• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[ORPG]Need Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
As the title says, I am thinking of making an ORPG map but I would want to gather what players want in an ORPG.

Any suggestions or anything you can state that you want when you play an ORPG?

Thanks. :)

Nor

Nor

Level 3
high quality bosses
a different stat system
fully custom abilities
a good story line
backpack
class(Common,Rare,etc.), inventory usage(one sword only) and type(sword, bow) of the item

the rest is yours.

Level 11
High quality bosses, for example??

what kind of stat system??

Class, what do you mean common, rare, etc. ??

Nor

Nor

Level 3
a really super dude that uses spell(boss1),stun spell(boss2),chain spell(boss3),aoe spell(lastboss maybe?)

damage stat,attack speed stat or something like that.

class means like Common can be buyed and it gives just right bonuses or abilities. Rare items can be find only by hard work or boss drop and has powerful effects.

Level 3
Well I've played just about every ORPG there is.

I think in my opinion from most important to least (remember just my opinion don't hate D;)

-Balance (so god damned crucial); this includes leveling, attributes, spells, gold, enemies, quests, etc.

-Lots of quests, including your standard slay this and that, or kill this guy, or retrieve my item (HOWEVER); inside quests you can put some that are puzzles to solve, or some that are triggered by riddle solving and typing it at a certain location (cool stuff like that keeps me very entertained!)

-Nice terrain that is varied yet not to overfilled you can barely see anything. Custom terrain is so nice to look at (gaia and TKOK for example)

-Hero variation, I find it nice in Gaia that there is only a total of 10 classes, that is enough, maybe 4 base classes x3 specilizations are better so there's 12. Please do not do 4 base classes with 1 options to advance at 4 different advancements like twilight.

-Boss fights that aren't basic tank and spank, have them do cool things like summon minions every 30secs at 75% hp, gain a buff at 50% and then turn invulnerable at 25% hp and charge around the room for 10seconds 1 hitting anyone that doesn't avoid it or something. Stuff like that is awesome and keeps people on their toes and doesn't let high levels carrying people just afk at the keyboard.

-Don't go with higher numbers, i.e. heroes getting to lvl 200 with 2k agil and shet, it's stupid and harder to balance in my opinion. I think a level cap of 50-60 is ideal.

There are more but I think those are most important :) GL if you decide to go through with it

Level 11
thank you for your suggestion Philstinator. I shall take those in mind. +rep'd

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
1. The map should be simple and easy to learn, in my opinion advanced systems ruin the gameplay. For example, when you choose a hero and the info box tell you hp, mana, attack speed, damage, agi, int, str, armor, role, abilties and so on. This is very confusing since it makes the hero selection much harder. It should simply display class name, role, difficulty, short summray on the play style of the hero

2. a good 3rd person camera system, I see way too few of those in rpgs

3. warcraft 3-ish terrain, playable terrains ruins the game for me, for example the map shadows of the past got well made terrain but I really dont like that. I prefer the warcraft 3-ish style

Level 21
Avoid putting too much damage on any class, even if they are the damagers. Instead you can give them different playstyles(like AoE damage vs Singletarget).
That because damage classes are universally useful once the utility roles have been filled enough(tank,healer).

Also, give people as many meaningful choices as they can take without being overwhelmed. I love being able to choose how I want to play.

Be VERY careful with lifesteal if you use it at all. I've seen many good maps ruined by making high lifesteal available to DPS classes(thus making tanks pointless).

Try to get the balance to scale linearly, instead of exponentially. This usually means avoiding percentual bonuses or making them have diminishing returns.

Level 28
Try to have an original story, or at least sufficient variety in the quests that players don't feel they've already played this a thousand times. So limit fetch quests, or flesh them out (say you're told to retrieve a stolen sword. But when you get it, it turns out the questgiver was the thief, and now you're under arrest, and it goes on from there).

Multiple endings to quests are always good, but of course they require more work.

For the love of all that is holy, run every last line of text you write through a spellchecker.

If ever you include riddles that require the player to type something out, make sure the solution is written down on an item somewhere on the map.

Make common items (potions, spells...) stackable or a non-inventory system that keeps track of how many you've picked up.

Arrange for the map to be finishable on single player (e.g., if there's a series of switches that requires all players to stand on at the same time, give the player control over those heroes at the beginning of the game), this'll help with bugfinding.

Try to find some unique bossfight mechanisms. Take inspiration from other series (Zelda, God of War...) without outright copying them.

Level 30
Mostly there are many things to put in an OPRG maps but the basics is of course: story! First you must concentrate on the ORPG's story. Even for an open RPG it still must have a story to support it with. Also, better if you can think of well though story such as putting twists in it. Next are quests, of course it depends on the story and this will follow but always make sure to add some interesting names and descriptions into quests and optional ones also dont forget rewards. Putting up a good and fitting reward for a quest makes it better. This are the basics for me but:

More will follow such as your systems. Does your game have some systems in it which makes it have this RPG feeling into it. But one tip, is when adding systems into your map, dont go overboard. Some ORPG Systems are too difficult to get with and through that it makes the map overall hard to get with too. So mostly, focus on useful yet simple systems that fits your ORPG map. Next are puzzles. This is what most ORPG maps forgets all the time and to be honest this makes the game quite interesting and it doesnt make the RPG that dull where you just go kill, questing, looting and repeat process. It adds more of a decor to your map. Next, Cant say much words into this but its about difficulty. Some RPG out there requires more player but if you imagin and played it even for an SP or single player it is easy to beat and there is no challenge and some is the opposite. So, you must give a fitting difficulty into the game so there will be teamwork into the ORPG which makes it more fun to play with your friends. Lastly, bosses, make them worth their title. Some RPG out there forgot to give proper elemnts to bosses that makes them easy to defeat even in soloing it (even its a multiplayer game). Others, even with no proper plan, strategy and tactics, they are easy to beat. SO always remember that make bosses worth their title. make them have the necessary spells that makes them strong (but not undefeatable though). Take APproject's map as example. Bosses there requires you to formulate a proper strategy to defeat bosses with hgih amount of HP and high amount of damage.

That is all. xD

Level 12
I got to disagree with some of you. I am playing WC3 RPGs ever since and I never had a desire to know anything about the story. Even terrain ain't that important since the most famous RPGs like TBR, GoH, Defiance and so on do not shine with their terrain.

Alot of various items, interesting quests and random spells make a good RPG imo.
Do not implement too many systems like in TKOK for example.

It should also be playable in single-player.

Level 11
Thank you for all the descriptive response guys. I have an idea now what to put and what not to put on an ORPG. Keep the ideas coming :)

+rep to all who gave suggestions :)

Level 8
Be noted that all these idees are loose from eachother, meaning you don't have to use all of them/follow them, just giving you some things i like, or would like to see in an orpg.

- extended pvp system, maybe a big arena in the hometown.

-alot of advancement in classes, maybe start off with 4 basic classes, but there should be alot of desisions to be made, changing the hero you get in the end immensely.

-maybe focus some of the mages skills on spell books you can find from mage-style bosses, or buy in shops, mages should have ALOT of spells, cause there mages, even some spells like hex, invisabilaty, ect., spellbooks should be an item.

-some skill based stuff,
like maybe being able to dodge attacks rather then to tank the dmg, (little like in hunters guild)

-PETS! cause evrybody likes a good pet.

- there should be solo bosses, and bosses you must fight in team.

Status
Not open for further replies.