fun but that's only if you play among your non-douchebag friends.
True that. Although I've never saw any vagina-based insult. Although the "your friends play dota, you're not, they call you noob" may or may not be really prominent.

Level 37

This happens in many games from dota to all the way to shooting games. This is what usually multi-player games are all about. Having fun for few minutes and then another game.

Level 22
I have to admit in ladder, war3 even sc2 ladder even more, there is no such kiddies trashltaking that much, while in dota it's every 2nd game or so. Whenever you do well. you don't see trashtalk but if someone is feeding, it's understandable. Dota is competitive, that's what many people find fun, rather than some TDs or RPGs

Level 22
I don't hate it, but I don't like it nearly as much as some other AoS-type games; like Tides of Blood. I feel like the only reason DotA is so popular is because of the hundreds of heroes you can choose from (with none of the custom spells made by the creators of DotA).
More = better, I guess.

Now what I do hate are the tons of uninspired DotA rip-offs made afterwards. Heroes of Newerth, League of Legends, all those kinda games.

Level 11
I could see how newcomers would hate DoTa since its not really made for newcomers on wc3, cause if a newcomer joins a dota match... u would get some much flack from your team... so it would be best to play with friends u know that play those kinds of games (HoN, LoL, Dota/Dota 2). Thats how i got into DoTa :D and from then on i just play with 5 friends to avoid playing with a newbie

DotA is a pretty awesome game.
This is because you have millions of strategies, heroes and item-build combinations.
I always try out new heroes and create strategies and/or learn from my more experienced players like my good pal JewJoe-Black-5 :D

Also, why do people care about the terrain?
Does terrain make a game fun? Your argument is invalid. (Well, I know it makes a game better, but it doesn't give you a good reason to hate on it)

Level 15
DotA is every Filipino childhood game these days. Though there are some things I hate about DotA, the over reliance to your allies could really throw up the entire team if you're a noob and DotA 2. Seriously Valve took the darn opportunity to make a poor clones of WC3-based heroes like Lich and Rexxar, so much for originality... :(

Level 14
Ken-E, Valve is known for taking mods of games and recreating them into games, they are boss like that and they hire to creator of the mod, so yeah.

DotA's community is not all bad, there are bad sides to every community yes, but the first DotA game I played I was really helped out by teammates and went pretty well.

Level 27
Problems with competitive things like this is that you have people that just want to have fun, people who want to be good at it, and then you have the really dedicated people who play it too much. The last category get's very fucking good at it, like in DiRT 3 multiplayer where as i'm actually a pretty decent driver i should play it a few hours every day if i want to be able to catch up to them and defeat them, right after the point where you've reached their level the game doesn't get really fun anymore because the challenge is kind of gone and everything goes into details. Will you make a mistake, and won't your opponent make the same mistake... if he does not then it costs you the game. I bet that this could be the same principle as with dota, when you get really good at it the differences are going to be determined by mistakes and that's not really a fun factor.

Level 22
Problems with competitive things like this is that you have people that just want to have fun, people who want to be good at it, and then you have the really dedicated people who play it too much. The last category get's very fucking good at it, like in DiRT 3 multiplayer where as i'm actually a pretty decent driver i should play it a few hours every day if i want to be able to catch up to them and defeat them, right after the point where you've reached their level the game doesn't get really fun anymore because the challenge is kind of gone and everything goes into details. Will you make a mistake, and won't your opponent make the same mistake... if he does not then it costs you the game. I bet that this could be the same principle as with dota, when you get really good at it the differences are going to be determined by mistakes and that's not really a fun factor.

That's why you shouldn't join if you want for fun and the game title says 'pro only' or such. I bet Blizz will fix it with their blizz dota by allowing only players of the same rank/stats to match, maybe they will use the same league system.

Red

Red

Level 26
DOTA specifically, as I see it, seemed to put a halt to the development of a lot of creative mods and maps in our little wc3 community. After DOTA, if it wasn't some kind of fast-paced multiplayer ADHDRPG, it wasn't worth playing.

As for MOBA games in general, they seem to attract a good bit of that young facebook/halo-generated, overly-hostile casual playerbase, who annoy me to no end.

But overall, if it's your thing, rock out with your cock out by all means, just quit ramming it down the throats of people who could give a damn about it. Keep in mind - this is all just my opinion. Don't bother getting offended - if anything, you'll just entertain me.

Level 16
That's why you shouldn't join if you want for fun and the game title says 'pro only' or such. I bet Blizz will fix it with their blizz dota by allowing only players of the same rank/stats to match, maybe they will use the same league system.

Sorry to hate but blizzdota is going to be so casual anyone who has become good at dota will hate it. No denying is just, so unreasonable. Make the game so shallow.

Level 22
I'm not a Dota fan lol, I may have done around 100 games when I played war3 but that's it. And I think I won't touch Blizz Dota. Probably to see what these Arthas, Thrall characters will be like, I don't really care about Dota or Blizz Dota. Only about finding good balance in HotS and improving and bringing back some bnet features.

Level 6
Thanks for commenting guys i really appreciate it.
Well not all people like dota and i understand that.
But i am sure that everyone loves Warcraft but i really want to play the CATACLYSM VERSION.Pls. tell me guys when this will be released in the phillipines!
THANKS FOR COMMENTING!

Level 25
Thanks for commenting guys i really appreciate it.
Well not all people like dota and i understand that.
But i am sure that everyone loves Warcraft but i really want to play the CATACLYSM VERSION.Pls. tell me guys when this will be released in the phillipines!
THANKS FOR COMMENTING!

Thanks for commenting? are you getting a revenue from this thread?

_PV

_PV

Level 7
Why I hate DoTA:

Well, 2 years ago, I discovered Warcraft 3, and my friends were all pro's at DoTA cause that is all that they played on Warcraft, but I played RPG's, experimented with the World editor, and player other maps: OTHER than DoTA.

So We went to a LAN, and all that people wanted to play was DoTA, and I've never played it before. So, I join in for a game and think: "Well, let's try it... can't be that bad?"

WRONG
Was worst experience of gaming ever xD I mean, the gameplay was fine, but the way people rage is the worst...

I randomed Drow Ranger, went Mid and got ganked with in 2 minutes. (didn't know tower would hit that hard ;D) and my team are like: "omg...... fucking noob!"
so the game goes on, and I had enough cash to buy something cool, bought "vladmir's offering" cause it had lifesteal and stuff, but I missread that it doesn't work for ranged chars... I hardly hadit for 3 seconds, i just ran out of base, and team is pinging the shit out of where I am, shouting "OMG fucking noob item for drow!!!!!111oneone1!!!!1one!11!"

So yeah, my first game sucked xD and that's why I hate DoTA :)

Level 12
I hate it because the community is so bloody hostile and unfriendly it takes all the fun out of playing. A few years ago I used to be great at AoS games, hell, I put more hours into League of Legends in a two year span then I did anything else.

On top of that, Dota itself just isn't my cup of tea, there are much better game modes to play that offer teamwork or micro strategy. Nowadays I play Island Defense or Custom Castle Defense, because they actually have a nicer community and aren't afraid to try and teach people how to play and win.

Reactions: _PV
Level 6
Thanks for commenting? are you getting a revenue from this thread?

No that's not what i mean.I am new at this site and i never realize this thread will have more than 40 comments.I really appreciate their comments because i learned that not all Warcraft player's like dota.

Well, DOTA Community is very bad to the noobs but as long as you want to learn the game you will be expert on that.

Level 15
DotA's a fine game. Every community has it's ups and downs. If you want to be frank, the worst pro community for trash talking and bad mannering is probably SC/SC2, where it seems like every other week some pro gets "in trouble" for talking massive amounts of shit to his opponents.

I think DotA gets a lot of unfair hate, as well.
2. Killed off quite alot of the normal players in wc3 only DotA fans stayed.

DotA didn't really do anything to WC3 except increase the amount of people playing DotA. If you ever noticed, custom games didn't really DECLINE in number of players because they went to DotA, it's just that DotA completely overwhelmed them, so it makes them appear minuscule in comparison.

But truly, the fault in WC3 is that Blizzard just dgafs. We haven't had a patch in like what...3 years? It's not wonder that people like Grubby, who was once considered #1 in the world lost all of his sponsoring and has to fund his own pro career now (in SC2, of all things).

tl;dr: DotA gets a lot of flak for things that aren't it's fault. And almost every problem people have with it is non-unique to all non-single player games.

Level 16
Why I hate DoTA:

Well, 2 years ago, I discovered Warcraft 3, and my friends were all pro's at DoTA cause that is all that they played on Warcraft, but I played RPG's, experimented with the World editor, and player other maps: OTHER than DoTA.

So We went to a LAN, and all that people wanted to play was DoTA, and I've never played it before. So, I join in for a game and think: "Well, let's try it... can't be that bad?"

WRONG
Was worst experience of gaming ever xD I mean, the gameplay was fine, but the way people rage is the worst...

I randomed Drow Ranger, went Mid and got ganked with in 2 minutes. (didn't know tower would hit that hard ;D) and my team are like: "omg...... fucking noob!"
so the game goes on, and I had enough cash to buy something cool, bought "vladmir's offering" cause it had lifesteal and stuff, but I missread that it doesn't work for ranged chars... I hardly hadit for 3 seconds, i just ran out of base, and team is pinging the shit out of where I am, shouting "OMG fucking noob item for drow!!!!!111oneone1!!!!1one!11!"

So yeah, my first game sucked xD and that's why I hate DoTA :)

So basically because you did bad and people told you that you were bad you decided to never do it again. Playing a single game of a multiplayer game is like watching the first 5 minutes of a movie or reading the first page of a book and calling the movie/book bad. Of course it isn't enjoyable at the start, because you're just god awful at the start. Everyone starts awful, but that doesn't mean that you should just ragequit the game and say you hate it and it's an awful game because you're bad.

i would have to say that, in my opinion, alot of the 'hate' isnt exactly directed at dota, but rather:
1 its comunity/environment - although i hear ALOT of other online games suffer from this, although wc3 is relativly sheltered from it, being the type of game it is..
2. the fact that so many people play it, instead of trying other games; and therefor relate the inability to host a 'fullhouse' of their favorite game, as a consequence of dotas existance.. (or as mappers believe its harder to get a good game out there because to many people are playing dota instead of their game)
3. dislike the whole learning curve/brutality of the game, and as stated how the game can be lost or won, on a single few small mistakes
4. dislike it because its popular; see the 'scene' crowd..

Personally, i kinda like it though :p. (other than maybe the comunity), although there are definently some things i would change if i were the creator :p (same could be said by most mappers about most maps though)

_PV

_PV

Level 7
So basically because you did bad and people told you that you were bad you decided to never do it again. Playing a single game of a multiplayer game is like watching the first 5 minutes of a movie or reading the first page of a book and calling the movie/book bad. Of course it isn't enjoyable at the start, because you're just god awful at the start. Everyone starts awful, but that doesn't mean that you should just ragequit the game and say you hate it and it's an awful game because you're bad.

Main reason why I hate DoTA (if you read one piece) "all that they played at the LAN was DoTA..."

I play DoTA, I'm not that terrible today, but I Hate it 'cause that's all that people wanted to play... I didn't say DoTA is an awful game. And I didn't merely say that they "told me I was bad". They were being ass-hole flamers and raging the shit out of me. problem?

Level 3
I used to play dota, and i was quite good at it.
Then i switched to LoL and i am quite good at it.
Then i tried a dota game for fun and sucked so hard i thought i was playing another mod.
I wouldn't say i hate it, it's just too difficult to master that it takes out the fun of playing it.
I heard people saying dota is cool because of its competitivity and high learning curve...man do you understand spending 2-3-4 years to LEARN TO PLAY a game is insane?
Not to speak about its community...people are nerdy elitists, retards, flamers and assholes. But the most horrible thing about people playing it is that they are all easy going and friendly as long as they win, just to turn into beasts when they lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.