• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

What do you want out of an RPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
An RPG that does require some thought and skill in combat instead of the old click once with mouse and then just spam some spells.

An RPG with more then 8 spells per calss

An RPG with more then 2 hours of gameplay

An RPG with more then 10 side quests

An RPG with original quests(not those get me this, kill me that, kill me that and get this from that)

I think there is more, but I can't think of any at the moment. If you manage to create this pm me the link to the map :)

• A whole mess of simple, leakless trigger systems like a simple item durability system and a one-type item of each that you can hold without it being so complicated, therefore making it less likely to lag system.
  • Custom spells that look cool, but simple at the same time so it doesn't lag.
  • A long storyline quest and a dumpload of side quests that give you awesome things, but make you do something complicated to get it like WoW.
  • Now for the heroes, you choose a race and you get a single hero where you level up, taking up whatever talents and spells you desire from a list set in front of you as you level up.
  • Awesome terrain and awesome doodads that aren't walkthrough like bad maps that can't work doodads right.
  • No typoes, I HATE careless mapmakers that leave typoes alone for players to try and read. Typoes are a bane to the Internet Society.
  • Map size is the least of my problems.
  • Imports are o.k. as long as they look cool and not crappy.

And that's my list of what I want in an RPG.

Last edited:
Level 12
Custom Heroes

The RPG teaches you Techniques on how to fight
-Priority of which Unit(s) to attack first
-Focus Firing on certain Enemies
-If you Have Slow Poison, you want to Attack every unit instead of following the focus fire
-Using Alt Key And Healing your Allies before they die
-Tank, Ranged, Spell Caster (You should have one Hero that can turn into all three)
-No Poly Morph/Stun/Silencing/slow Abilities (Makes game too easy) (Unless they are only for a quick second to act as COunter Spells)
-TOns of Mana/Life Watching and talking
-No Uber Items, the only items you'll ever get will
-No Health Regeneration (So the game is about skill, not Getting over 9000 strength)
-Mana cap is at 100, Intel raises Regeneration (It will make spells easier to balance, trust meh, I would know, I'm an expert [Boondocks Reference])
-Attack spells will change in terms of power depending on area of Effect and range (Chain Lightning, Finger of pain, Rain of Fire, Warstomp)
-Items have Engineering upgrade that allows your spells to cost less mana but have a longer cooldown or casting time
-Mirror Image (Yes) Invisibility (no) Invincibility (Maybe it is momentary and acts as a "dodge")
-Summoning only gives units that have kaboom or Heal and are temporary
-Attack speed upgrade does not exsists inorder to allow people to time Divine sheild with enemy attacks

An Arena Aspect just for shets and giggles

Those are my thoughts I had more but forgot them

Level 12
So good you forgot them.

Everyone already knows the basics of warcraft3 melee map combat. We need something new and easy to use. I mean the thing I said before and that is given in link.

Honestly though...
Not many People know how to work it though....

And when it comes down to it...
Everyone knows how to play halos repetitive combat.... (But they haven't perfected it)
Everyone knows how to play Soul Calibur.... But they haven't perfected it

I'm all for New and Original, but if he decides not to go towards it (which he may choose just out of convinience sake)
AT least lets try to master the Warcraft Engine

I'll check out the link

I liek the idea of Using whatever Percentage of Mana you want on a single spell....
-This could also be done with a "Charge" up spell....
--You do a spell with casting time 99999. And your mana goes lower over time....
---When you decide thats all the mana you want to use, you cast a spell which takes an instant

SOrt of like a kamehamea.... Charge up spell.... then release......
THat way people don't have to Say codes..... (Which I find to be a bit weird :/ but maybe its just me...)

I really like your idea.....

Level 7
-Enter-able Buildings.
-Use of attachments for weapons, not items.
-Good 3rd person camera view/arrow keys (if at all possible wasd movement, but that's far harder).
-Well-triggerred Spells (quality over quantity!)
-Engaging storyline
-Remarkable terrain

Custom Heroes

The RPG teaches you Techniques on how to fight
-Priority of which Unit(s) to attack first
-Focus Firing on certain Enemies
-If you Have Slow Poison, you want to Attack every unit instead of following the focus fire
-Using Alt Key And Healing your Allies before they die
-Tank, Ranged, Spell Caster (You should have one Hero that can turn into all three)
-No Poly Morph/Stun/Silencing/slow Abilities (Makes game too easy) (Unless they are only for a quick second to act as COunter Spells)
-TOns of Mana/Life Watching and talking
-No Uber Items, the only items you'll ever get will
-No Health Regeneration (So the game is about skill, not Getting over 9000 strength)
-Mana cap is at 100, Intel raises Regeneration (It will make spells easier to balance, trust meh, I would know, I'm an expert [Boondocks Reference])
-Attack spells will change in terms of power depending on area of Effect and range (Chain Lightning, Finger of pain, Rain of Fire, Warstomp)
-Items have Engineering upgrade that allows your spells to cost less mana but have a longer cooldown or casting time
-Mirror Image (Yes) Invisibility (no) Invincibility (Maybe it is momentary and acts as a "dodge")
-Summoning only gives units that have kaboom or Heal and are temporary
-Attack speed upgrade does not exsists inorder to allow people to time Divine sheild with enemy attacks

An Arena Aspect just for shets and giggles

Those are my thoughts I had more but forgot them

There are certain aspects of your list that sounds weird and confusing, like no uber items and no health regeneration. What kind of RPG would it be if there was no uber items? You can put in uber items if there was a difficult side quest to obtain it. And if the part about people getting too much of one attribute is bothering you, triggers are there for those kinds of problems.

Level 12
There are certain aspects of your list that sounds weird and confusing, like no uber items and no health regeneration. What kind of RPG would it be if there was no uber items? You can put in uber items if there was a difficult side quest to obtain it. And if the part about people getting too much of one attribute is bothering you, triggers are there for those kinds of problems.

I mean...
It starts feeling like a lot of RPGs get really easy at a certain point......
And Health Regen is an aspect of that....

I'd say Potions yes, Health Regen no

I mean...
It starts feeling like a lot of RPGs get really easy at a certain point......
And Health Regen is an aspect of that....

I'd say Potions yes, Health Regen no

You can make it so, that everytime you put into Strength, you get a puny fraction of HP regeneration. It doesn't have to be a lot. And there can be less items with small HP regeneration. It's just simple.

Level 12
You can make it so, that everytime you put into Strength, you get a puny fraction of HP regeneration. It doesn't have to be a lot. And there can be less items with small HP regeneration. It's just simple.

True, But whats the point of the health regen if its so small?
It would only be useful if you weren't in battle.

I figure, Health Regen is another form of armor.
Armor is another form of HP...
Just simplify it all....

True, But whats the point of the health regen if its so small?
It would only be useful if you weren't in battle.

I figure, Health Regen is another form of armor.
Armor is another form of HP...
Just simplify it all....

So, if everyone's HP was set at 100 at the start of the game and it stays that way, it would make them focus on one type of protection, which is armor. I guess it sounds better that way. But, there's no need to take out HP regeneration, Formula1. I like your ideas of an RPG, just that single part is what goes against my beliefs of an RPG.

Level 12
So, if everyone's HP was set at 100 at the start of the game and it stays that way, it would make them focus on one type of protection, which is armor. I guess it sounds better that way. But, there's no need to take out HP regeneration, Formula1. I like your ideas of an RPG, just that single part is what goes against my beliefs of an RPG.

I understand,
I'm not here to say I'm 100% right... (Cuz I might be horribly wrong [which I never am {Just Becuase
}])
But I say what I'm saying becuz....

1) Health is the idea of "How many hits can you take before you die"
2) Armor is Unnecessary since it complicates the idea
3) Health Regen just makes the battle longer then it ought to be or useless...

Health... "How many hits can you take before you die"

Spells that you can use to heal yourself maybe
-Auras that give you Health Regeneration Maybe....

But I'm not a fan of that unless its made sure things don't get overpowered....
I'd like to keep the game about skill and strategy...
ANd less about how uber a person can become....

THough Each hero will feel uber....
So long you know how to use him right....

And for tanks...
All they need to watch is watch their health....

Level 11
IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT OUT OF AN RPG?!

We all know that everyone has already experienced warcraft3 combats and understands them pretty well. And now it comes time for something different than just clicking a unit to attack and waiting until it dies.

I suggest the new combat system (it's also described in link I gave somewhere on first page of this thread) - evading and attacking for melee fights (mana will be energy - when mana drops to 0, you fall asleep. Energy is also used by mages to cast spells. Yeah, mana will be fatigue) - each hit, each strike (there are many of them - each takes different amount of mana to cast) are made by you. When two fighters hit each other at the same time, their swords cross and do not hurt anyone, but take much more fatigue as punishment. When shooting - aim carefully and don't run out of arrows.

Level 12
IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT OUT OF AN RPG?!

We all know that everyone has already experienced warcraft3 combats and understands them pretty well. And now it comes time for something different than just clicking a unit to attack and waiting until it dies.

I suggest the new combat system (it's also described in link I gave somewhere on first page of this thread) - evading and attacking for melee fights (mana will be energy - when mana drops to 0, you fall asleep. Energy is also used by mages to cast spells. Yeah, mana will be fatigue) - each hit, each strike (there are many of them - each takes different amount of mana to cast) are made by you. When two fighters hit each other at the same time, their swords cross and do not hurt anyone, but take much more fatigue as punishment. When shooting - aim carefully and don't run out of arrows.

You described pretty much what I want
Skill, tactics and paying attention

Just some htings I think about though...
-Complicating the game (Good or bad?)
-Uber items (Good or Bad?)
-How to maximize Tactics and skill

I'm just wanting to make sure if a game is to be made
It will be the best game ever....

I made a forum about it
Figuring out the science of games
Understanding different balances, and ideas....
I'm not always right, I could always be wrong...
But I just want to learn and make every game the best it can be

And the way I see it... The things I said... Would promote skill
-No Health Regen would mean people would have to use More spells and items
--Pay more attention to items and mana
-No Uber Items would mean that people will have to play through the game with skill the entire time... no just sitting back (but maybe people should have times to sit back?)
-No Armor Means Agility is just a matter of fearing being attacked and distracting opponents so you can get as many attacks of at once as possible

There is something satisfying about the classic Vampiric Aura+High Attack Speed and doing nothing but watching you win though...

Level 15
I want a true open roleplaying game. Meaning:
1:I want to be able to do what I want, how I want, whenever I want to, without being restrained by a linear 'main quest'. Screw a main quest. Make multiple strings of quests that follow a storyline, fine, but not a quest that is better than the rest.

2:A custom equipment system would be awesome.

3:A system that lets you get bonuses to skills/abilities in the beginning, but the ability to learn whatever skills/abilities you want, regardless of the bonuses you select in the beginning.

4:A growth system. The higher level you are, the older you become. A level of say 20 would be a full-grown adult, as opposed to a level of 2, which would be a teenager.

5:Crafting that lets you make goods for profit, but require special ingredients before-hand.

6:Custom attack system based on third edition DnD rules, which requires you to get certain checks using a 'd20'+bonuses from items/abilities/skills/level to get an end result. You attack/pass checks if your 'roll' is higher than the target's armor/difficulty rating. This could also be used with spells and abilities. Critical hits would occur on a roll of 20 (or lower, if you have specific skill or special ability), where you deal extra damage or harvest/obtain extra ingredients (for aforementioned crafting).

Level 20
- A lot of good quests with a story to follow.
- Equipment system that lets you equip only one type of weapon, armor etc. Doesnt have to be 10 slots epic system...
- Classes that make sense.
- Raids to go with a party.
- Epic boss fights with a triggered AI.
- Items that increase your magical damage dealt/healed.
- GOOD TERRAIN.
- And a save system ofcourse.

Level 15
Not to burst your bubble, I wasn't "supporting" your idea. I was sharing my own ideas which are clearly different than yours. Not that your idea isn't good or anything, I'm just saying I didn't comment on your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.