• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What do YOU want out of an ORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I've begun an ORPG: the type of project that 50% of the time gets ditched halfway through, and rarely becomes popular (defiance, TBR, and FF open are the only good ones I can think of). However, I'm set on doing one. And I would like to ask fellow warcraft'ers (idk...) what YOU want out of an ORPG?

What makes them appealing to you (if anything)? Why would you consider playing one again?

Level 7
Screw story... I just want the game and characters to be as perfectly balanced as possible.

Level 3
Main thing in ORPG's for me is for Unique Heroes and Custom spells. Don't care as much that they are based off of already made spells, just as long as they have cool names and effects.
-Interesting and more original quests (Not quests like "kill 5 golems......").

Level 5
Only make a few classes. Around 10, not 50 like other ones. Make the quests not necessarily good story wise but make them fun and not like chores.

Level 12
I want the Map to interact with itself.....
You and the other kids a just small pawns....

Some Ideas I had for an Open RPG were...
1) Orcs and Humans Fighting Eachother
2) Gladiator/ Arena at northrend
3) Land of the Dead where you must Run to escape since most of the units won't really die.... they'lll just.... look dead....

Level 27
Epic story!
Epic cinematics!

Epic non-grinding gameplay!
Epic not spend half of your life to get items!
(Oh, and Epic Bosses!)

Screw story... I just want the game and characters to be as perfectly balanced as possible.

Main thing in ORPG's for me is for Unique Heroes and Custom spells. Don't care as much that they are based off of already made spells, just as long as they have cool names and effects.
-Interesting and more original quests (Not quests like "kill 5 golems......").

Only make a few classes. Around 10, not 50 like other ones. Make the quests not necessarily good story wise but make them fun and not like chores.

I want the Map to interact with itself.....
You and the other kids a just small pawns....

Some Ideas I had for an Open RPG were...
1) Orcs and Humans Fighting Eachother
2) Gladiator/ Arena at northrend
3) Land of the Dead where you must Run to escape since most of the units won't really die.... they'lll just.... look dead....

Exactly.

I want the terrain to be nice, i want to be able to ignore the environment but still think the game itself is beautifull. If you balance perfect terrain with addictive gameplay you're in.

Level 11
Overall:
-Interesting quests;
-Storyline that allows the game to finish. Most quests must be linked with the game's main quest;
-Intro cinematic representing the main quest of the storyline. Yeah, just like Neverwinter Nights 2;
-Nice terrain is meant to be interesting: deep caves, dark forests, impassible mountains, rivers to cross using a boat (that costs money);
-Trade. Trade items with other players. Items representing gold that are combining and split on use (but maybe not).
-Epic bosses, INTERESTING creeps (I mean that you make storyline for creeps);
-Bases. Bases where your hero can stop, buy items, sell items, go to special places (such as gladiator's arena or Race Colleseum). Bases must be constructively detailed, not just a massive stock of mess, containing houses and various trash in it. Villages must have streets in them;
-Broken bridges;
-Good rewards;
-Players may not communicate using traditional method. Players may hear each other only when they are close to each other. Another way is auto mailing - when you store text in an item, while item's custom value serves as letter's ID. Here's tutorial on the Hive about hiding messages from the screen. I know how to do anything of these, but I'll tell nothing more.

Level 3
I want epic boss battles and unique way to upgrade your stats. And I want a new way of transportation like a mount or boat across the sea or maybe something like a zepplin and etc...just no teleporting or portals of any kind.
Check TKoK's equipment system and their way to upgrade your stats, its pretty unique from other ORPGs.

Level 2
how polished the map is is the first thing i think of for a good orpg. if anyone ever played elemental rpg before, the concept is good, but the effort is pretty bad.

i want an rpg where you don't have to grind for hours for get 1 level.

i like teamwork in an rpg, so that you can't just solo everything.

really good items, well thought out and balanced items.

good heroes, not too many. try not to use like dh, or bm as hero models.

abilities, i personally like how defiance or imagica rpg(The Imagica RPG v3.8 - Warcraft 3 Maps - EpicWar.com) have their abilities. you really have to strive to get them. however, i like abilities to be really well designed and executed.

quests, good quests and a storyline people will actually do.

things that make it stand out. i.e TKoK shows how much dmg you do everytime, has custom models, and has a unique thing for equipment. what makes it stand out also, is how well it is made. tbr had a secondary class thing where you can make pots, or become a weaponsmith.

the final good trait of a great rpg, it hooks you. you can't stop playing the rpg. when you play wc3, you want to host the map and play with teamates again to kill better bosses, get better items, get more levels, etc. and what really hooks you, imo, is a great base for an rpg, and secondly, custom stuff that you wouldn't find in other rpgs.

Level 3
how polished the map is is the first thing i think of for a good orpg. if anyone ever played elemental rpg before, the concept is good, but the effort is pretty bad.

i want an rpg where you don't have to grind for hours for get 1 level.

i like teamwork in an rpg, so that you can't just solo everything.

really good items, well thought out and balanced items.

good heroes, not too many. try not to use like dh, or bm as hero models.

abilities, i personally like how defiance or imagica rpg(The Imagica RPG v3.8 - Warcraft 3 Maps - EpicWar.com) have their abilities. you really have to strive to get them. however, i like abilities to be really well designed and executed.

quests, good quests and a storyline people will actually do.

things that make it stand out. i.e TKoK shows how much dmg you do everytime, has custom models, and has a unique thing for equipment. what makes it stand out also, is how well it is made. tbr had a secondary class thing where you can make pots, or become a weaponsmith.

the final good trait of a great rpg, it hooks you. you can't stop playing the rpg. when you play wc3, you want to host the map and play with teamates again to kill better bosses, get better items, get more levels, etc. and what really hooks you, imo, is a great base for an rpg, and secondly, custom stuff that you wouldn't find in other rpgs.

Oh yes I forgot about TBR's professions. Professions are nice to have, I liked how ppl were asking for a weaponsmith and etc to make them w/e they wanted.

Oh I also want end game content. That was one thing TBR lacked. Sure there is the hyperion but thats about it. End game content with those epic boss battles and items is what keeps me going on in WoW and ORPG in wc3.

Level 6
The most important thing for me is that it has many heroes to chose from, each with unique abilitys, and many of them! Atleast 1½ filled up spellbook. As for the story I don't really think that there is a "need" for a good story in orpg, of course it should have one, but focusing more on epic bosses and dungeons that requires teamwork. And as final NO multi hour grinding just to get to the late levels, fill it up with something fun and exiting.

Level 10
Forget about the story. You just put three lines of generic text.

What is really cool in a RPG is exciting dungeons. Exciting for all levels. The noob dungeons as well, with levers, traps and falling bridges. And job changing. With many forks. As well as skill trees, with amazing skill effects and art.

Also, it should be never-ending. And huuuuuge. Use hacks to make the map larger and use the scale of the game 0.5/1 or 0.25/1. This would make a good RPG.

Level 3
Forget about the story. You just put three lines of generic text.

What is really cool in a RPG is exciting dungeons. Exciting for all levels. The noob dungeons as well, with levers, traps and falling bridges. And job changing. With many forks. As well as skill trees, with amazing skill effects and art.

Also, it should be never-ending. And huuuuuge. Use hacks to make the map larger and use the scale of the game 0.5/1 or 0.25/1. This would make a good RPG.

:nw: i never thaught of that... its genius ... :nw: ima do that on teh rpg i make later ... :cute:

and what i like in an rpg is the cool heros/ spells and all that other stuff that was mentioned but also that in some places you may have to team up to get past, but also where you can go off on you own and clean up...

Last edited:
Level 5
-Balanced classes
-Gigantic, insane, extreme spells of mass-destruction... and some not SO extreme
-Nice terrain
-Interesting story
-Quests that doesnt only involve killing 5 wolves of bears or gnolls or whatever
-and a little monkey playing piano

thats a good RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.