• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why do we make maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hello! My question is veeeery simple. Its about maps. Why do we make maps? Who will play them? Are they just popular for 1-2 hours, then go to the history and no one knows that they exist? How we can play them with other people?

Just... why do we make maps??? I am asking because i am making a map and i think that it will be epic... but i don't want to just waste my time...

Level 27
If you want to make a map just so it would be epic and popular, go back from where you came and don't try to make a map. See, you don't have to just create something, you also need to enjoy the process of creating something new.
Most of people here enjoy making mods, maps or whatever, even if they will never become popular. Of course, some succeed by putting a lot of effort, discovering some new gameplay formula that's real fun or just beeing lucky, and their creations become popular, but they're a minority.

Level 19
I for one, find mapmaking a rather nice pasttime, so yeah, it's kinda for fun and to try to let players enjoy themselves:)

Level 3
Well if you're currently creating a map, are excited to see it finished and asking yourself at the same time if it's just a waste of time, then I'd say you aren't one of the guys who has fun just by creating something, then... well, maybe mapping is not your thing, don't know.

I started playing around with editors when I was... maybe 13 or 14? Neverwinter Nights, the first one + the AddOns, that was some good stuff. I didn't know about scripts and shit and I never was able to write a single dialogue without major errors, but I didn't give a fuck about that, I was just having fun creating something that was just a part of my fantasy.

I guess that's it. What our fantasy helps us to make up mostly stays fantasy, too. Although we can't make our fantasies reality we use art to make fill it with a little bit of life so we can enjoy it more and keep remembering it. Maps ain't the only example, there's music, drawing, 3D modelling, etc.

So yeah, that's why I personally make maps.

Level 23
I make maps for personal playing, and within my small group of friends.

I realise that if someone start a project they have little interest in playing it will suck, period.
Also keep your player count realistic. We all want huge 12 players AOSes, but really can you muster up enough players each time it is hosted?
Hence design I prefer to design games that are enjoyable with a player count that fits. ie, the usual bunch of friends.

Al the above sounds kinda irrelevant to the question, but I think its worth noting since you seem to be bothered by popularity.

Level 3
Also keep your player count realistic. We all want huge 12 players AOSes, but really can you muster up enough players each time it is hosted?
Hence design I prefer to design games that are enjoyable with a player count that fits. ie, the usual bunch of friends.

Same here, I don't even release my work anymore and just play my maps with my friends on our network weekends every 1-2 months - 4 to 5 players, that's it. Much more fun that way and it stays special. I think it makes you appreciate your work alot more.

Level 14
Hahaha... i LOVE to make maps... i think that this is the best way to enjoy with a PC! But i have asked this because my friends (also my brother) ask me why i make maps and... i am speachless...

Still i am sad because i can't play with other people... i live in the other part of the world and i can't connect, so i can't play... But that was 8-9 months ago... I'd love to play War.3 with all you guys! Do you want to try? :) I have one TD map, but i need ppl to test some triggs...

Send a message to my profile if some of you wants to play with me. :) And sorry for my bad English speaking... (we don't speak English in Bulgaria...)

Level 5
We like to create maps, as I like to play guitar, even if I'm the only one around to hear it.
I like to create maps because I love to see what I have created and put hours of my spare time in it. Besides that, some of my friends play the maps I make, so it's also a bit of pride, pride in your own work.

Level 30
making maps is a trial and error process, you get the chance to make it famous, you also get the chance to go nowhere. also you don't just go straight in making maps without anyone noticing it, make them subscribe, show them your wip, and then the final output, express it to your friends to play and test, and after that, its all done. and another is that making maps is a hobby, in a fun way.

NOTE: you are very mean to orcs! I should slap your head right now if I could :p

Level 34
I spent countless hours working on lots of different maps. None of them were ever released. I don't regret any of it, I enjoyed my time.

Level 6
I made a few maps that were never completed, and it was fun learning how to do it. But my pride and joy is the map I release that is played by a lot of people. Don't kid yourself, it's tremendously rewarding to have a fanbase and community built around something you envisioned.

Level 3
I made a few maps that were never completed, and it was fun learning how to do it. But my pride and joy is the map I release that is played by a lot of people. Don't kid yourself, it's tremendously rewarding to have a fanbase and community built around something you envisioned.

I can imagine that, but still it shouldn't be your goal to achieve fame or a fanbase with your work. That's the same thing with music. I think the result is way better, if people just create what they want instead of the stuff the mainstream wants to hear. If you release it then and it gets famous, fine, but don't let it get over your head and stuff.

Level 9
For me... map making is something that helps me get my imagination into reality... therefore creating something i can be proud of. I myself haven't ever made maps and released them because i am not so good yet, and when i release a map, i want it to be something unique and entertaining, although i have made a few maps which i am proud of them as they are, i don't regret the time spent for them. :)

Level 7
I do terraining for fun... never completed a full map, I always start with the terraining as it's my favourite part, but lose motivation when I have to import models, do triggers and all that stuff.

Level 9
I know what you mean... sometimes i also lose motivation after the terrain because it's too much work in certain areas (triggers, importing and object editing, etc), yet it's something random, not always. It usually depends on the theme of the map.

Level 15
Making maps is a very pleasant past time really, you can unleash your creativity through making them. Also, it has that very rewarding feeling of 'success'. And in the future, play back what you've done with your maps and you'll realize that "Damn, I made a fun map" regardless if that's bad or good for others.

Level 9
Yeah, true, you really feel good when you play one of your maps (alone or with friends) and you think... "oh man, it's so cool/fun/etc."

I don't say i don't like triggers and those, Cold_Bon3, but sometimes when they are too many or too much it's just get's hard for me, i mostly do them also, because it's the triggers and objects that make the map work :).

Level 22
I go as far as only playing games which I can mod. Currently only playing warcraft and I'll probably move to starcraft 2 at some point.
Like several above said, we make maps because it's fun, we like to put our imagination to "paper".
Although I personally have more success with editing existing maps than making from scratch.

Recently I have been granted permission from the creator to continue a very popular map on battle net after he saw how much I improved it: Titan Land.

Level 2
I make a lot of map before.....however....I never get it done coz my school schedule just MESS my fun...you can say that I very lazy..but I actually like make an epic RPG map...especially a single player map that sometimes (Overboost the Kilobyte of the game until it cannot play a LAN game anymore):goblin_boom:......

Level 6
I try to make maps because I love strategical gameplay. The entire game library of the market out their is very limited to strategy. So I try to make fun maps based around teamwork or strategy. I will never have the time to complete anything on my own though so its whatever. btw you got a lieing terrorist for president all you people that beleived bush all you people who didnt do something about it. before WW3 is here. Wakeup. I wont respond to this.

Level 9
I usually make maps for my own fun and I can say that for 99% of the membershere, right? We just love to do this, to make your own thing if we all had the skills and were able to I know we would be making new games instead of a game within a game if u know what i mean but making a game from scratch its way too much work and wc3 already has all the tools to make a game enjoyable. I've made a few maps that I didnt even post up cuz they just werent good or I didnt finish them but I enjoyed makin them so I dont care. I usually make a map then dont finish it and then start a whole new project again just for fun. I must have around 40 maps that arent finished hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.