• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Your Rpg opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello all, I'm in the process of gathering info on a upcoming project of mine and I'm almost finished. Before I start the ground work I want to hear your guys' opinion of what you think makes an awesome Rpg! some guidelines to follow:

If you have a favorite Rpg, which one is it?
What matters to you in a good Rpg?
What elements of Rpgs do you dislike?

Or describe your idea of the perfect Rpg!

Please remember it's inside of Warcraft 3 so nothing to crazy :goblin_good_job:

Level 14
Here is some advice: if you create an rpg dont ask other people for their opinions about the very basic concepts of your map. A great map is not a map that everyone likes (that does not exist), its a map that has a defined and well shaped style. Those people who like that style will play your map. But if you design a map only with respect to other peoples preferences you will end up with no central theme and the project will fail.

Level 6
1. WoW, old RuneScape
2. Teamwork, Variety (in what you can do), and Customization (in a small extent)
3. Grinding, Having to level when all your friends are high level :(

Good luck with your RPG project, and welcome to the Hive! c:

Level 2
Thanks for the info guys. And appreciated Muzzel, I felt it would be good to get involved with the community since I'm rather new :) my map's concept is 6 months in progress and I certainly won't stray from that.

Level 31
Favorite MMORPG
---------------------------------------------------------------

DDO

I recommend that you try this game out. It's problem is that it has too much content :p

What matters

Progression - you should always be progressing through the game. A gear treadmill isn't progress. Exploring new areas, mastering new skills (you master them, not your character), and so forth is progress. Once there is no more progress, a player will get bored and leave.

Interactive environments - static environments are very boring. The environment should always be a living thing. The environment may aid or help you in battle, etc. High level areas may have very difficult environments too.

Unique enemies - when dealing with enemies, be they politicians, other merchants, or whatever, those enemies should have unique quirks to them. An example would be having to deal with the shell on a giant crab. Furthermore, each enemy itself is unique.

In-depth gameplay - it's not about just killing things. A single-faceted shallow game like that is no fun.

Deep game mechanics - everything should be simple to do at first but be very deep. Easy to start, difficult to master. One example is a magic system that requires players to actually know the spells and craft them in real-time. Players would research new spells using a set of principles that define what spells are (similar to chemistry and physics).

Global relations - relations between cities, nations, kingdoms, empires, and so forth. A dynamic changing world.

Politics - Set dynamic (not static) policies for a given city. Relations with the people. Elections. Consider NPCs as well. A person should be able to dedicate themselves to being a politician.

Commerce - Global trade = bad. Should be able to set up shops and move between cities. A person should be able to dedicate themselves to commerce if they want to. Land, structures, items, whatever.

Artisanship - good meaningful crafting that actually matters (no gambling, no simple collection, I like to experiment in a more real-world type setting, meaning no combos! Do it all from scratch). A person should be able to dedicate themselves to being an artisan.

War - Actually join a military and go up in the ranks. Eventually lead battles and wars. Work with politicians, etc.

What's bad

Grinding - no real gameplay, no real progression

Arbitrary Gameplay Systems - whether complex or simple, these are bad

Poor UI

Simple Gameplay - it gets very boring very quickly

Theme Park - yea... as bad as grinding

Suggestion

Design your game around having no levels. Add levels or whatever you want in later on. This will ensure that you don't use levels as a crutch for progression. Do not use any leveling whatsoever for skills etc. Design your game around the player. You may have new items, but don't increase the power, just increase the utility. Once all of this is designed, you will then have a deep and meaningful game. You may then add levels ;). The levels and so forth would then be used as a new feature, not as a crutch to substitute for real progression.

Please also keep in mind that if it's a save/load online RPG, players will likely repeat the content several times. As such, linear progression, puzzles, and so forth won't be very good. You need to get away from problem solving.

Furthermore, if you design your game around utility, strategy, tactics, and twitch, low level players will be able to play with high level players just fine ^)^.

Levels do give a strong sense of progression.

Wait, three people play WoW, yet claim to like good lore and dislike grinding? You guys must suffer from a severe lack of perspective.

My favourites:Dragon Age: Origins, Star Wars: The Old Republic among MMOS and Vampires Dawn II in the old 8-bit style.
What makes it great: Easy to learn, difficult to master gameplay, good story, witty banter, exploration.
What I dislike: Grinding, repetitive gameplay, bad balance, especially unstable equilibriums.

Level 6
Pokemon RED
Creating a balanced Pokemonteam
Gary coming out of no where when all my ratata's are beaten down

Level 14
The problem with RPG maps compared to PvP maps is that you have very limited content for the players to go through. In a PvP the game changes everytime you play because your opponent behaves differently. In RPGs the players want to make progress while playing so they will naturally start playing the easier content and (when they feel like they have outplayed it) move on to more advanced content. Repeating that, the players will at some point reach the end of the map, which is a horrible thing because they cannot advance further. To avoid having players finish the map too early you add stuff like grinding, a mechanic that simply takes up time to slow down players.

I only know of one Wc3 RPG which i enjoyed playing that didnt make use of the classic grinding mechanic, "Ragos ORPG" (a very old, yet genious map).

Everyone hates grinding, but what people have even more is finishing a save/load rpg map in 2 hours and having nothing left to do.

Level 6
WC3:
Ragos ORPG: Teamplay. You have to look for good itembuilds and spells. Bossfights.
TKoK: Teamplay. Bossfights. Skilltree makes people think about good builds. (I hate the grinding part which sometimes arises.)
Gaias Retaliation: Bossfights. (I hate the grinding part very much.)
There've been a few other good WC3-RPGs which aren't playable anymore because of return bug fix :[.
Non-Wc3:
Guild Wars: Seriously, best RPG. You can't just go grind your ass off. With level 20 you are nearly maxed out, at least there aren't any better items. PURE SKILL NEEDED BITCH

Teamplay
Bossfights
well-thought-out spells/items such that people have to think about what to skill/take

GRINDING
If you can outlevel everything

Level 2
It makes me so happy to still see Wc3 active and only motivates me more.

Thank you for all the info everyone it was really insightful.

I really love RPGs, they are such a HUGE passion of mine and I want to bring my vision to you guys, I want to give you guys a deep experience with many ways to achieve your goals and keep you on your toes (This last one is very important because I find I get bored easily), not just mindless killing.

Status
Not open for further replies.