1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

What if you were colour blind?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Malufa, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Malufa

Malufa

Resources:
    Resources:
    How do we know what we percieve is anywhere near the "correct" colour? What if the established colour of brown were in truth black? Could it ever be known? Would it ever matter?

Is perhaps Julliet correct and "A rose of any other name would smell just as sweet."?

2. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Some people are born color blind, while others are not. The theory of ones perception and on what they name things is entirely based upon their experiences and on how their mind sees it. Its a rather hectic and difficult thing.

3. Freakazoid

Freakazoid

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Learn programing language, or color code. You would get this.
    [​IMG] XD

4. Kuhneghetz

Kuhneghetz

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Your coloured post would confuse colorblind people since it's placed on a dark background.

And it's against the rule to wrap the whole post in color.

5. GST_Nemisis

GST_Nemisis

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    certain cells are used for cetain wavelenghts of light, this is known. what is unknown is whether the brain interprits the signal from these cells differently.

6. Malufa

Malufa

Resources:
    Resources:

You can change your theme if you so desire so that it is easier to see for you and there is no rule against colour ;)

7. Kuhneghetz

Kuhneghetz

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
  8. Chaos

Chaos

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
  9. GST_Nemisis

GST_Nemisis

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    http://hiveworkshop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=249347&postcount=54

it would seem that Malufa has been given the right to post in green, if you cannot read it i suggest you just ignor the post, he hasnt got anything intresting to say anyways :p . please stop arguing about this now as a decision has been made.

10. Kaitech[SanD]

Kaitech[SanD]

Resources:
    Resources:
    I cannot read dark green. I just highlight the text and read it!

11. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well there you go, but others are too lazy to do that so they just complain and whine. Way to take some initiative dude :)

And yeah, as this has been raised before... we recently discovered (thanks to Nem there) that Magenta (pink) isn't an actual colour, and that it is created by an exception in the brain. Pretty neat.

But yeah, what if what we percieve is actually different then it is in reality? Oddly enough, I was having a conversation about this with my friends at lunch today...

Imagine, if you were a colourblind or half colourblind person, but you hadn't been informed, so you that the way you saw things was the way that everyone did. For example, my math teacher cannot see the colour green. Anything that is green appears orange to him. What if you thought grass and leaves and everything were orange, and then someone went and told you that it was in fact green, and you didn't know what the hell he was talking about.... A scary thought indeed.

12. SuPa-

SuPa-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What we perceive IS different from reality, this I know (I think by saying that you probably meant something else, but, oh well lol)

Color is non existent, it is just the reflection of light that creates it in our minds

So perceiving color is something that may be the same for most people, or may not be the same for most people... But in the end of things no one will really know, because technology that could actually prove such things would probably not be invented in our lifetimes, but with the quick evolution of our technology, who knows? Also, the thing about color blind people is that they might know about the color green, but just not know the name for it. Someone has stated for that imagination has a big part... So someone could've imagined the color green, although could not see it.

BTW, how did people find out that pink wasn't a color? Seems interesting

13. GST_Nemisis

GST_Nemisis

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    yeh colour does exist, it is what is brought about by molecules absorbing different wavelenghts of light from the "white light" wave-range. whatever colour is absorbed doesnt reach our eyes and so our brains make the colour by showing you every colour expect the colour that was absorbed. this is another weird concept, we see something red we are infact seeing every colour except red.

by analysing the eyes cells, the brain and its response to seeing different wave lengths absorbed at different times, which would be done using a colour wheel and electro-magnetic wavelenth measuring equipment. if you read the thread i wrote about this it explains it.

14. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    i can reply to this hypothetical colorblindness by asking "what if everything was made out of chocolate of different densities and colors, but it's really tricky chocolate that makes us think it's a different chemical composition by using its ninja magic?" that's about just as likely. we take whatever information that we get and make the most of it with whatever knowledge we have. we have enough ridiculous hypotheses as is. just because there's no way to prove it wrong doesn't necessarily mean its probable.

15. TDR

TDR

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    why do you type in blue?

16. GST_Nemisis

GST_Nemisis

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    well acutally, its more than likely, experiments using MRI brain scans have shown different areas are activated in different peoples brains when they see the same wavelength of light. while this itself doesnt prove anything, it makes the likely hood that our brain controlls colours differently for each of us alot greater. this combined with the fact that we have direct evidence that our brains make up new colours, manipulate colours and reality makes for a compelling argument.

considering that research programs often costing millions of dollars are done regarding the manipulation of reality by our brain i wouldnt even start to think of it as a rediculour hypothesis

17. Shados

Shados

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I would just like to state that the quoted post consists of pure awesome.

18. Malufa

Malufa

Resources:
    Resources:
    I do not, I type in pure green :) If you see blue then you are either:

1. Delusional
    2. Crazy
    3. Colour blind
    4. Using a weird template
    5. Just kidding around

If the first four then... Yeah...

If the fifth then great joke ;)

19. cal823

cal823

Resources:
    Resources:
    ummmm what wud it be like to be blind? like wud u just see blackness, like when u close ur eyes? i cant comprehend seeing "nothing" coz when u see nothing, u just see through it to the next thing.
    like rlly, what wud blindness be like?

20. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ill tell you want you see when you have totally lost your vision as in eyes.

What you see right now, at the back of your head...