• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wc3:WoW Triggering Contest {FINISHED}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25

Wc3:WoW's WoW System Mini-Contest
Contest Deadline: July 25, 2008.
Greetings fellow fans of Wc3:WoW!
It has been decided that Wc3:WoW needs some help with triggers and systems. So we decided to host a World Of Warcraft System Replica contest! Make your system in Warcraft III's World Editor. The goal is to make a system that is very much alike one in World of WarCraft.

You can submit up to five COMPLETE triggered systems, but only one is needed. Feel free to make a system we have not yet confirmed to be made yet for Wc3:WoW. If you would like to make one which we need most, you can make a World of WarCraft combat enter & exit system. When engaging in combat or when engaged in combat, you will enter combat mode. There should be a variable or trigger of some sort which activates when this happens, to allow us to modify it if needed to disable specific spells and items. If you make a system which is not in World of WarCraft, your entry will not be accepted and will have to make a system which is in World of WarCraft.

You can make the system map playable to better demonstrate how it works and can also earn an extra point or two if it helps dramatically and is well made. Try to restrain yourself from using custom models, textures, etc.

What we're looking for:
  • A well triggered system that is a close replica of one made in World of WarCraft.
  • Clean coding and low to no amount of leaks. Messy trigger work will result in minus points.
  • Do not base your triggers from other people's work. This will be considered cheating and will have you disqualified if caught.
  • All triggers must work with campaigns, or else its useless.

What we're not looking for:
  • Stealing triggers from other already made maps.
  • Messy trigger/coding work.
  • Leaks.
  • Working from someone elses map is not allowed.
  • Non-WoW triggered systems.
  • A remake of a system we've already made for Wc3:WoW.
  • vJASS is not allowed! vJASS triggers will not be used and can get you disqualified.
  • Simple system entrys like floating names above characters.

Some example systems:
  • Flight path system for a campaign to bring a player from map to map.
  • Looting system.
  • Guild creation system.
  • Combat Enter/Exit System.
  • Character customization system. (Custom models and textures permitted)
  • Jumping system.
  • Different attack damages and speeds depending what items are equipped at a time. DPS. Must work for at least one hero character.
  • Quest system.
  • Underwater and surface water swimming. (Don't forget that you cannot breathe underwater unless you get Underwater Breathing buff)
  • Item durability loss system.
  • Slow fall system. (A mage spell which allows a mage to jump off a - for example - cliff and slowly fall to the ground, having no damage inflicted from the landing)
  • Bank system.
  • Auction House system.

The winner will receive credit on the website's The Team page, get additional +reputation over at the Hive Workshop, be added to the Closed Beta Testing team at least for one session, and will be given a new title to replace "Member" to "System Contest Winner" and will also be able to choose any color they wish to show in their user name such as turning "Craka_J" to "Craka_J". A select few of the winners will most likely asked to join the Wc3:WoW team to help trigger the great project as well.

There will be second and third place winners as well, but their rewards won't be as supreme. Here is the rewards list:
First Place Winner:
  • Gets put into the Closed Beta Testing Team and will have a chance to experience new features and so on that has never been seen before in public!
  • Username color change at the old official forum and at this forum.
  • 1st Place System winner may have a chance of being recruited to the team.
  • Title at Official Forum for first place winner of Wc3:WoW System Contest.
  • +Reputation points. (Amount pending)
Second Place Winner
  • +Reputation Points. (Amount pending)
  • Gets put into the Closed Beta Testing Team and will have a chance to experience new features and so on that has never been seen before in public!
  • Title at Official Forum for second place winner of Wc3:WoW System Contest.
Third Place Winner:
  • +Reputation Points. (Amount pending)
  • Title at Official Forum for third place winner of Wc3:WoW System Contest.

Here are some answers that should answer a few of your questions (if any):
  • Triggers must be done 100% by you only.
  • Partners are not permitted.
  • System(s) entries submitted must be very close to or exactly like the ones in World of WarCraft.
  • Stealing other people's work will disqualify you from the contest.
  • Custom models and textures are not recommended, but if needed to help enhance a system, it is permitted.
  • Using another person's map - even for terrain purposes - will give minus points.
  • Systems that were introduced in the expansion are not wanted!
  • Custom models, skins, etc. is permitted. But cannot be exported from WoW or Wc3:WoW.
  • You must provide a screenshot or video of your system in use to provide a preview / walkthrough.
  • vJASS is not permitted!
  • JASS and GUI are both permitted. JASS is prefered.

Contest Deadline: July 25, 2008.

Competitors(9)
Best of luck to you all!
~Craka_J; Leader of the Wc3:WoW Team

Last edited:
Level 11
This sounds like poor design if anything, I mean the systems have to work together or else it's not going to work at all, even if they're not made by the same person, you still need a good communication between systems (and thus between programmers) in order to pull off such a large project. Which is usually why so few people use anything but the most generic systems (Caster system, knockbacks) because it has to be specialized and each map has it's own requirements. For example, how do I make a flight system if I dont know how you connect your maps. You're kinda barking up the wrong tree here, if you're going to do it this way I'd say you at the least have to spell out how everything works, any nuances for any of the systems and then hope people help out.

Level 4
Sounds good I´m working on a new profesion system for one of my maps atm. everything ive seen from titorials have not been very well done. I´m going to have it up to level 75 on both mining and blacksmithing. I´ll use gui since i am not very experienced with jass.

Level 17
I'm thinking a Dungeon-like system, respawn, if you die when fighting he will get 100% hp back, and so on.

First i need to get my WC3 to work. :(

Level 8
Here are some of the things I can try to do, I cannot promise I can get ALL of them done, but I will definatly try them.

1. Flight path system for a campaign to bring a player from map to map.

2 .Different attack damages and speeds depending what items are equipped at a time. DPS. Must work for at least one hero character.

3. Auction House system.

4. Character customization system.

5. Quest system.

These are the main ones I feel I could do. If theres anything else I think I can do and I've tried all of these, i'll do them, but these are ones ill be focused on.

Level 5
Please try to keep the systems as basic as possible. Here are a few good easy ones:

Flight path
Combat Enter/Exit System
Character customization system
New arrow key movement system - We have one right now but it needs some tweaking.

I'll probably end up doing the ones not listed. Due to the fact that our many intertwining systems make it very hard to do stuff unless you have the campaign.

Anyways, keep the systems as simple and standalone as possible. And if you think of more systems that aren't listed feel free to do them as well.

Level 12
I think I'm in. I don't know, first I have to decide what I'll do. Then I have to reboot my computer so the WE will work again.
...Long story.

Level 12
Uhm, okay I've decided. What you had as an example.
-Different attack damages and speeds depending what items are equipped at a time. DPS. Must work for at least one hero character.
I know how this can be done, but...

Is it okay if I don't use JASS, GUI, or anything of the sort, but just normal condition, event, and action Wc3 triggers?

And what does DPS stand for? I'm not really good at triggers. I was just browsing the forums and I saw this, thought I might read it, and then bam, I realized I could actually do some of these without and complex code.

Level 12
Oh. Well then, thanks Skudge. Yes, then I'm doing it in GUI. I've only had one problem so far, but I'm working on it.

Level 4
Just a couple of things to think about

im thinking about doing a combat system (weapon dmg + AP / 14 x attack speed) stuff like that with lifestealing, crusader, shamy weapon adds i am almost done with the profession system

Aggro system
Drop system
Mount system
Battleground system
Fishing system
Reputation system
Suffix system
Enchant system
Boat system
Dodge system
Crit system
Miss system
Parry system
Duel wield system
Spell dmg system
Attack power system
cast bar system <--- possible?

Level 12
Augh. You know what, screw this. WEU isn't letting me do anything. UMSWE doesn't work on my comp, and nor does NewGen. I'm just not going to do this. This is making me so mad. I'm just either going to start over or quit. >->

Level 25
Sounds like an early drop out to me. But I'll keep you in until it's confirmed that you've quit.

As for bobmanone, that's a lot to do. Getting all that done - and doing it right and cleanly too - will be very good of an entry. :grin:

~Craka_J

Level 12
Yeah, that probably would be a great entry. No doubt he'd be one of the winners, if he could do ALL of that AND make it bug-free.

You see, it's no wonder I can't do this. I can only trigger in GUI. I'm more of a terrain guy. Speaking of which. I applied to terrain for Wc3:WoW. I just finished a terrain I started this morning. I got a response saying that I need to submit a preview of my work. I' should do that, I'd rather be a terrainer than a triggerer.

Level 12
Well I did get an email back so hah. =p
Ugh having some internet problems with my PC. I'm on my laptop now and I'd send them all (the screenshots) over but I can't because my laptop can't run Warcraft 3 for it's life.

Level 4
Hey there, I'm not an advanced map-maker and I'm new around here (hive), but I want to join your contest. What exactly you are looking for? Some codes to be copied and pasted here or a simple map that shows our codes are working?

I used to work on an aggro system for one of my maps. I could work on that, or maybe a system which deals with spells that uses custom cooldown/damage/mana cost/duration/ etc. And as you mentioned, all of these can be changed with talents or items or buffs that the character has that time.

So, I'm in.

Level 25
I don't mind CnPing codes, HOWEVER, stealing entire systems from other people disqualifies you from the contest immediately. If you do use other people's code, even as reference, you must provide credit to the people you took code/triggers from.

[EDIT]:
This contest now has a deadline. The new deadline is on July 25th, 2008. Late entries are not acceptable, but early ones are permitted. How do you submit your entry? Simply post in this thread and attach the trigger map(s) you've made to your post. You must also say that it's your final map version.

~Craka_J

Level 34
I'll work on a quest system as I've been trying to get one done. But mine is MUI which is pointless for this.

Can't you just use the normal wc3 quest system?

Level 4
ya half of my system has a bug most inexpirienced triggerers have, i have no idea how to make a multi instanceable triggers so my mining respawn system is done till i learn how but my blacksmithing is almost complete, im going to complete it after the contest and submit it to the system section.

Status
Not open for further replies.