• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What do YOU want to see in an RPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I want to see a fast action paced RPG with good and scaling! spells. I have played plenty of those RPGs that take you forever to level and I personally don't like this. This means I don't want I RPG where the hero has like 10 levels or something.
Starting with an AoS part would be nice lets say you are a recruit of (insert name of a faction in your map) which wages war against (insert evil) As you are nearly to win this AoS the battle field turned as they unleash incredible magic powers defeating your faction and sending you to exile where you gather your friends and the real RPG part starts.
To wrap it up I don't like long winded RPGs :) Good Luck with your map.

Level 8
Personally I love (I don't think I'm alone) some great endgame instances, and bosses. But the instances should include secret doors (to secret bosses or area's), and many puzzles.

Maybe you could do like a class to subclass thing with your class system. Make it so that every class has 2 or 3 subclasses (But they can only choose 1) that they can learn 5 skills from and 5 skills from there original class. But only slot for 5 skills out of 10.

Idea for AoS: Maybe the AoS, could be like a race to gear up before the maul's of creeps destroy your base.

Level 3
- Well-Planned Dungeons that require strategy
- A more action-oriented RPG. What do I mean by this? I mean you should have to dodge enemy abilities and the such.
- Good PvP

Level 5
Class evolution, where when you max out your beginning class, you can change into a generally better class based on your playstyle.

Level 10
It would be fun to see a multiplayer ORPG where everyone starts off by choosing class/hero, after everyone has chosen class (starts off at a high lvl) a invasion by a evil legion of demons attacks the town/city. You have to defend the city for a while (10 mins or something) before a grand demon enters the city (could be last boss) he whipes out everything thinking everyone is dead. The heroes survives the attack, all that they have ever known is gone even their memories. Their weapons and armor is badly damaged and in poor condition. A magical creature of light (angel, fairy or anything of the like) appears to tell them about what has happend and what the heroes needs to do to save the world. Here the real ORPG starts, you have to leave the ruined city fending off wolf and other animals that has drawn their attention to the ruins. Once outside you have a choice where to go so you won't need to follow a straight path when you play (some of the choices might be to enter a cave, a ancient forrest where the first part of the trees has been burnt badly and maybe a choice to cross a big barren where scavangers live)

There you have a idea and i would also want to see a ORPG where you don't need to do anything to be able to enter new higher lvl areas (maybe some "instances" would need you to do something like getting a magical stone or getting information of a secret entrance that could be changed each game and unlocked after you have gotten the information) well that's what i had to say :cute: use them if you want :grin: credit and +rep is NOT required

Level 24
Spells, counter spells, and super duper spell interaction.

Things like protections from magic, or weapons that can be countered by "Counter-Spells" (variety of).

Things like if your frozen or slowed, you take more damage from fire spells.

I've been intending to make a system like this for awhile now. It'd be cool.

Level 17
What do I want in an RPG? Well... I want so much in one... I guess I'll just break it down for you.

1. Storyline - A great storyline that isn't as cliché as "a dark overlord/wizard has taken over the world and now you have to save it". Something with twists and turns. A good plot. Why do you need a good, solid plot? Simple. Good plot = good main questline.

2. Quests - I don't want stupid WoW-type quests. I think quests should take a good deal of the RPG so grinding is somewhat avoided. Quests should be rewarding, not just EXP or GOLD given, but something you can use later on in the game that may prove to be rewarding.
Quests should also be thought-out thoroughly. "Kill x of y" or "find x in y" is just plain stupidity. I like it when RPG's include defend-the-castle/place/person/thing and AoS aspects. Riddles, puzzles and minor details can also be good. Quests, as you would know from this post, are my favourite part of an RPG.

3. Heroes - Heroes should be well-thought out and not OP. Most RPGs have one hero that is OP and others that aren't which means only that hero is picked. Heroes should also be balanced, have counterspells for other heroes and reinforcing spells that help reinforce another hero. Or in simple terms; synergy.
I also like it when people are creative about their heroes and what they stand for. Things like Paladins and Rangers I don't like. A Holy Crusader or something meaningful would intrigue me.
Also, uniqueness. Heroes should have one thing very unique about it.

4. Items and tooltips - Items are another thing an RPG should have. And I like it when the creators make their items meaningful to the game and not plain random.
Tooltips should have good grammar too (<3 grammar).

5. Bosses, Creeps and NPCs - These make up the RPG too. They are crucial and I don't like it when they're boring. NPCs should mean a lot to a player, like merchants or profession masters and most of all; quest-givers.
Creeps should also be balanced and not so slow to kill. A slow, boring kill... they should have some kind of gimic that differs them. Like even a spell so the fight isn't so boring. This also applies to bosses. Bosses should have well-structured AI and put up a fight.

6. Dungeons and Areas - Secret areas... meh. They motivate players, that's for sure. Dungeons and Areas (or regions) should have some backstory behind them that defines why you are there, why you are fighting there and why bother? For example, in TKoK, the first area is where Gnolls inhabit. These Gnolls are at battle with the Humans which leads to a whole load of different things.
I also would love to have dungeons with proper riddles and traps.

7. Creativity in the terrain - Yes. I love terrain. Especially when you are captured by it's atmosphere. You sort of have a feeling. I don't know how to explain it. But it makes you think, "Wow..."

And that is about it really... I also don't like lag. So swing away from the lag, bug and glitch road.

Level 10
what i would like in an rpg

I would like to see an RPG with 2 fources going through a similar story line as arch rivals(player controlled) and a multi based resource system using items and such as 3, 4, and 5 resources to buy certain items. a triggered trading system so players can trade items. A comprehensive story line with alot of meaningful dialog. And finnaly multiple endings, and secret areas

Level 5
Well. I would really want the Saperate-Map, Saperate-Dungeon System. Similar/Identical to my favorite RPG Game of all time, Ragos ORPG. It was really fun, It has lots of dungeons and each had their own form of difficulty. I've been looking for some other map similar to it but i just can't find one.

1. It had 10-12 Heroes Only, but each can be played with their certain builds. Just like WoW, they each have skill trees. So all in all, they are different.
2. Not too much imports. This makes loading time from random people BAD. Aslong as the game play is good, the map is good :)
3. Not a Grinding Game. There are some grinding games which are good, but it makes the game all too boring. So yea, quests aren't a bad idea :D
4. Scripted Bosses. I don't want bosses to be just high HP and high damage. It would be better if they each had their own saperate skills. And like, at 50% they do something, and at 25% HP, they transform into something.

Level 11
Wolfe said it almost perfectly actually - what most RPGs lack is a truly interesting story, not the common 'epic' shit that people start to overuse. It's what I would want most in a RPG - a good, truly good storyline. I agree with the quest, terrain and so on thingy of Wolfe too, I just back it up 120%.

Level 3
I would like to see a rpg that is based of WoW lore but the lore has very little info on it so you could lead on that lore with your own story twist. Like the battles in Arathia. King Varian being kidnapped and return to power as a story line RPG I would LOVE to see. Its a pretty good story. Read on WoWwiki:p

give me rep :cute:

Level 3
lol ya i know that now i saw other people doing it so i was like... well ill put it down. Thought it was a good idea.. apparantly not.

Level 3
Complex NPC and Quest interaction. Make dialogue trees (not necessarily in Dialog form), with conversations branching into multiple paths and endings depending on player's responses, reputation, and understanding.

A character's reputation—their relationship with the NPC's faction or race—would affect the kinds of topics the NPC would offer when in "dialogue" mode. The character's understanding—what they know about the NPC and their topics—can be expanded by visiting other regions, speaking to different NPCs, reading books or even encountering certain monsters or situations.

Quests should have a real impact on the world, whether they are a success or a failure. This makes the player's actions more meaningful, and eventually the Questlog will look like a little history of the play session. Some Quests may change depending on the failure or success of previous Quests (not just locking/unlocking alternate Quests).

Level 14
What Makes a good RPG?

The players need to be apart of the world they are playing in. They need to feel the sorrow when there is a sad moment, and feel the excitement when something is epic. They need to be able to care for the world that you, as the mapper, create for them. A good example of this is how JRR Tolkien created his world. You will notice how he just adds extra details into his novels, simple things that some take for granted and make the world sound more natural, to captivate the reader into his personal universe. If you cannot make the players feel as if they are REALLY in this world you have provided them, your RPG will be a failure. So, what will you have to do to accomplish this required task? Well, let me give you a few suggestions by working off what other people have said.

1. An intriguing storyline - Of course, you must write out how your entire RPG will play out. From the point where the main characters adventure begins to the final conclusion is called the "core story." However, if you were to compare an RPG's story to a house, the core story would only be the roof. You, as the mapper, must take responsibility in constructing all of the rooms that make up the house, and create an appropriate world for the players to connect to. You must figure out how to spread out the little pieces of information, that although may not connect to the main storyline, will create a world that the players feel as being real.

2. Telling the story - Although you may be able to create this amazing world, you have to be able to ease the player into the environment, or else your story may be ruined. Instead of throwing the story at the player through some typical long cinematic narration, let the players discover the information. Slowly feed them and let them figure out how the plot unravels. Maybe they could find a mysterious scroll in a dungeon containing a betrayal, or they could overhear a conversation between two peasants, even though they may not take note of it. It is up to you to decide how to do so accordingly with your story. Another thing about telling the story that may work effectively for you. When you believe that you have reached a very important moment in the RPG, may it be romance, sorrow, or action, take the time to create a single illustration for it, and import it into the map. That one moment that is depicted through that picture will allow the players to receive a much bigger meaning than that in which Warcraft III's 3D graphics would ever allow.

3. Instances/Bosses - If you know me at all, you know of my passion for a boss fight. Heck, I wrote a tutorial on the basics. The players need to know that whatever they are fighting is truly a threat to the world they have gotten attached too. So, how do we do this? We create massive citadels teeming with the opposing forces. The evil power that radiates from inside the instances must be amplified in the form of Bosses. These specialized creatures will battle the players, working to test all the skills and tricks of game-play they have learned so far. Complex Triggering accompanied with dialog and personality will show the true face of the villains the players are up against. The only way you can truly tell if your bosses are well constructed enough are in the beta-tests, and may be one of the toughest things for an RPG mapper to face. Recruit beta-testers who specialize in the mechanics of Boss-fights (We have quite a few lurking in the hive) and get criticism from them. Always remember though, you make the final call, don’t let anyone else force you to stray from your desires, but do try to take heed of their advice. If your RPG is released with less than satisfactory bosses, the instances will appear worse. If the instances aren’t fun to play in, the villains don't appear as bad as they should be. If the villain’s don’t appear bad, no emotional response is provoked from their actions, and the entire RPG will fail its one original goal. To get the players captivated in the world they are playing in.

4. Customization - Allow the players the ability to train the way they want to train. Don't restrict them in any way that would go against the world. Do what happy Cockroach did, and add a skill system. If your RPG is based off classes, add promotion quests or items to give the players room for expansion. Make it so the player feels THEY are unique to the person who is playing with them.

5. Final Battle/Conclusion/Ending - The entire RPG can be either a failure or a success based on the way you decide to conclude it. I have seen someone say regarding the story line "storyline that isn’t as cliché as "a dark overlord/wizard has taken over the world and now you have to save it." Although I agree with this, don’t shy away from a final battle. An Epic confrontation will always be a great way to reach a conclusion in an RPG. That is, if you can make it epic. If it ends up being anti-climactic, the RPG is yet again, a failure. Don't cut it off suddenly, ease out of it, and make the players aware the end is coming. An RPG will only be at the highest level of success if 3 feelings all sweep in, something that is well-known to me is. These feelings are a sense of unbelief, celebration, and sadness. You want the players to sit silent for a second in disbelief that such a great RPG was created, and reflect upon your journey. You want them to celebrate and have a sense of accomplishment as they have completed your difficult RPG. Lastly, you want them to feel sadness. You want them to feel sorrow over the fact that this fantastic journey is over, and the world they have been playing in is nothing more than a fantasy you have created. That, is what a true RPG should create.

If you can do what I have said, you are good to go.

~Asomath

Last edited:
Level 10
Something, i have always been missing is Professions. Alchemy, and Blacksmithing for example. Alchemists should be able to make potions, that do not only heal, but also increase stats for a short period of time, or be able to poison an enemy.
Blacksmithers should be able to create items, however it has a small chance to fail. Also, the last items able to make with blacksmithing should be on 8 or 9 of the 1-10 scale, meaning they're really good, however there still may be some thats better.
Finaly, all professions should have about 100 levels, you level up by creating things and such.

Level 6
What i want in an RPG? ill give you a hint, it begins with c and end with stomization.
Players need to feel they've created a character themselves, not just picked a few spells and gone to town. in general, if i can build COMPLETELY the type of character i want, its very very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.