1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Why are we here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by The_wand_mirror, May 6, 2007.

1. The_wand_mirror

The_wand_mirror

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hehe,lets discuss another giant question in this giant universe..

'Why are we here?/Meaning of life/us?'

Personally i am rly confused about this question, but i always can try and explain it. Ehm, as first i think we have chance of being here because we have a 'Purpose' or just the opposite ... we dont have a purpose at all, but then thats not why we are .. but if we have a purpose, and a real goal? what then is that goal? .. as first, in our society that we 'created' we go to school and have work, earn money, buy a home, live in it get love, get children of any other goal in live (get in the army and die, break a world record, build viritual worlds, design games, or whatever you can think of!). Acctualy you could say this is a goal we created our own, because if it was never there we didnt know how to do .. thats why i like to call life 'Just a big illusion created by human kind' (not that it matters anything to you -.-). By this 'Illusion' we are hiding our real existence and our real goal, the only problem is we dont know what that goal is so we created one ourselfs but thats maybe why we are hiding it .. (?!?!?!). As first, i think the first step to discover the real meaning of our existence is travelling into space and maybe even the stars beyond, then maybe some time we will know why we are here?

I dont rly have a theory, i just came up with this idea of making a thread about it because it seems intresting to me to share theories... well burn lose ;)

2. Denu

Denu

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    These kinda threads are getting a little annoying. But anyways my take on it is that nothing has meaning or value. Neither me nor you. But things can be given meaning by an individual but it wont necisarily (however the hell you spell it) have the same or even any meaning as it would to another person.

3. Tonks

Tonks

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Notice what happened to the last discussion like this? It got closed because a majority of the people on this forum aren't mature enough or worldly enough for discussions like this.

That said, we're going to hear a lot of "We're here because God put us here."

4. GST_Nemisis

GST_Nemisis

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    yeh same, i belive we are just a bundle of chemicals that have been fortunate enough to overcome the rules of entropy to make someting quite astonishing but ultimately pointless. life as i see it has only the purpose to continue itself, but was not put here and is not here for any reason at all other that sheer luck.

oh and btw its necessarily, i always spell that word wrong :p

also btw i see tonks you are mapping CS:s :) very very good choice, CS:S is my favorite game.

5. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    we're here because we can be, because we developed extreme advantages before other species did. we're here because our ancestors didn't question why they were there, they just knew that hey had to be and did what they needed to to make sure they stayed there. the only reason we're wondering why right now is that we have enough "advantages" to have time to actually think about it.

6. Ham Ham

Ham Ham

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The man ask this thing since it exists, but we never found a plausive ansewer.

Wand mirror, forget this thing.
    You will become crazy if you try so much to find the ansewer to this question.

7. cal823

cal823

Resources:
    Resources:
    in my opinion, there is no huge single meaning of life.
    In my opinion, each of us has a meaning we must find for ourselves, someone or something that is very special to us, that we would die for, even live our entire lives for.

8. lorothrigs

lorothrigs

Resources:
    Resources:
    We were created by the Atlanteans to work for them in various projects around the world. Some of these were mining, food production, construction, etc. By giving man the ability to reproduce on his own (the original sin), the population began to multiply quite rapidly. The Atlanteans began to clamor for more of the workers.

Humans eventually conquered the world, now we're just peacing out till we all go boom.

9. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    We're here to disgrace ourselves and make threads like this to drive ourselves loco. We're also here to spread the message of Elron Hubert and wage war on Xenu. After, we fight the Persians at Thermopylae to defend Spartan freedom and their massive abs.

ANd our last purpose in life is to destroy the One Ring to protect Middle Earth and make sure we can hook up with all the hot hobbit chicks we can find. The End.

10. lorothrigs

lorothrigs

Resources:
    Resources:
    I was being serious.

11. cal823

cal823

Resources:
    Resources:
    The atlanteans that lorothrigimathingy was talking about, were really humans who had gained incredible power by Kitten Huffing for six straight years, many exploded in this process, but some of them became beings of pure energy with immense powers, and so they enslaved the human race.

here is where you can learn more about kitten huffing

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Kitten_huffing

12. Sacrimo

Sacrimo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, if the big bang is true, then thats the purpose, life, death, live, hate, etc etc. There isnt a exact purpose, but there is personal purposes. Like.....WereWulf being WereWulf, thats a purpose.

13. cal823

cal823

Resources:
    Resources:
    being something isnt a purpose.
    you dont choose to be a human being, so there is no purpose to that.

14. Sacrimo

Sacrimo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Purpose can be anything, anyone, etc. Purpose its a extenphysic Noun, which means it can be used for mostly anything.

15. cal823

cal823

Resources:
    Resources:
    true, tho itd be interesting to note, is purpose real? can we truly have choice, coz when u think of it...theres no way u cud have made a diff choice, coz even your brain is influenced by everything, your situation determines what you do, choice is just the illusion of that in my opinion

16. Sacrimo

Sacrimo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nicely said, but, Purpose is all in a persons mind, there future, there lifestyle. Purpose, as I said, is a extenphysic noun, its anything.

17. Shados

Shados

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Who cares if choice is an illusion anyway, as long as you think you have a choice, you might as well. It doesn't actually matter whether or not you really do have a choice as long as you think you do.

-*meow*

18. Sacrimo

Sacrimo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wow, nicely said, cant comment on that one Shad.

19. lorothrigs

lorothrigs

Resources:
    Resources:
    I still <3 my Atlantean ancestors.

20. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    it's like the whole "destiny" problem: do you reach the same place no matter what your choices are, or do you change where you go by making choices? are the choices you're going to make predetermined, so whether you decide to just give up on it or fight it, you're still following your destiny? does someone telling you your destiny change your destiny, how you get to it, or nothing at all?

people probably shouldn't think too hard about things like this because we have no way of ever really knowing. like that religion in the future thread that turned into "could God exist or not".