• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Your opinion needed! - Villager + Attach vs Hero Models

What do you like ? ( multiple choice)

• Same model in the whole game, using a custom model

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Villager model using attachments

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Villager models with customizable model, attachments

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Tier up system -> different models ( not) mathing each other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hello,

I have a RPG project I work on now and then, no pressure as it is pretty big, and I struggle with the following point:

When firstly creating the basic concept and ideas, I decided to use the villager model as a base and many attachments, as it is great to give your hero an unique look depending on items.
Additionally, I wanted to give the option to 'design' your basic model, changing basic parts like different heads and such.

Now, having created more of the content, I am not sure about it anymore.
Hive offers many great attachments and they fill in in many items I created, but there are still many missing. So I would have to create many myself or recruit a modeller to do so.

I would like to hear your opinion, what would you prefer in a RPG/ORPG map ?
A customizable hero ( = ~ villager model), with look depending on items and abilities or
custom models matching their class, like a Paladin-like model for Paladin.

I would be glad to hear your opinion :)

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

At best you can attach different heads/arms/ect to attachment points, but they will stay unanimated.
This does not mean that a model using an arm attachment, for example, will not animate the arm when attack, does it ?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

The arm will follow the movement of the attachment point and it's rotation, but attachments can only use three animations: Birth, stand, and death. So yeah, the arm will move around, but it wont do anything else.

Hm, I guess its fine. Tho, I might not add this feature reading your comment.

Level 28
Maybe make the villager the base, and the models for prestige classes?

For example, if at a high level the PC has healing and melee combat skills he becomes a paladin, losing the other spells he's learned but improving the paladin spells. Buff magic and healing, becomes a priest; summon magic and destructive, archmage, etc.

Same for weapons, if he specializes in one switch to a model that gets a bonus with that weapon equipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.