• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What if you were colour blind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
How do we know what we percieve is anywhere near the "correct" colour? What if the established colour of brown were in truth black? Could it ever be known? Would it ever matter?

Is perhaps Julliet correct and "A rose of any other name would smell just as sweet."?

Level 7
Learn programing language, or color code. You would get this.
geek_love_poem-ladies.jpg
XD

Level 12
Your coloured post would confuse colorblind people since it's placed on a dark background.

And it's against the rule to wrap the whole post in color.

You can change your theme if you so desire so that it is easier to see for you and there is no rule against colour ;)

Level 21
Level 36
Well there you go, but others are too lazy to do that so they just complain and whine. Way to take some initiative dude :)

And yeah, as this has been raised before... we recently discovered (thanks to Nem there) that Magenta (pink) isn't an actual colour, and that it is created by an exception in the brain. Pretty neat.

But yeah, what if what we percieve is actually different then it is in reality? Oddly enough, I was having a conversation about this with my friends at lunch today...

Imagine, if you were a colourblind or half colourblind person, but you hadn't been informed, so you that the way you saw things was the way that everyone did. For example, my math teacher cannot see the colour green. Anything that is green appears orange to him. What if you thought grass and leaves and everything were orange, and then someone went and told you that it was in fact green, and you didn't know what the hell he was talking about.... A scary thought indeed.

Level 21
What we perceive IS different from reality, this I know (I think by saying that you probably meant something else, but, oh well lol)

Color is non existent, it is just the reflection of light that creates it in our minds

So perceiving color is something that may be the same for most people, or may not be the same for most people... But in the end of things no one will really know, because technology that could actually prove such things would probably not be invented in our lifetimes, but with the quick evolution of our technology, who knows? Also, the thing about color blind people is that they might know about the color green, but just not know the name for it. Someone has stated for that imagination has a big part... So someone could've imagined the color green, although could not see it.

BTW, how did people find out that pink wasn't a color? Seems interesting

Level 21
Color is non existent, it is just the reflection of light that creates it in our minds

yeh colour does exist, it is what is brought about by molecules absorbing different wavelenghts of light from the "white light" wave-range. whatever colour is absorbed doesnt reach our eyes and so our brains make the colour by showing you every colour expect the colour that was absorbed. this is another weird concept, we see something red we are infact seeing every colour except red.

BTW, how did people find out that pink wasn't a color? Seems interesting

by analysing the eyes cells, the brain and its response to seeing different wave lengths absorbed at different times, which would be done using a colour wheel and electro-magnetic wavelenth measuring equipment. if you read the thread i wrote about this it explains it.

Level 26
i can reply to this hypothetical colorblindness by asking "what if everything was made out of chocolate of different densities and colors, but it's really tricky chocolate that makes us think it's a different chemical composition by using its ninja magic?" that's about just as likely. we take whatever information that we get and make the most of it with whatever knowledge we have. we have enough ridiculous hypotheses as is. just because there's no way to prove it wrong doesn't necessarily mean its probable.

Level 21
i can reply to this hypothetical colorblindness by asking "what if everything was made out of chocolate of different densities and colors, but it's really tricky chocolate that makes us think it's a different chemical composition by using its ninja magic?" that's about just as likely. we take whatever information that we get and make the most of it with whatever knowledge we have. we have enough ridiculous hypotheses as is. just because there's no way to prove it wrong doesn't necessarily mean its probable.

well acutally, its more than likely, experiments using MRI brain scans have shown different areas are activated in different peoples brains when they see the same wavelength of light. while this itself doesnt prove anything, it makes the likely hood that our brain controlls colours differently for each of us alot greater. this combined with the fact that we have direct evidence that our brains make up new colours, manipulate colours and reality makes for a compelling argument.

considering that research programs often costing millions of dollars are done regarding the manipulation of reality by our brain i wouldnt even start to think of it as a rediculour hypothesis

Level 12
why do you type in blue?

I do not, I type in pure green :) If you see blue then you are either:

1. Delusional
  2. Crazy
  3. Colour blind
  4. Using a weird template
  5. Just kidding around

If the first four then... Yeah...

If the fifth then great joke ;)

Level 5
ummmm what wud it be like to be blind? like wud u just see blackness, like when u close ur eyes? i cant comprehend seeing "nothing" coz when u see nothing, u just see through it to the next thing.
like rlly, what wud blindness be like?

Level 5
oh i get you. sorta impossible to comprehend tho what itd be like tho, seeing as how you never see just nothing unless u are blind, so i guess its uncomprehendable, just like the idea of what itd be like to have eyes in the back of your head aswell as forward ones.

Level 8
Well, Malufa, you broach yet another interesting topic. I would like to bring up the works of one Emmanuel Kant, who has some fasciniting info concerning this (and other topics). Kant suggests that it is not the object that allows for the representation but the representation that allows for the object. Not sure if anyone followed that, but basically it is saying that we know and recognize things because of the perception we have of those objects, not because they are actually the object. Sort of like how fake fruit can look so appetizing but still be made of just wax.

Colorblindness... and dillusion. We could spend an eternity searching, and if we had never learned that red was red and not blue, we couldn't tell the difference and wouldn't even care to do so.

Level 26
oh i get you. sorta impossible to comprehend tho what itd be like tho, seeing as how you never see just nothing unless u are blind, so i guess its uncomprehendable, just like the idea of what itd be like to have eyes in the back of your head aswell as forward ones.

i believe it would be black, simply because black is the absence of light, and since light will no longer be sent to your brain, or whatever you call that process, wouldn't the brain comprehend it as pure darkness?

Level 14
When your blind you dont see anything. At all. No color. Nothing. Ask a blind person what they see and they wont say I see black. They will simply say they dont see anything.

Try closing your eyes and immagine an immage. Concentrate really hard and I think you could sorta be able to understand what it is to be blind. Ask yourself what you saw when you were concentrating. You wouldnt have seen anything. Because your mind was so focused on creating an immage in your head (which isnt the same as recieiving stimuli from the eye) your mind wouldnt have registered very much of the stimuli from your eyes. Not the same as complete lack of sight but to do that you would have to become permanently blind or take something that causes temporary blindness.

Level 5
Once their was a very famous painter. he painted a beautiful impressionistic painting of a river and sum flowers or sutmhing in all reds.
a few days later, he got his cataracts removed, and realised his painting was all in reds, instead of the greens he thought he had painted.
he tore up one of his most beautiful works ever in disgust.

anyways, how do we know we are seeing what is real? for all we know, everything we see cud just be pictures in our heads 2 entertain us, our eyes mite not do what we think they do, they mite not even exist, how do we know all our senses are real? this cud even be a very long dream, like a coma or sumthing. cud even be a matrix thing going on for all we know.

Level 21
vision can be explained with science, perception (currently) cannot. philosophy and speculation is all we have for that, but thats more fun anyways ;) this thread has a bit of both, but it is the perception of light and colour which is really the more relevant.

Level 26
Once their was a very famous painter. he painted a beautiful impressionistic painting of a river and sum flowers or sutmhing in all reds.
a few days later, he got his cataracts removed, and realised his painting was all in reds, instead of the greens he thought he had painted.
he tore up one of his most beautiful works ever in disgust.

anyways, how do we know we are seeing what is real? for all we know, everything we see cud just be pictures in our heads 2 entertain us, our eyes mite not do what we think they do, they mite not even exist, how do we know all our senses are real? this cud even be a very long dream, like a coma or sumthing. cud even be a matrix thing going on for all we know.
it could, but it's as probable as the existence of invisible pink unicorns and flying spaghetti monsters. what-ifs get you nowhere because the only thing in the world that i am sure of is that i exist. the rest could just be a trick on my five senses. i know i exist because there has to be the thing that receives these hypothetical "tricks" on my five senses. I've no idea how that philosopher who developed Cogito Ergo Sum (I think, therefore I am) managed to link it to the existence of god, but i use it for agnosticism. This was a mouthful of a reply.

Level 8
it could, but it's as probable as the existence of invisible pink unicorns and flying spaghetti monsters. what-ifs get you nowhere because the only thing in the world that i am sure of is that i exist. the rest could just be a trick on my five senses. i know i exist because there has to be the thing that receives these hypothetical "tricks" on my five senses. I've no idea how that philosopher who developed Cogito Ergo Sum (I think, therefore I am) managed to link it to the existence of god, but i use it for agnosticism. This was a mouthful of a reply.

Flying spaghetti monsters.... someone's been reading up on Pastafanarianism.:emote_grin:

But I like what you were talking about with the five senses thing. Kinda like what I was saying earlier in the thread about how our existence is enabled only by our perceptions or how an object only exists because of the representation of that object...

Level 8
ummmm what wud it be like to be blind? like wud u just see blackness, like when u close ur eyes? i cant comprehend seeing "nothing" coz when u see nothing, u just see through it to the next thing.
like rlly, what wud blindness be like?

I was temporarily blind from chemicals in Chem class, lasted about 5 hours. Your mind creates images, and I created figures at points where I heard noises. For example, when I heard someone set down a glass, I would mark that out in my mental map and know where it was.

Level 21
^
||
||
||

thought u said u were going? meh never mind i guess its good that ur not because i never thought u were an annoying spammer or anything.

is there a difference between people born blind and made blind?

people born blind have never seen anything so cannot imagine images? i dont knpw

Level 10
I was temporarily blind from chemicals in Chem class, lasted about 5 hours. Your mind creates images, and I created figures at points where I heard noises. For example, when I heard someone set down a glass, I would mark that out in my mental map and know where it was.

Just a theory, but maybe that's because you already knew what stuff looked like so you had an idea of what stuff should look like and your brain just substituted that in replacement of what your eyes should have provided. What would a blind person see?

Level 8
^
||
||
||

thought u said u were going? meh never mind i guess its good that ur not because i never thought u were an annoying spammer or anything.

is there a difference between people born blind and made blind?

people born blind have never seen anything so cannot imagine images? i dont knpw

I'm happy to join in conversations, I just don't plan on contributing to the site or posting things. I still plan on helping people where I can.

Just a theory, but maybe that's because you already knew what stuff looked like so you had an idea of what stuff should look like and your brain just substituted that in replacement of what your eyes should have provided. What would a blind person see?

I haven't the faintest idea. I was just speaking of a - similar - experience relating to the conversation.

Level 26
If someone used to see and became blind forever, unless he has a photographic memory, i doubt he will be able to remember what he saw decades ago, so i think he might be no different from one who is born blind. I could be wrong, however. Perhaps exercising your mental mapping of certain things frequently results in you remembering it. You never create an accurate mental image of certain things. You can try by closing your eyes. It's almost the same thing, though some light might get through your eyelids. Wish they sell lead eyepatches that aren't half deadly.

Ill tell you want you see when you have totally lost your vision as in eyes.

What you see right now, at the back of your head...

I imagined that for a split second.

I seriously went :eekani: .

Just like that test to see where your blind point in your eye is. The blind point is a place images just can't form. I saw the dot disapear. It was freaky.

Level 3
Nice topic. I skipped page 2, so if I repeated anything, sorry.

I have always been curious about light. :D.

Could there be a colour that humans are not able to see / perceive? Or could yellow to me means blue to you, and blue to me means black to you?

Level 21
Could there be a colour that humans are not able to see / perceive?

well visible light is just part of the electromagnetic spectrum, snakes can see in infra-red but what they actually "see" is not known, because we cannot imagine any other colours we cannot show they exist. intresting fact tho, the purplish colour mauve (spelling?) was an invented colour. i cant remember who invented it but i think it was about 120 years ago that colour had never been seen before.

another intresting fact, pink does not actually exist, when we see something that is pink it is a mix of the two wavelengths that make up purple and green, then our brain makes up the colour because there isnt a colour where one should be. i made a thread about this explaining it better so if your intrested search for it.

Or could yellow to me means blue to you, and blue to me means black to you?

yeh thats the unknown philosohpical/phycological part, our brains could all interprit colour differently, even tho our eyes all see it the same. we dont really know.

Status
Not open for further replies.