• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

So i'm making an ORPG...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
So i've begun making an ORPG.

Currently working on the terrain ( i've a pretty good idea of how i want it to look ) and so far i'm happy with what i've made.
So in the mean i need to come up with the gameplay aspects of it.

Anyway i was thinking about heroes...
i could simply have all sorts of races and heroes with all their own models etc.
But here was another idea i had ;
Let's say you choose a race, after that you're free to do what you will, you can stop by the local mage to learn spells and become a mage, or you could purchase a sword and play like a warrior.
Basically your actions define your character, rather then what you pick at the start.

Tell me wich type you prefer, or if you have an even better idea.
Or anything else related to ORPG's is appreciated.

If you want me to post some screenies of the map so far just ask.

Level 10
Fair enough, now lemme see... I can imagine spells being buyable. Maybe even something similar for warrior type characters but maybe its called something like "Combat Techniques". However to differentiate them from magic i could make them all be passive? ( Like, critical strike, counter attack, etc... )
Just an idea.

Not sure how i would handle stealth though, any thoughts?

Level 6
Imo it is a great idea. Definitely go with it.

And I would go simply with spells which you buy. Now, they can be upgradable but what about using a stat system ? Spells which scale with strength, agility and intelligence?

For example :
Magic bolt - Deals x + y*intelligence damage
Quad-strike - Deals 4 quick attacks each dealing x*agility damage
Violent smash - Deals x*strength damage

Then you can have items which increase stats and build up your character that way.

You can also have spells which deal damage based on 2 stats (int & agi for instance), and gear to make most of it. Basically, you can just get int-based gear and spells and play a classic mage, or mix up some int and agi spells, get some mixed gear and have a rogue-mage mixture.

And stealth can just be bought like a regular spell. Maybe make it reveal the unit when it gets close to another unit? Overused concept, I know, but it should work >.>

Level 10
thanks EMP, though with stealth i actually meant agility type characters, ( sneaky characters etc... ).

Using stats based spells seems the best idea, though i reckon i will have to make certain equipment have stat-requirements... like heavier and stronger armors have a high strength requirement and such.

If you've anything else to share related to orpgs please do. Appreciate all the input ;)

Level 11
I agree with your idea option of 'actions define the character' gameplay style. Yet, players should be able to change, if they wish. So a warrior could re-play as a mage. Or even be a mage warrior! That would be very cool, if you let classes meld together. It would make any player unique in their own style.
If you allow characters to meld classes together, I would limit it to 2. So, for example, if someone starts getting magic and warrior based abilities, the amount of 'assassin' abilties one can get is none, or atleast limited.
Do you understand my drift?

Level 10
I think so Silverfish, players can definately meld classes as much or as little as they like.
As for the limiting thing, here's the deal;
Spells will always do damage based on their attribute, ( assasin spells based on agility and so forth ), so when a mage decides to use of those assasin spells it would do terrible damage anyway.
And / Or the spells could also have stat-requirements in order to learn them.
I hope that made any sense :p

If it did, what do you think?

Level 4
For You ORPG
make a imaginary story and make class like warrior , archer , assasin etch.
Use BBCODES and use Epic Systems like : Save/Load System , Fighting System , Camera System and etch. An ORPG Needs Epic Weapons or Attachment like sword , mace hammers , sickel etch. And Use Silverfish advice .

Ras

Ras

Level 6
Umm ideas, i am creating a orpg too. but my character for the orpg are murloc, yes murloc :D, ideas for you : ramdom events (gold bonus-exp bonus) make secrets, the more interesting of a few of map is the secrets, secrets bosses, items, events, etc.
-and a ultimate boss, you need a good team (healer-dps-damage caster-etc.) work in group for kill the ultimate boss. .... an nothing more :D

Level 8
well you should do sumthing about the race factor. i mean.. why pick a race when there is no difference among them.. at least give them innate abilities.. ( EX: worgens have berserk, as hp goes down, attack speed goes up. another one: night elves have night vision, when its night, they can see more areas )

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.