• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wc3 Fun Mapmaking Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
AHHHH 1 minute to gooo! ahaha

I recorded my entire build, it'll be up on youtube.

I slacked off alot and started late because i thought this started today and ended sunday.

O well, Ill do better next time.

Ill also be recording everyones game play when we play.

Attachments

• Overwhelm.w3x
    365.8 KB · Views: 325
Level 25
It was fun. I guess we next time need some more rules about how many players the maps should have, etc. And make sure those revive triggers work like they should ;)

I just have one critism:
If you play with english speaking players, prata för fan engelska då, börja inte snacka tyska.

Level 9
It was fun. I guess we next time need some more rules about how many players the maps should have, etc. And make sure those revive triggers work like they should ;)

I just have one critism:
If you play with english speaking players, prata för fan engelska då, börja inte snacka tyska.

+1 to that.

I got 142 gb of footage of everyone's games. It'll take several hours [4-5] to render, ill post the video on this thread once it's done.

I'm rendering my map development video atm

Level 4
I would like to officially apologise to all people who suffered from my bugged Resurection Triggers. We did our alpha-tests with only 3 people and never tested all the other players.

I have fixed them, so if you are interested in playing our hardcore Escape map: https://wc3-fun-mapmaking-challenge-map.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Escape.w3x
I might add checkpoints to make the whole map a bit easier though.

Zhall's video was really fun to watch and showed some funny bugs too :D

Level 25
Well I had fun creating and playing these :) When is the next one?
And some guidelines for the next one...

1) 12 Players?
2) Make sure your revive triggers doesn't kill people
3) Have a victory condition
4) Try to remove leaks
5) ???
6) Have fun

Level 25
Yeah, the contest is against yourself, you're competing to see if you can complete a map in a short time scale while also being as creative as possible. Seeing how different the maps were last time, it would be hard to judge them..

Level 9
There were a lot of entries this time. They are now collected in the first post, also Zhall's Video of the evening, which shew much failure but was funny anyway.

@Zhall: Your dev video is not available in my country due to music copyrights.

Sorry, I know, I accidentally wandered onto youtube while working, and my record was still going.

@Zhall I was watching some of that in fullscreen and tried to alt+qxx out of it.

haha, the quality wasn't too bad huh? 142 gb of raw footage.

Level 13
Hopefully, I'll have time to participate with a map on the 3rd round.
The growth of participants is nice, WaterKnight seems to do it right.
But if there are even more participants on the next round we need a second HostBot, because there were often more then 12 players.

Well I had fun creating and playing these :) When is the next one?

The first round was 21st December and the second round was 21st February. So the third round could be around 18th April.

And some guidelines for the next one...

1) 12 Players?
2) Make sure your revive triggers doesn't kill people
3) Have a victory condition
4) Try to remove leaks
5) ???
6) Have fun

I don't think additional rules/guidelines would bring any positiv effect.
This is about the creativity of creating and even a single player map has its' place.
But sure, if one is taking a brief look on the older entries one can easily see what kind of maps are more succesful as for example multiplayer maps.

we should really transform this into a contest to get more people participating. Looking forward for the next funmap making challenge.

Contest? Hell no!
No judges, no poll. This stuff does not fit here.
It really does not need more people but sure it would be cool if more people would be there.
But then again a second HostBot would be necessary.

Another point for this shouldn't being a contest is that it is presented on multiple forums. Calling this a hive event would be a mistake.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
This was fun!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-04-05 22.58.08.png
    Screenshot 2014-04-05 22.58.08.png
    813.5 KB · Views: 149
Level 26
Before the event starts, I will announce two genres and two keywords. Your project should base on one of those two genres (at least, you can make a hybrid or mix with further genres) and involve both keywords.

The pool of possibly rolled genres is shown above. Since escape and rpg/adventure were drawn last time, they are blocked this round and thus marked red.

Level 26
What's a macro war? Strategy with a big economic aspect? Indeed misc is what does not suffice the other genres. What I wanted to avoid however were non-playable maps like Cinematics and Melees/Altered Melees. If you take a look at the Hive's maps' categorization, you can see some things the misc term here currently contains: Defense (except TD), Life of a Peasant, Mini-Game, Offense, Shooting/FPS, Strategy/Risk. Then again Hive has a Miscellanous/Other category as well. I may extract from misc in the future.

Further suggestions for misc would be missile maps, sports, card games as you said, in general alternative gameplay concepts.

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
What's a macro war? Strategy with a big economic aspect? Indeed misc is what does not suffice the other genres. What I wanted to avoid however were non-playable maps like Cinematics and Melees/Altered Melees.

I think the keyword should be open to the users interpretation. A macro war could be a war with a huge amount of units, or a huge emphasis on economics, etc.

I think altered melee maps are reasonable, and I don't see how "macro war" and other more specific categories create a problem with cinematics/melees...

Level 26
I think the keyword should be open to the users interpretation.

They are.

I think altered melee maps are reasonable, and I don't see how "macro war" and other more specific categories create a problem with cinematics/melees...

Altered melees would contain a lot of standard content, therefore be less original. And they also have to be quite structured, thus are not as extendable nor temporally flexible.

I do not know what you mean in the last part. I only said that you can take a look at the Hive's categories as an example to what currently qualifies as misc, except that I aimed to exclude cinematics, non-playables and melee.

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
Altered melees would contain a lot of standard content, therefore be less original. And they also have to be quite structured, thus are not as extendable nor temporally flexible.

Standard content can be re-used in any game mode (see my map from the last challenge).

I think if everyone is making an altered melee map (for one specific challenge instance) it can be creative and interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.