• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What do you want from an ORPG template?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
I am a firm believer of the philosophy that most ORPGs are crap. Also, there's too few of them.
Thus, I want to make a template that fixes at least some of their issues and makes it easier to develop them.
So what do you want from an ORPG template?
What makes a good ORPG?
What do you dislike about existing ORPGs?

I still have yet to see someone (other than myself) implement a codeless save/load system into their map. Save codes for the user should essentially be dead now.

Also, most ORPGs have boring item systems. In the ORPG I'm working on I've implemented a system where you can socket items with gems to customize each item's stats as well as have random stats on certain item drops. The code is basically all public here. I also prefer equipment systems with over 6 slots.

Anyway the template should include at least these systems: codeless save/load, hero selection, recipe sys, item stack/split, item drops, creep/hero revive.

Level 21
I have not remained in touch with this. Do we have a reliable and fast codeless save/load now? I remember the problem originally was that although we had a way to sync, it was extremely slow.
How do you handle sockets? Do you have additional versions of items or do you just use "virtual items" through a fullscreen interface?
I checked the inventory system you have. How does it handle the problems that DGUI had? Namely that the UI lags in multiplayer?

I have not remained in touch with this. Do we have a reliable and fast codeless save/load now? I remember the problem originally was that although we had a way to sync, it was extremely slow.
How do you handle sockets? Do you have additional versions of items or do you just use "virtual items" through a fullscreen interface?
I checked the inventory system you have. How does it handle the problems that DGUI had? Namely that the UI lags in multiplayer?

The codeless save/load is more than fast enough, you can read the documentation if you want. Essentially I solved it through unit selections and game cache syncing. I've tested it in many maps in battle.net, with around 6 players and it works great. I've also tried 12 in LAN and I've had reports of people trying more online.

And yeah sockets are handled through "virtual items". However you can even use the ability card for an equipment system, which will keep tooltips similar to the items in bag. There's a few systems in the spells section which do this, but honestly I prefer the UI system.

The lag is solved through updating the billboarded dummy unit's position for only the local player.

Level 31
Xonok, for codeless save/load, I came up with a new technique to check if the gamecache was synchronized. Rather than sending out flags, I opted for polling. I let TriggerHappy know to use this technique and we benchmarked it and found it to be a very viable solution ; ). He implemented a gamecache synchronization library based on polling.

Spawn System Where 1 Spawn Type Can Be Across Several Spawn Locations With Caps On Unit Types That Can Be Up And Weights Along With Variable Respawn Time Support And Override Support Based On Next Spawning Type And Conditions On Certain Spawn Types Based On History Of Spawns.

Weather System

Codeless Save/Load

Easy To Modify Inventory System Dynamically Tied Into Codeless Save/Load

Easy To Modify Custom Ability System

Custom XP System Based On Difference In Party Level, Mob Level, Region, Etc

Item Drop System With Support For Groups Of Item Pools. Between X And Y Items Can Drop. Example -> Of These Drops, A Slots May Be From Pool A, B Slots May Be From Pool B, 1 Slot Has a 70% Chance To Be From Pool B, A 25% Chance To Be From Pool C, And A 5% Chance To Be From Pool D While Another Slot Has A 100% Chance To Be From Pool E.

Quest System

Item Stack/Split System

Hero Selection System

Weapon/Armor To Attack Type/Defense Type + Targeting System

Agro System

Fast Travel System With Support For Only Activated Waypoints (Think Diablo)

Dungeon System. Reset the dungeon, rewards for the dungeon, phases for the dungeon, etc.

AI/Moveset System. Change The Weight Of Certain Moves Whenever. This Would Allow For Boss Battle Events And Boss Battle Phases.

Attack Indexing System

Damage Detection System

Logarithmic Accuracy System. The farther the target is, the more likely you are to miss based upon your accuracy stat. Give additional weight to a positive or negative Z-difference in location, the positive reducing accuracy more and the negative reducing accuracy less.

Quest System. Floating Unit's Above NPC's Etc.

Mountain System. Based On The Change In Elevation Between Two Points, Determine Whether Or Not A Character Can Pass Through A Point Of Terrain. This Would Allow Mappers To Create Mountains With Terrain Elevation Without Placing Pathing Blockers.

That should be a decent start ; ).

Level 21
I think it's really important to have the template be simplistic. Although attack indexing and the like can be really useful, they are also bound to be quite difficult to use as a mapper.
It's probably more reasonable to start out with the basics:
1. Hero/Class selection
2. Droptables/Bounties
3. Hero revive/Creep Respawn
4. Leveling system
5. Save/Load

After those are done I'll see what makes the most sense as I go. For instance, some things I would really like to make are modular ability and buff systems, but those are not truly necessary and thus not a priority.
Then again some things are very likely to go in. For instance, what would an ORPG without quests be? They are quite important. Just not crucial.

Status
Not open for further replies.