• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

The Colour Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Edit: Added more pictures of more games.

I posted this is response to somebody when they were talking about character design in terms of colour. I thought it would be interesting to mention my reason why, and share the discussion here to see if people agree/disagree.

I don't get their change in character design...

In WoL, Infested Kerrigan displayed bright yellow/orange eyes, the very same ones Blizzard recycled for Diablo in Diablo 3 (you can clearly see that in the respective cinematic, Diablo ascending heaven).

In this cinematic, Infested Kerrigan features purple energy veins, aswell as a corresponding eye design.
Yes yes, it's a "dream", "vision" or "memory", whatever.
This change in character design doesn't make any sense.

I dont know the answer, but Blizzard's latest games seem to have soooooo much purple in them. I beleive all the blues and greens are there because they fit nicely with the colour purple. Look at world of warcraft, Starcraft II, Starcraft 2 expansion. Purple everywhere.

The colour purple is involved in the release of the hormone "endorphins". This chemical causes you to feel happy. Chocolate releases endorphins and so does pysical activity like sports, etc.

Unfortunately there is not too much evidence to support this. I read it in a scientist magazine. One of my nerdy friends at school also mentioned it. And its perfectly logical that Blizzard would use purple to do this. A lot of other gaming companies use a fair bit of purple, League of Legends being one of them.

Of course certain colours are used to acheive certain effects. We all learn that in year 7 English. However, this cannot be the reason why purple is used to such a degree. Why not? Well purple is a soothing and relaxing colour. Its strange that a game involving mass war amonst alien races and the humans would have so much purple.

Purple%20Terrain.jpg

Purple%20Shields.jpg

QOB%20Cinematic.jpg

Zerg%20Base.jpg

Summoners rift didnt have too much purple in it ( the main 5v5 map). However, theres plenty of purple minions and towers running around. Quite a few champions are primarily purple. Some creep minions and baron are too.
Dominion%201.jpg

Twisted%20Treeline.jpg

Dominion%202.jpg

Act 2 in Diabo didn't have much purple. Dont forget the characters usually had some purple clothing. Despite act 2, D3 was packed with purple colours.
Act%20I%201.jpg

Act%20III%202.jpg

Act%20III%201.jpg

Act%20I%202.jpg

Act%20IV%201.jpg

Of course these pictures are of selected areas to show the extent of which the game uses purple. I'm not saying every area is full of purple, I'm saying the game generally do have excessive purple in them.

Nothing wrong with what they're doing. Thought it would be interesting to bring it up.

Last edited:
Level 25
Part of Blizzard's visual design is to make the different races visually distinguishable from each other, by use of materials and colours.
All zerg units, especially creep, has purple in it. HotS is the zerg expansion, so naturally purple is the colour to make it visually distinguishable as the zerg game.

We're only seeing it now with SC2, since in all their previous RTS games, they included multiple campaigns.

Note how WoL was very "terran" in colour.

The screenshots you've posted definitely puts it in better perspective, I had no idea the tilesets have also undergone the purple shift.

I'm not aware of any scientific effects of the colour purple, but historically it is associated with royalty. This is in line with Kerrigan as the Queen of Blades, although it doesn't make a lot of sense that this is only being visually explored more than 10 years after the fact. Maybe it's more of a "oh look guys I'm the queen of both the zerg AND the terran now".

Level 16
We're only seeing it now with SC2, since in all their previous RTS games, they included multiple campaigns.

Im aware that Wings of Liberty featured blue colours. But the game itself still has a lot of purple in it. Not only the zerg, but the terrain, doodads etc. Yes there are plenty of maps without purple, but theres always a large zerg base to add that purple.

I'm not aware of any scientific effects of the colour purple, but historically it is associated with royalty. This is in line with Kerrigan as the Queen of Blades, although it doesn't make a lot of sense that this is only being visually explored more than 10 years after the fact. Maybe it's more of a "oh look guys I'm the queen of both the zerg AND the terran now".

I tried looking for websites to link here, unfortunately I could not find much. So people may get skeptical. I have read it before. And out of the blues, my nerdy friend in school happens to mention the effects of purple. The head of science agreed that he also read about the effects of purple inducing endorphins. If I find an article, I'll let you know.

Part of Blizzard's visual design is to make the different races visually distinguishable from each other, by use of materials and colours.

You should keep in mind that a lot of other games by Blizzard and other companies use high levels of purple. World of Warcraft, Diablo 3, League of Legends. I will post some pictures when I get the time to support this statement.

Level 25
There was an interesting article on Cracked (I know, I know) about various colours and their subconscious effects. It didn't include purple, but it was well sourced. Maybe I can find it again.

LoL seemed more blue/yellow to me, but I didn't play it much. I can't comment on WoW or D3 much, although D3 was very red.

I can't actually think of any other games that use purple... but then again war3 is pretty much the only thing I play.

Level 8
I think purple is used because it's considered unreal/magical/cool and stuff. Look at Netherstorm in Wow.

Level 5
All I know about it purple is its association with royalty. And the fact that its a hell of a lot cooler than pink XD

Level 16
Purple is the bane of humanity.

Ehh, what makes you say that?

Purple is used to annoy us. Unlike reptiles we have poor purple vision because of a lost cone type.

I have a basic understanding of cones, going through biology, however they didnt mention anything about its lack of ability to detect purple and consequential outcomes. Care to explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.